Solving USB problems; USB devices do not mount

LioNEXT

408 posts in this topic

I made a new update package for 10.5.3, if anyone want to test it out...

Note: If you have Nvidia card, 10.5.3 update doesnt work well with old nvinjects. New nvinject is in the works, so until it comes out, you need to use either gfx strings or old drivers with old nvinject which i included in the nvidia section... there is no warning for ATI cards Natit works fine still (as i am on 2900, x2000 and x3000 series works fine i think)

The update package should work and relatively safe, however use it on your own risk! Ideally on a separate test partition... Dont Blame me if you choose wrong stuffs and brick anything...

By default, it installs vanilla kernel, but i have other choices as well with correct system.kext embed for usb mount fixing...

here is the screen cap of its contents and download file...

Part 1

sc1mt8.png

Part 2

sc2hm8.png

DOWNLOAD

Hope it works for you all...

A small information guide about the update package/contents:

1) 10.5.3 OSX Combo Update and Fix 10.5.3 are necessary and selected

2) Kernels : By default 9.2.0 ToH Sleep Kernel selected with correct system.kext version, if you dont select any kernel, it will install 9.3.0 vanilla kernel and 9.3.0 system.kext

3) Drivers: By default, no audio/video/network selected, but chipset drivers selected, unless you know what you are doing, dont touch chipset selections. Install anything you need.

Special Note to Nvidia VGA Owners: 10.5.3 update disables old nvinject, therefore QE is disabled as a result hardware acceleration is trimmed. So everything on screen may lag. There are two solutions to this problem.

Solution A-): Use gfx strings (not included in this update package, although I intended to) if you know how to... (gfx strings supported by efi v8, R3 iatkos doesnt have it, so you either need to install it manually, or make a clean Kalyway 10.5.2 in the first place)

Solution B-): In nvidia drivers/nvinject section: Select OLD Nvidia Drivers + Correct Nvinject as usual... (this is temporary solution for nvidia users, and once new 10.5.3 compatible nvinject comes out, I will make gfx update fixer for newest drivers, sou you will get back everything)

4) Patches:

Mac.Pro Named Smbios by Mac.Nub is selected and works quite well, however if you know what you are doing, you can change this setting to any other, but suggest not to touch it.

USB: If you have issue with your High Speed Bus (aka USB 2.0 Controller) you can use this driver. However do not confuse this driver as USB NOT MOUNTING (read frequent problems section above for details of usb not mounting issue) fix. This is totally different. Make sure you understand the difference.

5) Usefull Program: By default none is selected. I recommend all of them.

Candybar: to change/sort your OSX icons.

Colloquy: IRC client

Kernel Installer: Very simple kernel install program for newbies

Kext Helper: Very simple kext (aka driver)l install program for newbies

Perian: Various video/audio codecs for Quicktime. Think of it as multipack codec pack to play majority of the video files, in quicktime without need of any 3rd party apps.

VLC: This is all-in one multi purpose video/audio player. Even if you have perian, this is one of must-haves...

Good Luck and Enjoy...

@LioNEXT: I guess you dont seem to want to edit post#1

Well, I finally did it! The post looks good and readily comprehensible :) Sorry it got late as I promised.

I had been getting distracted this week with so many things. First finishing my work grants, reports, etc. And then came along 10.5.3 and I got a new hard disk WD 640 GB (have heard that its performance, except for random seek, is on par with Raptors, due to two 320GB platters), so thought of installing the Leopard on this. And then, next day my Seagate carrying TimeMachine backup and all my movies and some other data went kaput! Took some time to get that recovered. I am right now in the process of light it up for a while so that I can delete and write zeroes over it to send it back to Seagate for replacement. Boy, I used to have a very good opinion of Seagate, but lately, this is the third Seagate drive I am having problem with. That clicking chirping noise irks me! Not to mention about their firmware problem.

