Solving USB problems; USB devices do not mount

LioNEXT

408 posts in this topic

could i buy a usb pci card?

will it work?

if i were you, i would invest on mobo rather than tons of extras you would need to buy later...

go for something like:

cheaps: (it will be sligtly expensive than buying usb card, but much better for long run...

gigabyte ga-g31 series or p31 series 945 series

or almost best: more expensive but more features and almost/similar mac components if not better scaleable.. B)

Gigabyte ga-p35-DSX (X=3,4,5) series

good luck...

 Mysticus C*:

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9493/picture6bx0.png

you can see that the IOUMassStorageClass.kext didn't load

what is your mobo name/model? any setting on bios related to usb enabled? legacy usb = enabled? usb controller = enabled? also have you tried any of the lingon trick? before you install the kexts...

I have tried the lingon trick,

i have gigabyte 965p-ds3 the usb is enabled my mouse and my keyboard on usb :\

the problem is with the masstorage kext, even when i load it manual it gets unload with my wireless usb every several minutes (TP-LINK TL-WN321G) :\

I have tried the lingon trick,

i have gigabyte 965p-ds3 the usb is enabled my mouse and my keyboard on usb :\

the problem is with the masstorage kext, even when i load it manual it gets unload with my wireless usb every several minutes (TP-LINK TL-WN321G) :\

what kind of modifications/installations have you done? how/which version did you install osx? and has it always been like this? or recently happened after updates etc...? if you dont give more details it ll be harder to identify... and most importantly, do you have anything strange on your flash drive? like special security software or partition? or ntfs partition? does it perform normal on windows?

because this may be related to your particular device? have you tried any other flash drive? how does/did perform?

also lastly, is using lingon solve the problem? or does it also get unloaded?

========================================================

because usb not mounting problem is mainly caused by system.kext kernel version matching! however there can be other factors as well...

what other factors?

1) mobo's usb controller itself may be problem, or IRQ handling in bios/chipset? i recently learnt that 965 chipset can be quite troublesome especially with acpi functions... and controllers as well...

2) human factor, that fingering too much around w/o knowing what you are doing, you may very well damage files (permissions, info.plist, deletion,replacing wrong version etc)

3) some unique problems related to specific devices only (only the mobo itself, only the flash drive itself, or combination of both...) how can it be? well I have 2900 xt gfx card, and it is supported by osx, via some older/beta framebuffer driver, however, not all the 2900xt cards works on osx even though they are made by same company... how is this possible? sometimes it is related to manufacturing defects on small components, sometimes early engineering samples gets mixed up in production either intentionally or non-intentionaly... although they look like same product they are not... therefore they dont act same)

I'm using kalyway 10.5.2 I keep in customize at the os x installation the default setting and i also checked the Nvinject 256mb for my 7900gs extreme leadtek

more things that i installed on my os x after the os installation:

wireless driver RTUSB D70-1.1.3.0 D71W-1.1.7.0 UI-1.3.0.0_2006_11_10,

your system replace installer

logitech mx1000 drivers

paragon ntfs

ALC888Audio driver for my motherboard(965p-ds3 gigabyte)

Menumeters

and more applications (in kind of *.app just one file)

Partitions: os x partition 100gb, ntfs data partition 100gb, and windows xp partition - 36gb~

Hard disk WD 2500KS

CPU - E4300 @ 3.1 GHZ Intel core 2 duo Overclocked

Memory: G.Skill @825 ghz more or less and 4cl

thanks for helping.

one detail for you: if you left default settings (not talking about choosing your own drivers which you already should) in the patches section, you should have unselected the USB patch which is for problem mobo's that can not obtain usb2 controller ownership which causes usb2 (high speed) not to work... and this driver should not be used on any working mobos... only if you have usb2 issue... so i suggest you to format the partition again and make a new installation and unselect the last usb patch: (aka PCGENUSB fix) not sure, but may be your problem can be this and some others who cant fix the problem... bcoz this driver is not original and also old...

good luck...

I'm using kalyway 10.5.2 I keep in customize at the os x installation the default setting and i also checked the Nvinject 256mb for my 7900gs extreme leadtek

more things that i installed on my os x after the os installation:

wireless driver RTUSB D70-1.1.3.0 D71W-1.1.7.0 UI-1.3.0.0_2006_11_10,

your system replace installer

logitech mx1000 drivers

paragon ntfs

ALC888Audio driver for my motherboard(965p-ds3 gigabyte)

Menumeters

and more applications (in kind of *.app just one file)

Partitions: os x partition 100gb, ntfs data partition 100gb, and windows xp partition - 36gb~

Hard disk WD 2500KS

CPU - E4300 @ 3.1 GHZ Intel core 2 duo Overclocked

Memory: G.Skill @825 ghz more or less and 4cl

thanks for helping.

