borisbadenov ATI X1000-series Solution

RobNyc

1,381 posts in this topic

Hello,

Just for you information:

I just edited the plist of "ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin" from 10.4.6 as follows:

Having made the same change to my Info.plist, there was no change with my Asus EAX1600 XT. The VGA port works with or without the change exactly the same. Doing an ioreg shows no change on display@0,1 (the VGA port). In order to get mirroring or extended desktops working properly, we'd need the ATIRadeonX1000 kext to match on 71e0 which, at least on mine, causes a kernel panic.

Having made the same change to my Info.plist, there was no change with my Asus EAX1600 XT. The VGA port works with or without the change exactly the same. Doing an ioreg shows no change on display@0,1 (the VGA port). In order to get mirroring or extended desktops working properly, we'd need the ATIRadeonX1000 kext to match on 71e0 which, at least on mine, causes a kernel panic.

Tom Schara,

It really worked out different for me. First there was no DVI active at all but, now there is.

Strange thoug that you have DVI working by default and I have VGA working by default as we both have the same ASUS EAX1600XT Silent card.

The only real difference in our setup is in my opinion the motherboard.

Where you have the ASUS P5LD2-VM I have the Intel D945PSN.

Strange thing is I had the ASUS P5LD2-VM- DH (ViiV support) before the Intel one's but it did not work at all!!

Perhaps there is a difference also between these boards as the "DH" Version of the P5LD2-VM has an "newer" PCI bridge.

This week I will try to find out what the differences are between these motherboards and what their effect is on the Graphics card. (ASUS EAX1600XT Silent)

Klaasdj

K guys, need a bit of help here...

I'm runnnig osx 10.4.6 all latest updates, etc. But..

I have an Ati x1800xl which works with bori's method, but res switching doesnt work, and have mouse tearing etc..

And am told that if I use the 10.4.5 ati kexts all will work 100% with my card.

So...I got the 10.4.5 ati kexts, but not sure how to go about replacing the 10.4.6 ones. can some one PLEASE step me through it? I tried just deleting the 10.4.6 ones, and putting in the 10.4.5 ones, repairing permissions, etc, but when i rebooted, it loaded fully to desktop, but desktop looked all rainbow colors and screwy, so not sure what I'm doing wrong.

So if someone can step me through it, would be much appreciated, thanx.

(I have allt eh 10.4.5 ati kexts, do I need teh opengl.framework from 10.4.5 too?) thanx

I keep seeing everyone talk about the x1300 PCI-Express.. but what about the x1300 AGP? I picked one up for $89 because I thought they were supported, but it looks like I was wrong. Should I hold out and hope that something comes up for the x1300, or should I drop the extra $50 and get a PowerColor x1600?

I was thinking:

what if I install on my notebook with X1400 a Callisto release using ATINDRV as framebuffer and I insert into ATINDRV the device ID of my card?

Do you think it would work?

No, Callisto is a framebuffer like ATINDRV. You could always experiment with loading the GA.plugin from 9700 into the X1000 kext or something,,, but I doubt there will be any success.

No, Callisto is a framebuffer like ATINDRV. You could always experiment with loading the GA.plugin from 9700 into the X1000 kext or something,,, but I doubt there will be any success.

Uhm... understood. Well, I think I will try again the method after the update to 10.4.7.

OK folks, insanely great breakthrough time!

I have spent weeks trying to get Asus EAX1600XT Silent to work in my Asus P5GD1-VM with zero success ('til today). I have tried all combinations of 10.4.4-10.4.7 with ATINDRV.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext from many sources. I've tried JaS, I've tried HotISO, everything. I've tried Callisto B006 (which worked without acceleration). I've tried Borisbadenov method and the new installer. I've tried a hybrid Callisto/Badenov. All with the same awful result.

After deleting extensions.mkext and extensions.kextcache (absolutely essential) and rebooting, the screen would come up with a black mouse cursor on a fractured blue background with varing degrees of random refresh-rate style garbage on the screen and crashing with 'beach ball o' death'. Sometimes, there was a sort-of pooched desktop that partially displayed the dock, and somethimes not. Hard reboot was the only out.

Interestingly, the EAX1600XT displayed the computer's CMOS screen messed up because of a palette problem. The roving blue band at the top (from palette rotation) was smeared out into a rainbow. I thought the card was pooched, so it went back to the distributor, who tested it and found all EAX1600XTs do the same thing. They swore the card was fine, so I got it back and tried it with XP and Far Cry. Five hours of heavy gaming on the highest possible settings with overclocking or no, and the card performed like a champ. I could not make it break even slightly.

