[Guide + Installer] Leopard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 (10.5.2 + EFI)

~pcwiz

1,128 posts in this topic

I'm not sure I understand Helper b7. Do you still need to run something like NVinject 0.2.1 or other NVinject installer like V4, then edit the NVCAP? If so where does Helper b7 comes in?

Thanks.

Kext Helper b7 just properly installs the kext for you.

Kext Helper b7 just properly installs the kext for you.

Oh, so it just kind of replaces the installer itself? But after installing it with Helper I still have to go in and edit NVCAP?

By the way when should I do that? After fulling installing everything in the guide including the Leopard Graphics update and your installer package or just after updating to 10.5.2 and then re-install the rest (Kernels package, Leopard Graphics update and your installer package)?

Thanks again.

OK, no. There are 2 methods to try

Method 1

* Install the NVinstaller package and you're done

Method 2

* Get the NVIDIA kexts

* Edit the NVCAP

* Install the modified kexts with Kext Helper

You only need to install the kexts with kext helper if you are not using the installer. If you use the NVinstaller you won't have to edit NVCAPS either. You should probably do it after the Leopard Graphics Update.

OK, no. There are 2 methods to try

Method 1

* Install the NVinstaller package and you're done

Well this didn't work at all. I tried V2, V2.1, V4, Punk92, NVkush and none of them worked for my Zotac 8400 GS.

Method 2

* Get the NVIDIA kexts

* Edit the NVCAP

* Install the modified kexts with Kext Helper

Oh, OK, I just tried it but I edited NVCAP after the NVinject was installed.

It's weird with Helper because on path you see where the NVinject Kext is rather than where it should go, which I think is to the extensions folder. Maybe the path is just the origin path and Helper already knows the destination?

In any case I will try doing the way you said.

You only need to install the kexts with kext helper if you are not using the installer. If you use the NVinstaller you won't have to edit NVCAPS either.

I tried the installers I mnentioned above several times, both editing the NVCAP and not and it didn't work. So I hope it will work with Helper.

You should probably do it after the Leopard Graphics Update.

Ok, but before running your drivers and Kernel Installer package?

Thanks.

Oh, OK, I just tried it but I edited NVCAP after the NVinject was installed.

It's weird with Helper because on path you see where the NVinject Kext is rather than where it should go, which I think is to the extensions folder. Maybe the path is just the origin path and Helper already knows the destination?

In any case I will try doing the way you said.

The two NVinject.kext files I've attached to my earlier post have had their NVCAP already edited for your 8400 GS graphics card. All you need to do is install using Kext Helper.

Yes the Kext Helper path is confusing...it just shows where the kext file is at...not where it's going.

Here's the Kext Helper page for instructions:

http://www.cheetha.net/Kext_Helper/Software.html

So basically you download the kext files from my post to the desktop.

Launch Kext Helper.

Drop a kext file in Kext Helper window.

Add Admin Password.

Click "Easy Install" button.

Restart.

Not sure which kext file to choose first. Probably the first one.

Best,

John

YEAH! Finally. After a couple of weeks trying it finally works! I now have the full native resolution (1920x1200) support connected via DVI. Everything is working with my Zotac Nvidia 8400 GS 256MB.

Here's summarizing how I did it, in case other 8400 GS users need to know. I went through the whole guide as PCWIZ recommended. Installed everything in the guide. Then I used the kext Johnny V gave here:

Attached is the 0.2.1 NVInject.kext file for the 8400GS 256MB with the modified NVCAP string of 04000000 00000300 04000000 00000007 00000000 based on the Hardware Compatibility page:

NVinject.kext.zip

and did exactly what Johnny recommended here:

The two NVinject.kext files I've attached to my earlier post have had their NVCAP already edited for your 8400 GS graphics card. All you need to do is install using Kext Helper.

Yes the Kext Helper path is confusing...it just shows where the kext file is at...not where it's going.

Here's the Kext Helper page for instructions:

http://www.cheetha.net/Kext_Helper/Software.html

So basically you download the kext files from my post to the desktop.

Launch Kext Helper.

Drop a kext file in Kext Helper window.

Add Admin Password.

Click "Easy Install" button.

