borisbadenov ATI X1000-series Solution

RobNyc

1,381 posts in this topic

depeo

macfreak9209

You are both running Asus EAX1600XT Silent cards. I can assure you that I have seen those corrupt screens before (on my card) and the only solution was to flash the video card BIOS with the Sapphire X1600XT BIOS linked in my earlier post. I spent two weeks staring at garbage like that, so I'm quite sure that there is no alternative. I tried all possible variations of the borisbadenov solution. The only reason that I had the courage to do it was that I had bought the card and could not return it, and I had exhausted all other possibilities.

Aberracus

I believe the original BIOS version (that did NOT work) and date from my Asus X1600XT is:

BK-ATI VER009.012.004.002 12/14/05 08:38

Whereas the Sapphire one that worked was:

BK-ATI VER009.012.001.007 12/02/05 01:39

So it seems that the older version is the one that worked. This may explain some of the failures people are describing with the Asus X1600XT Silent--the BIOS is newer!

In order to clear up some confusion, the Graphics/Displays section of the "About This Mac" MUST look like this for full acceleration:

Radeon X1600 Series:

Chipset Model: Radeon X1600 Series

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c0

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

VGA Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

I found that if the information does not reflect the fact that an X1600 has been found, it may say that CI/QE are supported, but the benchmark evidence does not corroborate it--the display runs slowly. This was the situation before the application of the borisbadenov method and the BIOS transplant. If I did badenov, but not the BIOS change, I got the corrupt screen results like depeo and macfreak9209. After the BIOS change, badenov worked and the machine came up with the critical indicators of success: detected the card by name, CI/QE supported, and rotation enabled.

Being an XT Silent, the DVI also worked.

Finally, I must emphasize that playing with kexts, for me, was a total waste of time. After the flash, the card worked perfectly with 10.4.3-10.4.7. I could not break it again!

In my last post, I thanked members of this forum for their help in getting this going, but I forgot to thank Apple for making the best OS I have ever used. OS X is amazingly stable. I am recommending it to every Windoze user I encounter.

Jemm

Hi everyone.

Yesterday I finally got me a Sapphire Radeon X1600Pro 256 MB AGP, so I could tinker around with this method. My monitor is recognized correctly, but the card is shown as "VGA-compatible controller"

What I found out was:

1. modifications are only necessary for ATINDRV.kext and ATIRadeonX1000.kext. The changes described for the ATIRadeonX1000GA.kext are not essential for this method to work.

2. Changing IOMatchCathegory from IOFramebuffer to IONDRVFramebuffer or IOATINDRVFramebuffer, both result in the system "recognizing" two monitors (even if there is only one connected). The second monitor seems to support only 1024x768, like the TV-Out. But I get no picture from TV-Out. Connected a second monitor and synced the two monitors, I had the cloned image on the second monitor (which is connected to DVI-I via VGA-adaptor), but both with the lower resolution 1024x768.

3. For TV-Out support I tried to add the DEV_ID of the secondary graphics adaptor into ATIRadeonX1000.kext which resulted in kernel panic. Installing the original software from ATI (ATI DISPLAYS 4.5.7) didn't work out, as I already expected, but provided another useful hint. A new extension was added, named ATITVOut.kext.

In no version of OSX86 I've seen this extension before. I guess this extension is essential for TV-out to work. Maybe they're gonna add it soon...

4. Any changes of IOProbeScore resulted in not-changeable-vesa-resolution, but QE & CI enabled.

That's all for now, I'll keep trying.

Greetz, Reno

I have a question for anyone running a PCIe version of X1600/X1800. Is your card detected as PCIe or PCI? I'm wondering if this is why mine fails to work with this hack. I have full 3d support without the hack, but when I do the hack, it fails after loading loginwindow.app.

I have a question for anyone running a PCIe version of X1600/X1800. Is your card detected as PCIe or PCI? I'm wondering if this is why mine fails to work with this hack. I have full 3d support without the hack, but when I do the hack, it fails after loading loginwindow.app.

I dont know about that, but maybe the problem lies in your chipset? Just thinking....

That is what I'm trying to figure out. I have already posted about a possibility of it being the Radeon Crossfire X3200 chipset or my previous Crossfire X200 chipset. Superhai I believe said that he was using a crossfire chipset and using an X1800GTO like mine and it worked. If I had a motherboard with just one PCIe slot, I'd like to try it, but alas, I don't.

That is what I'm trying to figure out. I have already posted about a possibility of it being the Radeon Crossfire X3200 chipset or my previous Crossfire X200 chipset. Superhai I believe said that he was using a crossfire chipset and using an X1800GTO like mine and it worked. If I had a motherboard with just one PCIe slot, I'd like to try it, but alas, I don't.

I dont personally think its the dual slots. There are many people to get it working with crossfire intel shipset motherboards, i'll let you know when i receive mine. Rammjet has it working with the Asus P5WD2 Premium, i am getting this but he uses a x1600 series card. I have a x1800xl, could be that the x1800 series doesnt like crossfire motherboards? We will see...

Just a thought...

I believe the Macbook/Pro/iMac have the Mobility chipset in them dont they? I seem to recall reading this somewhere, backed up by the fact that someone else I read after said that his iMac, using Winblows and ATITool, reported speeds at 300/300, or something like that (core/mem). Now, Im running my core at 680 (100mhz overclock in Windows) and 800 mem (110mhs overlock in Windows). Im wondering if the artifacts and stuff doesnt stem from the fact that the stock speeds are considered overclocked by OSX? Possibly?

Anyone?

Just a thought...

