Solving USB problems; USB devices do not mount

LioNEXT

408 posts in this topic

@bennyshum: please let others know your IOUSBFamily.kext version if possible (compress it and) upload it and post a link to it so we can check maybe add it to another installer for some Laptop (laptops usually use funny bioses (customized bioses which causes unique situations/problems) users with similar configs...

@matrog: good luck...

Hi - I followed the manual directions stickied at the beginning of this thread. The only thing I did differently was to use the disk utility to change permissions instead of the chown/chmod thing. However now I get a panic when starting. I did boot using -v-f. It stops at some error finder.app blah blah. Booting with -v -F gets me a panic. Booting with -x seems to just give me the rotating circle startup thing for ever. Booting normally gets me the 7 language restart thing.

Any clue what I did wrong and any clue how to go back?

I did have the 9.2.2 / 9.2.0 kernal mismatch as mentioned which is why I applied the fix.

Thanks!

Matt

@bennyshum: please let others know your IOUSBFamily.kext version if possible (compress it and) upload it and post a link to it so we can check maybe add it to another installer for some Laptop (laptops usually use funny bioses (customized bioses which causes unique situations/problems) users with similar configs...

@matrog: good luck...

As request, and this is where I found the IOUSBFamily.kext file

http://osx86.wikidot.com/utilities-resources

As request, and this is where I found the IOUSBFamily.kext file

http://osx86.wikidot.com/utilities-resources

the file you used from that place is pcgenusb2!!! you either not familiar with your laptop or you dont know nothing about how and why it is used... you just use it randomly,

when you use that file, it means you must definetelly have usb 2.0 issue on your bios... which i doubt you know it all...

it is not just old version, it is modified version for problem bioses... and one of the main reasons I placed original IOUSBFamily in the installer is people accidently use pcgenusb2 in kalyway which causes working devices to not work or cause strange behaviours....

NOTE TO EVERYONE: DO NOT GO TO THE WEBSITE AND DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE USB FILE IN THAT PLACE UNLESS YOU ARE 100% SURE YOU HAVE PROBLEMATIC BIOS....

PEOPLE SHOULD READ MORE AND LEARN WHAT THEY ARE DOING.... BEFORE THEY SAY THINGS LIKE I USED OLD USBFAMILY AND IT FIXED MY PROBLEMS... IT IS A RARE PROBLEM ON HANDFULL OF DEVICES...

an addendum to my previous post - when I boot with -x -v the system hangs with the last line being "login window started security agent"before that, errors include "ALF ALERT: sockwall_cntl_updaterules ctl_enqueuedata rts err 55" "display: family specific matching fails" and "localhost dumppanic: error getting a reference to IODeviceTree:/options"

thanks in advance for any help.

can I slave the drive to another mac and move the files back out of the trash?

flying buddha: your problem in the first place is not usb, you have major other issues which you messed up your installation i guess... i can suggest you to reinstall your OS, Kalyway 10.5.2 (i suppose) again... make sure you dont install pcgenusb2 in the patches section of the installer... and learn what hardwares you have first before you even start trying any install... if you know what you have, you will already know what you need from the installer window customize section...

flying buddha: your problem in the first place is not usb, you have major other issues which you messed up your installation i guess... i can suggest you to reinstall your OS, Kalyway 10.5.2 (i suppose) again... make sure you dont install pcgenusb2 in the patches section of the installer... and learn what hardwares you have first before you even start trying any install... if you know what you have, you will already know what you need from the installer window customize section...

Thanks for your response - I've been using this flawlessly for about 1.5 months, ti my main machine, been playing WOW fully maxed, etc so its not like the system wasn't stressed....... until I attempted the USB fix today. Also, I tested for the pcgenusb2 before applying the patch (as per directions) and it wasn't there. One thing that occured to me is that since I have a 8800GT, do I require the 9.2.2 kext?