Restart.

Best,

John

installed it using Helper b7 and re-booted. That's it. It works. I tried NVinject installers, Punk92, NVkush and none of them did it for me, but this works great. Thanks PCWIZ for the great guide and thanks Johnny V who has been helping this clueless Windows user for a couple of weeks. Thanks a lot Johnny. I don't think I would have figure it out without you.

Thanks a lot.

Now is to figure how to get my audio to work.

Exactly, see, a proper kext installation can work wonders :D

EDIT: Okay, also, I have come to the decision that I will NOT be updating this for 10.5.3. There are just too many problems with it right now, and since 10.5.4 is coming very soon (matter of weeks, pre release version is already out), I will see what I can do then. There are a ton of problems that could appear for all of us, and some that happen for a specific user group:

1) Shutdown and restart lost. There are workarounds but this will possibly be a problem

2) SATA driver. Dune says that its for 10.5.2, not confirmed with 10.5.3 yet

3) Video. 10.5.3 is well known to destroy QE/CI for many

Just not worth it. I will have another look when 10.5.4 comes out.

anyone here have a fully working ep35 ds4 including usb and firewire? been spending couple of days on this can cant seem to get he firewire working i got the usb with the cache fix.

using netkas speedstep kernel.

msi 8800 gt.

using all 6 gsata ports ahci disk01=vista disk02=macosx with working parallels.

lite on sata dvd rom

4gb ram

q6600 @ 3.4ghz.

as it is firewire is the only thing that wont work properly. is seen in system profile and in network settings but wont connect to anything.

in verbose mode i get ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to to full-secure

only thread that comes close is http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95789

but the two deamon fixes still wont work

Exactly, see, a proper kext installation can work wonders smile.gif

Yep! It took a while but I'm glad it works now.

My audio doesn't though. But I seen to remember reading of somebody saying he used Helper b7 to install a kext to my audio SigmaTel STAC9271D during the time I was researching how to fix my graphics card. I will try searching again. But does anybody know of a kext for my sound? Thanks again guys. This is the last thing I needto fix before I have a "perfect" system.

EDIT: Okay, also, I have come to the decision that I will NOT be updating this for 10.5.3. There are just too many problems with it right now, and since 10.5.4 is coming very soon (matter of weeks, pre release version is already out), I will see what I can do then. There are a ton of problems that could appear for all of us, and some that happen for a specific user group:

1) Shutdown and restart lost. There are workarounds but this will possibly be a problem

2) SATA driver. Dune says that its for 10.5.2, not confirmed with 10.5.3 yet

3) Video. 10.5.3 is well known to destroy QE/CI for many

Just not worth it. I will have another look when 10.5.4 comes out.

I think this is a wise decision. I just got my video working with 10.5.2. I would hate to have it destroyed by 10.5.3 so I would probably not upgrade anyways. Besides what are you supposed to gain with 10.5.3 anyways?

YEAH! Finally. After a couple of weeks trying it finally works! I now have the full native resolution (1920x1200) support connected via DVI. Everything is working with my Zotac Nvidia 8400 GS 256MB.Here's summarizing how I did it, in case other 8400 GS users need to know. I went through the whole guide as PCWIZ recommended. Installed everything in the guide. Then I used the kext Johnny V gave here: and did exactly what Johnny recommended here: installed it using Helper b7 and re-booted. That's it. It works. I tried NVinject installers, Punk92, NVkush and none of them did it for me, but this works great. Thanks PCWIZ for the great guide and thanks Johnny V who has been helping this clueless Windows user for a couple of weeks. Thanks a lot Johnny. I don't think I would have figure it out without you. Thanks a lot.Now is to figure how to get my audio to work.

Way Cool! :D You are welcome Kronoid! Glad to have helped out.

I'm just beginning to understand this stuff myself, so it was a good learning experience for me.

I've found for newly installed kext files to work properly, the files need more than just modifying/replacing and restarting as there are certain file ownerships and permissions that need to be changed either by an installer or via the Terminal.

I'd rather use installers any day of the week! Looks like PCWIZ has been busy with his OSx86 Tools Utility software. Has a Kext installer too!

