X700 and other PCIE ATI Radeon finally work

koverg

923 posts in this topic

Okay. This Does actually work on AGP, if possibly on a very limited set of cards. I had to do this patch for my X800XT PE AGP to work in 10.4.5. I searched the binary for a 4 series identifier and found one, 4a4e or 3D4E4A0000, which I patched with 4a50 or 3D504A0000. Also, there was only one occurence of this ID and not two, but works all the same. So add 4A50 to working, under AGP. :)

On the downside, tearing is much worse than it was back in 10.4.3, but at least it works mostly fine.

No success here. I have the same device ID as syldaril, tho, which is 0x5460 (ATI x300 mobility).

I think I may have screwed up the patching process and destroyed my backup kext, so I can't check it out with a fresh file.

syldaril, I sent you a PM.

thomas-computer:~ thomas$ sudo kextload /system/library/extensions/atiradeon9700.kext
Password:
/system/library/extensions/atiradeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700's pentium4 arch is incomplete
kextload: error mapping module file /system/library/extensions/atiradeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700
kextload: can't map module files
kextload: can't check load addresses of modules
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /system/library/extensions/atiradeon9700.kext
load failed for extension /system/library/extensions/atiradeon9700.kext
(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

Very nice job =). My ATI Radeon Mobility X700 64mb vram (PCIexpress) (0x5653) work great with your patch, QE and CI work very well, i can see my divx in full screen very fast thanks to you.

Now the only things to correct it's the little sometime artefacts bug with the mouse.

I'm very happy, you're a nice guy. Thanks a lot

Thanks Koverg! Just as I was about to trade my beloved X800 XL AGP (HIS IceQ II Vivo) for a noisy Sapphire X1600 Pro your patch finally brought me both CI and fully supported QE (including the ripple effect in Dashboard etc). I'm currently using Mac OS X 10.4.3, my card's device id is 0x554d (the same as in Fuzzlet's case).

System Profiler still specifies my card as a 'VGA compatible controller' but correctly detects 256 MB VRAM. I can now watch movies using the OS X DVD Player without any stuttering or dropped frames, not even when using Exposé during playback. I also installed Gish (you have to love that game) and it ran flawlessly both in full screen and windowed modes. I have yet to try Keynotes (or other OpenGL-heavy applications), hope it will work just as well.

Yes, there are mouse artifacts every now and then, e.g. when opening the Dashboard selector but never with Safari or other standard applications so that's not really an issue. I tried Mouseposé according to this thread but did not notice any improvements worth mentioning.

another non working to add to your list

x200 device id 5955

I can confirm this too, OS X gui does not even load, if in -v mode it stays on the messages screen but nothing can be typed, if on the Apple logo the spinning icon will stop and the gui will also not load. :poster_oops:

ATI Radeon x800XL (devID 554D) 256MB PCI-E working but with the following problems:

- set boot.plist to 1680x1040 but boots up to 1400x1050

- mouse artfacts

- window tearing

- no full screen itunes visualizer.

Have yet to try disabling beam sync and enabling quartz 2d.

here's my hardware:

ASUS P5LD2-VM Motherboard

Intel Pentium D 920

Mushkin 1GB RAM (2 x 512MB)

250GB HD Maxtor SATA (OSX86 10.4.4 on a 100GB Partition)

160GB HD Maxtor ATA133

Pioneer DVD-/+RW DVR-109BK

ATI Radeon x800XL 256MB PCI-E

Linksys WMP54GS V1.1 (802.11b/g w/ speedbooster) PCI

First of all, I just want to say that this is absolutely AWESOME work - you would not believe how long I've wanted to use my X800XL AGP.

Anways, I've been running the patch on 10.4.3 and there are a couple of things I have noticed aside from mouse tearing and the common issues:

1) PowerPC games don't seem to render correctly. Intel/Universal Binary ones do, however (i.e. Gangland and THPS4 do not render correctly, but Enigmo and NoLimits Rollercoaster do).

2) After exiting any game the completely scribbled mouse seems to appear (except for chess). It seems to have something to do with games changing the cursor.

I have tried disabling Beam Sync and enabling 2D extreme, but I'm pretty confident that it doesn't make a difference.

