LS8v17 # Mac OS X 10.5.7 # GA-P35-DS4 # GA-EP45-DQ6

LS8

1,296 posts in this topic

I have the Kalyway disc, however I used LS8's method of installing from the retail leopard disc, but first I had to install Kalyway on another hard drive. The reason being is that I don't have another Intel Mac. So here's a summary of what I did:

Prepared a HFS+ formatted USB stick, and placed LS8's LEO-P35-DS4 pack on it (did this on my Mac Mini G4).

Plugged in two hard drives (a 320Gb for my main install and a spare 8Gb drive) and the USB stick to the hackintosh.

Booted the Kalyway DVD and launched terminal.

Partitioned both drives GUID with 1 HFS+ partition on each.

Installed EFI on both drives.

Installed Kalyway on the 8Gb disk.

Rebooted into newly installed Kalyway on the 8Gb.

Opened terminal and then followed LS8's procedure to install retail Leopard onto the 320Gb drive (open OSInstall.mpkg).

Ran the post patching script to copy the correct kexts.

Unmounted the 320Gb drive 'diskutil unmountdisk diskX'

Repatched the bootsector with the boot0 file (you know the "dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1" line)

Removed the leopard DVD and rebooted the system.

There is probably a better way I could have done it, and it's not for me to say if Kalyway is 'pure/clean' or not, but I wanted to have my setup as vanilla as possible for obvious reasons, so I chose this way to go about it. The plus point is that I have a leopard install on a spare hard drive, which will make it easy if I screw something up later, and need to reinstall.

I have 100% stability once I figured out that the JMicron.kext was causing BSODs once memory usage went above 3.5gb... If you don't need anything on the JMicron/Gigabye SATA/IDE ports and you have 4Gb ram (or more) then don't install this patched kext.

BTW - I have the P35-DS3R board, but it's the same board for the reasons of this install.

I'm using the GA-P35-DQ6 with ICH9R with PC EFI v8. Will these kexts fix the issues I'm having with my Hackintosh? The DVD burner loses its bus and I can't eject the disk after a while. I couldn't get an optical drive to work until I tried a pata to sata converter or a sata drive - but the problems persist.

I tried to just install all of your kexts using Kext Helper b7, and I could no longer boot from that partition. I'm trying to create 4 boot partitions on 2 disks to allow me to experiment, but I only see the original 2 partitions on the first disk in the F8 boot option. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Installation using the retail Leo. Originally all I added was dsmos, nvinject, and PC_EFIv8.

LAN: RTL8111B only shows 10base T, not even 10/100. The audio is Realtek ALC889A codec. The IDE connector uses the Gigabyte SATA2 chip - I imagine thats why it wont work, but not sure.

Hi everyone, great work! I've got mine working using ls8's fantastic pre and post patch, v4. I managed to use the Apple Leopard Upgrade DVD that came with my Mac mini (bought just after the launch of Leopard, so it had Tiger on it with a Leopard Upgrade disk) rather than a Retail DVD.

One question not related specifically to my install: I'm using a GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0 with BIOS version F7. If I try and update the BIOS (I've tried F9, F10 and F11), the CPU fan control gives up and sets the fan speed to maximum. At 3000 rpm my Zalmann cooler is noisy! And it was running at 1400 rpm under F7. Nothing I change in the BIOS settings seems to effect this behaviour.

So the quiestion is, what version of the BIOS are you guys who are using a Rev 2.0 board, and does yours exhibit the same problem? And does it make any difference if I do upgrade the BIOS to my Leopard install?

Hmm, might just be the way I applied the BIOS update. I used the Gigabyte Windows tool @BIOS because I didn't have a floppy handy, or a floppy drive attached to put one in! This is the response from Gigabyte tech support, which I haven't yet tried out:

After BIOS update did you set the "Load Optimised Default" in the main BIOS.

Alternately update the latest BIOS F11 with QFlash Utility. After flashing please set the "Load Optimised Default"in the main BIOS.

Is there any advantage of having the later BIOS? Does it fix or break anything?

Is there any advantage of having the later BIOS? Does it fix or break anything?

Yeah the last but one bios has a serious bug in it, something to do with memory stability. If you want an EASY upgrade, then put the bios file on a USB thumb drive or hard drive, and when the machine boots select the Flash Bios option. You won't need to boot from the USB stick, the BIOS will just read the stick and upgrade the BIOS for you. That's what I did, and it worked fine.

Hi all,

thank you very much foor your efforts.

I installed Kalyway at first which was quite unstable. The I made a Mac-Brazil-Install, which was way better - I didn't like the method though.

Then I found your install method and everything's just great!

213 XBench's on a GF6600!!! I had about 180 using Brazil's. GFX-strings work like a charm. I finally got an unfu**ed, rock-stable, powerful Mac!

Thanks a lot dudes!

Jan

Yeah the last but one bios has a serious bug in it, something to do with memory stability. If you want an EASY upgrade, then put the bios file on a USB thumb drive or hard drive, and when the machine boots select the Flash Bios option. You won't need to boot from the USB stick, the BIOS will just read the stick and upgrade the BIOS for you. That's what I did, and it worked fine.

Ah yes, forgot that I could install off a USB stick. I'll give it a go. Looking at the Gigabyte BIOS page, (Gigabyte BIOS page) looks like F9 was dodgy, and I'm not sure what they've put in F11, but when I restarted XP with it installed, it saw a new PCI device but couldn't find drivers for it. Super I/O code? What the hell is that?!

...I'm not sure what they've put in F11, but when I restarted XP with it installed, it saw a new PCI device but couldn't find drivers for it. Super I/O code? What the hell is that?!