So, I downloaded the Sapphire x1600xt bios from techpowerup, along with the ATIFlash utility v3.09. Then, I got the Driver Free image for BIOS flashing from bootdisk.com and made me a floppy with these things on it.

I rebooted in DrDos and saved my old ATI flash with the command:

atiflash -s 0 oldbios.bin

(if you have problems, run atiflash -i to make sure atiflash can see the card. If it is not card 0, change the zero in the line above to whatever number the card is.)

Then, I executed atiflash -p -f 0 sapph.bin (where sapph.bin is the name of the Sapphire x1600xt, 256M, PCI-E bios file I downloaded above. THIS DID NOT WORK. I got some kind of an error about 'wrong id' or something.

Much later, I realized the -f parameter has to COME FIRST! Duh. I tried:

atiflash -f -p 0 sapph.bin

This worked fine, and flashed my loveley Asus EAX1600XT Silent with a very non-silent Sapphire X1600XT BIOS.

I rebooted into 10.4.7, and everthything worked absolutely perfectly. QE, CI, rotation enabled, full acceleration, card detected as X1600 (never happened before!!!). Rotated the screen all round and back, LCD detected, no tearing, perfect, perfect, perfect after two weeks of hell. 2D Acceleration is enabled after using PrefSetter.

Full acceleration is working. Tried stuff that didn't work before and it now works like a dream and fast as all heck.

Thank-you Borisbadenov and JaS and whomever wrote that handy install that allowed me to get to the point of total failure ten times faster than otherwise!

I should mention that the EAX1600XT Silent worked with every native install from 10.4.5-10.4.7 without patching, but not accelerated (though it claimed it was), with awful tearing and without proper detection of the card (showed up as VGA) and didn't detect the display properly or do rotation properly.

Thanks also to Sapphire, who make a heck of an Asus EAX1600XT BIOS!

I have no idea if the hardware will melt five minutes from now, so try this at your own risk.

Dual display works, but only with the desktop mirrored. Only one LCD (on the DVI port) shows up when you "Detect Displays".

Back in Windoze XP, the installed Asus EAX1600XT pops up and says 'hardware not found'. No problem. Removed the Asus ATI driver completely (100+ MB of what?), reboot, download and install the Sapphire driver (only 36MB) & works like a dream. Can play Far Cry at highest setting while surfing the net on second monitor. Performance just as good as with Asus driver.

anyone know of good resources for learning about display timings for cards/displays etc?

i haven't been able to get my mobility x1600 working yet and i assume it's because the display isn't being initialized correctly

it can't hurt to try a binary hack of atindrv since nothing else seems to work

Has anyone with a Sapphire 1600XT PCI-E had a problem with the login window not appearing? Even without editing the drivers with boris' method (but also after) The system just hangs at "Login Window Application Started" - this happens in both 10.4.5 and 10.4.6. I've tried using both the VGA and DVI+VGA Adapter with same results... any ideas? Bought this card specifically because people had it working. Thing is I can hear the loading continue after that point, so I almost wonder if the system is continuing to boot but is just not showing me the login window for some reason.

I doubt that this method would work for other cards. I suspect if you flashed something other than an x1600xt card with an x1600xt BIOS, you'd just end up with a dead card (maybe permanently, though if you make a backup of your firmware first, hopefully you'll still be able to access the EEPROM. You might have to boot with an old PCI video card just to see what you are doing). That said, if you have a card that doesn't work, but by all reports should, it may be a BIOS version problem. In that case, flashing with a similar BIOS might work.

Sometimes I'd just get a black mouse cursor/blue screen, sometimes I'd get a quarter or a half a dock, sometimes the whole dock, and sometimes part of the 'blue apple' menu bar. After these appeared (or didn't), sometimes the spinning beach ball o' death, but ALWAYS system lock-up. Successive reboots gave different results with no interim changes! Very hardware-y.

There is no doubt that some kind of interaction between the drivers and the ATI BIOS in firmware was responsible for the system locking up with an odd display, because it resolved instantly (and permanently, so far) on reboot after ATI BIOS re-flash.

I have to wonder how many of the reports of instability attributed to 10.4.6 kexts are actually BIOS problems. After the flash, Borisbadenov's patch worked like a dream in 10.4.6 and the new 10.4.7 without resorting to getting ATINDRV or anything else from 10.4.4 or 10.4.5.

The real solution may lie in finding a good firmware editor for ATI. I've heard rumours that they exist, but I haven't found one.

Are there different versions of Asus X1600XT cards around? The same (?) card was described as being the most suitable for the borisbadenov hack without the need for flashing the bios. Puzzling...

OK folks, insanely great breakthrough time!

I have spent weeks trying to get Asus EAX1600XT Silent to work in my Asus P5GD1-VM with zero success ('til today). I have tried all combinations of 10.4.4-10.4.7 with ATINDRV.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext from many sources. I've tried JaS, I've tried HotISO, everything. I've tried Callisto B006 (which worked without acceleration). I've tried Borisbadenov method and the new installer. I've tried a hybrid Callisto/Badenov. All with the same awful result.

After deleting extensions.mkext and extensions.kextcache (absolutely essential) and rebooting, the screen would come up with a black mouse cursor on a fractured blue background with varing degrees of random refresh-rate style garbage on the screen and crashing with 'beach ball o' death'. Sometimes, there was a sort-of pooched desktop that partially displayed the dock, and somethimes not. Hard reboot was the only out.

Interestingly, the EAX1600XT displayed the computer's CMOS screen messed up because of a palette problem. The roving blue band at the top (from palette rotation) was smeared out into a rainbow. I thought the card was pooched, so it went back to the distributor, who tested it and found all EAX1600XTs do the same thing. They swore the card was fine, so I got it back and tried it with XP and Far Cry. Five hours of heavy gaming on the highest possible settings with overclocking or no, and the card performed like a champ. I could not make it break even slightly.

So, I downloaded the Sapphire x1600xt bios from techpowerup, along with the ATIFlash utility v3.09. Then, I got the Driver Free image for BIOS flashing from bootdisk.com and made me a floppy with these things on it.

I rebooted in DrDos and saved my old ATI flash with the command:

atiflash -s 0 oldbios.bin

(if you have problems, run atiflash -i to make sure atiflash can see the card. If it is not card 0, change the zero in the line above to whatever number the card is.)

Then, I executed atiflash -p -f 0 sapph.bin (where sapph.bin is the name of the Sapphire x1600xt, 256M, PCI-E bios file I downloaded above. THIS DID NOT WORK. I got some kind of an error about 'wrong id' or something.

Much later, I realized the -f parameter has to COME FIRST! Duh. I tried:

atiflash -f -p 0 sapph.bin

This worked fine, and flashed my loveley Asus EAX1600XT Silent with a very non-silent Sapphire X1600XT BIOS.

I rebooted into 10.4.7, and everthything worked absolutely perfectly. QE, CI, rotation enabled, full acceleration, card detected as X1600 (never happened before!!!). Rotated the screen all round and back, LCD detected, no tearing, perfect, perfect, perfect after two weeks of hell. 2D Acceleration is enabled after using PrefSetter.

Full acceleration is working. Tried stuff that didn't work before and it now works like a dream and fast as all heck.

Thank-you Borisbadenov and JaS and whomever wrote that handy install that allowed me to get to the point of total failure ten times faster than otherwise!

I should mention that the EAX1600XT Silent worked with every native install from 10.4.5-10.4.7 without patching, but not accelerated (though it claimed it was), with awful tearing and without proper detection of the card (showed up as VGA) and didn't detect the display properly or do rotation properly.

Thanks also to Sapphire, who make a heck of an Asus EAX1600XT BIOS!

I have no idea if the hardware will melt five minutes from now, so try this at your own risk.

Dual display works, but only with the desktop mirrored. Only one LCD (on the DVI port) shows up when you "Detect Displays".

Back in Windoze XP, the installed Asus EAX1600XT pops up and says 'hardware not found'. No problem. Removed the Asus ATI driver completely (100+ MB of what?), reboot, download and install the Sapphire driver (only 36MB) & works like a dream. Can play Far Cry at highest setting while surfing the net on second monitor. Performance just as good as with Asus driver.

i recently had to edit and reflash the bios of my X1800XL - it was crapping out after 10 mins or so. i eventually had to edit the voltage settings and reduce the voltage to the gpu. i reflashed that bios and it works fine now.

the editor was called RaBIT - hth.

It may be possible to use the x1600 BIOS for others cards with taking care of these voltage settings. I think the basic functions of the cards are exactly the same from a model to another (number & kind of outputs, supported resolutions). The differences are mainly related to advanced GPU capabilities which are not handled by the BIOS at all, and the OS probably wouldn't care treating a 1300 or 1400 as a 1600 since it may only use features wich are common to these boards.

By the way, we still can flash the old bios back with another display adapter (If we didn't burnt our card yet :))

Very interesting, that could also open new doors for other models (maybe x1300 and x1400 ?)

Thank you Jemm

how???

please (If someone knows please tell me what I can do to get QE/CI support)

mac osx 10.4.6 goatsecx

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON X1300PRO PCIE 16X 256MB

DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 ULTRA-D

2x DDR BUFFALO - 256MB 400MHZ PC3200

HD HITACHI 82.3GB SATAII don't recognized

CPU AMD ATHLON 64 - 3500+ CORE VENICE