borisbadenov ATI X1000-series Solution

RobNyc

1,381 posts in this topic

GOD DAMMIT WHY WONT SLEEP WORK?!

I've installed JaS 10.4.6 - boris method just results in a light blue screen on boot, with no pointer. The machine is responding to pings. If I replace ATINDRV with the 10.4.5 version, everything works great.

I have a funny feeling its the 10.4.6 ATINDRV which is allowing Sleep, but it doesnt like my X1800XL.

Who here has working system sleep? Please let me know what versions of the kexts / frameworks etc you're running, and what hardware.

If you have an apple keyboard or one that has the eject key mapped to it. Set it to autologin with the 10.4.6 ATINDRV then alt + command + eject. See if it sleeps then try to wake it and see where you get, ie if it responds to pings and see if you get back to the blue screen.

I don't have much experience with kexts but what in the 10.4.6 ATINDRV stop it from working with the x1800xl and enable system sleep? Couldn't we just compare whats in both and experiment putting bits in here and there?

Munky, how come i didn't get credit in the genious bar for the post i made about deleting AppleHWSensor? it's cool no biggie ....

goddammit! thats the problem with thankyous... you always forget someone important :poster_oops:

sorry bout that - you also found the way to partially enable second display, huh? :D

its fixed now, anyway :)

Yeah nice. Thanks munky and hanschien. Just plugged in the dvi->vga and connected my tft there and sleep started working even with AppleHWSensor deleted.

Still some minor issue in sleep, my lan device dont recover so i have to run a script that kextunload and kextload, but its 2 seconds with Quicksilver.

So to get sleep working just choose S3 for suspended state in Bios (S1 dont work here) and use the DVI-VGA connector and plug ur display into the adapter.

So, two more issues to solve, DVI in all X1X00, and Dual Display. Im pretty sure that omni can solve both pretty easily, its just make a new kext that read from a file what original Mac OS read from EFI driver. Someone try to contact omni, i know he is pissed but he got a X1600 too :D

GuiPer: I'm already using a DVI-VGA adaptor. Ive tried every permutation of things plugged in, onboard NIC disabled, ripped out the wlan card etc etc.

Sleep just doesnt work. :happymac:

Correction: Sleep *does* work. Wake doesnt.

Hum strange. Are u using all kexts from 10.4.6 ? All my kext's are 10.4.6 and it works properly. Now my monitor even sleep properly, before it only freeze instead of sleep.

Do u got S3 only enabled in bios? Tryed the USB legacy ? Now i got my Sata disk turned off, dont know if it matters to the sleep. If u need any kext's to try just pm me. Good luck there.

Ok, so I tried to switch ATINDRV back to the original 10.4.6 kext. And actually it works now with my x1800gto, but sleep behave in same way, and when I do quick scrolls there are minor artifacts (ie lines and such). In ioreg there are just minor differences, but some references to VBI is not there anymore.

ive tried:

myzar 10.4.5 install + quixos 10.4.6 upgrade (doesnt change the kexts)

result - wake doesnt work

JaS 10.4.6 install , result - boris method causes light blue screen on boot, no mouse pointer, machine responds to ping

myzar 10.4.5 + quixos 10.4.6 + 10.4.6 kexts - result - blue screen on boot

JaS 10.4.6 install + 10.4.5 ATINDRV.kext - result = everything working except wake

etc etc etc

it always seems to be the 10.4.6 ATINDRV thats the killer. thought im interested to know that you got it to work superhai (albeit with artefacts)

GuiPer: I'm already using a DVI-VGA adaptor. Ive tried every permutation of things plugged in, onboard NIC disabled, ripped out the wlan card etc etc.

Sleep just doesnt work. :dev:

Correction: Sleep *does* work. Wake doesnt.

Have you tried setting acpi suspend mode to s3 in bios thats the only way i get sleep working proper connected to dvi via the adapter just a thought oh and wake also works proper

After a small talk with some guys at irc, we verified that the most significant difference between Silence Version from Asus and all other cards is the VIVO. Anyone else got a XT card with VIVO there are a few models from other vendors? If yes is DVI working in that case ?

We are trying to find out what's making the DVI to work in some cards and dont in others.

The Sapphire X1600XT has AVIVO, but I'm not up and running so I can't tell you if DVI works. I'm sure others have the Sapphire X1600XT.

I think all the 1600's have Avivo - it is an ATI flagship technology.

From their website:

Get ATI Avivo

Ready to get the full impact of video and display perfection?