Lol - who knows... Anything on the Gigabyte support page about it?

Have you got anything else in your Mac? How about putting your specs in your signature? I think it can be really helpful to get perspective on the situation.

Nice post but i really dont get it. Do i need 2 hackintoshes for this? (or one hackintosh and one mac?) I wanna build my hackintosh (only one i got) is it possible to do this then? Will Time Machine work with this? (graphical). Will sleep work with a 8800GT and P35-DS4 2.0 ?

I would appreciate a nice explication.

Thx

-Nitra

Guest prljavibluzer

Use only F7 bios with this motherboard! Newer versions have several issues and Gigabyte is informed about that!

I managed to get sleep,reboot and shutdown working on my p35-ds4. :) Kalyway 10.5.1

I am using S3 suspend type in bios and changed instant off to 4 second delay. Works like a charm.

I was looking forward to installing OSX via this method to get a 3-way boot going (Windows on Part. 1, Mac OS X on Part. 2, Linux on Part. 3), but got the following error:

You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. To enable installation on this volume open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu and repartition this disk as 'GUID Partition Table'.

Note: you will lose all data on this disk by repartitioning it.

Kind of a bummer. Going to go ahead and make a backup of my Windows stuff and see if I can't remake the MBR partitions from Mac OS X. Not sure how XP is going to like the EFI stuff w/o Boot Camp.

Update:

Nuking and recreating the 3 100GB partitions with Disk Utility still resulted in the same error message. I don't it's possible for me to use this install pack from my MBP. Here is the pre-patch.sh script as modified:

sudo vsdbutil -a /Volumes/LEOPARD

sudo diskutil umount /dev/disk2s2

cd pc_efi_v80/

sudo ./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk2s2 ./boot_v8

I am trying all day now to install the same way Coda did (post #127). But every time I do the retail install, my kalyway installation freezes! I tried several times now, and it always hangs or prompts me to restart my computer. Any ideas what I am doing wrong here?

Are both of your Hard Disks and DVD drive on a SATA connection? If you have enough space on the hard disk after Kalyway is installed, see if you can install from a Mounted Image of the retail disk, rather than the disk itself (Use diskutility to image the retail DVD, and then mount it). If I remember correctly I had the retail disk install freeze a couple times too, and I solved it with the Disk Image way. I had special circumstances because I had one SATA-PATA convertor, two PATA disks, and one PATA DVD writer. I ended up mounting the hard disk that leopard was being installed to, on the USB Bus with an adapter.

I ended up mounting the hard disk that leopard was being installed to, on the USB Bus with an adapter.

Rats. That's the way everybody seems to be doing it but I do not have a USB adapter. I will try the image method.

It's all purely SATA here.

<edit>Nope, installing from the image doesn't change a thing: validating some speech files the box freezes. ;)</edit>

Rats. That's the way everybody seems to be doing it but I do not have a USB adapter. I will try the image method.

It's all purely SATA here.

<edit>Nope, installing from the image doesn't change a thing: validating some speech files the box freezes. :(</edit>

Bad luck. There has got to be a solution to this, it just has to be found. You have plugged all SATA devices onto the ORANGE ports, and NOT the PURPLE ones?

BTW what are the settings in the BIOS? Specifically virtualization, and SATA modes for the intel (orange ports) and jmicron (purple ports) controllers?

recognized as 2,13GHz unknown (for now?)

If you look in the BIOS it will probably say multiplier is 8x. Set it to 9x. It won't make a difference to the speed (CPU is multiplier locked anyway), but it will be reported correctly. Mine was set to 7x so it was reported at 1.87Ghz. I thought I had a serious problem at first! :-)

Since there is a lot of us who own P35-DS4, wouldn't be nice from you who have everything working ok to write step-by-step guide for Kalyway 10.5.1 ? From BIOS settings to what to select in installation and post installation stuff because I am troubled with several issues.

Thanks in advance.

I have done this and it's posted on here, 600 plus views yet not a single reply....

I have done this and it's posted on here, 600 plus views yet not a single reply....

Maybe cos 1. It's hard to find (you could link to it in your signature?) or 2. It's so perfect that nobody had a problem with it :P (although it doesn't excuse people from saying 'thanks')

Since there is a lot of us who own P35-DS4, wouldn't be nice from you who have everything working ok to write step-by-step guide for Kalyway 10.5.1 ? From BIOS settings to what to select in installation and post installation stuff because I am troubled with several issues.

Thanks in advance.

Also, this thread is about installing on the DS4 using the Retail DVD, NOT a patched DVD installer. I have a Mac, so didn't need to use a hack/patched installer. Even if we were using a hacked install, it may be others aside from Kalway. So the people on this thread may not even have the information you're looking for.

Bad luck. There has got to be a solution to this, it just has to be found.

Thanks a lot, Coda, for bearing with me. It's late now and there is a lot of university waiting for me just a few hours away, but you gave me things to try tomorrow evening ;)

Maybe once that vanilla_EFI install is up and running I can get my other problem to slowly vanish...

Well. I ended up installing all packages manually. The system froze again, but at least now I knew what was already installed and what was not. Now - vanilla boots fine, but since I never set up an account, this install ist useless; I get a grey desktop and a mouse pointer (exact resolution though).

Now how can I tell my manual vanilla install to run the First Run Wizard (or whatever it may be called)?

booting with -x -v flags doesn't change anything. I found this article on macosxhints, but it only covers a rerun, not a way to force a manual OS X install to run the initial setup.

<Edit>It's done! Full vanilla|GUID|EFI install</edit>