X700 and other PCIE ATI Radeon finally work

koverg

923 posts in this topic

RAAA!

If anyone is looking for a great setup my rig is now complete and working perfectly! No TEARING! NO ARTIFACTS! Tested in OpenGL window apps and DVD Player etc. Fully Stable. I finally got the patch working by just applying it myself using a hex editor. I am using the 10.4.4 version of the ATIRadeon9700.kext file. I have Sapphire Radeon X800 PCIe 256mb. This is non-pro edition. Note I am running the full resolution of my monitor via the com.apple.boot.plist option file. Device ID is 554F Vendor ID is 1002 of course.

Grab a HexEditor from http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17562

If you want to apply the patch yourself open your HEX editor and search for 3D 60 5B 00 00 in the 10.4.4 kext file. This simply means the file at /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext. (Note however it should work on any version of the .kext 10.4.3-5 so don't fret if you don't have the 10.4.4 one!

Be advised that this string occurs in two places. Once you find the two places that this string occurs, replace them with 3D YY XX 00 00 with XX being the first two digits of your Device ID and YY being the second.

So for setup it was as follows: 3D 60 5B 00 00 became 3D 4F 55 00 00.

Now go into the Info.plist file inside your ATIRadeon9700.kext folder and find the 0x5B601002 line and change it with your device ID like this.

For example: 0x5B601002 became 0x554F1002 for my setup. Note that if your card has a different Vendor ID you need to change the 1002 to your Vendor ID as well!

I forgot that you need to now make sure are your permissions are correct! Quickly do a:

chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions

chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions

Now reload your kernel extensions cache

kextcache -k /system/library/extensions

Now try a manual load of your driver before the reboot:

kextload /system/library/extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

Reboot and pray to the gods!

Good luck and everyone keep up the hard work! If anyone wants to know my setup incase you need a 100% working rig. Here goes:

Can you tell wich row i can find 3D 60 5B 00 00?

It will take a year to find it for me.

Thank's in advance!

pion, how did you get your x850 going? i have same card with 5d52 id, i tried with both patches and hex editing but no luck. thx

Jccool

X850XT 256MB PCI-E

1. backup your original ATIRadeon9700.kext.kext and replace with this one.

2. sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

3. kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

4. Repair disk permissions with Disk Utility.

5. reboot

note: theres a problem with this driver. sometime works sometime does not. (im not talking about CI and QE)

if you get stuck screen:

..then reboot(s) untill working. (probably 2-6 stuck screen)

after it loads everything will work.

sorry for bad image, my camera is {censored}.

Another dell 9300 working with the X300

Many thanks for the patch Koverg :afro:

Good bits: QE and CI & OpenGL of course!

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x5460

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

ripple effect in widgets is cool

Bad: 1024 x 768 even with edited bootlist file, (1440x900 native screen)

EDIT: mouse tearing workaround using mousepose, works good

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...357entry68357

First thanks to everybody for providing us with the info to get ATI cards to work . I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 labtop with ATI X300 dedicated card . I followed the instructions and everything is fine . however, at system profiler it says BUS : PCI . on some screenshots from other users it says PCIe . I'm wondering why it's happening? It's the same either using the patch or hex editor . however, it says Quartz Extreme: Supported

Any help would be appreciated . keep up the good work . thanks.

First thanks to everybody for providing us with the info to get ATI cards to work . I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 labtop with ATI X300 dedicated card . I followed the instructions and everything is fine . however, at system profiler it says BUS : PCI . on some screenshots from other users it says PCIe . I'm wondering why it's happening? It's the same either using the patch or hex editor . however, it says Quartz Extreme: Supported

Any help would be appreciated . keep up the good work . thanks.

David, I'm using 10.4.5 and the X300 I got is the 128MB ram one.

Maybe you have different OSX version, or 64mb card?

I don't know enough about the card different configurations, just got mine. Best bet is to scroll through thread and PM someone with an dell 6000 and X300

cheers

ATI Mobility Radeon x700 128Mb on Acer Travelmate 8104wlmi on 10.4.3

[0x5653, 0x1002]

Partial success with patch 0.2 - Core Image & Quartz Extreme Working!!

VLC DVD playing back smoothly even at fullscreen.

BUT lots of window content tearing when scrolling [see attachment]

(no 'mouse' tearing though?).

Slightly improved by simple one-colour desktop background.

Apple DVD player loads, but is unstable and crashes.

Desired 1680x1050 resolution in boot plist ignored, it defaulted back to 1400x1050 as before.

Overall too buggy to keep, so going back to normal kext for now.

Might try it once I'm running a 10.4.5 install.

Seemed to enable CI/QE without the driver fully supporting it, in my case.

Thanks Koverg for demonstrating that text based plist editting is only half the challenge for hardware support, more binary patching also needs to be done too (by people more familiar with that!)

Maybe the same technique might get my Realtek ALC880 Audio (VEN 10EC, DEV 0880) working, as plain kext editting doesn't.

Update on my last post

running great at 1280x800 (1400x1050 was too messed up)

mouse tearing fixed with mousepose workaround.

Again thanks for the fix!

HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS BINARY EDITTING TECHNIQUE FOR OTHER TROUBLESOME KEXTS/DRIVERS?

Specifically to get my Realtek ALC880 Audio (VEN 10EC, DEV 0880) working, as plain kext editting doesn't work, even though the ALC880 should be natively supported by the AppleHDA.kext?

Pion, thank you very much but i put it in but i get a restart your computer screen in lioke 4 languages. i rebooted 6 times, nothing... i dunno anymore could it be becayse i have amd 64 3200+ sse2?

probably because AMD, i never had that "reboot your computer language" even if theres error in the driver.

thank you for your reply Pion, do you think if i sent you my original 10.4.3 kext, you could patch it and it would work? Maybe i should try it on my old intel 3.4 ghz it has the gma 900, its a D915gavl mobo, it might work. Once again thank you very much for your help, your the only person who has ever replied to my post. :censored2:

David, I'm using 10.4.5 and the X300 I got is the 128MB ram one.

Maybe you have different OSX version, or 64mb card?

I don't know enough about the card different configurations, just got mine. Best bet is to scroll through thread and PM someone with an dell 6000 and X300

cheers

Thanks for the reply . I have also 128mg on x300 , and I use OS X 10.4.3 (with maxxuss patch). I'm downloading 10.4.5 ,and it should be completed in 10 hours . I will follow the same procedure and see if it can detect my x300 card as PCIe and will post the results .

Update on my last post

running great at 1280x800 (1400x1050 was too messed up)

mouse tearing fixed with mousepose workaround.

Again thanks for the fix!

HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS BINARY EDITTING TECHNIQUE FOR OTHER TROUBLESOME KEXTS/DRIVERS?

Specifically to get my Realtek ALC880 Audio (VEN 10EC, DEV 0880) working, as plain kext editting doesn't work, even though the ALC880 should be natively supported by the AppleHDA.kext?

I have tried the hexediting for the apple HDA kext and found nothing. I have your same audio card, I only get sound through the speakers of my asus A6Va laptop. We need to fix this, I will try other things.

BTW, 1280x800 is the native resolution in my monitor, but it still defaults to 1024x768 streched resolution. How did you get it working?

HELPP!!!!!!! i tried it over and over again. When i follow the steps and reboot it still doesn't work !! :S i dont get it. I downloaded the v0.2 patch and kopied the files in to my user-dir then applied all and still NO SUCCES WHY WHY !

I have a PCIex X700 128MB Asus card 5e4b! Who can help me, perhaps send me a pre-configured ATIRadeon9700.kext ???

This is my info !!! please please i' m desperate, i know it MUST work but so many attemps and no succes :)

Last login: Sat Mar 4 20:29:04 on console

Welcome to Darwin!

computer-van-justin-schouten:~ justinschouten$ sudo ./patch9700.sh 5e 4b

sudo: can't mkdir /var/run/sudo: No such file or directory

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System

Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.

