[Guide + Installer] Leopard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 (10.5.2 + EFI)

~pcwiz

1,128 posts in this topic

FYI -- from one of your linked threads:

Problem found. Currently the only way to fix the 3 GByte RAM limit is to remove jmicronata.kext, deactivate the controller in BIOS and only use S-ATA Devices.

The kext can't handle 64bit numbers.

Does it work for you now?

After loads of reading I finally found out how to switch off the jmicron in the BIOS, thought till this day that it wouldnt work on the Gigabyte. NOw i'm into stress testing, it's looking good so far...

I'll keep you guys informed!

Also i found out that After Effects (in fact: all Adobe CS3 OSX Apps) will only use 3GB max each, hence the confusion. The reason for this is that they're not fully 64bit Apps, (yet):

"Q. Can Adobe’s CS3 applications take advantage of the larger amounts of RAM available

on 64-bit operating systems?

A. Yes they can. All Creative Suite 3 applications are 32-bit programs, which means that they can

address 2 ^ 32 bytes of memory or up to 4 GB of memory. By comparison, 64-bit applications

can address a much wider amount of memory, though they typically face other physical

limitations, such as not having faster access to memory. When you run multiple CS3 applica-

tions on a 64-bit system that has more than 4 GB of RAM installed, each CS3 application can

take its own physical slice of RAM. For example, on a 64-bit system with 8 GB of RAM

installed, graphics-intensive programs like After Effects CS3 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS3

could each take up to 3 GB of RAM, thereby improving your experience. CS3 programs have

been tested and run well on 64-bit operating systems, but keep in mind that they are not

designed to take full advantage of 64-bit systems. For more information, read Adobe engineer

Scott Byer’s blog on this topic at blogs.adobe.com/scottbyer/2006/12/64_bitswhen.html."

..... My G.SKILL Ram is F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ and it's being recommended to be used at a range of 1.8V - 1.9V

.....So you think I should try to push the Voltage to 1.9V?

Yes run RAM at max voltage

Congrats shutting off jmicron and getting your RAM to work. Lightroom is 64 bit enable and as noted Photoshop and most of the suite is 32 bit. On Windows the next upgrade will be 64 bit for Photoshop...but not Mac.

OverClocking and stress testing is interesting and kinda fun but real time consuming. Take lots of notes with every step. As patterns will develop with what works and doesn't. My Q6700 seems to hit a wall at 3.4 Ghz...but can run 3.35 Ghz at low voltage all day. When I have more time I'll post to one of the overclocking forums to help with breaking the 3.4 GHz wall.

force quit: Good are you using Prime95 for OSX? Can you get it to use 8G of RAM in the blended test? Did you remove the JMicron Kext?

After loads of reading I finally found out how to switch off the jmicron in the BIOS, thought till this day that it wouldnt work on the Gigabyte. NOw i'm into stress testing, it's looking good so far...I'll keep you guys informed!Also i found out that After Effects (in fact: all Adobe CS3 OSX Apps) will only use 3GB max each, hence the confusion. The reason for this is that they're not fully 64bit Apps, (yet):"Q. Can Adobe’s CS3 applications take advantage of the larger amounts of RAM available on 64-bit operating systems? A. Yes they can. All Creative Suite 3 applications are 32-bit programs, which means that they can address 2 ^ 32 bytes of memory or up to 4 GB of memory. By comparison, 64-bit applications can address a much wider amount of memory, though they typically face other physical limitations, such as not having faster access to memory. When you run multiple CS3 applica- tions on a 64-bit system that has more than 4 GB of RAM installed, each CS3 application can take its own physical slice of RAM. For example, on a 64-bit system with 8 GB of RAM installed, graphics-intensive programs like After Effects CS3 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 could each take up to 3 GB of RAM, thereby improving your experience. CS3 programs have been tested and run well on 64-bit operating systems, but keep in mind that they are not designed to take full advantage of 64-bit systems. For more information, read Adobe engineer Scott Byer’s blog on this topic at blogs.adobe.com/scottbyer/2006/12/64_bitswhen.html."
Guess that's why my build has no problem with 8 Gigs for RAM. jmicronata.kext is not installed and ATA devices are disabled in BIOS. Only running SATA devices...I've had Lightroom exporting and building 800+ jpegs and tiffs while simultaneously working in Photoshop CS3 with iTunes, Safari and Entourage running...so I think my Mac is utilizing all the RAM.
Glad to hear it JohhnyV -- does it show up in Activity Monitor using nearly 8G of RAM?

Last time I checked Prime95 isn't 64 bit with OS X. I'm running Vista Home Premium 64 for my stress tests as all the ram is tested and all cores.

>Glad to hear it JohnnyV -- does it show up in Activity Monitor using nearly 8G of RAM?

I didn't check it...but I had no slowdown with any of the apps. Next time I'll check it out.

Yes run RAM at max voltage

Congrats shutting off jmicron and getting your RAM to work. Lightroom is 64 bit enable and as noted Photoshop and most of the suite is 32 bit. On Windows the next upgrade will be 64 bit for Photoshop...but not Mac.

OverClocking and stress testing is interesting and kinda fun but real time consuming. Take lots of notes with every step. As patterns will develop with what works and doesn't. My Q6700 seems to hit a wall at 3.4 Ghz...but can run 3.35 Ghz at low voltage all day. When I have more time I'll post to one of the overclocking forums to help with breaking the 3.4 GHz wall.

Yes, overclocking was going to be my next step after the rig would run 100% stable. I checked my RAM voltage in the BIOS and says 1.886V. That's pretty close to 1.9, no? should i stretch it more? How far could i go?

Thanks for everybody's input so far.

Last time I checked Prime95 isn't 64 bit with OS X. I'm running Vista Home Premium 64 for my stress tests as all the ram is tested and all cores.

>Glad to hear it JohnnyV -- does it show up in Activity Monitor using nearly 8G of RAM?

I didn't check it...but I had no slowdown with any of the apps. Next time I'll check it out.

I'd love to hear the result -- thanks!

...I checked my RAM voltage in the BIOS and says 1.886V. That's pretty close to 1.9, no? should i stretch it more? How far could i go?

I've been a Mac guy for 19 years, so this is the first opportunity with overclocking. I was surprised how a little voltage change can improve stability both with the processor and RAM...even 0.01 volt change can make all the difference. So to answer your question...yes try to nail 1.9 Volts.

well i got to say i think i have a perfect running install on a p35 ds4. for those of you who ARE having trouble with usb or firewire here is the fix i found.

Thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95789

DL link: usb fix 1.3.mpkg = <a href="http://rapidshare.com/files/115617132/usb_fix_1.3.mpkg.zip" target="_blank">http://rapidshare.com/files/115617132/usb_fix_1.3.mpkg.zip</a>

for me the

9.2.0 system.kext only that option WORKED!!!

this was with the HDFIX.zip that makes ur internal drives read as internal instead of external.

again please those who already had great luck look over this post i just know there is at least 2-3 people who are having similar problems as i and some may not want to post thier problems in fear of riticule.

also thank you to all that helped and to the great guide pcwiz

So what exactly did you do to fix this problem? I hae suddenly developed the problem where firewire drives don't show and sometimes it won't shutdown. I just updated everything on this new build -- only thing this happened after I changed to a serial keyboard. Changing back to usb didn't help. Did you reinstall the Kaylway 10.5.1? Thank you!

longtom - what exactly did you do to fix it 100%?

Did you JUST install this?

"Processor.prefPane (/Developer/Extras/PrefereancePanes/Processor.prefPane) from Xcode 3.0 installed and it works!!!"

or did you install shutdown fix too? Is this the link to Shutdown Fix?

http://cobranail.googlepages.com/poweroff_fix.zip

Thank you!