I think i have the right driver, the chipset that my device are using is rt73 - http://www.east-west.com.au/catalog/produc...products_id=667

and look at the kext the loads ( the last at the list): http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1268/picture10rk9.png

and the Ralink rt73* known as rt2571W

then this is the driver that i need: USB (RT257x/RT2671) http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html (THE ONE FROM 2006) or at the original website: http://www.tp-link.com/support/download.as...amp;m=TL-WN321G

How can i know if have usb2 problem ? how can i diagnose it ?

Can i remove the patch's or just disable them manual?

usb2 problem is on old mobos and usually different chipsets, mostly can be in laptops... so make clean install as normal, but make sure unselect pcgenusb2 driver, bcoz it may not work as it should on your system... your system should not have usb problem... also check your bios for usb legacy support enabled... usb2 enabled... no pcgenusb2!!! make sure!!! also make sure you use the latest installer package on post#123

I think i have the right driver, the chipset that my device are using is rt73 - http://www.east-west.com.au/catalog/produc...products_id=667

and look at the kext the loads ( the last at the list): http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1268/picture10rk9.png

and the Ralink rt73* known as rt2571W

then this is the driver that i need: USB (RT257x/RT2671) http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html (THE ONE FROM 2006) or at the original website: http://www.tp-link.com/support/download.as...amp;m=TL-WN321G

How can i know if have usb2 problem ? how can i diagnose it ?

Can i remove the patch's or just disable them manual?

Ok legacy usb storage is enabled usb2 controller enabled too (they was already enable) i installed the last peckage update i have the sleep kernel

pcgenusb2 is should be on bios too ? where should it locate ?

Ok legacy usb storage is enabled usb2 controller enabled too (they was already enable) i installed the last peckage update i have the sleep kernel

pcgenusb2 is should be on bios too ? where should it locate ?

I have the same mobo as you (965P-DS3 v 3.3) and I can confirm that there is no USB problems with this mobo. In fact, it has been said that gigabyte's 965P and x35 are very close to what apple uses and therefore they are very amicable for OS X installation. I think you pm'ed me once quite a while ago and I had asked you why you have PCGENUSB2. Remove that from the extensions directory ( and delete mkext etc after that). I would suggest that your remove the driver for your wireless also and remove the usb wireless card. Fix one thing at a time. First fix the general USB things. If after doing all this, your USB start working, then go on to putting the ralink card. If that give the problem, I suggest using some other card then.

Since I have the same mobo and I can tell you it is very very stable (well, jmicron controller is the only thing I hate in this mobo that restricts usage of all SATA ports unless AHCI patched) and USB's should be the least thing to be bothered with this mobo. Simply make a new partition and install from scratch there. I know it should work. good luck.

My hard drive work fine on sata ( i got wd)

What's the name of the kext that you talking about ( PCGENUSB2) ?? and when you say mkext etc you mean the file extensions.mkext ? :/

and i got more little problem that maybe can connect the usb issue, when i click on verify permissions in disk utilities (on the os x partition) i got this message:

Repairing permissions for “Mac”

ACL found but not expected on ".".

Permissions repair complete

it happens every time when i verify/repair permissions even when i veify disk permissions after a sec it still shows me that "ALC found but not expected bla bla"

thanks

@noam: do you understand english at all? i said install brand new after formating the drive... unless you have the original usb kext, bcoz you cant just delete that file... it is a replacement plugin inside usb driver... meaning it s a full package...

edit: you are funny problematic guy... keep complaining and doing things wrong, and report that things dont work... i will update to place a link for the original one as an installer, from my update package i created for my other topic, wait couple mins...

HERE IS THE ORIGINAL USB BACKUP INSTALLER... INSTALL THIS SHOULD BE FINE...

Note: the above installer is only to replace the PCGENUSB2... not the real usb fix... install above first only if you have not unchecked the pcgenusb2 on the kalyway 10.5.2 dvd... bcoz it damages the working ones... pcgenusb2 is only for non-working ones... (meaning if you had a problematic non-intel chipset with usb2--high speed-- not working, aka ownership cant be obtained from the bios...)