yeah once in a while, you may get issues with certain hardwares that comes faulty out of manufacturing... I was helping one of my friend, and helped him install his OS... in couple of days, his hdd went haywire like your situation, and my friend blamed me for installing OS wrong, and OS installed broke it... I still helped him send it to shop he bought it from, and they confirmed that couple of the same series came out faulty and manufacturer was aware and they were happy to replace it with another model/series... after that I dont help certain people... :) People without enough knowledge and experience are easy to blame others for this kind of unique problems... Like in another occasion, I was helping another friend who got a new PC, had sound problems... When I checked his system, found his sound card's some ports are haywire :D dont work at all... but didnt open the case, but helped him install a new OS... Once everything was finished, restarted, something funny happened, at one start, dvd not working==hdd working, another hdd not working==dvd working... and my friend immediately blamed me for breaking his computer and asked me to put it back as it was bought.... :P i asked him to keep calm, i opened the case checked the jumpers and found that they are set CS for both hdd and dvd, as you would understand CS at certain times can cause ownership problem for master slave ports on ide controller... I fixed them manually to set master and slave... restart, everything working... restart 4-5 times, nothing went haywire... I helped the guy also change his sound card... Later left him alone with his PC again, and never helped him again...

Think of the same situation for your own, if you were asking a friend to install OSX on your PC and brand new hdd went haywire... Who will you blame? :) of course not Seagate... they are god in hdd manufacturing, and dont make mistakes/faulty devices... :) only easy option, your friend who was trying to help you, not aware of the problem... If he doesnt have good knowledge, and experience about this kind of problems, he would be forced to buy you a new hdd... :)

cheers... and peace...

I have 9.2.2 kernel and 9.2.0 system.kext. But if i load the USBMassStorageClass kernel module, USB devices seem to mount.

Should I use the installer anyway and install ONLY system.kext 9.2.2 ??

If you get shutdown/restart/sleep okay with 9.2.2 and you are happy with it, system.kext 9.2.2 is the way to go. Just install that. Otherwise use 9.2.0 kernel + system.kext, which fixes shutdown issues. (I still have it on my 10.5.3)

@Mysticus,

Yea, I have seen that myself as well. I generally help when either the person has a good understanding what I am doing or when he does not know but accept that whatever I do, if something bad happens, the blame could not be put back on me. Otherwise, GeekSquad or Smartdog is for you, my friend!

With regards to Seagate, they generally make quality parts but like any or every company try to sell by not telling the whole truth. Like that AAK firmware issue on many 320GB drives. They were optimized for servers but were sold on consumer market. I had Windoze XP on it and it was painfully slow on it. Figured it has the performance penalty because of AAK. Formatted it and put is as TM backup for Leopard. And after two months, that chirping noise finally made its last sound and left for the heavenly abode! :angel:

Same happens with my Powerbook Seagate drive I installed. Chirping sound all the time. And its getting slow with time. Another 250GB Seagate I have in desktop. It was very good. But recently it also makes some chirping sound. And that is why it irks me that it may die as well. So that is why I am trying WD 640 GB now. I would love to use that VelociRaptor 10,000 but dont have that kind of money right now. I have heard varying opinions with Raptors. Other than random seek, people say WD 640 is on par or easily beats in other aspects.

Just wanted to tell you that finally my USB is working, the 10.5.3 update did the trick!

BIOS update didn't help though - with 10.5.2 everything behaved in the same manner, even after a fresh install.

Thank you for the Combo Update Pack Mysticus!

I still have to load the MassStorage.kext manually, but thats not a big Problem anymore...

Will try Ligon for this and then everything should be allright...

Greetz

Just wanted to tell you that finally my USB is working, the 10.5.3 update did the trick!

BIOS update didn't help though - with 10.5.2 everything behaved in the same manner, even after a fresh install.

Thank you for the Combo Update Pack Mysticus!

I still have to load the MassStorage.kext manually, but thats not a big Problem anymore...

Will try Ligon for this and then everything should be allright...

Greetz

try usb not mounting fix with the "9.2.0 System Kext only option"

it will fix not mounting issue... somehow system.kext couldnt be overwritten, but running usb fix with only 9.2.0 system.kext selected will fix it... no lingon needed trust me...

@Everyone: who uses my update package... ICH series somehow has trouble, so if you have intel chipset, please wait for a while, i know the reason for the problem and solution as well, will fix it, nd then update will be complete with evertyhing... working... also trying to figure out what is causing system.kext replacement to not work.. because kernel is replaced w/o trouble, but system.kext is not... although u can use usb fix in the mean time, i will fix the update package...

things happen sometimes when you work with too many files... :D typo errors are most common...

@Mysticus C

You were right once more... (You're my personal hero for today :) )

Did another fresh Install, updated to 10.5.3 and did the USBFix System.kext only and now everything works fine!

I am confused though that the MassStorage.kext is still not loaded, but it works anyways... Do you know why?

EIDT: JUst found out that my MacBook running Leopard isn't loading this kext, too... So looks like it's not really needed?! Is this kext only a workaround?

Greetz

@Mysticus C

You were right once more... (You're my personal hero for today :P )

Did another fresh Install, updated to 10.5.3 and did the USBFix System.kext only and now everything works fine!

I am confused though that the MassStorage.kext is still not loaded, but it works anyways... Do you know why?

EIDT: JUst found out that my MacBook running Leopard isn't loading this kext, too... So looks like it's not really needed?! Is this kext only a workaround?

Greetz

I mentioned this in my first post that do not worry if you do not see massstoragecontroller kext when you do kextstat in Terminal. It gets invoked moment a USB drive is plugged in. After that if you do kextstat in Terminal, you will see that kext. so do not worry. and its not a workaround. it is absolutely required.

i was gonna say similar things... but explaining why you dont see it...

as i explained in my other topic; kernel is the key element of any OS, and drivers work around kernel, the reason why that driver doesnt show there, is because kernel already has information about those drivers... (via a loaded plugin... which works automatically when kernel synced with system.kext... think of it as PnP is in progress, there is certain information already, when device is plugged, it triggers correct drivers...)

Thanks for your explanation, got it...

Now I have one other issue, my network adapter (Intel PCI Card) only works when I boot with parameters -v -f, otherwise it says

no cable attached. Do you know a solution for this?

Sorry for off topic, but the issue came up after fixing the usb issues.

Thanks in advance!

in the usb fix guide, if you read it, there are extra steps... 8-9-10, deleting the both caches and starting with -v -f... this should solve your problem once for all...

read those parts... and try it, and test it after -v -f, it will loade first time bcoz of -v -f, right? restart and dont use anything and see if it works or not again? this way you will know if it will work 2nd-3rd... times...

good luck...

note to lionext and you...

Some abbreviations: (S: System L:Library E:Extensions C:Caches) this is placed in wrong part... it should be before step 8...

did the extra steps, everytime I updated kexts...

The behaviour is exactly like I explained, whenever I boot normal or just in verbose mode my lan adapter

won't work. Booting in verbose mode I can read some errors, no connection to apple time server, no ethernet card

present...

Everytime I boot with -v -f it is working fine.

Greetz

did the extra steps, everytime I updated kexts...The behaviour is exactly like I explained, whenever I boot normal or just in verbose mode my lan adapterwon't work. Booting in verbose mode I can read some errors, no connection to apple time server, no ethernet cardpresent...Everytime I boot with -v -f it is working fine.Greetz
When you modified IONetworkingFamily.kext (probably AppleYukon2.kext inside its plugins), did you repair permissions. I think you should repair permissions for your whole volume. I may be guessing too much here, but I think you may try deleting the network related plist files (make a backup if you want first). I think they are in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder. Delete those, delete kernel caches (use onyx or cocktail software), delete kext caches and start fresh and see if that helps. Should not be caused by USB issue.
note to lionext and you...Some abbreviations: (S: System L:Library E:Extensions C:Caches) this is placed in wrong part... it should be before step 8...
oh, I moved it earlier since I needed to reference it in the Part B as well. I thought people can not have that short of a short-term memory and if they do, they shouldn't be doing regular business then. ;):D

nothing of the above helped... Fixed all permissions, used Cocktail... no change...

added -f to the com.apple.Boot.plist, that works for now... Boot is slightly slower now, but

thats not a big deal, can live with that...

