borisbadenov ATI X1000-series Solution

RobNyc

1,381 posts in this topic

I have a question - it is possible to ennable Quartz Extreme 2d on a x1600xt pci-e bus ?? of course that I have using boris methos ... at this point quartz debug is telling me that quartz extreme 2d is not supported - ani advice ?

Follow the QE2D link in my signature.

So has anyone got the internal display on a laptop to work? I have an Asus S96j which has a X1600 mobility and it works fine with boris' method through the external VGA display but I cannot get it to work on the laptop display at all. ARG! I'm so close to getting 10.4.4 OSX to work on this laptop.

I'm assuming this is the DVI problem noted on other cards. I noticed that in Windows it lists a device ID "subsystem" of 10B21043 that I presume is the monitor display (the monitor's ID is AUO1974) but I have no idea of how to get OSX to recognize the display. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have installed the patch for x1600 cards with NeoPheus's patch. Everything was working fine. Now it is going back to standard graphics.

Did the following:

-Repair Permissions

-reboot.

-remove patch

-reboot

-reinstall patch

-reboot

Have:

ASRock 915DL

MSI ATI X1600

Any tips?

Thanks

HI!

Is this the right Graphic Card?:

1130142279_873.jpg

thx

Yep that Asus dont have the DVI issue, you can use any type of connector but still only single display still no dual display :D . Its the only advantage over all other X1600 PRO/XT/XL.

Well, I received and have had a good chance to play with my Asus X1600 XT Silent card, and am quite impressed with the results I've obtained compared to my Sapphire X1600 XT. As was already noted by other posters on this forum:

1. DVI-D connection to my LCD display works flawlessly

2. ACPI S3 STR works perfectly (sleeps, and more importantly, wakes up)

Some additional differences I noted:

3. Because the LCD display can now be correctly detected, I get the correct resolution throughout the bootup and login screens (1600x1200). With the Sapphire card, it would boot with a lower resolution through the login screen, and only switch to 1600x1200 after login.

4. Again, because the LCD can now be correctly detected, I get the correct resolution (1600x1200) even when booting into safe mode with -x.

One difference which I wasn't counting on:

5. XBench graphics scores for Quartz and OpenGL graphics are significantly higher with the Asus than with the Sapphire. I don't mean by just a small margin, either. I mean 15% higher overall, and more important consistently. This is using the same settings and same hardware, apart from the graphics card.

And now for the bad news:

6. While I was able to extract the Asus BIOS and flash it to the Sapphire card, the Sapphire card once flashed with the Asus BIOS would not initialise properly in graphics mode. Luckily, I was able to flash the Sapphire card back with no problems. This indicates that there is more than a BIOS difference between these two cards. This is also consistent with the speed differences noted.

While this won't be any help for the rest of the community using Sapphire cards, it does confirm that the Asus card really is the best choice for ox86. I think I will now be flogging my Sapphire card off on TradeMe (NZ equivalent of eBay). Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

lYEs i play all the game sfrom within osx without any problem. i really was lucky choosing that card without knowing it was the best for Mac OSX. something should put the asus 1600xt silent in the hcl of the wiki as THE CARD for OSX....

Well, I received and have had a good chance to play with my Asus X1600 XT Silent card, and am quite impressed with the results I've obtained compared to my Sapphire X1600 XT. As was already noted by other posters on this forum:

Some additional differences I noted:

3. Because the LCD display can now be correctly detected, I get the correct resolution throughout the bootup and login screens (1600x1200). With the Sapphire card, it would boot with a lower resolution through the login screen, and only switch to 1600x1200 after login.

4. Again, because the LCD can now be correctly detected, I get the correct resolution (1600x1200) even when booting into safe mode with -x.

One difference which I wasn't counting on:

5. XBench graphics scores for Quartz and OpenGL graphics are significantly higher with the Asus than with the Sapphire. I don't mean by just a small margin, either. I mean 15% higher overall, and more important consistently. This is using the same settings and same hardware, apart from the graphics card.

And now for the bad news:

6. While I was able to extract the Asus BIOS and flash it to the Sapphire card, the Sapphire card once flashed with the Asus BIOS would not initialise properly in graphics mode. Luckily, I was able to flash the Sapphire card back with no problems. This indicates that there is more than a BIOS difference between these two cards. This is also consistent with the speed differences noted.

While this won't be any help for the rest of the community using Sapphire cards, it does confirm that the Asus card really is the best choice for ox86. I think I will now be flogging my Sapphire card off on TradeMe (NZ equivalent of eBay). Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Hey, you don't have to be sorry I think you did more than excellent job :spam:

Thanks for your little experiment..I think a lot of ppl here would really appreciate it

So, as I previously suspected, it's the bios plus pcb design or something..hmmm

Thanks again for your effort :blink:

Just thoughts.