Well, I installed CHUD and then the poweroff fix. No go, won't shutdown. Then, I put in the Processor.prefPane. I still have the bug. I did the HDFix next. No change. Odd, this may be due to the extra hardware I've connected -- a dual bay firewire array and a CalDigit (Sil3124) PCI-E 4x card and a 4 x 500G RAID 0 array.

Feedback appreciated!

Well, I installed CHUD and then the poweroff fix. No go, won't shutdown. Then, I put in the Processor.prefPane. I still have the bug. I did the HDFix next. No change. Odd, this may be due to the extra hardware I've connected -- a dual bay firewire array and a CalDigit (Sil3132) PCI-E 4x card and a 4 x 500G RAID 0 array.

Feedback appreciated!

Sorry, doesn't work too.

After appr 10-15min PC booted again!!!

Now i switched off some Wake-Up functions in BIOS, let's see....

Sorry, doesn't work too.

After appr 10-15min PC booted again!!!

Now i switched off some Wake-Up functions in BIOS, let's see....

Okay, thanks. I reinstalled Kalyway according to the guide. But, I didn't install Leopard Graphics update. Shutdown is working. I mounted my external HDs (Firewire & Esata CalDigit Sil 3124) then unmounted them in the OS and turned them off. I was able to shutdown. Perhaps it wouldn't shutdown before becaue Leopard was trying to index the drives? NO CHUD, no suhtdown fix installed this time. So far it works.

Okay, thanks. I reinstalled Kalyway according to the guide. But, I didn't install Leopard Graphics update. Shutdown is working. I mounted my external HDs (Firewire & Esata CalDigit Sil 3124) then unmounted them in the OS and turned them off. I was able to shutdown. Perhaps it wouldn't shutdown before becaue Leopard was trying to index the drives? NO CHUD, no suhtdown fix installed this time. So far it works.

So far, so good.

After switching off all Wake Up features in BIOS it's working (till now :D ).

Hmm, what's this option?

In the BIOS here are my settings under Power Management (BIOS version F2) GA-EP35-DS4

ACPI S1 (Pos)

Soft off -- Instant off

PMEWake - Enabled

Poweron Ring - Enabled

Resume by Alarm Disabled

HPET Support Enabled

HPET Mode 32 bit

P/O Mouse Disabled

P/O Keyboard Disabled

AC Back Soft Off

In the BIOS here are my settings under Power Management (BIOS version F2) GA-EP35-DS4

ACPI S1 (Pos)

Soft off -- Instant off

PMEWake - Enabled

Poweron Ring - Enabled

Resume by Alarm Disabled

HPET Support Enabled

HPET Mode 32 bit

P/O Mouse Disabled

P/O Keyboard Disabled

AC Back Soft Off

I'll check @ home

ACPI S1 (Pos)

Soft off -- Instant off

PMEWake - Enabled

Poweron Ring - Enabled

Resume by Alarm Disabled

HPET Support Enabled

HPET Mode 32 bit

P/O Mouse Disabled

P/O Keyboard Disabled

AC Back Soft Off

Mine:

ACPI S1 (Pos)

Soft off -- 4 seconds

PMEWake - Disabled

Poweron Ring - Disabled

Resume by Alarm Disabled

HPET Support Enabled

HPET Mode 32 bit

P/O Mouse Disabled

P/O Keyboard Disabled

AC Back Memory

Mine:

ACPI S1 (Pos)

Soft off -- 4 seconds

PMEWake - Disabled

Poweron Ring - Disabled

Resume by Alarm Disabled

HPET Support Enabled

HPET Mode 32 bit

P/O Mouse Disabled

P/O Keyboard Disabled

AC Back Memory

Okay, did this solve your shutdown issue?

This, shutdown fix and Processor Pane.

Maybe only Bios setings are enough?!?!

Mine is working now with my more "enabled BIOS settings" and NO shutdown fix or Processor pane installed. I DID do the HDFix. This works as long as I eject external drives and turn them off before shutdown.