Psystar Offers Non-Apple PC, with Leopard pre-installed.

458 posts in this topic

my position about it

http://netkas.org/?p=62

looks like they heard you.. http://www.psystar.com/open_source.html

not sure when was this posted on their site:

Open Source Psystar embraces the Open Source community. We're all about open computing and the idea that software should be customizable, portable, and available. We use Open Source software in the Open Computers like PC EFI by Netkas, the GRUB bootloader, Ubuntu Linux, and many other Open Source efforts out there. We use Open software in our PsyStor SAN by Sun and IBM. We use the Linux kernel in the Psystar Gateway Router. Psystar will promote Open Source projects in every way possible. To the Open Source community: thank you.

post-215984-1208363838_thumb.jpg

Apple will come down on him like a ton of bricks, and will likely as a result take action against the osx86 project as a whole, and more than likely implement much tougher measures as they identify a commercial threat.

I agree. The osx86 project is more or less a hobbyists thing - a small group of people who are doing it because they like computers and want to show it CAN be done. It's nice to get an almost fully functional Mac out of it too, but I am guessing most of us own "real" Macs too, and some of us bought them BECAUSE we learned(or in my case re-learned) to love the Mac interface on our Hacks(I've got 2 - an Air & a MacBook). We're to small, and too niche for Apple to worry about - on top of not really affecting there sales, how many people would know what "patched kexts" means, much less would be willing to use them? At worst it is no threat, at best it is a tiny amount of publicity.

But here we have someone trying to make MONEY off of it, and attempting to compete against Apple. And all of us KNOW that Hackintoshes aren't low maintenance. It's not like they're always breaking, but every once in a while an update comes along and breaks everything. We can figure out how to fix it(and it's actually FUN for us to do this), but imagine the average consumer's experience. And who do you think they'll BLAME when their computer stops working? "That Mac I bought is a piece of ****! Just stopped working! Apple ripped me off!". Just being ABLE to get a Hackintosh running is sort of a test that you should need to pass in order to have one. You don't have to be a genius to do it, but you DO know where it comes from, have the skills to keep it running, and understand that Apple has nothing to do with it.

i have another link with the exact same info.

http://gizmodo.com/380488/psystar-exposed-looks-like-a-hoax

notpsystarloc.jpg

^more pics and info on appleinsider and gizmodo.

i have nothin' against small business but they really don't know the basics of runnin' a business (i was a small business and entrepreneurship major in college). first, they should have rented a p.o. box from the u.s. postal service. or, they could have gone to ups and rented a p.o. box from them. alot of business will list the "ups street address" and then add "suite number..." after that as their business address. the "suite number" will be their p.o. box number. there are alot of home and small businesses that do this so that "crazy" people won't show up at the door of their home.

edit:

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do...;taxonomyId=146

OSx86 is mentioned in engadget...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/16/osx86-p...psystar-either/

OSx86 Project not too happy with Psystar either

by Nilay Patel, posted Apr 16th 2008 at 1:12PM

Uh-oh, it looks like wannabe Mac clone maker Psystar has more than one licensing issue with the Open Computer: the company didn't get permission from developers working on the OSx86 Project to sell their work. Netkas, who developed the EFI emulator Psystar is using, posted up a blog entry yesterday calling Psystar "liars" and has re-released his code under a license that specifically forbids commercial usage. We chatted briefly with Netkas and he told us that not only did Psystar take his code without permission, it's using other code from the project like the NVInject graphics patch developed by Gotoh, and that he contacted Psystar when he learned about the Open Computer with no results. We also talked to several other members of the OSx86 scene who believe that Apple is tolerant of (and even subtly assisting) their efforts, and are worried that the Psystar flap might end that relationship and bring the hammer down -- after all, there's no Psystar without OSx86.

Interestingly, when we called Psystar to get comments on all of this, Rudy Pedraza, the president, first wanted to know if we could make Netkas call him, then denied using the EFI emulator, then repeatedly asked us for Netkas's phone number (in Russia!) so he could talk to him directly, and then finally promised to call us back. Yeah, he never called back. That's a lot of uncertainty around a pair of machines that haven't shipped from a company with two different addresses that's been in business for less than a year -- and Apple hasn't even gotten involved yet. At this point we're going to say that if you really want a hackintosh, you're likely better off rolling up your sleeves and building one yourself -- you'll probably have it done well before this whole mess gets sorted out.

Read - Netkas blog posting

Read - The Guardian "So exactly who or what is Psystar?"

