Solving USB problems; USB devices do not mount

LioNEXT

408 posts in this topic

I doubt that it will confuse other devices to have trouble... removable device itself would not cause conflict, but it is the driver that could cause the trouble, which in this case pcgenusb2... (pcgenusb2 causes working systems to act funny for different devices, because it meddles with the bios to work in the first place==and==most of the pcgenusb2 usage area is laptops, because of their non-standard/custom bios usages...)

your situation is unique because your device in the first place has faulty firmware or bug in its firmware... (firmware is the devices own softare inside to make the talking with yor pc via drivers through kernel.) because you said it yourself even in windows it had issues, indicating faulty firmware/hardware problems in its design...

I think you may misunderstand what I am saying. The Dell CAB-200 which is now installed and works perfectly under OS X is the one that had issues with Xp & Vista. When you insert a card into one of the slots it would disappear and show up in device manager as an unknown device. It does not have that problem under OS X. It works just fine. I was originally running Vista on this box and had switched to the cheap 54 in 1 to solve the issue of disappearing drive under Vista (there's a thread over on the Dell support forum that goes back nearly a year and is still ongoing regarding this issue with no solution by Dell). I assume that since the reader works perfectly for me under OS X that the issue is really an MS one. They are both internal readers that install in 3.5" drive bay and plug into a 9 pin header on the motherboard. Both drives also worked under OS X and I could insert media cards and use them without issue. The cheap one is the one that was in my computer and causing issues (yes, I agree, most likely firmware). So both devices did work in OS X but the cheap 54 in 1 I got from China was causing some issue under OS X where it did not have problems under Vista. On removal of the cheap 54 in 1, I regained the ability to use USB thumb drives and the Dell card reader, which I installed after I confirmed that the cheap reader was causing the issue, does not interfere in the same manner.

Toonces

the issue is related to the driver which communicates with the firmware on the device...

I understand what you are saying and still insisting on the firmwares... majority of the device problems are related to either firmwares on the devices or the drivers that are written for them...

for example, if bios is perfect, there would not be bios updates, if firmwares were perfect, there would not be firmware updates, for example recently ati 2600 cards received a firmware update from apple, same goes to different devices on windows as well... also your device may have firmware update as well, if you can check its website, if it has one of course... usually chinese ones keeps coming cheap and cheap everyday, and they rush these devices to market w/o proper firmware written for them, hence usually have troubles in many of the x in ones... how many x works god knows... but at the same time, how many of the Xs you need anyway? unless you are working for a photo shop.... than you wouldnt need a cheepo either...

can you confirm that right now you fixed your version match issue? kernel and system.kext are correct?

if they are correct: test this

+ start osx, plug your problem card reader with memory in it... does the memory show up? if it doesnt device has buggy firmware, if it does continue the test

+ plug in the other dell one, connect it and see if it both works now? if it does work, that means drivers work fine now, if it doesnt work, continue to next test

+ plug out both devices, and plug in only dell one, and see if it works... if it does work that you may be right that your unique situation is caused by the cheap multi card reader...

one last scenerio is that if both devices work individually but not together, that indicates that usb 2.0 controller has some trouble? in this case you can check bios update... and/or use your devices in two different usb2 controller buses... which should not cause any trouble, because they will be controlled by two different controllers...

usually there are more than one usb2 controller on mobos... by using system profiler, you can confirm which usb ports are controlled by which high speed controller... by trying every single one, one by one... if you know what i mean...

Oh, I agree it's most likely the firmware causing the issue. Unfortunately, being a Dell MOBO, it only has a single 9 pin USB header to plug into so I am unable to connect both at the same time. I do know that if I plug the cheap one back in the problem comes back. I am satisfied that everything is now working correctly now that I have removed the cheap reader and that my kernel & system kext versions match as they did in my original post.

Thanks Again for your assistance.

Toonces

Thanks to everyone that had a hand in diagnosing and solving the problem with information and the software presented in this thread. The osx86 community never ceases to amaze me.

Great stuff, it worked like a charm for me!

Another thing that might interest some people:

I had the same problem when connecting my Panasonic NV-GS27 DV-cam to my Audigy 2 ZS firewire plug, only recognized if connected during boot etc, so I thought what the heck, let's try it for firewire too! I noticed through kextstat that a certain kext was loaded when the camera was connected at boot, namely the com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireAVC. So i used the same exact steps from your guide, made a user daemon named FWstarter and added the command kextload -b com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireAVC instead. Now I can hotplug my camera as well without any hassle! Thanks for inadvertently fixing both these problems for me, LioNEXT! :)

just to complete the post ;)

you can mount firewire drives by adding a new user deamon with

kextload -b com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireSBP2

if you have matched the versions with using the installer or by yourself using manual methods, it will mount usb and firewire both!

you dont need lingon! check it and see if it works or not with your own eyes... you dont need lingon if you have the correct versions in your system...

you are just another stupid guy who doesnt read a {censored} around and keep complaining, if you read my signature and follow the link, or you are in this topic and took time to read 1st post you would have solved it already by now... pay some respect, and if you want to post a topic, read the first post first! before you jump to last post and rush posting a sh!ty post like you did...

i will never reply to anyone's topic who just joined the forum... you guys are totaly stupid and waste of time, and always complain that people are rude to you guys...

