[Guide + Installer] Leopard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 (10.5.2 + EFI)

~pcwiz

1,128 posts in this topic

10.5.4 version of this guide is OUT! With control center app and Chameleon :D

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=121849

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a Leopard version of the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 guide and software install pack. It uses the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD + Kalyway 10.5.2 combo update and its only compatible with Core 2 or Pentium Dual Core (not Pentium D) series processors.

This guide now comes in two versions:

Old Version (Manual Driver Installation)

• 7 page full installation guide for installing Mac OS X 10.5.2 with full hardware and software support, 100% compatibility (Audio, LAN, Sleep, Shutdown, Restart) in DOC and PDF formats
  • ALC889a Audio Drivers for full output/input audio
  • Realtek RTL8111B Ethernet drivers
  • netkas 9.2.0 kernel with shutdown fix
  • Default AppleSMBIOS-27 by macdotnub
  • AppleACPIPlatform PS/2 keyboard and mouse fix
  • Latest ApplePIIXATA driver by Dune

New Version (Easy Automatic Driver Installer)

• 6 page full installation guide for installing Mac OS X 10.5.2 with full hardware and software support, 100% compatibility (Audio, LAN, Sleep, Shutdown, Restart) in DOC and PDF formats
  • Automatic Driver Installer that installs all the kernels and kexts for you automatically!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update warning: Do not install the Time Machine update from Apple Software Update right now, it has not been tested on these boards and the results are unknown. Also do not install the 10.5.3 update, there are many bugs. Just wait for now.

Note about kalyway kernels package: Many people have said that they cannot find the kalyway kernels package that is required by this guide. So for you convenience, here is the link.

Bug in installer: Several people have said that there is a small bug in the installer where after you do a full install of all the drivers, sound still doesn't work. Thankfully, the simple fix is you run the installer a second time, this time ONLY choosing the sound drivers and nothing else.

The new version is recommended since it is the fastest and easiest, however both versions are up for download in case you want to go through the learning process ;

This has been tested and checked thoroughly, includes a BIOS settings template, a couple screenshots and COMPLETE FULL instructions on a walkthrough of the 10.5.1 install and detailed 10.5.2 update instructions. Also includes many side tips that cover everything and make sure that you don't mess up.

This guide works with any Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P and DS3R based motherboard (including P35C, EP35, etc.) This guide should also work for the DS4 model as it has the exact same hardware. I tested it on a DS3P, full specifications in sig.

Download

You can download the new version of this guide (7.89MB) with the easy installer here (RECOMMENDED)

Mirror for new version (with installer)

You can download the REV2 old manual installation version (5.65MB) of this guide here (HARDER)

Mirror for old version (manual install)

If you have any feedback or questions, please post them here :)

iATKOS didn't even boot on my DS3P board.

MatNeh,

The Full Install Guide one uses the BrazilMac DVD, this one uses Kalyway and its much easier.

zarac,

I guess I should have included that...I'll include it in the next revision.

Glad it worked Azzura. :P

REV2 of this guide has been released, which has minor fixes and changes, plus the new PIIXATA driver by Dune and the corresponding instructions as suggested by zarac. Download link updated in first post ;)

Hey, quick question. I just installed Kalyway 10.5.1 (JMicron port, AHCI enabled, MBR), followed by the 10.5.2 Kalyway package and then the Kalyway Kernel update then the Kalyway 10.5.1 virginizer. I did System Update to get everything after that and just recently added the EFI string and got my 8800GT working. So I'm kinda nervous to screw anything up.

Anyways, all my devices are SATA, I'm pretty sure I have vanilla kernel and EFI going because of Kalyway, I have no PS/2 devices, and my Ethernet is working since I'm posting this from Leopard. So that's where I'm at right now. So all I need is the audio driver, right? Can I just extract the audio part and follow the instructions for it, or are those somehow specific and not going to work unless I followed the guide exactly?

