Solving USB problems; USB devices do not mount

LioNEXT

408 posts in this topic

update new:

I figured out what is causing the problem... needed to make some scripts for fixing this...

now creating the new installer with all the files needed again, and hopefully this time it will work as it should...

what will this new installer do (it will definitely do this this time, as i tested it throughly...)?

+ it will first back-up your original files that are installed to another folder named backups (in root, /backups) which will be created during installation... the reason is you may need the files later... maybe :D

+ install any files that are selected in custom window, and will not require you to manually remove anything as it will definitely remove the file first (well technically it will back up first)

+ after all this will be hopefully the last installer for 9.2.x systems... all together...

now, stay tuned for the modified installer... :)

update news: (also LioNEXT please update the link for the first post, this is revised installer and now definetely installs correct versions no matter which version is around...)

New installer is done, and checked many times to see if it is working this time... 100% checked and working...

(installer is only one file now... no more multiple files, which causes some trouble when people gets smarter, to try things separately... in which they may miss some stuffs..

DOWNLOAD

Installer fixes USB and FW on my ASUS P5KR thank you guys this is my first post but I have been reading for weeks , all other newbs read more ask less , please. You will get there, the info is all here

Thanks again to the efforts of a few people on here , if your ever in my neck of the woods I will buy you a beer

Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd (sse2/sse3) EFI V8 DVD

Q6600 @ 3.1 8Gig Team extreme DDR800 , ASUS PK5R,Sapphire HD2600XT 256GDDR4, Pioneer Sata DVD , 3 x 1TB WD sata HDDs .

Add this patch and it all runs 100% functioning :P :P :P

i may be a noob for posting this but here goes nothing.

i tried the lingon method, rebooted and my usb worked. i shut down my pc, restart again, later to find my USB stopped working wt :rolleyes:

i sat down and read the whole thing i don't understand anything at all...

now for the question, since the lingon program starts usb devices, does that program need to be at startup.... or probably something i missed out, i will check

(didn't have all that problem with tiger ? :wacko: )

------

edit : seems to work now, dunno what i did !! lol

babyblue: read post#177 remove the lingon stuff you made... and install the file on post#177 thats all you need... however you need to know what version of osx, kernel and system.kexts you have, i doubt that you know anything about it since you just joined... you gotto read more before you jump to do anything...

update news: (also LioNEXT please update the link for the first post, this is revised installer and now definetely installs correct versions no matter which version is around...)

New installer is done, and checked many times to see if it is working this time... 100% checked and working...

(installer is only one file now... no more multiple files, which causes some trouble when people gets smarter, to try things separately... in which they may miss some stuffs..

DOWNLOAD

Hola Mysticus!

I took the care to read the previous messages and do my best to interpret them (I used to be a pc user and got my MacBook today after being robbed - I´m typing this now as my pc laptop is somewhere in the hands of the thieves... :D ).

As I work daily with the computer I had to buy another one just now (decided to do the mac transition), but being a newbie does not help much.

After following the forum tips, the MacBook is not working anymore - let me explain what happened.

So today I was trying to make the MacBook recognize my external USB desktop 500GB hard disk that I used with my old pc, and the Mac did not ¨see¨ it.

I was happy to find such a great community here and got excited to do the steps to use my usb backup.

So when using your application file above, I restarted the computer and now I always get this following message:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x00431E73): ¨Unable to find driver for this platform: \¨ACPI\¨.n¨@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.4.31/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1407

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x2e11bdd8 : 0x12b0f7 (0x4581f4 0x2e11be0c 0x133230 0x0)

0x2e11be28 : 0x431e73 (0x49c218 0x389f720 0x2e11be58 0x390a700)

0x2e11be48 : 0x40fd82 (0x39aca80 0x38e8b80 0x1 0x3ea740)

0x2e11bea8 : 0x411c17 (0x38e8b80 0x39aca80 0x3994b40 0x0)

0x2e11bf28 : 0x41147b (0x38e8b80 0x390a700 0x8 0xffffffff)

0x2e11bf78 : 0x4100f7 (0x38e8b80 0x0 0x2e11bfac 0x1)

0x2e11bfc8 : 0x19eadc (0x389f4b0 0x0 0x1a20b5 0x39008b8)

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

BSD process name corresponding to current thread : Unknown

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.2: Tue Mar 4 21:17:34 PS

Just on the last line of the ¨Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.2: Tue Mar 4 21:17:34 PS¨ it seems that there should be more text, but a text block does not allow me to read the rest of this line.

The box says in four languages ¨You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button¨

As I said, I just bought it this morning. Brand new with OS 10.5.2 installed. Basically I did nothing except installing the application (installed about 4 updates that seemed more or less relevant before the application, but I do not think they made any interference).

Notice that I have basically two problems:

1) this one is that I was trying to make a pc-configured external hard disk work on a mac. I guess I will need someone to help me properly configuring the hard drive anyway, but that is another issue

2) make my MacBook boot properly! I am on an endless loop with this reboot message - I inserted the original Disk 1 on the drive in the hope the machine would boot from there, to no success. It makes some reading sound, but keeps giving me the error above.

Any insight will be so much appreciated. Everyone I asked around to help was not able to do anything (most everyone seems to be still in the PC world!)

hey seilist, do you have an original macbook? or hackintosh? bcoz this is a hackintosh thread... and your kernel looks 10.5.2 and looks original (vanilla) under normal circumstances you wouldnt need anything... not even this installer...

first tell us if you have original macbook? or hackintosh?

Update: Installer version 1.3 is now on the first post. I hope this does not give any errors.

@seilist,I think you are talking about Macbook. I think using the installer, you had actually used the modified kernel which is not meant for mac. They are only for hackintoshes. Well, you can fix it yourself too, should be relatively easy, but if you are not comfortable using the Terminal, I advise that you take it to the apple store and have them fix it. It should be in warranty. Make some story with them that your USBs were not working and you found out some installer for replacing the USB kexts to fix but instead you toasted your OS. Show that you are complete rookie. And I am sure they will be more than willing to help you.If you want to use DVD to boot, keep pressing C during startup and it will boot from the DVD. (there are more than one way actually; if you press Option, you will be given the choices to boot from; you can also use Cmd-Option-Shift-Backspace to be pressed at the same time)

There are some USB related threads on this forums here that kind of linger on without much replies or real solutions. I hope we can make one thread that is all USB problems related (please point me to it if there is already an amalgamated one; this forums search functionality really sucks).

Few things first:

8 ) Open a finder window, and locate /S/L/Extensions.mkext file. Right Click on it, and select Move To Trash (enter password of course later)

9 ) Locate /S/L/E/C/com.bla bla file and same right click and move to trash

10 ) Restart and at boot press F8 where it waits for 5 secs. Type: -v -f (this is gonna recreate driver caches and fast boot caches. the reason why we are doing 7,8 is sometimes these caches prevent new drivers from loading. Although Leopard has auto update function on these caches, sometimes better take precaution...)[/color]

Thank you, the file works great however I wanted to know for option Step 9, which com. files to delete? Right now I have 7 but I'm not exactly sure which ones to delete. Any help would be great, thank you in advance.

Thank you, the file works great however I wanted to know for option Step 9, which com. files to delete? Right now I have 7 but I'm not exactly sure which ones to delete. Any help would be great, thank you in advance.

I made some abbreviations...

people are ignore reading it...

S:System

L:Library

E:Extensions

C:Caches

the com.blabla file is only one file! if you go to the folder you will find it! /S/L/E/C/com.blabla blabla is not really blabla, it is com.apple.kext.info it is only one file in the folder... again what folder? are you guys just kidding? or really stupid?

what does /S/L/E/C/ stands for? why am i even bothering to write these? people dont try to do a {censored} on their own and like to ask questions instead of reading and doing...

if you have 7 files (which i dont know why? and doubt there should be more than one...) just delete them all... they must be back up of each previous one... just delete them all... but make sure you are in the correct folder? and didnt use spotlight to find com. files... you may just delete wrong files...

babyblue: read post#177 remove the lingon stuff you made... and install the file on post#177 thats all you need

ok i will now remove the lingon stuff and download the mentioned installer, will update when am done

cheers

First of all, thank you for the usb fix package that you had provided.

It solved my USB issue, but it caused other issue after i installed (default installation setting) that.

Now my laptop takes longer than before to shutdown. :)

Any idea?

Thank you.

Laptop: ASUS W7S

Kernel: SpeedStepKernel

Kalway 10.5.2

most likeley it is usb related, i dont know if you have read the guide, on how/why you need to use default settings...

9.2.0 system.kext is default bcoz of by default, kalyway installs 9.2.0 kernel so you fixed one part of the problem (also i see that you changed it to speedstep which is another 9.2.0 kernel so no problem there either)

IOUSBFamily original is also default, bcoz Kalyway install PCGENUSB2 driver which is needed only on problematic systems where usb 2.0 information cant be released to OS and therefore you need to force bios to release it... PCGENUSB2 does this job, however there are not many systems which has this problem, and these systems are relatively old or use non standard bioses.

The only thing I can think of may cause this problem is, since you were not able to use USB before, drivers related to it, was not needed to be unloaded during shutdown, since it is working now, it has to be unloaded during shutdown, and most likely OS is sending signal to all usb ports to scan what is there and what is not, in case if it needs to write/save any information from/to it (any usb storage devices)... OS syncs everything before bad things happen...

So how long is it delayed? how long was it before ? and after the fix? this is the debatable question... I have 17 USB ports on my pc (12 on board + 5 pci card) takes longer when all on the system if i take, pci card and extension port it takes less time for shutdown and restart... (the difference is between is about 5-10 secs) due to having usb storage on or off in any slot...

@bennyshum

what Mysticus C* said is certainly right but since you said it is a laptop, I won't think you would have too many USB ports, probably 2 and at the most 4. If you don't have anything connected to them, the shutdown should be fairly fast. If we are talking up to 10-15 seconds, I think you are good. But if it takes like 30 sec - 1 min, I would say something is going on.

I can perhaps suggest that you clean all the kernel and system caches as well (you already cleared kext caches). One can do it oneself as well, but you can use a utility like Cocktail, Onyx or MacPilot to clear out all the caches. I would then let it have two or three reboots (over a period of time; don't shutdown immediately after startup) before drawing any definitive conclusion.

Have you noticed your boot up time also being affected or is it just the shut down? For boot up time, I have seen this helps (in Terminal, sudo and then:

kextcache -e -z -a i386

kextcache -a i386 -z -k /System/Library/Extensions

Again, thank you for the long reply from Mysticus C* and LioNEXT. I really appreciated your help.

As suggested by LioNEXT, I had use OnyX to clear the system cache, but it did not help my shutdown. Before I install this package, it usually takes less that 10 seconds to shutdown after i click the shutdown. And now, after I click shutdown, after few seconds it turn off the screen, and hard drive, and about another 30 seconds to turn off the whole thing even there is no USB devices attached to my laptop. It also applied to restart too.

I also went to the BIOS see if there was any related setting for USB, but my BIOS was real simple that I cannot see anything about USB.

The reason why I choose speedstep kernel, because it was the only kernel that can 100% shutdown my laptop. I had tested other kernels, and about 50% of the time that cannot shutdown my laptop.

The last thing is, the boot time is normal according to my feeling.

Hope the above information helps.

Thank you so much.

The reason why I choose speedstep kernel, because it was the only kernel that can 100% shutdown my laptop. I had tested other kernels, and about 50% of the time that cannot shutdown my laptop.

The last thing is, the boot time is normal according to my feeling.

Well if you dont care about battery life so much, you can get rid of speedstep kerenl and instead use the sleep kernel. Netkas 9.2.0 sleep kernel just works! 100% of the time at least for me. I hope others can also attest to it.

Well if you dont care about battery life so much, you can get rid of speedstep kerenl and instead use the sleep kernel. Netkas 9.2.0 sleep kernel just works! 100% of the time at least for me. I hope others can also attest to it.

I had change my kernel to NetKas 9.2.0, but still the same.

Any other suggestion??

I had change my kernel to NetKas 9.2.0, but still the same.

Any other suggestion??

I think I had solved the problem. And again thank you for your help, LioNEXT and Mysticus C*.

Just in case if anyone had the same issue, here is what I did.

I replace the IOUSBFamily.kext file with an older version. Now my usb devices can be plug and play, and the shutdown time back to normal.

Now the only thing left is sleep / wake issue

Thank you again.