Thanks for your response - I've been using this flawlessly for about 1.5 months, ti my main machine, been playing WOW fully maxed, etc so its not like the system wasn't stressed....... until I attempted the USB fix today. Also, I tested for the pcgenusb2 before applying the patch (as per directions) and it wasn't there. One thing that occured to me is that since I have a 8800GT, do I require the 9.2.2 kext?

first of all, you say usb fix, which method did you use for fixing usb issue?

bcoz from the error messages it points to different directions...

also if possible take a screen cap of your boot process while booting with -v so we can see what errors are there....

the file you used from that place is pcgenusb2!!! you either not familiar with your laptop or you dont know nothing about how and why it is used... you just use it randomly,

when you use that file, it means you must definetelly have usb 2.0 issue on your bios... which i doubt you know it all...

it is not just old version, it is modified version for problem bioses... and one of the main reasons I placed original IOUSBFamily in the installer is people accidently use pcgenusb2 in kalyway which causes working devices to not work or cause strange behaviours....

NOTE TO EVERYONE: DO NOT GO TO THE WEBSITE AND DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE USB FILE IN THAT PLACE UNLESS YOU ARE 100% SURE YOU HAVE PROBLEMATIC BIOS....

PEOPLE SHOULD READ MORE AND LEARN WHAT THEY ARE DOING.... BEFORE THEY SAY THINGS LIKE I USED OLD USBFAMILY AND IT FIXED MY PROBLEMS... IT IS A RARE PROBLEM ON HANDFULL OF DEVICES...

Thank you for pointing out me this.

So, don't use this file unless you know what you are doing.

Sorry, if I had gotten anyone messing up their computers because of using that file.

Update: I have made few more changes to the text and the placement of installer as it seems some people will still find it hard to read through the whole thread and mess things up, as usual. :)

@Mysticus C*,

Is that all the modified kernels there are or are there any other as well. We can ask people here to post their kernel if they have installed any different.

Thank you for pointing out me this.

So, don't use this file unless you know what you are doing.

Sorry, if I had gotten anyone messing up their computers because of using that file.

Not at all - I probably screwed up somewhere. Like I said, I tried to follow the manual directions at the beginning of this thread. Two things I did differently - 1) I used disk utility to fix the permissions instead of the chmod/chown thing. Not sure if this affected things, but you may want to add the code for the chmod/chown thing so people won't search all over for that after finally finding your fix... or be lazy like me if that's what screwed this up. 2) Not sure if there is a difference between -f and -F during the reboot, the help file for the boot options indicated -F. I think I was impatient with the system and rebooted about 10 min into the initial reboot. This is what may have ultimately been my downfall and messed up my system.

I ended up reinstalling everything and then used your patch installer - worked excellently! I now have firewire and USB. Everything works off that bus (target mode for my ibook, iPod, flash drives) except my blackberry - it says something about the current being insufficient for charging check drivers etc, then won't mount either - worked on this machine when it was XP, so it must be some quirk with blackberry/mac. I'm not going to worry about it - probably get a usb bluetooth adapter and sync up that way.

Sorry this is so long - I just wanted to thank you guys for your excellent work and clarify that it was my idiocy and not your solutions that caused my issues. Thanks again for your help!

Matt

PS @Mysticus C* - Your avatar made me poke my screen. Evil. hehehe

I ended up reinstalling everything and then used your patch installer - worked excellently! I now have firewire and USB. Everything works off that bus (target mode for my ibook, iPod, flash drives) except my blackberry - it says something about the current being insufficient for charging check drivers etc, then won't mount either - worked on this machine when it was XP, so it must be some quirk with blackberry/mac. I'm not going to worry about it - probably get a usb bluetooth adapter and sync up that way.

For the BB to charge you need to load the BB driver/sync software from http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/mac.jsp

It does the same thing on a Mac or Windows box without the BB software.

I guess by the lack of replies that no one has any suggestions for getting USB to work when the kernel and kext match?

Thanks,

Toonces

I have been having intermittent issues with mounting USB thumb drives since installing Leo4Allv3 on my Quad Core Dell Inspiron 530. Everything else works great. My Logitech Orbit MP webcam and Apple aluminum keyboard work fine. My BT dongle and mouse do not show up as bluetooth but work just fine. My Internal USB card reader also works just fine with various media. System My kernel and system kext match as far as I can tell. When I plug a thumb drive in it takes 2-5 times before it mounts no matter which USB port I use though I have at least 1 thumb drive that never gets recognized. System Profiler sees that the thumb drive is plugged in but does not show it as a drive. Just a USB device. Attached is a screenshot of uname -a, kextstat | grep "USB" & the system plist.info. It looks like they match to me. I just tried inserting one and this time it recognized it but did not mount it. System Profiler shows:JD FIREFLY: Removable Media: No Detachable Drive: Yes BSD Name: disk3 Version: 11.00 Bus Power (mA): 500 Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec Manufacturer: LEXAR Mac OS 9 Drivers: No Partition Map Type: Unknown Product ID: 0xa575 Serial Number: 3563BF05013951150607 Vendor ID: 0x05dcIf I remove it and put it back in a different port I get this in System Profiler:USB Device: Removable Media: No Detachable Drive: Yes BSD Name: disk3 Version: 11.00 Bus Power (mA): 500 Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec Mac OS 9 Drivers: No Partition Map Type: Unknown Product ID: 0xa575 Serial Number: 3563BF05013951150607 Vendor ID: 0x05dcSwitching back to the first port I get this again:USB Device: Removable Media: No Detachable Drive: Yes BSD Name: disk3 Version: 11.00 Bus Power (mA): 500 Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec Mac OS 9 Drivers: No Partition Map Type: Unknown Product ID: 0xa575 Serial Number: 3563BF05013951150607 Vendor ID: 0x05dcSystem log shows the following (I rebooted between the system profiler entries above and the system logs below so the disk number has appeared to change to disk2s1 from disk3s1 shown above. I did verify this in system profiler and it now shows as disk2 though all other entries are identical to what is above.):May 16 23:17:14 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: disk2s1: I/O error.May 16 23:17:14 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: 0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] [ErrType IO] [ErrNo 6] [iOType Read] [PBlkNum 8192] [LBlkNum 8192] [FSLogMsgID 1749016416] [FSLogMsgOrder First] May 16 23:17:14 eriks-macpro31 fseventsd[46]: failed to create the uuid file /Volumes/NO NAME/.fseventsd/fseventsd-uuidMay 16 23:17:15 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: ] [MountPt /Volumes/NO NAME] [Path /Volumes/NO NAME/._.Trashes] [FSLogMsgID 1404851110] [FSLogMsgOrder Last] May 16 23:17:14 eriks-macpro31 fseventsd[46]: disk logger: failed to open output file /Volumes/NO NAME/.fseventsd/00000000000351f8 (Device not configured). mount point /Volumes/NO NAME/.fseventsdMay 16 23:17:15 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: disk2s1: media is not present.May 16 23:17:14 eriks-macpro31 mds[40]: (Error) DiskStore: Unable to create/find index locationMay 16 23:17:15 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: May 16 23:17:15: --- last message repeated 1 time ---May 16 23:17:15 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: disk2s1: media is not present.May 16 23:17:15 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: May 16 23:17:15: --- last message repeated 1 time ---May 16 23:17:15 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: disk2s1: media is not present.May 16 23:17:15 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: May 16 23:17:15: --- last message repeated 1 time ---May 16 23:17:15 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: disk2s1: media is not present.May 16 23:17:15 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: May 16 23:17:15: --- last message repeated 1 time ---May 16 23:17:15 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: disk2s1: media is not present.May 16 23:17:15 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: May 16 23:17:15: --- last message repeated 1 time ---May 16 23:17:15 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: disk2s1: media is not present.May 16 23:17:15 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: May 16 23:17:15: --- last message repeated 1 time ---May 16 23:17:15 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: disk2s1: media is not present.May 16 23:17:15 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: May 16 23:17:15: --- last message repeated 1 time ---May 16 23:17:15 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: disk2s1: media is not present.May 16 23:17:15 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: May 16 23:17:15: --- last message repeated 1 time ---May 16 23:17:15 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: msdosfs_fat_uninit_vol: error 6 from msdosfs_fat_cache_flushMay 16 23:17:16 eriks-macpro31 OptimusMiniDriver[165]: setCurrentLayout: GlobalMay 16 23:17:24: --- last message repeated 1 time ---May 16 23:17:24 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: USBF: 138.378 AppleUSBEHCI[0x6061000]::Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5 seconds on bus 0xfd, timing out! (Addr: 0, EP: 0)May 16 23:17:34: --- last message repeated 2 times ---May 16 23:17:34 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: USBF: 148.378 AppleUSBEHCI[0x6061000]::Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5 seconds on bus 0xfd, timing out! (Addr: 0, EP: 0)May 16 23:17:39 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: USBF: 153.534 [0x6166d00] The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.May 16 23:17:53 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: disk2s1: device/channel is not attached.May 16 23:17:53 eriks-macpro31 diskarbitrationd[50]: unable to repair /dev/disk2s1 (status code 0x00000008).May 16 23:18:01 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: USBF: 175.956 [0x6166d00] The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in. It will keep retrying. (Port 5 of hub @ location: 0xfd000000)May 16 23:18:01 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: disk2s1: I/O error.May 16 23:18:01 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: May 16 23:18:01: --- last message repeated 1 time ---May 16 23:18:01 eriks-macpro31 diskarbitrationd[50]: unable to mount /dev/disk2s1 (status code 0x00000047).May 16 23:18:18 eriks-macpro31 OptimusMiniDriver[165]: setCurrentLayout: GlobalMay 16 23:18:24 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: USBF: 198.379 AppleUSBEHCI[0x6061000]::Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5 seconds on bus 0xfd, timing out! (Addr: 0, EP: 0)May 16 23:18:30 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: USBF: 204.379 AppleUSBEHCI[0x6061000]::Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5 seconds on bus 0xfd, timing out! (Addr: 0, EP: 0)May 16 23:18:31 eriks-macpro31 OptimusMiniDriver[165]: setCurrentLayout: GlobalMay 16 23:18:32 eriks-macpro31 Disk Utility[208]: **********May 16 23:18:32 eriks-macpro31 Disk Utility[208]: Disk Utility started.May 16 23:18:42 eriks-macpro31 OptimusMiniDriver[165]: setCurrentLayout: GlobalMay 16 23:18:49: --- last message repeated 2 times ---May 16 23:18:49 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: USBF: 223.379 AppleUSBEHCI[0x6061000]::Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5 seconds on bus 0xfd, timing out! (Addr: 0, EP: 0)May 16 23:18:51 eriks-macpro31 kernel[0]: USBF: 225.966 [0x6166d00] The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.May 16 23:18:55 eriks-macpro31 OptimusMiniDriver[165]: setCurrentLayout: GlobalMay 16 23:19:25: --- last message repeated 2 times --- Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks! Toonces post-215680-1211004572_thumb.jpg

