X700 and other PCIE ATI Radeon finally work

koverg

923 posts in this topic

Okay, i have an idea. my guess is that the same security is in place for the Radeon8500 and older plain AtiRadeon kexts, if someone could try a similar hack for the older Kexts, i think they would make alot of 7500/8500/9000/9200 users very happy. Can someone please try this?

yes, i have the same idea with you

it seems ati with dx9 should apply ati 9700 kext

ati with dx8 should use ati 8500 kext

ati wiht dx7 should use radean kext

it seems all well can do is to collect all valid ID to developer ,so they can someday provide the testing driver for 7500/8500/9000/9200 users

here is 9200 : 5C61

Dont want to sound like a real dumb dumb here fellas but how the hell do you use this patch ive tried and all i get is it cant find anything.

!!!!!!!!! thanks

info required is for a bud not me as you see from my sig

Hi Getz

You are having the same problem some of us are reporting: not being able to boot after applying the patch. We don't know the reason yet, I'm still trying a handfull of things to figure out.

Yep, cool ! :graduated:

Thanxx for your answer!

See you :star_smile:

Dont want to sound like a real dumb dumb here fellas but how the hell do you use this patch ive tried and all i get is it cant find anything.

!!!!!!!!! thanks

info required is for a bud not me as you see from my sig

Hi, i had the same problem in the beginning..

make sure you have a directory called :

/var/root/Documents/originals/

Before applying the patch..

apply the patch and follow the instructions...

Ps: be sure to have the ATIRadeon9700.kext in /System/Library/Extensions :star_smile:

Okay, i have an idea. my guess is that the same security is in place for the Radeon8500 and older plain AtiRadeon kexts, if someone could try a similar hack for the older Kexts, i think they would make alot of 7500/8500/9000/9200 users very happy. Can someone please try this?

I've been looking into this as well. I spent like hlaf an hour searching through the hex of the 8500 binary, and it seems that there is a pattern of 3D LO HI (where LO and HI are the low and high bits of the device ID). I'd be willing to try and modify koverg's script to essentially do the same thing to his binary, but I don't have a card that would use this driver. If there's people out there who would be willing to try this (it is VERY experimental and I don't know for sure what the results will be) who has enough knowledge to restore his computer to its previous state should it fail, I'd be willing to give it a shot. Thanks to koverg for this patch too, my X300 is running great!

EDIT: Also, if you are interested, could you include your device ID and any other pertinent info about your graphics card? Thanks.

Path applied successfully on a Dell Latitude D810 (X600 Mobility) under 10.4.4.

Open GL, QE and CI OK, but i'm stuck in 1280x1024 (the lcd native mode is 1680x1050).

Keep up the good work !

@ Stu k:

I have the 9100 (device 5834) and I think that the applied 8500kext might work for me... I would be willing to try it out. I applied the patch to the 9700kext and I got a very blurred screen upon the booting of the GUI, so I am confident that its possible, had to boot -x to remove when I couldn't see where I was pointing...

Sorry by beeing a dumb dutch dumbass. But i dont get it, i have a X700 so the patch should do the trick for me. Is there a notisable speed increase ? and HOW to apply the patch, something it says about got to have directory var/... but im just a noob. I like osx86 a lot but it's kinda slow, perhaps that is because of the {censored} vid-drivers.can someone help me out with this one please !?!?!?!?!? :S

yes, i have the same idea with you

it seems ati with dx9 should apply ati 9700 kext

ati with dx8 should use ati 8500 kext

ati wiht dx7 should use radean kext

it seems all well can do is to collect all valid ID to developer ,so they can someday provide the testing driver for 7500/8500/9000/9200 users

here is 9200 : 5C61

9250 - 5960

RAAA!

If anyone is looking for a great setup my rig is now complete and working perfectly! No TEARING! NO ARTIFACTS! Tested in OpenGL window apps and DVD Player etc. Fully Stable. I finally got the patch working by just applying it myself using a hex editor. I am using the 10.4.4 version of the ATIRadeon9700.kext file. I have Sapphire Radeon X800 PCIe 256mb. This is non-pro edition. Note I am running the full resolution of my monitor via the com.apple.boot.plist option file. Device ID is 554F Vendor ID is 1002 of course.

Grab a HexEditor from http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17562

If you want to apply the patch yourself open your HEX editor and search for 3D 60 5B 00 00 in the 10.4.4 kext file. This simply means the file at /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext. (Note however it should work on any version of the .kext 10.4.3-5 so don't fret if you don't have the 10.4.4 one!

Be advised that this string occurs in two places. Once you find the two places that this string occurs, replace them with 3D YY XX 00 00 with XX being the first two digits of your Device ID and YY being the second.

So for setup it was as follows: 3D 60 5B 00 00 became 3D 4F 55 00 00.

Now go into the Info.plist file inside your ATIRadeon9700.kext folder and find the 0x5B601002 line and change it with your device ID like this.

For example: 0x5B601002 became 0x554F1002 for my setup. Note that if your card has a different Vendor ID you need to change the 1002 to your Vendor ID as well!

I forgot that you need to now make sure are your permissions are correct! Quickly do a:

chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions

chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions

Now reload your kernel extensions cache

kextcache -k /system/library/extensions

Now try a manual load of your driver before the reboot:

kextload /system/library/extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

Reboot and pray to the gods!