Has anyone tried reading the flash from a Intel Mac 1600XT?

I dont believe the Power Macs come with the 1600XT...

and most likely the Intel iMacs 1600XT's flash are not compatible.

Perhaps in August when the new Intel PowerMac's come out.. then we can do a 1600xt Flash Read (that is if the PowerMacs come with the 1600xt)

I have hacked a few PC 9800's resoldered larger eeproms on them to hold mac flash info and the have worked in macs.

Not sure if the Mac ATI 1600xt's will have larger flash sizes.

Again, just thoughts..

~~~~.

Tom,

I have exactly the same card, but I tried several patches (original 10.4.6. kexts, and also 10.4.4 and 10.4.4) but until now I can not use DVI with selectabe resolutions, only 1024 x 768.

VGA works like a charm, but DVI would be better.

Can you tell us / me exactly what kexts you patched, how, and what version you used.

Your response would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Klaasdj.

Are any of you x1800xt users missing widget flipping of Quartz Extreme? I have the ripple effect of Core Image tho. I tried this out today and am still missing quartz extreme.

I have QE and CI working. OpenGL apps tend to crash though.

The only files I edited were ATIRadeonX1000.kext and ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin to include my VEN/DEV ids. If I change the IONDRVDevice to IOPCIDevice in ATINDRV.kext, my system will hang while trying to load the login screen.

As of yet I don't have selectable resolutions as my display (Dell 1901FP) isn't detected correctly. Haven't tried the other connector yet. Hope that helps.

Can someone please email me the needed 10.4.5 ati kexts/frame works I need for ati x1800xl at danimator@cogeco.ca, i'm using 10.4.6 and boris's method doesnt work unless i use the 10.4.5 kexts. Thanx

I'd wait for neopheus to release the 2.5 version of his installer. It uses the kexts from 10.4.5 for maximum compatability. It also uses frameworks that are linked into the kexts so it should be good to go for us x1800ers.

Are any of you x1800xt users missing widget flipping of Quartz Extreme? I have the ripple effect of Core Image tho. I tried this out today and am still missing quartz extreme.

What version of osx are you using?

Guys,

I'm happy that X1600, X1800 owners have full QE/CI support. But there are lot of us who have other X1000-series cards. Maybe you know how to help us? No hope for omni with his Callisto :)

I´ve a friend with the same problem.

Why it´s so difficult to find a solution for x1300, x1400 and x1900 users?!

Hi there! I don't know if somebody already told: The patch works with AGP cards, too. They are still recognized as PCI and maybe there are not all functions available, but screenmode and -resolution are selectable. I have a GeCube Radeon X1600 passive and using now 1600x1200 in 85 Hz.

GreetinX from the Other Side!

*** BorisBadenov Method - Now in Genius Bar ***

Hello,

Just for you information:

I just edited the plist of "ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin" from 10.4.6 as follows:

~~

<key>CFPlugInTypes</key>

<dict>

<key>ACCF0000-0000-0000-0000-000a2789904e</key>

<array>

<string>100271c0-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</string>

<string>100271e0-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</string>

</array>

</dict>

~~

I realised that when useing <array> there can be more entries so I entered both ID of my PCIe graphics card.

Now I have both VGA and DVI working at the same time!

As I have only one monitor I cannot test if it is "mirroring" or "extended desktop".

So far I did only edit this plist, so not from any other kext.

Unfortunately no resolution switching (yet).

See the complete listing of .plist from ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin below.

Hopefully someone gets any further :)

Regards,

Klaasdj

------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>ATIRadeonX1000GA</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>ATIRadeonX1000GA 1.4.26.11 (3493)</string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.ATIRadeonX1000GA</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>ATI RadeonX1000 Graphics Driver</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>1.4.26</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>4.2.6</string>

<key>CFPlugInDynamicRegistration</key>

<string>NO</string>

<key>CFPlugInFactories</key>

<dict>

<key>100271c0-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</key>

<string>ATIRadeonX1000GAFactory</string>

</dict>

<key>CFPlugInTypes</key>

<dict>

<key>ACCF0000-0000-0000-0000-000a2789904e</key>

<array>

<string>100271c0-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</string>

<string>100271e0-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</string>

</array>

</dict>

<key>NSExecutable</key>

<string>ATIRadeonX1000GA</string>

<key>Personality</key>

<dict>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IONDRVFramebuffer</string>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

------

Now I have both VGA and DVI working at the same time!

As I have only one monitor I cannot test if it is "mirroring" or "extended desktop".

So far I did only edit this plist, so not from any other kext.

Unfortunately no resolution switching (yet).

And you are 100% that this changed the bahaviour?