LS8v17 # Mac OS X 10.5.7 # GA-P35-DS4 # GA-EP45-DQ6

LS8

1,296 posts in this topic

You don't use BootCamp on a hackintosh. Did you mean something else?

Well, i meant to ask if it is possible to dual boot a hackintosh by first setting up using EFI and then going into BootCamp and creating the partition and installing windows (like you would on a regular mac)...this would be a much more convenient way of dual booting than the other methods. Its understandable if this is not possible...

First, i'd like to thank ls8 for the hard work, it is much appreciated.

Everything is working so far.

I have noticed, that waking up from sleep is approximately 50% faster when i set the Intel SATA Ports to AHCI. Anyone else notice that behavior?

Hi,

I'm going to build from scratch a new homebrew mac (to replace my old Dual G5 PowerMAC) following this magnific community...

as I told in the Audio forum I'm interested to GA-p35-ds4 mainboard and decided to ask your opinion in this forum

as it is a very complete source of infos for this MB.

I'd buy the GA-P35-DS4 sided with a Sapphire Ati HD 2600 PRO (512mb) graphic board.

After all the tweaks Will I obtain a rock solid machine with this config? Could I compare the new machine with my old G5 as stability and usability (don't mind if internal sound is or not digital or so, I will use an external OSX compatible soundcard)? How does USB and firewire port behave?

Every suggestion is happly accepted :-)

THANKS for the support...

...After all the tweaks Will I obtain a rock solid machine with this config?...

Definitely. GA-P35-DS4 is probably the best MoBo for Hackintosh today. All Mac compatible peripherals and USB devices work for me with great performance and stability.

I can only confirm that. The P35-DS4 works great and is very stable so far. Haven't had a crash although I'm overclocking the system. I do have crashes in Preview.app (and only there) which I suppose is due to my (beta) graphics drivers. Everything else is working fine - including extensive use of Lightroom, Photoshop and Fusion (all fullscreen) on separate Spaces and memory maxed out. Several hours of gaming (Prey at full res / max detail) works fine as well.

I'd call it stable.

hello everyone. I am trying to get Leopard working on my PC. I did get it installed, but there was no sound or network connection. I tried to reinstall and then I got the dreaded HFS + partition error.

So I am going to install again. But I selected the driver for graphics and the only selection for sound drivers. I'm a novice when it comes to Terminal. I can get around a Cisco router and Putty. So I hope if someone can see what I am trying to do may be able to help.

See the pictures attached. I am sure there are patches that can be loaded. Would they work on my thumb drive? Or since it's formatted for a PC that it won't be visibile?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

post-175560-1202427307_thumb.jpgpost-175560-1202427292_thumb.jpg

Thanks mates,

so I would go safe with this solution...

Two more things:

I heard about a shutdown problem. What does it mean? Is there a solution for this?

Then, I also heard about a SATA DVD player is needed to run flawlessy Leo installation... Do you suggest me a SATA DVD

or an ordinary IDE one?

Thanks.

g

Thanks mates,

so I would go safe with this solution...

Two more things:

I heard about a shutdown problem. What does it mean? Is there a solution for this?

Then, I also heard about a SATA DVD player is needed to run flawlessy Leo installation... Do you suggest me a SATA DVD

or an ordinary IDE one?

Thanks.

g

Shutdown problem

Basically it is working but only the case, CPU fan still running after the os shutdown.

Just press the power button to totally shut your machine.

SATA DVD

It is said that some Pioneer IDE DVD player may have a driver conflict,

It is safer to get a sata rom.

How do you get your processor to display in about this mac? Mine's showing as 'unknown'

I have the e6850(3ghz) and it was showing as unknown. In BIOS, i discovered that the multiplier had not been set correctly, so it was underclocked(2.6ghz). After setting the multiplier in BIOS to x9 (i think), the CPU showed up correctly in "About this Mac".

Excuse me... a last thing :-)

About PCI/PCIe devices... are they behaving regularly on this setup (obviously with related osx drivers)?

Yes. My wifi PCI card works perfect.

{censored}! Help!

So my install was working great - but recently I kept getting panics all the time.

I decided to start over.

Did the method as shown here on my other installed drive (from the "crashy" install onto another drive.)

Rebooted - it booted intothe old install, so I booted from a Klayway DVD and wiped the old install.

Now I get the com.apple.boot.plist error, and it won't boot.

Tried a clean install from Kaly, figuring I'd use it to get a "vanilla" setup using the method we have posted here.

Still no boot.

Tried GUID and MBR on both drives (Kalyway install) just so I can get SOMETHING running so I can use the install pack method to set up a clean vanilla install on another drive.