I believe the Macbook/Pro/iMac have the Mobility chipset in them dont they? I seem to recall reading this somewhere, backed up by the fact that someone else I read after said that his iMac, using Winblows and ATITool, reported speeds at 300/300, or something like that (core/mem). Now, Im running my core at 680 (100mhz overclock in Windows) and 800 mem (110mhs overlock in Windows). Im wondering if the artifacts and stuff doesnt stem from the fact that the stock speeds are considered overclocked by OSX? Possibly?

Anyone?

A few people have a had the same thoughts. I dont really think that is the case. Artifacts are caused by to much heat, not because the program that is using the card thinks that it is overclocked to high.

A few people have a had the same thoughts. I dont really think that is the case. Artifacts are caused by to much heat, not because the program that is using the card thinks that it is overclocked to high.

True, too much heat can cause them, but I get them from any higher clock speed on my core or memory, and its no where near hot. It doesnt even break 50*C actually. I wonder if the drivers can only handle it up to a certain point or something, because, when I push too far, I usually start getting driver errors resulting in either a hard lock, or a VPU recover...

The wire trick? Which one did you tried?

My freind is sending me his x1300 as he bought a x1600 and I´d like to try.

I dont speak english very weel I will try to explain....

I have a laptop dell Inspiron 1300 with the intel 915 graphics, when I tried to install OSX86 it boots, but stop in the login window with a Blue screen Like you say before.

After a little search I find that the driver tries to get video out through the wrong place, to solve it I need to connect a monitor to the vga port in the laptop, and for get video out through the lcd screen I need to make the "Wire trick", connecting some pins of the vga port with a wire so the driver thinks that a monitor is connected to this port. And finally I get video in the lcd screen of the laptop.

In my desktop I bough a x1800gto I applied the boris method and I get before the login window a white screen and nothing after that. So I belive it could be something like the laptop problem, this x1800gto card has dual dvi and comes with two dvi to vga adapters so i conect my ctr monitor through the first dvi port and in the second i connect the other dvi adapter and did the same short between the pins of the vga port of the adapter. and It works!!! .

so thats why I suggest you the "wire trick"

http://img286.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg05567zo7an.jpg

This image was post by Bak3r Jun 29 2006, 02:13 PM

Good Luck

ma la soluzione di boris funziona con una sapphire x1600xt su 10.4.6 jas o devo per forza mettere su 10.4.5 o 10.4.4

da me non funzionano nessuna delle 2

o metto 10.4.3 o 10.4.6

ps se la asus va bene su 10.4.6 posso flshare la skeda col bios asus silent o la rovino?

fatemi sapere!

è da un mese k giro ma nn trovo la soluzione!

Hi,

it stows reading on its metodo to modify drivers ATI, would

like to know and it exists the possibility of these modifications to

work in a ATI9600XT AGP?

grateful for atention, and soory my poor Inglish

Used NeoPheus Installer!

Everything works! DVI, VGA, QE, and CI!

Have not tried dual display, nor HD outs.

Card Is registering at only 256mb of VRAM on system profiler rather than the actual 512mb :(

Will this afect the actual 512 VRAM Preformance? Is there a way to fix this? Need help Please!

CIV4 Not Working! Nooooooooooooooooo!

I upgraded from the ATI 9550, to the X1600 today! Everything great until I'm ready to return to my game, only to find out it crashes!!!!

It was working ok, with the 9550, no game with the x1600pro.

I need serious help! Please

Okay, so here's the deal with my situation. I work as a computer tech for my university and we got some brand new Dell GX620's the other day and we were setting them up yesterday. My boss said I could try my experiment on one of them. I took my Radeon X1800GTO flashed to X1800XL and installed it onto the Dell. I then installed 10.4.5 from Myzar's disk and after installing the Neophus 3.2 package, it worked flawlessly. Full 2D and 3D acceleration, Rotation, etc. I didn't have a DVI monitor at the time so I didn't get to check it, but I imagine it would work since it is a Dual DVI card. I also didn't get to try sleep.

The point is, my card worked great which means that it's my motherboard causing my problem. It seems that the ATI chipset is causing the problem with detecting the card correctly.

Hi!

I also have the Asrock motherboard with GMA900, CeleronD2.4 and 1GB. I'm using 10.4.6 and it works pretty well, but sometimes it's a little slow. So my question to borisbadenov is: How much faster did your system become after You added the 1600? I don't play anymore, but if you can confirm that it will be faster in normal usage too (iPhoto, iMovie etc) I will buy the MSIx1600PRO card.

Greetings from Finland

Figured it out! Neophus 3.2 package, replaces OpenGL.framework and installs a new one. Luckly the installer, also make a backup of the old one, located at Backup/

Here is the command line to get the aspyr games to work:

sudo mv /Backup/OpenGL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/

It will ask you if you'd like to replace the existing, answer yes, then reboot!

It doesn't seem to have afected anything else! Why does the installer remove the framework and adds one of is own?

Best

Figured it out! Neophus 3.2 package, replaces OpenGL.framework and installs a new one. Luckly the installer, also make a backup of the old one, located at Backup/

Here is the command line to get the aspyr games to work:

sudo mv /Backup/OpenGL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/

It will ask you if you'd like to replace the existing, answer yes, then reboot!

It doesn't seem to have afected anything else! Why does the installer remove the framework and adds one of is own?

Best

Because the new framework (included in 3.2) is from 10.4.7 and its faster for some computers!

Did you have problems with the new framework?

PS.: And I'm NeoPheus not NeoPhus :D

Sorry NeoPheus :P

After I replaced the Framework with the one located on the Backup folder made by the installer, the games worked fine, and I haven't had any negative effects that I have noticed.

note: Before I used the installer I was already running 10.4.7 update by Jas. Would the 10.4.7 framework not install with the update?

Thanks for your work NeoPheus