[Guide + Installer] Leopard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 (10.5.2 + EFI)

~pcwiz

1,128 posts in this topic

I dont know if this helps or not but i before (yesterday) my hack was shutting down ok but today, it is not. i kind of suspect it has something to do with kext conflicting. (recent installed file, DIXV player, ) and Flip4Mac WMV Player .

I have been playing around with previous 10.5.2 before netkas 9.0.2 shutdown fix trying to find a fix and comes to this conclusion. But i might be way off, just a thought.

Edit: I still have the shutdown working osx extension backed up in another disk, if you'd like i can send you any file you want.

edit#2:

I went here and reinstall kernel with OSX86Tools and got everything working again,

Shutdown, restart, sleep, wake from sleep (all external disk auto unmounted) works again...

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I took a baby step and went from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 using this guide by weaksauce12.

Worked 100% for me to update from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3.

I used the combo updater portion of the install tutorial.

I have a Gigabyte EX38-DS4 board and did not need to install the extra Audio and SMBIOS files and installed only the appropriate files for my newer Gigabyte board. Take note on what Gigabyte board you have before using weaksauce12's tutorial and adjust for files needed.

I did install the latest NVinstaller v52 even though my 8800 GT graphics card worked fully in 10.5.2 it was only recognized as "Graphics by nVidia" not as "nVidia GeForce 8800 GT" in 10.5.3. Also uses the EFI string install...so that's excellent.

Now my me.com account works....cool!

Looks like weaksauce12 will have a 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 tutorial out in a few days...so hang tight.

John

Thanks sauria!

Yea I was sweating bullets at times as I didn't want to ruin my perfect system.

sauria you asked a while ago about RAM usage, since I have 8 gigs installed, and if there was any issues with computer freezing with more than 4GB of RAM or max RAM usage.

Well I ran a few tests last week and was able to use 4.88GB of ram with no problems...other than some apps slowing down as the apps were running from one hard drive so I'm sure there were I/O and reading/writing issues. I ran Photoshop with a continuous action while trying to run other apps. I really needed about ten hands to keep all apps active doing something and not just idle.

Photoshop peaked at 2.7GB of RAM usage but was using about 3+GB of scratch disk. I could have turned off scratched disk for more RAM usage but didn't see the point as all the apps were up and running including Lightroom. So I'm fairly confident having 8GB of RAM is worth it. Anyway for the price of the ram ($180.00) it's a no brainer anyway.

Best,

John

Thanks Johnny V! Good to hear that report about the RAM. I have 8G of G.Skill PC-8000 running at 500 MHz, no ATA devices on the system (no JmicronATA) but I don't have Photoshop to test.

I've been a Mac guy for 19 years, so this is the first opportunity with overclocking. I was surprised how a little voltage change can improve stability both with the processor and RAM...even 0.01 volt change can make all the difference. So to answer your question...yes try to nail 1.9 Volts.

I tried to up my RAM voltage but in the BIOS the lowest step is 0.05 which results in my case going from 1.88V to above 1.9V

I tried this nevertheless and the result was that my 10.5.2 wasn't working properly anymore. Even after going back to 1.88V the problems remained.

Luckily i had made an image of the system before so i could replace it no problem.

Still stuck at the memory problem. I'm now seriously considering buying new RAM, anther Brand with other specs.

I tried to up my RAM voltage but in the BIOS the lowest step is 0.05 which results in my case going from 1.88V to above 1.9V

I tried this nevertheless and the result was that my 10.5.2 wasn't working properly anymore. Even after going back to 1.88V the problems remained.

Luckily i had made an image of the system before so i could replace it no problem.

Still stuck at the memory problem. I'm now seriously considering buying new RAM, anther Brand with other specs.

I think we have the same RAM G.Skill PC2-8000? It doesn't perform as well on this board as on my ASUS board but runs at 1000 MHz fine.