Read - Psystar listing at the Florida State Department website

it's a compettion...I called them...yes psystar

talked to awoman...said press release come out tonight...they are only using a part of the wharehouse as they just relized they needed more space due to the amount of calls coming in...kinda sounded like a call center...phones ringing...people talking...etc...

anyway...I found this

http://www.dailytech.com/Psystar+Really+Ps...ticle11517c.htm

it's a compettion...I called them...yes psystar

talked to awoman...said press release come out tonight...they are only using a part of the wharehouse as they just relized they needed more space due to the amount of calls coming in...kinda sounded like a call center...phones ringing...people talking...etc...

anyway...I found this

http://www.dailytech.com/Psystar+Really+Ps...ticle11517c.htm

This smells oddly like something Casey Serin would be doing. It has his fingerprints written all over it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Serin

Of course I am being facetious but... nothing seems to add up on the legitimacy of this company PsyStar.

oh, great. a petition, eh...
Why not? :)Do you want a shutdown of OSX86 community which is likely happen soon? :wallbash:

So.Here i tried to put some thoughts about situation. Something which we discuss here, but something which is forgotten by media.http://antst.blogspot.com/2008/04/psystar-...t-is-about.html

Feel free to digg it or what ever.Feel free to give me some comments and suggestions. My English is too far from excellent :)

And the petition: http://www.PetitionOnline.com/pstarp1/petition.html

Why not? :wallbash:Do you want a shutdown of OSX86 community which is likely happen soon? :)So.Here i tried to put some thoughts about situation. Something which we discuss here, but something which is forgotten by media.http://antst.blogspot.com/2008/04/psystar-...t-is-about.htmlFeel free to DIGG it or what ever.Feel free to give me some comments and suggestions. My English is too far from excellent :)

i'm new here so i may be wrong... but i heard that the only reason why apple shutdown IM/OSx86 before was 'cause there were links to pirated copies of os x. i've browsed IM and i've noticed that there aren't any links to os x. the forum that i mod on has a greater chance of gettin' shutdown 'cause we have rapidshare/megaupload links to music/software/movies/ect. (the admin will just bring it back a couple of months later like he did last time...).

i'm new here so i may be wrong... but i heard that the only reason why apple shutdown IM/OSx86 before was 'cause there were links to pirated copies of os x. i've browsed IM and i've noticed that there aren't any links to os x. the forum that i mod on has a greater chance of gettin' shutdown 'cause we have rapidshare/megaupload links to music/software/movies/ect. (the admin will just bring it back a couple of months later like he did last time...).

You are right.

But now situation differ. Psystar uses results of OSX86 to sell something which can potentially affect Apple's sells.

And Apple at first will put some efforts to make usage of OSX86 on generic PC more difficult at first.

And, likely, will try to suppress all this OSX86 activity.

I got a good chuckle when I saw the location of their "business".

It's just a few miles from my house (and no I'm not heading that way with a camera to snap more pics). ;)

As soon as heard about their location, I guessed about the location and unfortunately it's in the area I guessed. There are so many fly-by-night companies around there and people pulling "stunts", it's ridiculous. Who knows, maybe some people that ordered that will get their machines. But without adequate support, they've lost before they've fired even one shot.

I do find it interesting when I read a few posts from some members about Psystar making money off the machines then passing them to IM for free support. I don't happen to see too many of members throwing this site a few dollars to keep it running, but they're getting the support for free. Hmmm. Takes a bit of change to have 2943 users accessing the site in the past 30 mins.

Maybe it's apples and oranges to some, but I think it's worth mentioning. Put your money where your mouth is, and give the site a few dollars to keep it running. They may need it if all this drama goes south.

Although nothing has been said from Apple, I'm pretty sure this community is going to pay for Psystar's actions. I'm glad I got my config down with everything working like I want it at 10.5.2 while I save for my Macbook Pro.... I'm believe that I'm going to be at that version for a while.

well, antst: whatever. a petition won't do much good here. they clearly have already heard that we don't exactly endorse their thing, but if they're going against apple, they're not exactly frightened by the osx86 community either. (and why would they...) i'm not saying psystar isn't a problem. i'm just saying a petition like that is just a funny oddity, nothing really helpful.

well, antst: whatever. a petition won't do much good here.

Of course.

I just want to draw attention to this side of problem.

Guys really parasitize. Are they going to pay netkas, for example, and tens of other major developers? Not!

Did they ask for permission? Not!

But are they going to bring us problems? Yes!

Do you think that they are doing right?

And my activity not addressed to Apple. I just want to rise some interest to this side.

All media write only about one side of medal.