Good luck and everyone keep up the hard work! If anyone wants to know my setup incase you need a 100% working rig. Here goes:

Pentium D 820 2.8Ghz

Gigabyte I945P-Pro Motherboard

Sapphire Radeon X800 PCIe 256mb

3Com 3C905B-TX NIC

NEC ND-3540A DVD Burner

And of course the onboard ICH7 Intel SATA

Now if you were able to reboot and wish to change your resolution do the following!

Goto /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist

right before the closing line, add the following two lines to look similar to the other lines in the file

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>WidthxHeightxColourDepth</string>

So if my setup was 1280x1024 at 32bit colour, I would add:

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

Hope this helps everyone; If anyone sees anything else that is incomplete let me know.

Thanks!

I've been looking into this as well. I spent like hlaf an hour searching through the hex of the 8500 binary, and it seems that there is a pattern of 3D LO HI (where LO and HI are the low and high bits of the device ID). I'd be willing to try and modify koverg's script to essentially do the same thing to his binary, but I don't have a card that would use this driver. If there's people out there who would be willing to try this (it is VERY experimental and I don't know for sure what the results will be) who has enough knowledge to restore his computer to its previous state should it fail, I'd be willing to give it a shot. Thanks to koverg for this patch too, my X300 is running great!

EDIT: Also, if you are interested, could you include your device ID and any other pertinent info about your graphics card? Thanks.

Hi Stu'K i tried too, but i don't know which values; this is my id 0x4c66 I have ATI Radeon Mobility 9200

Thx!

If anyone is looking for a great setup my rig is now complete and working perfectly! No TEARING! NO ARTIFACTS! Tested in OpenGL window apps and DVD Player etc. Fully Stable.

Griffsta,

Does the mouse disappear (turn into horizontal lines) when you exit a full screen OpenGL game (Quake3, UT2Kx)?

Thanks,

G

Has anyone going blankscreen fixed this issue yet? I'm having no luck, but this could be related to other kexts.

I was getting the blankscreen after applying the patch on 10.4.4. For some unknown reason, the patch did not work properly and so I ended up having to edit the file manually myself using a Hex editor. Try to use the steps in my above post to do it yourself and then you can be certain if the problem is still unresolved.

wow, go you! I actually have one of those cards sitting around, but no desktop intelmac. haha. But if anyone does get around to the older atiRadeon kext, one of my 3 intelmac laptops does have a 7500 inside. IF not, much luck just the same.

Koverg, maybe you can help on this one. I was looking through the 8500 binary hex, seeing if I could mimic what you did on the 9700. I found a section of the code where the various device IDs listed in the Info.plist of the kext are. Although it looks like maybe 1 or 2 are missing, almost all of them are there (the missing ones may be related to ones that are there-i.e. dev. id 5960 being there but 5961 and 5962 not). This lead me to the conclusion that these hex codes were genuinely related to the device IDs. So two questions:

Is this roughly the method you went through when developing the 9700 patch?

How did you decide which device ID to switch with the user's device ID with (i.e. how did you decide to switch 3d 60 5b 00 00 as opposed to 3d 62 5b 00 when you changed to version 2 of your patch?).

Another thing of note, all the device IDs I've found in the 8500 kext are preceded by 3d (although they are not followed by 00 00 or what appears to be any other repetition). However, searching "3d LO HI" in the hex yields unique results (e.g. the only place that that pattern is found in the hex).

OMFG! this finally got it working!

Listen people who are getting the blank screen or any startup problems... YOU HAVE TO HEXEDIT THE KEXT MANUALLY following Griffsta's post. There must be something wrong with the patcher, now this is working fine and getting the mouse tearing bug in all it's glory!

BTW I have also hexedited 3D 60 5B 00 00 as he suggested using Hexedit.app

Thanks a lot, hope this helps others too!

ALSO: I am getting PCIexpress recognized correctly under 10.4.5 weeeeeeee :dev:

OMFG! this finally got it working!

Listen people who are getting the blank screen or any startup problems... YOU HAVE TO HEXEDIT THE KEXT MANUALLY following Griffsta's post. There must be something wrong with the patcher, now this is working fine and getting the mouse tearing bug in all it's glory!

BTW I have also hexedited 3D 60 5B 00 00 as he suggested using Hexedit.app

Thanks a lot, hope this helps others too!

ALSO: I am getting PCIexpress recognized correctly under 10.4.5 weeeeeeee :dev:

Has anyone tried this with the X850 PCIe?

Just to verify that there's nothing wrong with the patcher, I used HexEdit to compare a version of the binary patched using koverg's patch (v2) with a version I hexedited manually. They were completely identical, so there must have been something weird going on there. What version of the patcher were you guys using?

The second of course. I have tried the patch several (too many I would say) times under 4.3 and 4.5 and never worked. It found two replacements but in didn't boot after the plist editing. The only way I have found it to be working is replacing some other ID manually, the one I stated before. Maybe you just can not replace any ID depending on your system. After all, there are people here with exactly the same ID as mine and the patch worked for them. But do they get proper PCIe bus? I did this way.