My audio doesn't though. But I seen to remember reading of somebody saying he used Helper b7 to install a kext to my audio SigmaTel STAC9271D during the time I was researching how to fix my graphics card. ...

This might help...not sure if this is for 10.4 or 10.5 http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859#

Way Cool! :blink: You are welcome Kronoid! Glad to have helped out.

I'm just beginning to understand this stuff myself, so it was a good learning experience for me.

I've found for newly installed kext files to work properly, the files need more than just modifying/replacing and restarting as there are certain file ownerships and permissions that need to be changed either by an installer or via the Terminal.

I'd rather use installers any day of the week! Looks like PCWIZ has been busy with his OSx86 Tools Utility software. Has a Kext installer too!

This might help...not sure if this is for 10.4 or 10.5 http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859#

Saved me again Johnny. My audio works now. At least stereo output. I have audio in my headphones. Haven't tested input yet and Final Cut Pro tells me 5.1 is not working. Although I'm not even sure the SigmaTel STAC9271D supports 5.1 or anything above stereo. I will try to find out as I may need 5.1 support. Otherwise I think I could just install a dedicated audio card right? But then I will probably have to hunt for a driver/kext again. :angel:

I had ctually tried that patch before and it didn't work. But that was before I discovered Kext Helper. This is such a handy application. Thanks again Johnny.

Saved me again Johnny. My audio works now. At least stereo output. I have audio in my headphones. Haven't tested input yet and Final Cut Pro tells me 5.1 is not working. Although I'm not even sure the SigmaTel STAC9271D supports 5.1 or anything above stereo. I will try to find out as I may need 5.1 support. Otherwise I think I could just install a dedicated audio card right? But then I will probably have to hunt for a driver/kext again. :P

I had actually tried that patch before and it didn't work. But that was before I discovered Kext Helper. This is such a handy application. Thanks again Johnny.

Geez...I'm going to send you a bill!

Only joking!

In my limited search for SigmaTel STAC9271D support, it seems like it's a bear to get going.

Have no idea about an audio 5.1 card...maybe a USB/Firewire alternative?

OK everyone, I have tested and confirmed 100% compatibility of this configuration with Chameleon 1.0.11. For those who don't know what Chameleon is, it is another fake EFI implementation like PC_EFI, except that Chameleon is more open, and has better features. More info on exactly why Chameleon is better than PC_EFI here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=779564

And you know what this means for us Gigabyte P35 users? We now have full support for booting from JMicron IDE DVD drives with Chameleon! zef, developer of Chameleon has released 2 PPF patches for Kalyway 10.5.2 and Leo4Allv3 that will allow booting from IDE DVD drives. The patches can be found here. I know that Leo4All and Kalyway 10.5.2 are not used in this guide, but still, I will incorporate a section on installing Chameleon with OSX86Tools (my app) in the next release of this guide pack. Go Chameleon!

Official site of Chameleon at: http://chameleon [DOT] osx86 [DOT] hu

well i got to say i think i have a perfect running install on a p35 ds4. for those of you who ARE having trouble with usb or firewire here is the fix i found.

Thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95789

DL link: usb fix 1.3.mpkg = <a href="http://rapidshare.com/files/115617132/usb_fix_1.3.mpkg.zip" target="_blank">http://rapidshare.com/files/115617132/usb_fix_1.3.mpkg.zip</a>

for me the

9.2.0 system.kext only that option WORKED!!!

this was with the HDFIX.zip that makes ur internal drives read as internal instead of external.

again please those who already had great luck look over this post i just know there is at least 2-3 people who are having similar problems as i and some may not want to post thier problems in fear of riticule.

also thank you to all that helped and to the great guide pcwiz

OK everyone, I have tested and confirmed 100% compatibility of this configuration with Chameleon 1.0.11. For those who don't know what Chameleon is, it is another fake EFI implementation like PC_EFI, except that Chameleon is more open, and has better features. More info on exactly why Chameleon is better than PC_EFI here:http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=779564And you know what this means for us Gigabyte P35 users? We now have full support for booting from JMicron IDE DVD drives with Chameleon! zef, developer of Chameleon has released 2 PPF patches for Kalyway 10.5.2 and Leo4Allv3 that will allow booting from IDE DVD drives. The patches can be found here. I know that Leo4All and Kalyway 10.5.2 are not used in this guide, but still, I will incorporate a section on installing Chameleon with OSX86Tools (my app) in the next release of this guide pack. Go Chameleon!Official site of Chameleon at: http://chameleon [DOT] osx86 [DOT] hu
Interesting. But I don't understand the need for IDE drives. SATA is just as available and just as good. Or it's just for poeple who already have IDE drives and don't want to buy new ones? For the record my machine works great. USB and firewire works without a problem.
Geez...I'm going to send you a bill!Only joking!In my limited search for SigmaTel STAC9271D support, it seems like it's a bear to get going.Have no idea about an audio 5.1 card...maybe a USB/Firewire alternative?
Hehehe. You really saved the day Johnny.For now I think I'm happy with stereo. If I ever need more I think I will just buy a sound card. It will probably be easier. Cheers!

Hi ~pcwiz,

Thanks for the guide it's very easy to follow.

I am having a bit of trouble though. Initially I could not get the kalyway dvd to boot using the internal sata dvdrw drive but I got it working using an external usb dvd drive. Followed the guide and everything seems to go OK. When I restart I get the apple and spinning circle then the screen goes grey and just sits there, it will not boot.

Can anyone suggest anything I can do? I have reinstalled a number of times now and I have changed the order of the drives on the sata ports (I only have a DVD drive and a HD at the moment and these are on the two seperate yellow sata ports) but nothing is working.

My specs are as follows:

Mobo: GA-P35-DS4

CPU: CORE 2 DUO E8400

Video: RADEON HD 2600XT

HD: WD5000AAKS

DVD: PIONEER DVR-215

RAM: 4GB OCZ

Right I got it working by changing the graphics card to a 7600gt as it just would not boot into OSX with the 2600XT installed. It's up an running now and the 7600 is an OK card so I am not that bothered.

Everything seems fine so far I just need to do the updates and install some software.

Silly question but how do I change the icon of my hard drive? It's currently an orange (firewire?) icon.

Stu

Right I got it working by changing the graphics card to a 7600gt as it just would not boot into OSX with the 2600XT installed. It's up an running now and the 7600 is an OK card so I am not that bothered.

Everything seems fine so far I just need to do the updates and install some software.

Silly question but how do I change the icon of my hard drive? It's currently an orange (firewire?) icon.

Stu

There is a downloadable package of kexts that you can use to fix it, but I don't recommend it since it will overwrite the SATA drivers. Instead, if all you want to do is change the icon, do this:

1) Copy the image you want to use as your icon to the clipboard

2) Right click on the drive >> Get Info

3) Click the current icon for the drive in the top left corner

4) Edit menu >> Paste to paste your new icon on

:)

Kronoid,

It will help people who have IDE drives and don't want to switch, whatever that reason may be.

Anyone has their DVD-ROM not functioning sometimes because "Put HD to sleep where possible" in the Energy Saver is enabled?

I've just disabled Power Saver all together. I don't want my computer drifting off into sleep when it sometimes doesn't come back :thumbsdown_anim:

I got my entire setup working using ~pcwiz's guide and Johnny V's suggestions regarding the 8800gt 512 drivers. Everything as far as I can tell so far is working 100%. Thanks for the great guide and knowledge sharing!!! ;) Now on to the installation of some programs to see how everything else works out.

Was also hoping someone could help me sort out dual booting with Vista x64. First, I installed Vista first on the hard drive hooked up to SATA port 0. Next, I installed OS X on the hard drive on SATA port 1. When restarting, Vista will load up as normal. If I switch the cables around and place teh OS X drive in SATA Port 0, the boot loader appears (at least it looks like a boot loader), but Vista is not an option -- only OS X. If i continue to load, OS X loads up and is perfectly fine. Could someone point me to a guide using Darwin Boot Loader that will boot off separate drives for each OS? Everything I found talks using Darwin boot loader and switching OS's on different partitions on the same physical drive. If Darwin boot loader does not work, could someone provide some suggestions? I saw something about Vista boot-loader but it seems people were having issues with it messing up their OS X install.

Thanks in advance!