Solving USB problems; USB devices do not mount

LioNEXT

408 posts in this topic

currently i'm on 10.5.3 (kalyway dvd + jas combo update) but my USB still doesn't want to mount. It will mount if i boot up with the USB stick plugged in but that's about it.

Using 9.3.0 kernel + 9.3.0 system.kext. Theses kexts load up:

com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI

com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite

com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass

com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMergeNub

any ideas? cheers or can just use Mysticus C*s USB fix but use the 9.2.0 kernel with 10.5.3 instead?

paul: yes you can try that... it will work without problem, but make sure you choose correct files...

usb mount and usb controller fixes are two different things... usb mount is related to kernel and system kext mismatch, and simple to fix, however usb controller issues totally different and related to mobo's bios, if you have usb devices mounting like you said (when sticked before boot== 100% usb mount issue), do not choose any IOUSBFamily option!, only choose kernel+system kext option (9.2.0 should work just fine...)

marinex: i already told u the answer earlier!!! post#325!!!! you are ignorant? and not able to excuse your ignorance! the guide i said in previous post is for future use, and u ll never brick anything if you understand what i mean... if you still being ignorant about everything, not much i can do about it...

I followed your instructions,.checking kernal against system.kext and they were different,maybe this happened after updating to 10.5.5.So I downloaded the usb installer package and ran it in default(no other boxes checked) as this looked the best selection for me anyway.Performed a restart before steps 8,9,10 and voila my usb drives were now mounting.....superb.

I am a complete noob using this hackintosh system but I am learning things fast.I have used Apple computers for a long time now,so I do now how to search through the system...anyway I am running Leo4Allv4.1 AMD.Thanks for this guide on fixing USB issue

Hola soy david , Hace un tiempo que toy trabajando con este sistema, sin palabras . muy buen foro , y cada ves aprendo mas , en este caso el usb tampoco me andaba , le aplique el parche este , y anda de mil mavillas el pen ,muchas gracias

First, all thanks to LioNEXT and other guys here.

I installed an iDeneb 1.3 on my X61, and USB disks don't mount if they are not connected when booting. I tried all the hacks and tricks given in this topic, but none of them really works for me. But they do give me hint.

I found that in single user mode (typing -s when startup), the flash disks mount perfectly, kexts are automaticly loaded in that mode. So I used kextstat to check out which kexts are loaded during my pluging...and yes, there are SIX, instead of one kexts are loaded to make the flash disks mount: (c=com;a=apple;i=iokit;d=driver)

1. c.a.i.IOUSBHIDDriver

2. c.a.i.IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily

3. c.a.i.IOUSBMassStorageClass

4. c.a.i.IOSCSIBlockCommandsDevice

5. c.a.d.iTunesPhoneDriver

6. c.a.i.SCSITaskUserClient

#1 and #2 will be loaded during the normal setup in my laptop. So I loaded the rest of them (#5 may be not necessary if only use flash disk or USB HD) in terminal and finally my flash disks can mount! :P

And then, by using the same approach I got my iPod mounted~ The needed kext is:

c.a.d.iPodSBCDriver

By using Lingon those naughty kexts are now loaded automaticlly when startup. :D

mka

Nothing new from my side ... Yet another success story.

I followed the 10 steps given with the USB 1.3 pkg installer. It all worked. I didn't skip the steps 8,9 & 10.

Small problem, it doesn't list the name of the USB drive which i connect ! Who cares .. as long as i can read the data in it !!

Thanks LioNEXT, Mysticus C*

- Falcon 47

P.S : I approve what the thread author has stated " For installing Mac OS X and setting it up, all you need to do is go to google, type ur problem add "+ insanelymac ", assured the first hit would be relevant and you will have a solution .. a year ago i never thought i could use a Mac... Right now .. Phew its fantastic !!

Hi, just another newbie...

I have recently installed 10.5.5 (ideneb) and all is working well with USB except for drives... I read the following at the beginning of this topic:

UPDATE (09/28/08):
I just figured that after updating to 10.5.5, I started getting USB drives not mounting problem again. I am still using 9.2.0 kernel and system.kext. It appears that since 10.5.5, the IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext is now not included as a plugin in the IOUSBFamily.kext, but separately in Extensions folder. Somehow with 9.2.0 kernel and system.kext, the kernel never picks up the updated massstorageclass kext. So I went ahead and copied this kext to the plugin folder of IOUSBFamily.kext and corrected the permissions. The USB drives mount fine now with updated USB kexts but older kernel and system.kext. I have not investigated extensively, so there may be some other cause. But if anybody cares, then it solved this for me.

and would like to give it a try but have no real idea how to do it. Could some helpful person give me a step by step method for copying the kext (eg: where is the plugin folder?) and correcting permissions.

Many thanks in advance!