Thanks for any help and sorry for the newb question, I'm just a bit anxious to not break anything.

Thank you for the wonderful clear and precise guide. Managed to get Kalyway 10.5.2 working in the shortest possible time that I can remember on any previous installation on my GA-P35-DS3.

Everything working fine except for sound.

The System Profiler for Audio (Built-In) show 'No Built-In Audio' and can only get stereo (2 speakers) to work.

Since the Kernel is not vanilla, its advisable to do on-line update on Apple site?

Any other down sides of using Netkas kernel instead of the vanilla?

Thanks again for your time and excellent package that you put together.

Yeah same thing happens on here, no built in audio in system profiler (that doesn't bother me though) and I've only tested with 2 speakers since I don't have 5.1 ch systems available to me. Here is a guide on how to get 5.1 multichannel working:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87336

The audio settings in System Prefs and keyboard controls are working too. No, its fine to do an update from Apple Software Update even with the netkas kernel as long as it isn't a system update (e.g. 10.5 --> 10.5.1). These updates might require a bit more of a procedure that just using Software Update. No, I don't see any disadvantage with the netkas kernel :(

You are welcome for the package! :D

Wow!!! Thanks for this simple, precise and wonderful guide. I was spending many sleepless nights trying to figure out why my installation would pause for a long period of 2 - 3 minutes after updating to kalyway 10.5.2 I must have done a countless installation with different options trying to figure out the delay. I also could not comprehend when people recommended using netkas' 9.2.0 kernel to fix it. I never read or knew about the kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg process. Now, following your guide, I have a (so far) perfect hack with everything working. I still have to see if dual monitor is working or not. But, that will be yet some other time.

The time I saved by going through your guide, I used to figure out how to get ubuntu into a trilogy. Now, I have a triple boot - XP, OSX and Ubuntu using the windows boot.ini bootloader.

BTW, I loaded up my Kalyway installation DVD and went into Disk Utility and made a backup DVD of my Leopard installation partition. It created a "Leopard.dmg" file of about 2.75 GB. When I booted into Leo, I opened this file and it mounted the file showing 30 GB (the size of my Leo partition). My question is - will I be able to restore this file in case I would have to setup OSX all over again?

Thank you once again.

Great and I'm glad it worked for you! :(

You should be able to restore it, if you want to be ultra safe you might want to try tools like SuperDuper or CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) for OS X or Acronis True Image for Windows.

Hey, would anyone like to help me out with an installer package for this? Then you could just install Kalyway, install the driver package and boom, everythings working. No terminal or anything :)

I've asked ~Neo for help but in the case that he is busy, then maybe if someone else knows how...

:)

~pcwiz

That would be great ! ^_^

I have a small question :

I have one hard drive with XP and another one with Leopard. Both of them are SATA.

I wonder why I don't see the XP one in the Leopard boot loader (when I press any key for the boot options) ?

I would rather prefer to use the mac boot loader but because of this I'm stuck with the chain0 method.

Any ideas? :D

PS : I can see that XP drive in the finder.

The Leopard OS X bootloader will only recognize HFS+ bootable partitions. It won't allow you to boot them. chain0 isn't so bad, you could try Acronis OS Selector. What problems or inconveniences are you experiencing now with the chain0 method?

P.S. I can make the base installer package but I don't know how to write installer scripts and permissions. I guess I should put a note in my signature about this...

Great step-by-step guide!

Flawless install on a P35C-DS3R mobo, Intel 6750 processor, EVGA GeForce 7300 GS video

For my next trick, I'm cloning the HD and placing it in a similar build.

Thank you for an (almost) idiot-proof guide! :(

DWells5,

Try tweaking the audio volume controls and stuff in System Preferences. I'm getting the same quality in OS X and Windows. Try using a different player like maybe VLC. I haven't tested front jacks so if they don't work, I guess they don't work...The drivers I included are the only alc889a solution I found unfortunately.

Michigan,

You're welcome! :)