The Ultimate Web Browser

• Please log in to reply
457 replies to this topic

Guest: Brainscan_*

Guest: Brainscan_*
  • Guests
OmniWeb hasn't been mentioned.... It has my favorite implementation of tabbed browsing, and a unique widget that lets you edit the content of a textarea field in its own window. Essential for how I maintain web sites.

For most of my surfing, though, I use Safari.

Guest: Guest_*

• Guests
OS X: Camino

Windows: Firefox

Both of those choices were no-brainers. Mozilla rocks!

Guest: fnl_*

Guest: fnl_*
  • Guests
Simple for me: Firefox, which I personally consider the best application of all times (maybe rivalling GNU Emacs and LaTeX, ok, but...). All three of these app's always worked just perfectly for me on both platforms I use (*nix and [although only when forced :graduated:] windoze) - I do not quite understand people complaining that this or that does not work: a friend of mine insisted on using the old Mozilla suite 'till about a half a year ago (yet, now he's hooked on FX, too)...

Why FX? Main reason: Plugins, which you do either not get for Opera and Camino or, as for Safari, they even ask money for those plugs... I use quite a list of them, too - of which the essential ones are:
  • Fasterfox (ok, could do without, but its sooo nice...)
  • Adblock & Filterset (you get something similar for Camino afaik)
  • Tab Mix Plus (omg, how can you call it "tabbed browsing" w/o that one???)
  • Biobar & bioFOX (yeah, I'm a Bioinformatician, therefore...)
  • Web Developer (another "couldn't live without it")
  • GooglePreview (ok, thats pure Geeky-ness)
  • Bookmarks Synchronizer (yet another must with 4 machines in different places... and no, I am not willing to pay for .Mac if Linux offers such functionality for free!!!)
  • Sage (love it, all my RSS feeds, BlogSphere stuff etc. neatly packed...)
  • VideoDownloader (Google)
As long as this list is not nearly met by any other browser (even Safari's pair-for-use plugs don't support this list), there is no question about browser preference, but hey, then - taste is something you don't argue about :D. Ah, and before I forget, the main reason: FX is Open Source and Free Software, the best thing being you can progg your own apps into Gecko using FX/XUL as "frontend"!!!

cheers,fnl

teeching

teeching

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
after reading many of these ..i forund another two topics on macrumors ...

Camino = Firefox w/ Mac Interface?

why is camino so much faster than safari

REVENGE

REVENGE

Made of Win

• Retired Developers
  • 684 posts
In Vista Beta 2, my preferred browser is absolutely IE 7+

In XP, it is withoutadoubt Firefox

If I am ever to get a computer preloaded with Vista or upgrade my current rig to Vista, I will probably permanently switch to IE 7+.

helios

helios

got OS X?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Windows = Opera 9
Mac OSX = Opera 9

I have been a fan since the late nineteens and have tried all the other browsers daily but nothing works as great as Opera. And to not worry about extensions is great!!

Electric

Electric

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Giraffes, Web Development
I'd personally have to say my choice is Firefox. Why?

As a web developer its important to have a browser than can help debug sticky situations. I write a lot of Javascript, and deal with CSS daily so its important that if an error presents itself, the browser can do most of the work for me without me going insane. Safari is instantly out of the running because its Javascript implementation simply isn't up to scratch (it even tells you so!), and Camino (although very lovely, personally my second in line) doesn't have the necessary addons (that I'm aware of) to make it a powerful developer tool aswell. Firefox simply stands out with addons like Firebug, CSSViewer, and most of all the Web Developers Toolbar. I would like to make the switch to Camino - but from what I believe the tools just aren't there. I would love for someone to correct me though.

In summary...

Firefox, Camino, Opera, Safari, lynx :)

sHARD>>

sHARD>>

All we are is dust in the wind...

• Retired
  • 976 posts
Mac: Opera w/ Safari. Sometimes Opera for Mac is annoying. 9 rocks though.
Windows: Opera. There's no other choice. Seriously.
Linux: Opera on a fast machine (QT bogs on slower ones), Firefox on a slow one.

non sequitur

non sequitur

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
both camino and flock are reat. i personally like the look of flock better, but they both are built on mozilla technology. in windows i wouldnt be caught dead using IE. firefox is what i use in XP.

• Guests
You know, a program sometimes just has to feel good. Do stuff you expect it to do. Have buttons where you expect it to have. Show you feedback when it's doing something, and on what it's doing. 99% of users don't care about fancy plugins, extensions or the like. They just need to search stuff in Google, to check their webmail, open some basic pages.

On Windows, IE7 is starting to look good. You get all the ActiveX niceties/nightmares AND tabbed browsing. The first beta(s) (I just tried the first and the latest) had a lot of problems with rendering, the last one(s) don't/doesn't. The interface is over-simplified but not as bad as Firefox's. I still find the necessity to reload a page whenever you decide to download content or activate whatever was considered insecure, unnecessary, but apart from that it's real-websites-out-there-compliant, fast, easy and goodlooking, and of course very well-integrated into Windows.

On OSX, Safari is definitely the worst "mainstream" browser out there. Full of rendering bugs, terrible debugging, javascript anomalies... it's a nightmare to develop advanced web-based applications for it. Then again, it seems to run Flash content (which more or less guarantees compatibility) faster than the other options available on this platform.