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+

Asus M2N-XE motherboard - onboard Azalia Audio - 2GB Ram

Gigabyte GeForce 8400GS 256MB

Hi there everyone,

I did read a lot off USB solutions on this forum, but none did solve my problem. My USB harddisk is working fine as long as i have USB-legacy disabled. ( I just restored my extensions from the usb harddisk with timemachine, after trying some solution from te forum ) But as soon as i enable USB-legacy the USB harddisk is not recognized at all, and because i have to choose between vista & LEOPARD at boot using a USB-keyboard it would be nice to keep USB-legacy enabled. I use iDeneb 10.5.5

Thanks for any solution

Peter

hi.. guys ... actually i donno were to post ma plea .. since my doubt is regarding a usb modem i m posting it here .....

i have installed mac osx(kalway 10.5.2) on my laptop.... i wanna use my tata indicom usb modem in it .. but the problem is .. the setup file is an exe .. hw can u use my modem is there any other way .. .? coz i have came through certain info while googling about installing and using tata indicom plug to surf modem .. can anyone guide me plz ...

Installation on Mac OS X:1. Insert USB Modem in USB port. After 2-3 minutes, you should see a dialogwhich indicates that the modem has been detected. Click OK.2. Configure using System Preferences. Launch System Preferences and click theNetwork icon. You should see Qualcomm CDMA listed as shown below.

Add following settings.

Leave all other settings at Default or blank. Note that theaccount name and password are hardcoded to “internet”.Name of TabOptionSettingPPPService ProviderTata (anything you want)Account nameinternetPasswordinternetTelephone Number#777TCP/IPConfigure IPv4Using PPPModemModemau CDMA 1x WIN W01K3. Dial. Click Dial Now button and you should see a Internet Connect windowsimilar to the one shown below. The LED on the Modem starts Red, then ablinking Green and then a Static Green. Click Connect and Enjoy

this was the instructions given....

note: this photon modem is available at present only in chennai ... so any chennai guys help me out ...

i m happy if other guys too can help me in this concern...

Hi all.

I have tryed usb_fix_1.3 but no luck. I get kernel panic. If I install driver for any usb device I get kernel panic too. But I use USB keyboard and mouse.

(My problem in detail.)

What could cause this? What could I do wrong?

Mysticus C*, I'll try your version too. I just saw it.

Edit:

Well, I just did try. No luck. It looks like I have problem elsewhere.

This is what I get:

dscf4413-1.jpg

Any tip is welcome.

Hi, just another newbie...

I have recently installed 10.5.5 (ideneb) and all is working well with USB except for drives... I read the following at the beginning of this topic:

UPDATE (09/28/08):
I just figured that after updating to 10.5.5, I started getting USB drives not mounting problem again. I am still using 9.2.0 kernel and system.kext. It appears that since 10.5.5, the IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext is now not included as a plugin in the IOUSBFamily.kext, but separately in Extensions folder. Somehow with 9.2.0 kernel and system.kext, the kernel never picks up the updated massstorageclass kext. So I went ahead and copied this kext to the plugin folder of IOUSBFamily.kext and corrected the permissions. The USB drives mount fine now with updated USB kexts but older kernel and system.kext. I have not investigated extensively, so there may be some other cause. But if anybody cares, then it solved this for me.

and would like to give it a try but have no real idea how to do it. Could some helpful person give me a step by step method for copying the kext (eg: where is the plugin folder?) and correcting permissions.

Many thanks in advance!

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+

Asus M2N-XE motherboard - onboard Azalia Audio - 2GB Ram

Gigabyte GeForce 8400GS 256MB

You will find the PlugIns folder in the kext. Open Finder and navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/ in your Mac OS X drive. Locate the IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext here and copy it. Then locate the IOUSBFamily.kext and right click on it. Select Show Package Contents. Go into Contents and you should find the PlugIns Folder. Paste the IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext here.

Now click on the Spotlight at the top right of your screen and type in Disk Utility. Slect your Mac OS X drive and click repair permissions and once done reboot. See if this helps

Thank you guys for this post.

I've downloaded USB FIX 1.3 and run it on my hackintosh, which is an 1525 Dell Inspiron.

I've installed Kalyway 10.5.2 plus the Combo Update.

I highly recommend "Inspiron 1525 Tutorial",

It worked for me.

http://www.espressoreport.com/83/dell-insp...k-pro-tutorial/

this post allowed me to access USB sticks so far. Although, I still get those yellow error messages.

Thanks again, sorry about my english, Greetings from Venezuela.

• 2 weeks later...
....Although at this stage you can restart, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Steps 8,9,10 that are optional but useful on some unique situations...

Thank you very much for the knowledge and effort (and to those testing before me also).

Installing just the kext did the trick for me. In fact and this should maybe go in the instructions just doing the install meant my USB drive was suddenly mounted. I still did the last steps and restarted just in case but it seems some may get away with just installing.

Anyway. Thank you for providing the help. :(

hey all,

Also have a problem with usb not mounting.

have kalyway 10.5.2 installed, fixed mismatching kernal and system.kext problem with usbfix3.1. Didn't seem to work until i disabled the usb 2.0 controller in my bios. now usb's mount no probs. Just wondering if there is any way to have usb 2.0 controller enabled and still have my usb's mount. USB 1.1 speeds are S**thouse and are peaving me off. cheers

hi,

have been having problems with my firewire

my primary purpose is to Run Final Cut Pro,

although my current system is not able to do that as ever time i start FCC my firewire does not support,

any suggestions ?

i Dont even mind building a new system with better capacity as i will be needing the horse power

thanks a lot

Achyutanand