You can get ATI Avivo in any of the latest ATI Radeon® X1K products, ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1K products, ATI All-in-Wonder® X1K and new 2006 models, ATI TV Wonder™ Elite, ATI HDTV Wonder™, ATI Theater™ 550 PRO..

Yes sapphire x1600xt has avivo but again i dont have dvi display so i couldnt say but what i can say is that connected to dvi with adapter power options works perfect only if i set acpi suspend mode to s3 in bios

I have a Sapphire X1600 XT as well, and DVI does not work. Connection using the DVI-VGA adapter will work, but normal DVI will not.

Comparing the ioreg output of the Asus X1600 XT with DVI working, and my Sapphire X1600 XT with DVI not working, one big difference jumps out. PCI ID 71C0 on the Asus card seems to be mapped to the DVI port. 71E0 is mapped to the VGA port. 71C0 is the primary PCI ID for the card, and is the one that the X1000 kext matches to when loading.

On the Sapphire card, 71C0 is still the primary PCI ID for the card, but is mapped to the VGA port. 71E0, the secondary ID, is mapped to the DVI port. Because the X1000 kext is not loading for the secondary (DVI in the case of the Sapphire) port, and in fact will cause a kernel panic if you try matching it to 71E0 to get it to load, the connected monitor on the secondary port never gets detected. What gets detected is a CRT connection to the primary port, whether a CRT is actually connected or not. In fact, if I use a VGA connection to connect my LCD to the primary VGA port, it gets correctly identified as a Philips 200P.

In summary, it seems the biggest difference between the Asus and Sapphire cards that is preventing us getting DVI working on the Sapphire cards is that the DVI port is primary on the Asus cards, but secondary on the Sapphire cards. Not sure how to get around this without a BIOS hack.

I would think since this is the card used in the iMAC, MBP line that this is the focus of driver building! (Dual screen, resoultion, etc), I think once the towers come out, we should see more kext files!

I have a Sapphire X1600 XT as well, and DVI does not work. Connection using the DVI-VGA adapter will work, but normal DVI will not.

Comparing the ioreg output of the Asus X1600 XT with DVI working, and my Sapphire X1600 XT with DVI not working, one big difference jumps out. PCI ID 71C0 on the Asus card seems to be mapped to the DVI port. 71E0 is mapped to the VGA port. 71C0 is the primary PCI ID for the card, and is the one that the X1000 kext matches to when loading.

On the Sapphire card, 71C0 is still the primary PCI ID for the card, but is mapped to the VGA port. 71E0, the secondary ID, is mapped to the DVI port. Because the X1000 kext is not loading for the secondary (DVI in the case of the Sapphire) port, and in fact will cause a kernel panic if you try matching it to 71E0 to get it to load, the connected monitor on the secondary port never gets detected. What gets detected is a CRT connection to the primary port, whether a CRT is actually connected or not. In fact, if I use a VGA connection to connect my LCD to the primary VGA port, it gets correctly identified as a Philips 200P.

In summary, it seems the biggest difference between the Asus and Sapphire cards that is preventing us getting DVI working on the Sapphire cards is that the DVI port is primary on the Asus cards, but secondary on the Sapphire cards. Not sure how to get around this without a BIOS hack.

Thats what i was thinking, i have been lucky buying this card...

So, shouldn't a flash with a Bios from the Asus card work ? Im pretty sure it should work at least to fix all the XT's and maybe even some Pro.

Anyone with a Silence Version can post his bios here?

I've just ordered an Asus Silent X1600 XT so I can do some more direct comparison. I'll be able to extract the BIOS from that card once I receive it tomorrow. I don't think a straight BIOS flash from the Asus to the Sapphire would work, primarily because of the lack of a fan on the Asus.

i bought this card : 1600 XT

and it works very well even with my Apple Cinema Display 20 ". it's got two DVI output, but only one works with my LCD (that's just enough for me :D )

I can't show you screenshoots because my HD crashed :hysterical:

maybe soon , I hope

i bought this card : 1600 XT

and it works very well even with my Apple Cinema Display 20 ". it's got two DVI output, but only one works with my LCD (that's just enough for me :D )

I can't show you screenshoots because my HD crashed :D

maybe soon , I hope

that card should work it has TWO dvi outs, so it should work perfectly.

I have a question - it is possible to ennable Quartz Extreme 2d on a x1600xt pci-e bus ?? of course that I have using boris methos ... at this point quartz debug is telling me that quartz extreme 2d is not supported - ani advice ?