I've got a serious personal problem with everything Mozilla-related ever since I took a look at its source code , and I don't like the security problems I read about. Moreover I especially hate its Spartan interface which more than anything else exhibits an inability to simply organize a GUI that demands to be more complex, so Firefox is not my choice. I also seem to have a complete disinterest in each and every fancy extension they develop for it... I just need a browser that works, that works quickly, and that renders the damn stuff the way it was supposed to. BUT that treats me as a user that knows what he is doing, out-of-the-box. Which, I know, places me outside of its target group. Anyway, Safari being that bad, it might be considered an option on OSX.

... which makes Opera the best choice on OSX. Personally, I find the default GUI style it shows on OSX quite disgusting, but that's easily fixed by installing another skin. It...just...works. And it's fast. And on Windows, tests say it's the most secure browser. One of the few things I don't like about it is the lack of feedback you get while loading a page; the only 'advantage' Safari has for me on OSX, and only important for those on a slow connection (I'm living in small village in Spain...).

Thank God the banners have gone, and I hope Opera has got a long future ahead of them, as they seem to make very solid products within a solid philosophy. The kind of program you'd wish existed as open-source...

Mr. Bond

Mr. Bond

The man with the golden gun.

• Retired
  • 881 posts
In Windows, Firefox hands-down. It's defiently speedier than IE, and I've found it alot stabler than my experiences with IE. Only downside is the alt-text annoyance, and ActiveX scripts sometimes not working properly.

Ditto for OS X...although I do find myself using Safari sometimes as well.

Descalzo

Descalzo

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Linux, XP, Vista, and OSX: Firefox. Here's why: I am used to it, and it doesn't suck like IE.

Those that say IE7 doesn't suck are telling the truth: it is a good browser. But I stopped using it right away because I am used to Firefox. The only drawback I experience with Firefox is that it seems to eat my RAMs for lunch on OSX. It's terrible, and it sounds like it's not just me. But, like I say, I'm used to it.

I used to use Safari on OSX because it is light and easy and it's default, but I switched to FF because of tabbed browsing (someone here said you can do tabs in Safari. If that's true, please let me know how to do it). If I were going only for looks, it would have to be Safari.

My cousin almost got me switched to Opera when he showed me the Safrad skin for Opera. Makes it look just like Safari. Check it out.

To summarize, I am used to Firefox, and it does everything I need on every platform, so that's what I use.

INFNITE

INFNITE

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
to enable tabs in safari, go to preferences and there's a tabs option. select that and enable tabs. To add a new tab, use the keyboard combo cmd-t

Sabr

Sabr

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

• Retired
  • 3,883 posts
I like to use a whole variety. Alot of browsers display pages differently, some don't load certain pages, while others do.

On XP, I like to use FireFox, Opera and IE.

On OSx86, I like to use Safari, FireFox and Camino.

Also, it's good to have a range of browsers so you can see whether websites load all the same, or differently (mostly important for people who run their own website).

• Guests
Hey guys,

(#1) OSX = Safari
Comments:
Safari rocks - I'd say it is the best for OSX. A very, very, very close second would be Opera, I'll explain why its second below. Safari is stable; slick; and supports everything the average user needs to surf the internet quickly. I've experienced *minimal* problems at best using Safari in browsing web pages.

Problems/Wanted Additions: (With Safari)
- Should view PDF's natively with Preview integration. Adobe Acrobat is slow and prone to crashing Safari.
- Should remember open tabs and be able to completely recover from freeze. (Natively without a plugin)
- Should give more options than just Google in the search box. Like Dictionary etc... (Natively without a plugin)
- Should allow the user to to have the cookies deleted everytime Safari quits. (Natively without a plugin)
- Should allow movement of the tabs, effect should be modeled after Adium's chatbox. (Natively without a plugin)

(#2) OSX = Opera 9
Comments:
Opera is a really nice web browser. There is just one thing that makes it #2 and why I don't use it. The Tab bar is above the address bar - when it should be below the address bar like it is in every other browser out there. If there was a plugin that would allow that - then I'd be all over Opera.

------------------------

Which browser is overall the best? Well for OSX, that could very well technically be Opera. Second would be Safari. I don't know why everyone is claiming Camino and all the others are "faster" and "better" than Safari. I have *actual* data to backup this conclusion that Opera would probable be #1 and Safari #2. Do a good search with the terms: "OS X Browser Comparison" - select the second webpage found. Graphical view will clearly show that the Mozilla browsers (all of them), are beaten by Safari in almost every field.

johnniecarcinogen

johnniecarcinogen

Yellow Box

• Gurus
  • 746 posts
Shiira seems to be neglected.
Posted Image

• Guests
OS X = Shiira
Windows = Opera 9

Glassman

Glassman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

One of the few things I don't like about it is the lack of feedback you get while loading a page;

don't know what exactly you mean by that but:
you can select a pop-up progressbar at the bottom of page with detailed info while loading the site or
simple progress indicator within the adressbar while the page loads

you can as well choose to have a delay between first reception of data and start of actual rendering, which is defaulting at 1s if I'm not mistaken, or you can turn it off so the page renders instantly as the data come in.. this provides you the 'feedback'?

in any case - if it's sensible, there sure is way how to do it in Opera, w/o any plugins.. (really the only thing you need to do apart from personalising settings is find the right skin for the OS you're running in)

BRP

BRP

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Konqueror, Opera, Safari, w3m, IE in that order.

Obviously, it's kind of skewed depending on what OS I'm using, but I don't use Firefox. I just don't like it =\

Fatal

Fatal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Camino is really nice, I use it for almost everything. The only time I don't is when I use FF to use the WebDev Toolbar which is uberhelpfull.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy