[Guide + Installer] Leopard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 (10.5.2 + EFI)

~pcwiz

1,128 posts in this topic

There is a downloadable package of kexts that you can use to fix it, but I don't recommend it since it will overwrite the SATA drivers. Instead, if all you want to do is change the icon, do this:

1) Copy the image you want to use as your icon to the clipboard

2) Right click on the drive >> Get Info

3) Click the current icon for the drive in the top left corner

4) Edit menu >> Paste to paste your new icon on

:(

Kronoid,

It will help people who have IDE drives and don't want to switch, whatever that reason may be.

Anyone have an internal Mac HD icon for this "paste" fix?

Hello All,

Just wanted to give a big THANKS to everyone for their help. Special thanks to PCWIZ, LTL, Donw35, agrafuese, and dublove. No one has helped me personally, but by reviewing this (and a few other) threads, I was able to get a perfectly working Leopard 10.5.3 install on a GA-EP35-DS4 system (see sig.). Shut down is working fine. The only items not working are: Sleep works, but some of my cards (wifi) don't come back from their nap. Restart never 'restarts' but that's why we have a reset switch. :)

Anyway, thanks again for your time and dedication to this forum. You knowledge is both priceless and appreciated. I can only hope to return the favor by helping others as you've helped me.

Cheers! :)

I believe that its hardcoded to read 800MHz no matter what the RAM speed is, so you should be OK :P

Thanks pcwiz -- This is the best distro I've ever used! I'm testing for prime95 stability now and have not updated to BIOS F3.

First of all: BIG BIG thanks to pcwiz for this great guide. I got everything working great so far EXCEPT for the 3GB+ issue.

I got 2x 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800Mhz on my Gigabyte EP35-DS3P Rev 2.1 but I had to remove 2GB because i would get frequent crashes.

I've checked on the JMicron issue and know that it interferes with >2GB RAM. I've tired DuNe's patch: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88335 but it didnt help me at all.

Another issue is that USB/Firewire external drives mount only 100% for sure when I connect them before i boot my system. I found terminal codes on the forum here which will mount the drives (cache issue), is there another way to fix this forever? The RAM issue is more important to me though coz i need the RAM for video editing etc. I was intenting to upgrade to 8GB :(

I see a lot of people here running on 4GB, the question is: DO they even know that it's not fully used eventhough it says 4GB in the System Profiler/ Activity Monitor?

Any help appreciated!

What model G.Skill RAM do you have? Is the Ram under powered?Depending on the specs of your RAM you might be able to increase the voltage for better stability using the bios. Some RAM has a voltage range from 1.8V - 2.0V or more.I'm running 8 Gigs of G.SKILL (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ .... Runs Flawlessly.I'm working on overclocking today...so far the Q6700 is stable at 3.35 GHz. I had to increase the voltage on my RAM to 2.1V to run stable. The RAM specs mention a voltage range from 1.9V to 2.1V.

AM issue is more important to me though coz i need the RAM for video editing etc. I was intenting to upgrade to 8GB :) I see a lot of people here running on 4GB, the question is: DO they even know that it's not fully used eventhough it says 4GB in the System Profiler/ Activity Monitor?
Lightroom and Photoshop see all the RAM on my system...along with Activity Monitor.

I see a lot of people here running on 4GB, the question is: DO they even know that it's not fully used eventhough it says 4GB in the System Profiler/ Activity Monitor?

I'm not sure why you would say that. Leopard is a 64bit OS. It can handle well above 8GB of RAM. My Hacintosh reports its 8GB RAM accurately and it works fine. My work Mac Pro uses 6GB of RAM and is utilizing it without problem. Only a 32bit OS can not use more than 4GB of RAM. That would include XP and the 32bit version of Vista.

?

I'm not sure why you would say that. Leopard is a 64bit OS. It can handle well above 8GB of RAM. My Hacintosh reports its 8GB RAM accurately and it works fine. My work Mac Pro uses 6GB of RAM and is utilizing it without problem. Only a 32bit OS can not use more than 4GB of RAM. That would include XP and the 32bit version of Vista.
Yes, one would think so but as i said: there is a big issue with ICH9 chipset (if you do a search you'll be amazed how many people have the problem).The bad thing about it is that it will show up in the SystemProfiler nor Activity Mon: so unless you are working on RAM-intensive projects, chances are you will never "feel" that your Hackintosh is only using max 3GB. Of course on a "real" Mac you wont have this issue...

?Yes, one would think so but as i said: there is a big issue with ICH9 chipset (if you do a search you'll be amazed how many people have the problem).The bad thing about it is that it wont show up in the SystemProfiler nor Activity Mon: so unless you are working on RAM-intensive projects, chaces are you will never "feel" that your Hackintosh is only using max 3GB. Of course on a "real" Mac you wont have this issue...

Hmm, my 8G shows up -- anyway to test this?

Hmm, my 8G shows up -- anyway to test this?

Hmmm, I don't know if your board uses the ICH9 chipset. If not, then probably it's not an issue for you :wacko:

With mine it shows 4GB aswell but if I use apps that surpass 3GB it crashes / or won't recognize the 4GB. With 4GB my Hackintosh crashes often. With 2GB it runs very stable.

A way to check it would be to create a big (!!!) file in Photoshop for example....

Hmmm, I don't know if your board uses the ICH9 chipset. If not, then probably it's not an issue for you :)

With mine it shows 4GB aswell but if I use apps that surpass 3GB it crashes / or won't recognize the 4GB. With 4GB my Hackintosh crashes often. With 2GB it runs very stable.

A way to check it would be to create a big (!!!) file in Photoshop for example....

GA-EP35-DS4 -- ICH9R. Need to try that -- would activity monitor show usage accurately?

I think that there must be another issue because everything I have shows the memory correctly.Picture%201.pngPicture%202.png
Yes, FREE and total memory shows up at no problem. Now please show me an image of 8GB IN USE! :D I said it before: I shows up nicely but when u actually use anything above 3GB it will crash or won't use it.good example here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=89800or here:http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry650214what i noticed is that there is a big difference between a Hackintosh showing up all the features and components working and actually Hackintoshes that are being used as workhorses out there. This is mainly were see if something really works or not.

:) OOPS, i jsut realised i made a major typo earlier and now I understand why people here didn't get me:earlier i wrote:

...The bad thing about it is that it wont show up in the SystemProfiler nor Activity Mon: so unless you are working on RAM-intensive projects, chances are you will never "feel" that your Hackintosh is only using max 3GB. Of course on a "real" Mac you wont have this issue...
but of course it should have been:
....The bad thing about it is that it will show up in the SystemProfiler or Activity Mon: so unless you are working on RAM-intensive projects, chances are you will never "feel" that your Hackintosh is only using max 3GB. Of course on a "real" Mac you wont have this issue...
ie: The memory DOES show up in Systemprofiler or Activity MonSorry for this big confusion... hope it claryfies the issue. ;) PS: I edited the post correctly now so that others won't get confused either. Doh me.

What model G.Skill RAM do you have? Is the Ram under powered?Depending on the specs of your RAM you might be able to increase the voltage for better stability using the bios. Some RAM has a voltage range from 1.8V - 2.0V or more.I'm running 8 Gigs of G.SKILL (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ .... Runs Flawlessly.I'm working on overclocking today...so far the Q6700 is stable at 3.35 GHz. I had to increase the voltage on my RAM to 2.1V to run stable. The RAM specs mention a voltage range from 1.9V to 2.1V.Lightroom and Photoshop see all the RAM on my system...along with Activity Monitor.

Yes, I was thinking about this too before. My G.SKILL Ram is F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ and it's being recommended to be used at a range of 1.8V - 1.9V

Originally I was going for CL4 but the shop ran out of them and told me it won't matter much. So you think I should try to push the Voltage to 1.9V?

LIke i said: with only 2GB it runs rock-solid. With 4GB i get occasional crashes plus if my apps use more than 3GB I can expect a crash 100%. Loads of other people seem to have this issue too.

Exactly, see, a proper kext installation can work wonders :)

EDIT: Okay, also, I have come to the decision that I will NOT be updating this for 10.5.3. There are just too many problems with it right now, and since 10.5.4 is coming very soon (matter of weeks, pre release version is already out), I will see what I can do then. There are a ton of problems that could appear for all of us, and some that happen for a specific user group:

1) Shutdown and restart lost. There are workarounds but this will possibly be a problem

2) SATA driver. Dune says that its for 10.5.2, not confirmed with 10.5.3 yet

3) Video. 10.5.3 is well known to destroy QE/CI for many

Just not worth it. I will have another look when 10.5.4 comes out.

Hey PCWiz, you are on vocation right now, hope you are having fun there. Anyway, i just wanted to say that whenever you get your hands on 10.5.4 update and need testers, please let me know i will be more than happy to test your future 10.5.4 installation method. :)

What model G.Skill RAM do you have? Is the Ram under powered?Depending on the specs of your RAM you might be able to increase the voltage for better stability using the bios. Some RAM has a voltage range from 1.8V - 2.0V or more.I'm running 8 Gigs of G.SKILL (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ .... Runs Flawlessly.I'm working on overclocking today...so far the Q6700 is stable at 3.35 GHz. I had to increase the voltage on my RAM to 2.1V to run stable. The RAM specs mention a voltage range from 1.9V to 2.1V.Lightroom and Photoshop see all the RAM on my system...along with Activity Monitor.

Hi: I am also 8 Gigs of G.SKILL (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ -- runs great at 1000 MHz @ 2V -- doesn't like 1066 at all - fails prime95 and memtest errors.

Yes, FREE and total memory shows up at no problem. Now please show me an image of 8GB IN USE! :D I said it before: I shows up nicely but when u actually use anything above 3GB it will crash or won't use it.good example here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=89800or here:http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry650214what i noticed is that there is a big difference between a Hackintosh showing up all the features and components working and actually Hackintoshes that are being used as workhorses out there. This is mainly were see if something really works or not.

:) OOPS, i jsut realised i made a major typo earlier and now I understand why people here didn't get me:earlier i wrote:but of course it should have been:ie: The memory DOES show up in Systemprofiler or Activity MonSorry for this big confusion... hope it claryfies the issue. :) PS: I edited the post correctly now so that others won't get confused either. Doh me.

FYI -- from one of your linked threads:

Problem found. Currently the only way to fix the 3 GByte RAM limit is to remove jmicronata.kext, deactivate the controller in BIOS and only use S-ATA Devices.

The kext can't handle 64bit numbers.

Does it work for you now?

FYI -- from one of your linked threads:

Problem found. Currently the only way to fix the 3 GByte RAM limit is to remove jmicronata.kext, deactivate the controller in BIOS and only use S-ATA Devices.

The kext can't handle 64bit numbers.

Guess that's why my build has no problem with 8 Gigs for RAM. jmicronata.kext is not installed and ATA devices are disabled in BIOS. Only running SATA devices...

I've had Lightroom exporting and building 800+ jpegs and tiffs while simultaneously working in Photoshop CS3 with iTunes, Safari and Entourage running...so I think my Mac is utilizing all the RAM.