@Toonces,

I have seen issues like those on apple forums. really dont know why it happens. some people have bought a usb 2 card and it solved their problem. i am not even sure if some of your files are corrupted or anything like that. one thing you can do is reinstall the system.

There is one more thing i can think of. its just shooting in the dark though but try it. there may be some corruption in the framework file that has iokit and kernel framework related to usb. try installing the usb package with log version name in it (iousbfamilylog -308). I am assuming you have 10.5.2. and lets see if we can see something from the log file and check with a google search if someone has that problem.

click the link

@flying buddha: the reason why i asked you to do reinstall is because (I know) there are confusing texts/guide at the beginning part... It needs a bit of revising and I asked LioNEXT to do it, he apparently a bit busy or didnt understand what I asked him... Thats why you may have messed up things and thats why I asked you to reinstall the system and use the installer only and nothing else... it is as simple as that most of the time... I am also aware of the pcgenusb2 confusion and I strongly think that not many people know about it or how/when to use it or what it does to the system... I cant help much for the last part as people need to learn a bit more to read... on their own...

for the avatar: thats the whole point... if you dont poke your monitor once, it means it doesnt work as it is intended... :D

@Tooncess Katt: Make a bran new installation on your system, I highly suggest using Kalyway 10.5.2... Most likely you have mixed matched meshed up system files all over the place... after brand new install, use the usb fix installer v1.3 if it still doesnt help, than go for debug drivers like LioNEXT pointed out...

good luck...