Thank you all

Greetz

Heads Up Update: I am revising the 10.5.3 update package, for 10.5.3 nvinject, and some fixes related to usb issue as well... i will make 9.2.0 kernel and system.kext installed from the update package (i replaced them) and vanilla stuff as optional... this will ensure correct files will be installed :) also some changes in chipset driver, actually one driver, you may know already, it is ahciport driver aka ICH-X controller driver... I didnt check it properly b4, when i tested it, obviously it didnt work, found the fix, and implementing it as well... there will some cosmetic changes as well, minor... will post the details when it is done...

Update News: 10.5.3 Update Package is revised and being tested now.

+ ICH-X ids has been added to AHCI driver and HDD icon problem is corrected

+ 10.5.3 friendly NVinject Installers (64-128-256-320-512-640-768-1024) has been added to NVIDIA drivers

+ In addition to NVinject installers, GFX Strings for NVIDIA 8600 GTS 256 MB has been added for testing.

+ 9.2.0 Kernel + System.kext will be installed by default. 9.3.0 Vanilla kernel, and system.kext will be an option in Kernel Selections.

+ Some cosmetic changes

Once the test passes. It takes approximeteley 3-3.5 hrs to refresh the Download Buttons... So be patient please...

Update News: Update package passed the initial test. I need volunteers to test the package in their secondary/test partition and report success. Of course any one can volunteer, but make sure you do it on a secondary partition, or if anything goes haywire, you should not have anything to worry about loosing... This is a learning curve, and it may sometimes involves bricking... I hope everything goes smooth...

Here is revised mini guide/info about the 10.5.3 update package v1.1.

(Clue: To play the trumpet click on it) :)

Completed

1) 10.5.3 OSX Combo Update and Fix 10.5.3 are necessary and selected

2) Kernels : By default nothing is selected, however update package will install 9.2.0 Sleep Kernel automatically, and if anyone wants something else, check your desired Kernel Selection, including 9.3.0 Vanilla. Vanilla is not default anymore.

3) Drivers: By default, no audio/video/network selected, but chipset drivers selected, unless you know what you are doing, dont touch chipset selections. Install anything you need.

Special Note to Nvidia VGA Owners: 10.5.3 Nvinject drivers has been added, now you can have QE/CI back on track

4) Patches:

Mac.Pro Named Smbios by Mac.Nub is selected and works quite well, however if you know what you are doing, you can change this setting to any other, but suggest not to touch it.

USB: If you have issue with your High Speed Bus (aka USB 2.0 Controller) you can use this driver. However do not confuse this driver as USB NOT MOUNTING (read frequent problems section above for details of usb not mounting issue) fix. This is totally different. Make sure you understand the difference.

5) Usefull Program: By default none is selected. I recommend all of them.

Candybar: to change/sort your OSX icons.

Colloquy: IRC client

Kernel Installer: Very simple kernel install program for newbies

Kext Helper: Very simple kext (aka driver)l install program for newbies

Perian: Various video/audio codecs for Quicktime. Think of it as multipack codec pack to play majority of the video files, in quicktime without need of any 3rd party apps.

VLC: This is all-in one multi purpose video/audio player. Even if you have perian, this is one of must-haves...

Edit: Addition to gfx and kernel related changes, ICH ids added (except Jmicron ids, sorry) to new driver and hdd icon problem is solved for Intel Chipsets. Credit to Dense and Cyclonefr for pointing these out

Note2: Please make a habit for booting with -v -f and fix permissions using disk utility after you change drivers and/or major updates installed.

EDIT: just a small fix: anyone with ich controller, i made a mistake, i left one script from v1.0 while fixing others...

so after updating to 10.5.3 dont restart, go to root, and find backupahci folder, inside the folder, you will see appleahciport.kext, right click copy or windows key+c, and go to /system/library/extensions/ and paste it (windows key + v) there, after that use disk utility and fix permissions... it should be good to go, RESTART now... i will fix this now and update the package again... until then use the fix i explained... sorry for inconvenience... once fix, you wont need to do this step... will post and update, once everything confirmed again... (just note that everything is working already, this extra step is only for perfection and to reduce manual steps to zero...)