I'm running Extreme performance setting and overvolting DDR2 by +0.15V on EP-GA35-DS4 F2 BIOS.

Hi guys got an odd issue. I installed the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD and it work striaght out of the box with my setup, however no PS/2 support (strange in it's self as the ps/2 kboard works fine off the installer disk). So I used the fix in the guides download and now I get a kernel panic at startup.

Do I need to install a kernel with the ps/2 patch or should I be able to use the 9.2 sleep kernel that came with the Kalyway disk?

I'm having to reinstall the OS again as I can't load in safe more or single user mode it crashes at the point

Kernel Version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: .....

I have RAM G.Skill PC2-8000 sticks. I was able to overlock to 3.33GHz. At 3.4GHz and over I have one heck of a time getting it stable. But 3.33GHZ was so dang 'easy' with a low bios voltage of 1.2875V that I'm not sure if it's even worth the extra work going faster.

I think part of the problem OCing past 3.4GHz is just my own inexperience.

force quit,

How are you testing your system? Using Windows or just OS X? Are you using the memory Stepping part of the bios?

I have a separate hard drive for Vista 64 that I do all the overclock testing on, as there's many apps that help with the OCing process. Also I've gotten tons of help at http://www.overclock.net/ Just don't mention you are running a Hackintosh as it's against forum rules.

Best,

John

hey guys!! havent posted here for a while, but decided to let you know that i have updated my system to 10.5.4 with no problems... updated to 10.5.3 using kelyway and his kernel... than downloaded 10.5.4 from apple website and installed it too.. after runned kelys kernel again... booted with no problems...

also had to install nvinstaller v52 to get all support on graphics... sound worked out of the box... the one that was installed with pcwiz package - thanks pcwiz ;) ethernet out of the box, and wireles mouse worked ok

Thanks for giving us the heads up!

>after runned kelys kernel again

Could you explain the above?

Is that running "kalyway_10.5.2_kernels" or "2_kalyway_10.5.3_kernel" after the 10.5.4 combo updater?

Ciao!

ye, i should of clarified that, sorry... but i used 2_kalyway_10.5.3_kernel - the one that came with 10.5.3 combo....

just now finished updating my laptop as well, toshiba satelite a205-s5804 to 10.5.4 with no problems to... using the same method.

Ok, I currently have the P35-DS3R ... Right now my setup is this: F10 Bios, Q6600 3.2 ghz, 4GB Ram, 8800GT.

Currently I have 2x Seagate 320gb sata drives in raid 0 on the JMicron Controller (Purple Sata Ports) that's running Vista.

I have a Maxtor 250gb drive on IDE port running Windows XP.

I have a blank Seagate 250gb sata drive on the ICH9R Controller (Yellow Port). I want to run OS X on this.

Anyways I was wondering what would be the most simple way to triple boot this? Thank you.

Hi, I was wondering if someone might be able to help me...

I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on my P35-DS3R and almost everything worked perfectly straight away.

The only thing I'm having a problem with is the onboard network adapter (Realtek RTL8168/8111 according to Windows).

I've tried using the installer provided by pcwiz, I've tried the Mac driver on Realtek's site, I've tried another driver I got off sourceforge - but nothing works!

Every time I go into the Network area in System Preferences, it shows there's a network device called "en0" but always says that the cable is disconnected. (it's definitely not as I can boot straight into Windows and networking works perfectly).

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Hi, I was wondering if someone might be able to help me...

I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on my P35-DS3R and almost everything worked perfectly straight away.

The only thing I'm having a problem with is the onboard network adapter (Realtek RTL8168/8111 according to Windows).

I've tried using the installer provided by pcwiz, I've tried the Mac driver on Realtek's site, I've tried another driver I got off sourceforge - but nothing works!

Every time I go into the Network area in System Preferences, it shows there's a network device called "en0" but always says that the cable is disconnected. (it's definitely not as I can boot straight into Windows and networking works perfectly).

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Tried the fix here?

http://######.com/blog/