[Guide + Installer] Leopard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 (10.5.2 + EFI)

~pcwiz

1,128 posts in this topic

I too used weaksauce 12's excellent guide to go to from 10.5.2 to 10.5.4 http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=112708. I did the guides 'Procedure' stage 3 and 4 without any problems what so ever. Then installed every update from Apple including the worrying ones like the security update with no ill effects. It just worked 'out of the box'. No audio or video or other problems at all, everything works (apart from front audio ports which never did) straight off without any tweaking and everything is reported correctly. So I have left it at that for now but is there any benefit / increased vanillaishness in installing stage 5? i.e.

AppleSMBIOS.kext (System driver, updated for Memory)

AppleAHCIPort.kext (SATA driver #1 of 2)

IOAHCIFamily.kext (SATA driver #2 of 2)

IOBluetoothFamily.kext (Bluetooth driver #1 of 2)

IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext (Bluetooth driver #2 of 2)

Dual boot XP system using EFI as per guide

GA-P35-DS4 Bios Rev 13.

Intel 8400.

2 Gb ddr2 Ram.

NVIDIA 8800 GT 512.

Sata Optical and Sata Hard Drive.

On board Ethernet and HD sound.

Logitech Bluetooth Elite keyboard and 900 MX mouse (working 100%, amazingly, with no input from me)

I just don't want to break a perfectly good system if there is not even a theoretical benefit. Are these kexts any better?

Regards.

I too used weaksauce 12's excellent guide to go to from 10.5.2 to 10.5.4 http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=112708. I did the guides 'Procedure' stage 3 and 4 without any problems what so ever. Then installed every update from Apple including the worrying ones like the security update with no ill effects. It just worked 'out of the box'. No audio or video or other problems at all, everything works (apart from front audio ports which never did) straight off without any tweaking and everything is reported correctly. So I have left it at that for now but is there any benefit / increased vanillaishness in installing stage 5? i.e.

AppleSMBIOS.kext (System driver, updated for Memory)

AppleAHCIPort.kext (SATA driver #1 of 2)

IOAHCIFamily.kext (SATA driver #2 of 2)

IOBluetoothFamily.kext (Bluetooth driver #1 of 2)

IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext (Bluetooth driver #2 of 2)

Dual boot XP system using EFI as per guide

GA-P35-DS4 Bios Rev 13.

Intel 8400.

2 Gb ddr2 Ram.

NVIDIA 8800 GT 512.

Sata Optical and Sata Hard Drive.

On board Ethernet and HD sound.

Logitech Bluetooth Elite keyboard and 900 MX mouse (working 100%, amazingly, with no input from me)

I just don't want to break a perfectly good system if there is not even a theoretical benefit. Are these kexts any better?

Regards.

Great! Thanks for the info -- I have yet to try this on my 10.5.2. GA-EP35-DS4 with 7950 GT

Hey pcwiz, given that we're on 10.5.4 now, do you still recommend starting a base installation with Kalyway 10.5.1.? I only ask because I decided to do a tear-down of my build to see if weaksauce's guide worked with the EP35-DS3R motherboard. (It didn't work too well, sleep/restart were funky).

Anyway, so I'm going to do a reinstall and follow your guide again (which provided me with great results on my first build-up). However, I didn't know whether to just start with Kalyway 10.5.2, then 10.5.3, then 10.5.4.

I'm not PCWiz but he has been asked this question before and his answer, and I'll concur, was basically follow his guide exactly. Start at the Kalyway 10.5.1 and work your way up. I have Gigagbyte's EX38-DS4, and PCWiz's guide worked perfectly with my mother board...even though it's not really supported.

I should add that the full Kalyway 10.5.2 disk introduced some bugs/problems...another reason not to start with Kalyway 10.5.2

I'm not PCWiz but he has been asked this question before and his answer, and I'll concur, was basically follow his guide exactly. Start at the Kalyway 10.5.1 and work your way up. I have Gigagbyte's EX38-DS4, and PCWiz's guide worked perfectly with my mother board...even though it's not really supported.

I should add that the full Kalyway 10.5.2 disk introduced some bugs/problems...another reason not to start with Kalyway 10.5.2

Sounds good--I'll just follow it to the letter, in that case. One area I wish pcwiz's tutorial had a bit more detail is in the BIOS setup, as I'm kinda unsure I've selected all the proper options.

After messing up a perfectly good Kalyway 10.5.4 installation with a failed Retail install, I began restoring my Kalyway installation using PCWiz's guide.

After getting to 10.5.4, I got a kernel panic. When booting from -v, I noticed HPET=0 or something like that and I'm wondering if that's the source of the panic.

What's the best way to begin diagnosing the problem?

Thanks

I think I've answered my own question. When I installed 10.5.4, I made the mistake of installing the ComboUpdate, not the Update. That installed all of the Apple updates which of course wrote over my Kaly install and crashed my Hack!

Back to kaly 10.5.1!! :P

My new install seems pretty darn good. Sleep/shutdown/restart are working perfectly.

I'm having one strange issue, though: my DVD drive seems to "fall asleep." That is, if it doesn't have any activity for a while, it's like it disconnects itself. If I restart the computer, the BIOS doesn't detect that the drive is there. I have to POWER OFF the computer, then power it on, and the drive is detected. It's a standard Lite-on SATA DVD burner.

Any thoughts? This one has me confuzzled.

> My new install seems pretty darn good. Sleep/shutdown/restart are working perfectly.

Congrats FromMac2Hack!

I've had that too occasionally with my Lite-On sata burner. Only happened a couple of times...usually when I'm upgrading the OS. Seemed when I upgraded to 10.5.4 that odd behavior went away. Are you running 10.5.4? Might want to check the bios settings with PCWiz's recomendations also.

I'm fairly sure the DVD glitch will stop after you upgrade to 10.5.4. as mine did.

When you upgrade via weaksauces guide just be aware of items not to install. You'll probably have less things to worry about than I did since your board is so similar to weaksauce's.

With weaksauce's guide...start at this section: 3. Install the Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo Update:

Guys, the 10.5.4 package for this guide is almost 100% ready :P I've been working hard on it, and I've even made a custom control center app for the package that can install all the drivers and fixes you will need! Hope to have it released soon :D

Guys, the 10.5.4 package for this guide is almost 100% ready ^_^ I've been working hard on it, and I've even made a custom control center app for the package that can install all the drivers and fixes you will need! Hope to have it released soon :)

Looking forward to it. You do some excellent work.

For anyone who has same problem.

Looks like I fixed it. It was 4GB RAM problem. So, I got rid of IDE drives and added "maxmem=4032" string to boot file. Now no crashes. So far. :D

I think there is a fixed (64Bit) .kext around it's included in pcwiz or ls8 Patch pack (I'm at work so i can not verify where it really is).

Guys, the 10.5.4 package for this guide is almost 100% ready ;) I've been working hard on it, and I've even made a custom control center app for the package that can install all the drivers and fixes you will need! Hope to have it released soon :)

Awesome work, pcwiz. I know I wouldn't have a Hack without your guide. Thanks for doing the heavy lifting for us!

Yeah, its almost ready, but I won't have access to my computer for a week so I'll only be able to release it then.

Dude that's great, is there gonna be a guide to update from 5.2 to 5.4 or just a fresh installation guide?