When I tried messing with active partitions, I got a hang at "Verifying DMI pool data" on bootup.

That was scary....

Rebooted and was able to get the Kalyway DVD booted.. on 4th install attempt right now. This time trying MBR again...

What's going on here?

I had a great setup with a retail DVD/ EFI install - but now I can't get ANYTHING installed...

HELP!?!

What's going on here?

I had a great setup with a retail DVD/ EFI install - but now I can't get ANYTHING installed...

Assuming you've not missed anything, like owners enabling your drive... I think Gigabyte is what's going on. One thing to try: erase your CMOS and set it up again. I am having similar issues since updating to F11, and at the moment I have had to put everything back to stock just to boot up :unsure:

wiped cmos - got it to boot once and install a Kalyway disk, but now I'm stuck at "verifying DMI pool data".

tried f11 bios same thing.

This board is pissing me off like nothing I've ever encountered.

I'm seriously thinking about ripping it out and putting my bad axe 2 board back in.

I lost an entire day on a system that was fine yesterday, I just wanted a reinstall. Unbelievable.

10.5.2 GM is out (but not yet available in software update) I tried today to upgrade 10.5.1, and I came as far as getting it to run. But I encountered kernel panics while transfering user. I guess we need new drivers for 10.5.2.

Update: On first try i was installing clean on a different HD 10.5.1 and then 10.5.2. And i was running into some problems.

On second try this afternoon, i cloned my working 10.5.1 Kalyway Installation to another volume, updated with 10.5.2, reapplied the patch provided here to the installation and rebootet. So far, it started. No graphic problems or other stuff so far - but then again, i didn't work much with the system yet.

So, in principal, update to 10.5.2 is possible, and with two HDs relatively hasslefree.

Cheers,

Professor

Update: Photoshop has a software failure on first launch, then kernel panic. After restart its ok. Resizing of volumes doesn't work (it did before), Kernel Panic too. Luckily the failure can get repaired through disk utility. Further Updates in the pipe.

There is a problem with kernel panics in different apps after a certain amount of time me thinks. For instance, i tried to burn a disk with toast, it crashes always at the same point, kernel panic. Toast was the only program running. I had such problems with 10.5.1 too, but i thought i got them resolved with the right bios settings. Under 10.5.1 i had kernel panics, whenever timemachine was doing a backup, the only program running, and somewhat in the first third of the backup process. After setting up BIOS of my P35 DS4, eleminating thermal settings, this seems to be resolved under 10.5.1, but not under 10.5.2.

O.K. After some testing i found a BIOS setting for the GA P35 DS4 F11 which is still not without kernel panics, but much better. I used this guide:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83689, but modyfing it a bit, i didn't overclock the CPU as much. The important thing, which reduces kernel panics is Enable CPU Host Clock Control and set a fixed CPU Host Frequency. I have choosen the default 266. And the CPU Clock Ratio to 8 (which was the default when i got the PC). So my CPU Speed is 2,13 GHz.

I would be very welcome, if someone could give me a hint how to further optimize this, for further reducing of kernel panics, and to exclude that we need new drivers for 10.5.2!!!

Thanks for any help

Kernel panics are also very often due to RAM overclock, or improper voltages.

Your Q6600 should run 333x9 @ Stock Votage (1.2xxx). If you don't want to overclock it, set it to 266x9 (2.4Ghz) it's initial certified frequency

As for the RAM, if you have 800Mhz RAM, try to set the SPD to 2.5 (around 833Mhz) and to set the voltage to 2.0v or 2.1v (around +0.30v) with your RAM certified timings (5-5-5-15 on most configurations).

if you have CAS4 RAM, you can try to set it to 1Ghz with CAS5 timings, it works in most cases.

Manual configuration of the RAM if better if you know what you are doing.

I have no Kernel panic with my configuration, which is close to yours

Thanks for your info. I finally managed to install Leopard like it is proposed in this thread, without kaly. Original DVD and the patches found here. Now my configuration runs at 2,4GHz 266*9 without any further RAM settings. And i have to say, it runs stable so far. I've been opening and closing key apps, running them all at the same time, like the whole Adobe palette of software. Its ok so far. What i want to try is burning disks and a time machine backup without kernel panic, like it did with the Kalyway installation. I will try your advise, if i'm sure, that my system is stable now. Thats the most important for me - no more kernel panics every now and then.

Thanks again for your reply.

Professor

I'll gladly do so. Please find the files attached!

Keep up the great work!

Babafritz

Edit: added ready-to-go com.apple.Boot.plist - just strip the extra extensions.

This string also works with my G33M-DS2R motherboard and Asus 8600GT card. The driver pack is also compatible with my setup ;)