Do Mac's get viruses?

Greenfinch

51 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
Not the effect you were going for, but yeah they actually can: http://aquariumworld.20m.com/fishfleas1.htm :D

Spanked

I as well had to take sometime to realize that there aren't many dangers in the Mac world. Couldn't wrap my brain around it after using Windows since 3.11 (15 some years ago).

Hello.

I'm also from the disease ridden world of PC.

Mac seems plenty secure if you're careful. As stated, use your brain.

Here's a neat little utility I like: http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

It's called "Little Snitch". It can give your brain another set of eyes!

All it does is to monitor everything going in and especially OUT on your computer, and stops it until you give your permission.

It's amazing what kind of stuff it intercepts. It lets you know exactly what programs attempt to "phone home" without your knowledge.

It also has a neat little bandwidth meter that gives an approximation of network traffic.

Keri

firewall should be used :(

I agree, firewall should be sufficient. I used to have Symantec Antivirus and my system was working slow, I uninstalled because I really don't need it, we are in a mac not in windows ;)

I think the question is not "if" but "when." Proof of concept viruses and trojans for osx have already been created so it is possible and if the authors of such things really wanted to, there is nothing to stop them from doing so. They have chosen to target their efforts on Vista and Windows XP, likely because the Vista and XP have a more Trojan, Virus. worm friendly code and likely because the target audience is larger, which ensures the greatest impact. Here is something to ponder, if Macs become more popular and authors of malcious code increasingly begin to target mac users, how is Apple going to respond and how quickly are they going to respond to control the damage. Remember, Apple does not have the experience that Microsoft has acquired over time dealing with such threats and quickly patching vulnerabilities. It is going to be interesting to see since this will be virgin territory for Apple and likely will entail a huge learning curve. And with that, I leave you with these two interesting articles.

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2005/03/23.4.shtml

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix...in_60_seco.html

so, we are all nude.

Yay! we are all nude!!

But seriously though, if you are dual booting with windows, be careful :) i recently booted into vista after about a month and spent almost all day cleaning up viruses, which, though not a threat to OSX, managed to f**k up vista :P

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Agreed with the post above, Its not "if" but really a "when". The real question (also posted above) is how quickly will apple deal with the issue once found.

In the meantime though, Enjoy the freedom of not having to worry about anti-virus software. (unless you use Bootcamp or VMware/Paralells ... Then you need some for that side of things. Recommend Kaspersky!)

• Like 1

i think so, why would there be mac versions of antivirus software if there are no viruses.

Hello.

I know nothing about Mac's so here's a simple question:

do Mac computers get viruses / spyware, etc., when on the internet?

I have heard many times that they do not. Please give me the definitive answer.

If they do, what software do you recommend to counter it?

Thanks,

G.

• 1 month later...

Well... Apparently things are changing... :)

Apple says yes to antivirus software

And quoting Apple support:

Apple encourages the widespread use of multiple antivirus utilities so that virus programmers have more than one application to circumvent, thus making the whole virus writing process more difficult

:blink:

EDIT: Apparentely Apple shutdown their article... I guess they best for their costumers... :P

Anyway... Google Cache remembers it : http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:TB9FIG...t=clnk&cd=1

• 1 month later...
PLEASE do not put "Mac's" when you mean the plural rather than the possessive, it annoys a great deal of people out there...

and yes, Macs do get viruses, but on no scale compared to Windows machines

I am not annoyed because I am sure because unlike windows the term Mac refers to both Hardware & software (osx). So it is correct to ask " Does Mac's get viruses?" I am sure he is speaking of the hardware's ownership of the software. Does the Mac Hardware's os get viruses? The answer is YES IT CAN AND WILL MORE AS IT BECOMES RELEVANT IN THE MAIN STREAM. Everyone knows, if they pay attention to the Hacker competitions it took almost 3 times longer to hack in Vista than OS X. I am a forever Microsoft user who has like so many others switched to Mac and love it. But the truth is in the real world why spend all your time trying to find a Mac on the web when you can close your eyes and hit a thousand Vistas. The bottom like is ( even thou I love mine ) the reason Mac does not get as many virus is because knowone cares to make them. They are like a needle in a hay stack. Again I love OS X.

Do Mac's get viruses?

Yes.

But, here's the questions you should be asking.

How many types of viruses?

How much do the viruses spread?

How do they spread?

If Macs were as widely used and applied as Windows computers were, they would be as prone to viruses as much as Windows would. But, since Macs are only built by one company, they aren't as spread out as PCs are.

this discussion on the security of a mac is old

what would really be interesting is finding out some real-life user experience from one that actually got virused, not some demo by a hacker/rumour on a security convention

that must have felt special :P

• 2 weeks later...
PLEASE do not put "Mac's" when you mean the plural rather than the possessive, it annoys a great deal of people out there...

That's pretty hilarious. You correct "Greenfinch" for his incorrect use of an apostrophe and in the process you misuse "... (meant to indicate that specific text is left out but is not necessarily useful for the purposes of the discussion at hand)," use a conjunction to link two clearly separate and distinct subjects and neglect to punctuate properly. Then, you splash a huge, garish banner across the screen.

Are you familiar with the phrase "People who live in glass houses should not throw stones?" Also, I wonder: has it ever occurred to you that some of the things you do may annoy others?

It seems people are simply here to exchange information. Anyway thanks for the humorous aside.

dh

• 3 weeks later...
If Macs were as widely used and applied as Windows computers were, they would be as prone to viruses as much as Windows would. But, since Macs are only built by one company, they aren't as spread out as PCs are.

A virus is supposed to cause maximum disruption to the maximum number of people. So hackers don't bother with OSX.

Hmm, you would think viruses for other UNIX/Linux/BSD based machines would be rampant too then since they run the majority of the Internet servers.

If it was predominately due to marketshare, why did Mac OS 7 - 9 have so many viruses/spyware compared to OS X, when OS X is so much more popular? Obviously OS design plays a big part too.

Frankly it doesn't matter if OS X can get viruses, it can spread them to Windows based machines. Anytime an outbreak hurts the Internet, it affects us all, so with free scanning options it doesn't really hurt to be on guard. :P

This has got to be most lame thing I have ever heard any computer user say. That it came from a Macintosh user is simply astounding but not surprising! YOU are why people think that Mac users are arrogant and condescending. Who the heck cares how they spell Mac, Macs, Mac's or what the heck ever. I am sure it only annoyed you, not the great deal of people you say. I got my first Mac 15 years ago and still own 3, I could care less how they spell it. Leave them alone.

Andy Garza

Do Mac's get viruses?

Yes.

But, here's the questions you should be asking.

How many types of viruses?

How much do the viruses spread?

How do they spread?

Funny story:

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Co...0/msg00309.html

"The 50th time the machine is booted, a poem is displayed."

• 1 year later...