@Mysticus

I read your message and made a quick correction to the post last night. Could you go through it and point me what may still be confusing (there may be few spelling errors or alike; i will fix those today)? I have changed the outlay as you intended with manual fix at the end of the post. Although, I still believe the installer should be after the discussion of three bullet points as people must understand what they are doing. Otherwise, it will be rewarding for their bad reading behavior. :huh:

@macmuslim: good luck with your system brother... :blink:

@LioNext: I sent you a PM already to identify the changes... the organization is much needed because information on post#1 is a bit out of order... and was confusing, (was much more confusing earlier for newbies)

Hope the suggestion works well this time...

cheers...

@LioNEXT: are you ignoring my PM regarding the first post? or you dont wanna change to suggested texts...? Let me know so I dont waste my time around anymore...
Nope. I plan to correct that today sometime. Actually, I had been in and out of home enjoying the long weekend (3 days). :) It takes quite a bit of time for major editing of text. so it kept on getting delayed. hopefully today it will be updated.
great work, this version mismatch fixed my USB problem installed w/ Kalyway 10.5.2 release.thanks again!
nJoy and good luck with hack-n-tosh machine

Just wanted to stop back by and let you know the solution to my issue reported earlier. My original post included details that showed that kernel and kext were matching yet still had an issue with USB drives not mounting. I was able to spend some time over the holiday weekend and tracked the issue down. I initially did as Mysticus C and lioNEXT suggested and installed a fresh system using the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD. I did this on a second HD so I could maintain my original install. After going through and setting the correct options for my hardware in setup I had the same issue as my Leo4All V3 install. I used Mysticus' program and set both 9.2.2 kernel and kext and even tried the 9.20 sleep kernel when the 9.2.2 did not change the symptoms. I must point out that from the beginning, I chose 9.2.2 vanilla kernels in both Kalyway and Leo4All and unchecked the USB package in Kaly so those were not installed anyways. So what I ended up with is the same issue using both Leo4All and Kalyway 10.5.2 where everything was correct verson wise and I still had USB drives that would not mount or would only sometimes mount. All appropriate USB kexts were also all loaded so it should have been working.

On further research into my error messages, I found a reference to an old known problem regarding USB 2.0 card readers and mounting of devices on Apple's mailng list archives. While the report was from 2005 it at least made me look into the card reader as a possible issue. The card reader in my Dell is a generic internal 54 in 1 card reader with 5 slots and 1 USB connector. I had removed the Dell (TEAC) CAB-200 as it had problems under Vista where my $9 shipped from China 54 in 1 did not. It also appeared to work correctly under 10.5.2 as well. So anyways, I unplugged the card reader from the mobo header and started up into the new Kaly install I had done and plugged in the most troublesome of my thumb drives to one of the Dell front panel USB ports and it loaded up perfectly. I rebooted into my previous install and now it worked as well! I still had the Dell 19 in 1 w/Bluetooth card reader laying around so I plugged it in and everything continued to work and thumb drives mount correctly. Just to mke sure it wasn't a fluke, I plugged the generic 54 in 1 back into the mobo header and the USB problems came back.

So not all of these problems are mismatched kernel. Cetainly, USB hardware can cause strange issues as well and a cheapo card reader may be overlooked as the possible source. Especially if it works by itself.

Toonces

good catch mate, but the usb problem is mainly (i say mainly because there is pcgenusb2 issue as well) caused by the version matching... your problem looks like usb device itself has issue with USB standards itself in its firmaware... If a device itself doesnt work in the first place there is not much anyone can do obviously... your problem was device you say... but without fixing version match, you cant fix the issue even if it was working... if you know what i mean...

version matchin is a must (of cource the device should be working as well, if it is faulty, noone can do anything about it)

@LioNEXT: ok i understand, i just though u were ignoring, long weekend (3days) was here too... ;)

@Mysticus, Yeah, I agree, the versions must match and for at least 95% that is most likely the issue. When I first installed, I used Kaly and would never have known to uncheck pcgenusb2 without reading your posts. The strange thing was that the hardware that caused the problem worked just fine itself under OS X and actually solved a longstanding problem that the Dell reader has had under XP and Vista with the reader disappearing on inserting a card. I guess the best thing to do for those that have already tried your program and have matching versions would be to unplug USB devices one at a time and keep trying their thumb drive to see if it's a hardware issue. Even if the device is working it could be causing conflicts on the USB bus that keep other devices from functioning properly.

Thank You to both you and lioNEXT for your assistance and this thread!

Toonces