Ok i installed that.. and i don't have any problems right now (well since i used your installer) the usb don't unmonts, but it still on "test"

good to know that you finally solved the problem. But may I suggest two things:

1) Read the forums a lot. Most of what you faced has already been discussed elsewhere. Make a habit to learn.

2) Before hitting submit, read your post carefully to see if your post makes any sense to you. If you can't understand it, rest assured it is difficult for the other person. Even if you are non-English speaker, I can guarantee that you will be able to catch most of the problems. Too many times, people just post in a hurry without reading. Please don't get offended with this. It is just a good hygiene in posting! :P

good luck... and next time you install, dont use pcgenusb2...

also i dont know why da hel kalyway made it default anyway... it should not be default...

There should be separate threads on each different install where users can request or remove fluffy features to streamline their installs.

I am not sure why people give a lot of preference to Kalyway. Personally, I find iATKOS very good as it is very close to native osx system and installs very fast. And now iATKOS v2 is released as well.

iatkos is good but was lacking some features, like extra drivers... i hope they used the netkas efi this time... which fixes bootloader issue of efi on certain mobos/hdds... also iatkos is stripped down version of osx for only intel architechture, ppc codes been removed always... so it stays small...

considering no more complaints, i guess it is fixed now... so you know now that you will never use pcgenusb2 on your mobo, if you see it selected on an install dvd you have to unselect it!

this is one of the reasons why i scold people 90-95% of the problems are made bcoz of not reading enough or correctly or carefully... and even so, there are answers everywhere, but people usually dont like to read, rather prefer posting to other topics w/o even reading anytg about the problems... i cant blame you this time for kalyway dvd's default setting, but i guess it may have been a geniune mistake by kalyway as well, everyone makes mistakes... ;) thats why we need testers... but testers should understand/know what they are doing... it is very hard to identify problems when testing person have no clue about what he is doing... so unfortunatelly this case ended as usual... people complain things are not working, but actually in the first place they dont know what they are doing... tell me and proove i didnt say so from the begining? ;)

good luck...

considering no more complaints, i guess it is fixed now... so you know now that you will never use pcgenusb2 on your mobo, if you see it selected on an install dvd you have to unselect it!

this is one of the reasons why i scold people 90-95% of the problems are made bcoz of not reading enough or correctly or carefully... and even so, there are answers everywhere, but people usually dont like to read, rather prefer posting to other topics w/o even reading anytg about the problems... i cant blame you this time for kalyway dvd's default setting, but i guess it may have been a geniune mistake by kalyway as well, everyone makes mistakes... :) thats why we need testers... but testers should understand/know what they are doing... it is very hard to identify problems when testing person have no clue about what he is doing... so unfortunatelly this case ended as usual... people complain things are not working, but actually in the first place they dont know what they are doing... tell me and proove i didnt say so from the begining? :)

good luck...

:offtopic:

I got to say this. It is hard to blame the newbies (or noobs) as well since even though the forums contain a wealth of information, it is very hard to unearth the right thread or post. And the search functionality of this forum equally sucks (I know Pcwiz has made a search website now for osx86, which is basically google). The important information is spewed around everywhere. Part of the blame then again falls back to newbies because people post like crazy and overwhelm good posts so much that it really takes patience to go through all the post to dig the right information. Frustrated, people then post the same question again and again in the same large thread or they start a new one to get help. And then you will start finding multiple threads on the same or similar idea without getting much help at all.

So all in all, as much as the forums contain all we need, it is very poorly organized and the rules for posting / starting new threads are bare minimum. I suggest looking at sites like macserialjunkie, where the information is very well laid out with tight rules (I understand they have different requirement than the function this forum serves, but still there gotta be a better way).

So for the good of all of us, we need to overhaul the forum in terms of posting, searching, and overall functionality and appeal. And tight rules. Controlled freedom is always good! :)

Wow thanks guys, the USB thing was the only problem I had to get my OSX86 machine 100% running. Without this thread I would have pulled all my hair out and thrown my machine out the window.

I have Kalyway 10.5.2 installed and left most options standard when installing so the USB driver restore app was priceless. So followed the guide as it says and here i am now with working USB!

Word to all, make sure you read this thread thoroughly. I spent about 2 hours reading and now my issues are sorted.

Thanks again guys. Hopefully they will make this mod in the next DVDs released. :hysterical: