Solving USB problems; USB devices do not mount

LioNEXT

408 posts in this topic

First, thank you for all the hard work you've been doing to help people fix these little quirks :D

I will confirm all settings from your detailed how-to tonight. I wonder though if you know if these symptoms are part of the issues you do fix:

Sporadic disconnects of USB keyboard and mouse or booting and both keyboard and mouse inoperable until they are re-plugged in?

I used 10.5.2 Kalyway and tried to use the manual fix.

Kernel panic!

I do not know where did I went wrong, I retired for almost 5 times but I'm not giving up!

I can download the installation file as it is on Rapidshare, the anti-dynamic IP hosting.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I have had this problem for a long time and today just thought to look for a solution. It worked! I never thought the problem would be fixed. It also fixed a problem where I had to manually load a kext for my wireless card after startup somehow! Thank you! I am running on a Dell Inspiron E1705/9400 running Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2. I would update to 10.5.4 but last time I had a problem where it would freeze after Leopard started. Thank you!

EDIT: My kernal and System.kext didn't match and I had the PCGENUSB Fix installed by Kalyway but didn't need it.

Just to let you guys all know that I am making a newer and better installer again :tomato:

========================================================

Everyone Should Understand This Before Attempting What USB issue you are having

Because some of you have both issues... 1) USB 2.0 (high speed controller) not recognized

2) USB devices do not mount!

in 1) your devices will mount and work, but very slow, due to High Speed Bus is not working

in 2) your devices will not mount at all, or will mount only if it is plugged at start up

Read for more details...

Issue 1: USB 2.0 Controller is not recognized... (To confirm the issue check System Profiler's USB section, High Speed Bus should be missing!)

Cause 1: This is a bios issue and the way apple reads usb controller from bios... As a result, USB2.0 Controller ownership cannot be taken from bios

Fix 1: Fixing this involves installing a pcgenusb patch force-take ownership from bios...

How the fix is Done: This is done through patching the source in IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleUSBEHCI.kext... by adding force lines into it... Currently there are two fixes for this for Leo. a-) Earlier version of AppleUSBEHCI.kext is patched and name is replaced with PGENUSBEHCI.kext (meaning you should see PCGENUSBEHCI instead of AppleUSBEHCI, inside plugins folder of IOUSBFamily) b-) Latest ?? version of AppleUSBEHCI is patched but name is unchanged! So it should look as original... If you have Both PCGENUSBEHCI and AppleUSBEHCI in the plugins, it means you are doing something wrong... One must go depending on which patched you are using... My suggestion is that if both there, remove appleusbehci, or completely replace iousbfamily with the one i ve given to you in a link before...

Issue 2: USB Devices Do not mount... (To confirm the issue, you have to check both kernel version, and system.kext versions, if they are not same, you have the issue)

Cause 2: This issue is related to system files compatibility with eachother for security, performance and stability reasons.. As said, mistmatched kernel and system.kext is the cause.

Fix 2: Fixing this is very easy, use either my usb mount fix in the second post (check kernel/system.kext version correctly, and unselect iousbfamily in your case bcoz you already have usb controller issue... or you can use the 10.5.3 or 10.5.4 updaters, and use only kernel section and unselect everything else!

How the fix is Done: Fix is done very simply replacing the kernel or system.kext to correct version... my suggestion is to match system.kext to kernel version.

Both of these issues are always being confused for eachother... Very simple 2 step check is key to finding answer...

Check system profiler's USB section, if High Speed Bus is missing, your main issue is Bios related, if you are lucky, pcgenusb patch or the iousbfamily totaly patched, from the link i gave u, should fix the first step of the problem... Understand that fixing USB 2.0 Controller recognition doesnt mean you fixed the mount issue... Mount issue is not LUCK related :) , second step is by checking the version of the kernel and system.kext version and replacing correct versions of files..

This time I am going to include both fixes for;

USB Mount Fix

USB 2.0 Controller Fix

===============

This time I will keep the installer simpler using only 2 Kernel/System.kext Options for mount issue...

1) Kernels will be, 9.2.0 Sleep Kernel, that works in almost all machines... and 9.4.0 StageXNU ToH sse2 sse3 kernel

2) IOUSBFamily with both old and latest versions of patch, for USB 2.0 (HIGH SPEED BUS) Controller

I will post the link soon... cheers...

(Note that, if you have no issue, no need to run new installer, only if you have issues described above!)

• 2 weeks later...

hi mate,

can you help me with my usb. I tried your installer but no luck, so i have a sample pictures here to see what is my problem with my usb. with windows it works fine but in mac it doesn't work i tried almost all the given solution in insanelymac i hope you can help me..

Here are the photos:

http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00658vj8.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00659gh3.jpg

Thank you..

I tried downloading the new installer from you link, but mediafire says "The key you provided for file download was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on Mediafire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or Mediafire."

Also, when using the old installer (On the First page), it fails and tells me "The following install step failed: run preflight script for 9.2.0 System.kext Only. Contact the Software Manufacturer for assistance."

Screenshot:

picture1vy9.th.pngthpix.gif

Any advice?

Hi

This is my first post and I would like to thank all the contributors here for their time in hard work. I wouldn't have been able to get to where I was with this project If it wasn't for all of you. Cheers :)

Now on to my problem...

I was able to use all of my USB ports, but devices would not mount unless I rebooted. I followed the instructions and downloaded the fixer above and it worked great. However a new problem developed. Now the three USB 2.0 ports on my PCI card only register as USB 1.0 and work with my Soundsticks, but won't with my Keyboard, mouse or external USB drive. There are 2 Firewire 400 ports on this card that work perfectly. The card is an orange micro I got a few years ago for my Digital Audio mac to add USB2.0. I did in fact search the site, but I didn't find any instance where people had run into the same problem. Any idea's of what I might be missing?

Also is there a way to view the post replies all at once or in sections? Everything is collapsed and I have to click on each replies link in order to view.

Thanks for your help and time.

Laish

Hi

This is my first post and I would like to thank all the contributors here for their time in hard work. I wouldn't have been able to get to where I was with this project If it wasn't for all of you. Cheers ;)

Now on to my problem...

I was able to use all of my USB ports, but devices would not mount unless I rebooted. I followed the instructions and downloaded the fixer above and it worked great. However a new problem developed. Now the three USB 2.0 ports on my PCI card only register as USB 1.0 and work with my Soundsticks, but won't with my Keyboard, mouse or external USB drive. There are 2 Firewire 400 ports on this card that work perfectly. The card is an orange micro I got a few years ago for my Digital Audio mac to add USB2.0. I did in fact search the site, but I didn't find any instance where people had run into the same problem. Any idea's of what I might be missing?

Also is there a way to view the post replies all at once or in sections? Everything is collapsed and I have to click on each replies link in order to view.

Thanks for your help and time.

Laish

click options at the top of the thread to change it to standard view.

Regarding USB, not sure if you have that PCGENUSB problem I had talked in the first post. Also, are you on 10.5.5. I got a problem recently and have listed as update in my first post.

Anyone getting USB problems after 10.5.5, please check first post if that is relevant for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! I'm kindof new to posting on this forum, though i've read avidly for months. My problem is this--I successfully installed the Kalyway distro for 10.4.10 Tiger on my HP Pavilion DV8000 laptop with intel Celeron Duo last summer, and to great effect. Inspired by this success, I went to upgrade it to Kalyway Leo 10.5.2, but upon installation, my USB ports no longer detect...I've loaded Leo in verbose mode to see if I could detect a problem, and it tells me that Leo can't resolve an ownership conflict with the BIOS regarding USB ports, which is leading to the issues. Please, the USB issue is my main problem, since I know my wifi chipset isnt supported yet and have a USB dongle for wireless on my laptop, so I really would like to resolve this as quickly as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I should add that I have the kexts which come with the Kalyway install disc under USB fix when you can choose which packages to install with the OS...no other ones.

Hey guys! I'm kindof new to posting on this forum, though i've read avidly for months. My problem is this--I successfully installed the Kalyway distro for 10.4.10 Tiger on my HP Pavilion DV8000 laptop with intel Celeron Duo last summer, and to great effect. Inspired by this success, I went to upgrade it to Kalyway Leo 10.5.2, but upon installation, my USB ports no longer detect...I've loaded Leo in verbose mode to see if I could detect a problem, and it tells me that Leo can't resolve an ownership conflict with the BIOS regarding USB ports, which is leading to the issues. Please, the USB issue is my main problem, since I know my wifi chipset isnt supported yet and have a USB dongle for wireless on my laptop, so I really would like to resolve this as quickly as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I should add that I have the kexts which come with the Kalyway install disc under USB fix when you can choose which packages to install with the OS...no other ones.

You probaby have that PCGENUSB.kext issue. Looks like you must have it. Make sure you do.

I had the USB mounting problem and tried the installer and it worked great. But now it seems I have another problem; my Restart/Sleep/Shutdown have stopped working. When I select Restart or Shutdown, it starts to log off and the dock and menubar disappear, then the monitor enters "sleep mode" but the computer remains running and I have to hold down the power button to turn it off. With Sleep, it enters sleep mode but I cannot wake it. All three of these features were working last night, and I haven't made any changes since then other than this installer. I am running Kalyway 10.5.2 Intel/AMD.

Hmm... Well, I just finished installing the fix for High Speed bus recognition posted by " Mysticus C*" and now my Restart/Shutdown/Sleep commands seem to fixed... I don't know why but I'm not complaining. My "Hackintosh" is now 100% working, so I would like to give my thanks to the many members of this community whose posts, drivers, kexts and DVD's helped me to achieve this. Keep up the amazing work!

Hi,

yesterday night i finally got fed up with the usb problems and searched for a fix and i came across this site but while doing so i check the kernel and system.kext versions and the kernel was 9.2.0 and the system.kext was 9.3.0. so i dl'd the 9.2.0 system.kext and moved it to the appropriate place placing a copy on the desktop. and upon booting i get the following screens.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk253/m...ex17/photo4.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk253/m...ex17/photo4.jpg

i think what i did wrong is tht i didnt mess with the permissions at all. is there anyway to either revert to the old system.kext or change the permissions before it boots. i can get to the darwin prompt and when i boot with the "-v -f" flags it just hangs there. i even let it hang while i slept and it was still there.

please help me

marinex: u dont seem to give proper explanation to your problem... did you use the fix or not? or did you just move things around?

use this installer to choose correct options...

if your usb devices were not mounting, use kernel+system.kext combinations... if you have usb 2 controller issue (aka high speed bus) use the latest iousbfamily fix...

lionext: the last fix should work for most people with the latest updates as well... so please add it to the first post since this is made later than 1.3 fix, u can add this on top of it, as an addition :P

sorry about tht, my problem is tht i just moved the 9.2.0 system.kext into the appropriate place but didnt fix the permissions at all. i did not use the installer which i should have. but now upon restarting i get a kernel panic. is there any way to rectify this issue without have to reinstall?