I ran the pkg to install the USB Fix 1.3 tool but I get the following error:

The following install step failed: run preflight script for 9.2.0 System.kext Only. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

I've attached a screen shot. Any ideas? Is there a way i can do this manually?

Thanks, Tim

preflight.tiff

you are just another stupid guy who doesnt read a {censored} around and keep complaining, if you read my signature and follow the link, or you are in this topic and took time to read 1st post you would have solved it already by now... pay some respect, and if you want to post a topic, read the first post first! before you jump to last post and rush posting a sh!ty post like you did...

i will never reply to anyone's topic who just joined the forum... you guys are totaly stupid and waste of time, and always complain that people are rude to you guys...

Hello?? You didn't read my thread did you? If I didn't follow the steps in the first post, I wouldn't be here posting.

I've thread ALL the methods stated in the first post, and it did help in a way. Things like thumbdrives work, though inconsistantly. But the problem now is that even after all the instructions in the first post, my External hard disk still refuses to mount. Don't just anyhow scold without even thinking. Let me tell you once more, I DID READ AND DO WHAT THE FIRST POST SAID. :D

Hello?? You didn't read my thread did you? If I didn't follow the steps in the first post, I wouldn't be here posting.

I've thread ALL the methods stated in the first post, and it did help in a way. Things like thumbdrives work, though inconsistantly. But the problem now is that even after all the instructions in the first post, my External hard disk still refuses to mount. Don't just anyhow scold without even thinking. Let me tell you once more, I DID READ AND DO WHAT THE FIRST POST SAID. :)

must be a bad day :)

if you did read the topic and post#1 you should have solved it already...

if it doesnt solve the problem, you may have one of the two things;

1) you messed up your installation somehow

2) you may have also pcgenusb2 issue as well? check it...

EDIT: I read your topic, your installation dvd is important , by built in most dvds dont support ntfs reading, Kalyway 10.5.2 is good to start in your situation, it should work with ntfs... only reason it may not mount is that it doesnt know how to read... you need extra driver for ntfs reading... (once again) NTFS reading is not built in in all leo releases, stg can not be mounted if it cannot be read... good luck...

if you have ntfs reading enabled, and it still doesnt mount? your usb hdd may have trouble in its interface in the first place... just reformat it first and see if it helps...

must be a bad day :D

if you did read the topic and post#1 you should have solved it already...

if it doesnt solve the problem, you may have one of the two things;

1) you messed up your installation somehow

2) you may have also pcgenusb2 issue as well? check it...

EDIT: I read your topic, your installation dvd is important , by built in most dvds dont support ntfs reading, Kalyway 10.5.2 is good to start in your situation, it should work with ntfs... only reason it may not mount is that it doesnt know how to read... you need extra driver for ntfs reading... (once again) NTFS reading is not built in in all leo releases, stg can not be mounted if it cannot be read... good luck...

if you have ntfs reading enabled, and it still doesnt mount? your usb hdd may have trouble in its interface in the first place... just reformat it first and see if it helps...

Thanks for your reply.

I've tried reinstalling and unchecking pcgenusb2 on installation but none seems to work.

I used the Kalyway 10.5.2 installation disk and shouldn't have a problem with NTFS since it can read my other partitions in my internal hard disk.

But strangely, my USB disk reads once in a while. :)

howdy. before i go messing things up, i was wondering if this method will solve my problem. i don't have usb connection issues at all, my problem is that only two of the eight usb ports are showing up as high-speed. will this method enable high-speed for all ports? thanks in advance and for the writeup!

do you think this issue can make ethernet drop?

I already solved the usb problem with lingon, and I'm fine with it, but i have the ethernet drop issue with kalyway 10.5.2 so i would ask you if this can be caused by the differents version of kernel and system.kext?

howdy. before i go messing things up, i was wondering if this method will solve my problem. i don't have usb connection issues at all, my problem is that only two of the eight usb ports are showing up as high-speed. will this method enable high-speed for all ports? thanks in advance and for the writeup!

you dont have any problem, thats normal and how it should show...

You have two high speed controller, but it doesnt mean you dont have 8 ports...

think of it this way... you have one sata controller but you can still connect 4-5-6 sata devices on it? makes sense?

@dorts: like i said, if none of the methods working: there are two explanations

1- either your usb hdd's interface (the circuit and software/firmware on it) has trouble, making it one sec work another not...

2- you messed up your installation...

the problem is solved 100% by replacing the kernel/system.kext matching...

if it doesnt work, you have unique situation like explained above (unless you dont have ntfs read/write support)

no other explanation... and looking at your joining date, i can say that quite possibly you messed up something, or simply your device has trouble in its interface... (because you say you have kalyway, it should work fine with ntfs as expected)

Hi,

i am new to this Forum but quite familiar with the Hackintosh topic. I am using Macintosh Computers for about 8 years now and I was using uphuck 10.4.9 on my Intel PC for the last couple moths which was working seamlessly.

Absolutely no Problems, all devices, USB Plug n Play etc. working perfect.

Since all my real Macs are running Leopard now i wanna update this PC too.

My PC has the following Hardware Configuration:

- Intel 3GHz P4 HT on Sockel 478 with SSE3 Support

- Mainboard is a MSI Neo2-V with Intel 865P + ICH5 Chipset and AC97 Audio, Realtek LAN deactivated, P-ATA deactivated - S-ATA only

- Nvidia Geforce 6600GT AGP

- 2 GB DDR Ram

- Firewire Controller

- Intel 100MBit Networking Adapter

- SATA DVDRW, SATA Harddisk

Three days ago I installed Kalyway 10.5.2, It worked well right away but I found out that USB devices would only work if they were attached while booting, thats how I came to this Thread.

My first step was a fresh install without the PCGENUSB Stuff which I accidently installed coz its checked by default :angel:

Regarding the first post I checked the Kernel and system.kext and they weren't matching as expected. Changed the system.kext to 9.2.0 with your tool (kudos to Mysticus C!).

I did everything as explained in the list, steps 7,8,9 as well! And booting with options -v -f

Kernel versions were matching now but unfortunately this didn't solve the Problem, checking the usb kexts it turned out that the MassStorage.kext was still not loading. Even a manual load of the kext wouldn't help USB Disks and Sticks won't be recognized on my System unless they are attached while booting.

Since I had an old VIA USB 2.0 Controller in my hobby room I installed it and gave it a try with another clean install, USB onboard deactivated. But no success, exatly the same behaviour...

btw, I tried Kalyway 10.5.1 with 9.1. kernel as well, didn't work either...

Does anyone have any suggestions for my case? Am I missing something out or is my System not suitable for Leopard?

Thank you very much in advance, and please tell me if I you need any further information concerning my system...

Greetz

just to let you know that MSI mobos known to be very very very problematic for OSX, esp Leopard.

Having said that,

1) get the latest bios revision possible for you bios...

2) Take out the VIA controller as well...

3) Check these settings on your bios:

+ Onboard USB Controller: enabled

+ Legacy USB Support: Enabled == This one is to detect USB devices at boot so they can work during boot purposes, like keyboar/mouse at boot, or USB HDD booting, USB DVD/CD booting etc... (if disabled, USB devices will work once you are in the OS--any OS will behave same== after the drivers are loaded for them)

+ USB Keyboard/Mouse: Enabled

4) Once you booted into OSX, check system profiler/USB to see if you have "High-Speed Bus" in the list.

If you dont have High Speed Bus in the list, this is indication of PCGENUSB2 (to find out if you have pcgenusb2, check the IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/pcgenusb2.kext file, if you have it, you are using pcgenusb2 fix) fix need... This is when the PCGENUSB2 needs to be installed! It forces bios to brings back the High Speed Bus (which is part of the solution)

Once you confirm that you have High Speed Bus (originally or after pcgenusb2)

Use my Installer, go to customize window, select "9.2.0 ToH Sleep kernel+System.kext" and unselect all others (unless you want to revert back to original USBFamily driver if you have pcgenusb2 in the first place and checked that original drivers gave you high speed bus already)

continue to steps 7-8-9

boot with -v -f

now try again...

(If these doesnt solve your problem, find a member named Kabyl, who is patching MSI bioses, because MSI is the most troublesome mobo of all :) wait in his list to get your bios fixed than try the methods== although you may not understand everything i said here, please read couple of times, i m sure you will get the idea... how/when issues happen and how to solve them)

good luck...

@LioNEXT: I guess you dont seem to want to edit post#1

Thx for your fast reply,

legacy support is activated since i am using usb keyboard and mouse only...

I already removed the VIA controller since it made no difference.

High Speed Bus is in the list, already checked that. Unfortunatly I am not sure if I checked it while I was using

the onboard or the VIA controller, will check it again... but i am pretty sure I checked it while using the onboard

controller.

I did try the ToH Kernel as well, so I guess the Problem will be the BIOS/damn MSI :)

I will try to get a BIOS update first and see if it helps.

Thanks for the Info about Kabyl, if the BIOS Update won't make a change i will contact him.

Greetz