#2) Think before you type.

#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

Password:

Patching to device id: 0x5e4b

mkdir: /Users/justinschouten/Documents/originals: File exists

Reading from /Users/justinschouten/Documents/originals/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700...

Writing to /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700...

Done: 0 matches.

computer-van-justin-schouten:~ justinschouten$

and my info in systemprofile:

Beeldscherm:

Type: VGA-compatibele controller

Bus: PCI

VRAM (totaal): 256 MB

Fabrikant: ATI (0x1002)

Apparaatcode: 0x5e4d

Revisiecode: 0x0000

Info kernelextensie: Geen Kext geladen

Beeldschermen:

Onbekend beeldscherm:

Resolutie: 1280 x 1024

Diepte: 32-bits kleur

Core Image: Niet ondersteund

Hoofdbeeldscherm: Ja

Synchrone weergave: Uit

On line: Ja

Quartz Extreme: Niet ondersteund

THX in Advance !

HELPP!!!!!!! i tried it over and over again. When i follow the steps and reboot it still doesn't work !! :S i dont get it. I downloaded the v0.2 patch and kopied the files in to my user-dir then applied all and still NO SUCCES WHY WHY !

I have a PCIex X700 128MB Asus card 5e4b! Who can help me, perhaps send me a pre-configured ATIRadeon9700.kext ???

This is my info !!! please please i' m desperate, i know it MUST work but so many attemps and no succes :)

Last login: Sat Mar 4 20:29:04 on console

Welcome to Darwin!

computer-van-justin-schouten:~ justinschouten$ sudo ./patch9700.sh 5e 4b

sudo: can't mkdir /var/run/sudo: No such file or directory

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System

Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.

#2) Think before you type.

#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

Password:

Patching to device id: 0x5e4b

mkdir: /Users/justinschouten/Documents/originals: File exists

Reading from /Users/justinschouten/Documents/originals/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700...

Writing to /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700...

Done: 0 matches.

computer-van-justin-schouten:~ justinschouten$

and my info in systemprofile:

Beeldscherm:

Type: VGA-compatibele controller

Bus: PCI

VRAM (totaal): 256 MB

Fabrikant: ATI (0x1002)

Apparaatcode: 0x5e4d

Revisiecode: 0x0000

Info kernelextensie: Geen Kext geladen

Beeldschermen:

Onbekend beeldscherm:

Resolutie: 1280 x 1024

Diepte: 32-bits kleur

Core Image: Niet ondersteund

Hoofdbeeldscherm: Ja

Synchrone weergave: Uit

On line: Ja

Quartz Extreme: Niet ondersteund

THX in Advance !

I have exactly the same device ID as your's. After applying the patch I was initially unable to get it to boot. After rebooting around four times I finally got it to load into OSX with QE & CI both enabled but the Bus type was still showing as PCI.

Problems started when I tried to change the screen resolution. This caused the system to hang at the initial screen. I remember someone previously saying they got it to boot up after doing a restart from windows XP so i tried this and this did work for me.

After running Xbench, the scores I were getting were worse than with 915G graphics, especially the user interface

Anyway with the X700 it seems to be a bit of a hit and miss affair so I've taken the card out and i'm back with the onboard graphics.

If you already have built in graphics then I'd stay with that.

On a side note your profile says your device Id is 0x5E4D not 0x5E4B as you initially stated.

You might want to re-apply the patch and edit the Plist to reflect this

Can anyone tell me why the kext only goes to 1024x768 for my 1440x900 dell 9300 screen?

I don't get why if I had a higher resolution screen I could get a higher default resolution eg dell 6000 with WSXGA getting higher resolution with the same modified kext and same X300 128mb video card

How does the kext / driver "see" the screen WXGA or WUGA, is there a workaround this, to fool it or is it some sort of "scale factor" to native

I would love to get a higher resolution, any ideas? or does the koverg modded kext get native resolutions with other manufacturer's notebooks?

cheers