Just a couple of quick thoughts that may or may not lead to anything, but I'm quite impressed with your work - keep it up! :D:)

I can't figure it out... I applied this patch as root then followed step-by-step all this guide but my x600 mobility doesn't work at all. I can't get the QE support, card is reported as VESA 2.0 compliant but my goal is to push up the display resolution to 1280x800.

syldaril has gotten his x300 mobility to work with it, yet I also have the same card (0x5460) but it didn't work here - I posted the result of kextload earlier. Now I'm trying to obtain an unpatched kext since I screwed both my original and the backup file (don't ask how).

Btw, kextload reported this:

[…]ATIRadeon9700's pentium4 arch is incomplete
[…]

Could it be that the patch may not work on a P4 (not Mobile)?

syldaril has gotten his x300 mobility to work with it, yet I also have the same card (0x5460) but it didn't work here - I posted the result of kextload earlier. Now I'm trying to obtain an unpatched kext since I screwed both my original and the backup file (don't ask how).

Btw, kextload reported this:

[…]ATIRadeon9700's pentium4 arch is incomplete
[…]

Could it be that the patch may not work on a P4 (not Mobile)?

I'm running the patch on a 3.0 GHz desktop P4 and it works for me.

Ok, blame it on my mis-patched kext :-)

Syldaril was so kind as to send me his properly-patched file.

I tried it and it works! QI/QE is enabled now.

I can't change my resolution via "Graphics Mode"="1440x900x32" tho. I tried 1152x864 as well, but it always drops back to 1024x768.

I have a HP Pavilion zd8115ea btw.

also got a x700 pci-e 0x5e4b

its a saphire x700 pro with analog, dvi and tvout

patching the kext worked fine, but my problem is that im using an analog monitor without ecid information

if i append eg @85 to the display mode in boot.plist the driver fails loading at all, boot messages are displayed in pure textmode and the osx screen doesnt show. if i press some keys i can hear error messages, so its there - i just cant see it :D

is there a way to force overwriting the refresh rate?

How about AGP cards? Does the trick also work for these or do I have to give up my old AGP system to get QE/CI to work?

Actually, I am thinking about upgrading to a i945G board with either a Yonah or a D930 CPU, but only if I can sell my machine for a good price. Then I would get rid of the low res. graphics which are pretty sucky. Later, I could get an extra ATi X1x00 video card - the X1800XT sell for 350€ already (I'm starting to get pissed to see the AGP card prices rise and waiting for new AGP cards to be released - which, I guess, won't happen)!

Hi all !

I have a Mobility X600 with 0x3150 device ID (runs very well on linux).

I'm trying to install the patch on 10.4.3 but I can't.

I put the files at the root and I tried to install it but when I was doing it, I had a message error. I have done manually the dir and the patch runs well.

I've modified the file into ATIRadeon9700.kext with my chipID and all the manipulations to do in the README but system don't load the kext.

Please explain me how to do !

1) PowerPC games don't seem to render correctly. Intel/Universal Binary ones do, however (i.e. Gangland and THPS4 do not render correctly, but Enigmo and NoLimits Rollercoaster do).

I can confirm that Warcraft III (PowerPC) works flawlessly (well, haven't tried multiplayer yet).

2) After exiting any game the completely scribbled mouse seems to appear (except for chess). It seems to have something to do with games changing the cursor.

Yeah, I also have the same problem (BTW I also have an X800XL, but PCI-e).

I have tried disabling Beam Sync and enabling 2D extreme, but I'm pretty confident that it doesn't make a difference.

What's Beam Sync and how do you disable it?

Edit: N/M I found it on another post.

I can confirm that Warcraft III (PowerPC) works flawlessly (well, haven't tried multiplayer yet).

Yeah, I also have the same problem (BTW I also have an X800XL, but PCI-e).

What's Beam Sync and how do you disable it?

Edit: N/M I found it on another post.

wake me up when

1. you can get higher resolutions on an X300 or,

2. nvidia drivers materialise (c'mon diegomax share the work load with the community, its not as if your going to get any cash for your troubles anyway)

meanwhile, back to windoze........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz