LS8v17 # Mac OS X 10.5.7 # GA-P35-DS4 # GA-EP45-DQ6

LS8

1,296 posts in this topic

I didn't try shutdown for a while, but not it also seems to work fine, even after wake from sleep. I tried sleep-wake three times in a row, then shut down and it works! I will do further tests tonight, but so far it seems that F11 BIOS fixes the shutdown issue :(

BIOS settings: Sleep mode: S3, Power off: 4s delayed, HPET mode 32bit

I tested shutdown again, again and again - it works, works and works !!!

BIOS settings: Sleep mode: S3, Power off: 4s delayed, HPET mode 32bit

I updated my DS3R to F11, and shutdown still seems a little inconsistent. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. I have tried all combinations of Power off: Delayed and Instant, HPET 64 and 32bit. I can't pin it down yet to what exactly is preventing this from working every time.

Going semi OT here but have you guys experienced erm any reboot cycles or the bios loosing it's overclocking settings? Apparently it's quite an issue with this board and I've already had it happen a few times. An F12 bios is coming soon which may help.

I have the exact same problem. I RMA's rev.2, and have 2.1. Apparently, some motherboards do not update BIOS correctly. I heard that replacing the actual BIOS chip fixes the problem. For that, you will have to return it to GA. Mine works well with F7, but with F11, all sorts of problems. Especially, when i change DDR2 voltage to anything other than stock 1.8V, it won't wake up from sleep. It keeps turning on and off with short fan spin.

I am waiting for a replacement board from Newegg, so will see if the next one fixes the issue. It seems that Gigabyte BIOS is very sensitive to any changes. Once I boot into OSX or Windows, it's rock solid.

Wish I had bought Abit IP35 Pro. :D

the gfx string for 7300gt 256mb silent on ga-p35 should be this: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,80...844.html#msg844

further info: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,55.0.html

Thanks, I'll check it out, however apart from the fact that you alluded to NVInject causing my shutdown problem, what else (if any) benefit is there?

I have the exact same problem. I RMA's rev.2, and have 2.1. Apparently, some motherboards do not update BIOS correctly. I heard that replacing the actual BIOS chip fixes the problem. For that, you will have to return it to GA. Mine works well with F7, but with F11, all sorts of problems. Especially, when i change DDR2 voltage to anything other than stock 1.8V, it won't wake up from sleep. It keeps turning on and off with short fan spin.

I am waiting for a replacement board from Newegg, so will see if the next one fixes the issue. It seems that Gigabyte BIOS is very sensitive to any changes. Once I boot into OSX or Windows, it's rock solid.

Wish I had bought Abit IP35 Pro. :D

Ah yes yes, this is what happens to me! Tried to explain earlier in the thread but not very well. Does not matter if I overclock the board or not, some times i switch it on and it powers on for like 3 seconds then off, then on & off continuously like that. Doesn't even get to the bios screen.

For what I have read most of the new gigabyte boards have this problem!

i did it! Based on the readings here and at netkas.org I bought myself a Hackintosh system! Following ls8's guide I installed from Leopard Retail DVD. After manually adding 10.5.2 drivers for my 8600GT I'm up and running.

The system is humming along quite nicely and as far as I've tested everything works as expected. I've been running mprime stress test since a couple of hours 'cuz I overclocked my E6750 to 3.2Ghz. At 1.25Vcore the temp barely goes above 57°C and the system is stable even under heavy load and maxed out memory (wifi file transfer, EyeTV watching, Handbrake h.264 encode, mprime, Photoshop w/ 800MB CMYK file, iTunes listening w/ visuals. Nice!

By the way: Geekbench2 clocks just over 4200 :-) I like it. Did I mention that the system is quiet?

Details of system:

Install method: GUID partitioning, EFI v8 install, Leopard Retail DVD

Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS4 rev2 BIOS F11, AHCI enabled

CPU: Intel Core2Duo 2.67Ghz E6750, overclocked to 3.2Ghz (8x400), CPU 1.25V, FSB +0.05V

RAM: 4x Corsair 1GB DDR2-800 Cl4, kept at 800Mhz

HD: Hitachi 250GB SATAII

DVD: LG GSA-H66N, Disc burning natively supported

GFX: Asus 8600GT 256MB Silent, EFI string, QE/CI/All resolutions working

SFX: onboard, EFI string, stereo only

LAN: onboard (EFI string for Time Machine, occasional glitches, Realtek driver)

Wifi: Asus WL-138g v2 (reported out of the box as Airport)

Case: Antec P180 w/ be quiet Straight Power 450W

Also working: Sleep (instantaneous), Reboot, Shutdown (sometimes), front Panel (USB, Headphone, Firewire). Software Update routine for 10.5.1 and Security Update worked w/o problems. I used the Migration Assistant to move data over from my MacBook.

Many thanks to all the great people involved in this!

Babafritz

I want create new version of GA-P35-DS4 install pack, with prepared EFI strings for different graphics. Please upload your working EFI strings (only complete: graphics, sound, network-TimeMachine) and I will add it to future version. Thanks!

I'll gladly do so. Please find the files attached!

Keep up the great work!

Babafritz

Thank you Babafritz. Could you please rather post finalized com.apple.Boot.plist so people can directly use it? Thanks again!

Thanks to verendus also, your string works for me, as we have exactly same HW configuration :)

2nd post and first question .....

First my system is very stable so far.

Shutdown

-> works ! I am using the F11 Bios on the G35-PS4 and so far so good

Restart

-> Works BUT that was not the case after the install. It took me a while to get this one correct. Once I rebuilt the kext cache then it worked. LS8 you may want to add the following command in your bash script so this is done as well :

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Sleep

-> It works from the perspective that it goes to sleep and wakes up almost instantly BUT when the system wakes up my system fonts and icons are all blurry/pixelized. I have an EVGA 7600GT 256Mb and I am using the GFX String (with sound patch string as well). The Card shows correctly in the System Profiler. So I have no idea what it could be. Here is the kext I have deleted :

AppleEFIRuntime.kext

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

And the one I have added/replaced

dsmos.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

IOAHCIFamily.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

RealtekR1000.kext

AppleHDA.kext

JMicronATA.kext

AppleACPIPlatform

I have generated (GFXUtil) my own string for the 7600GT as well as copied some existing ones for this Card and no differences. So I am wondering where is can come from :)

I am wondering if I need to do anything on the com.apple.Boot.plist (I have repair the permission but do I need to recompiled/refresh any cache like I did for the kext ?)

Thanks,

Geoff.

----------------------------------

For information here are my Bios settings (F11) in detail (Might be good to put also BIOS settings in the Install Pack?) :

Standard CMOS Features --------------------------------------

> IDE Chanel 0 Master [None]

> IDE Chanel 0 Slave [None]

> IDE Chanel 1 Master [None]

> IDE Chanel 0 Slave [None]

Drive A [1.44M, 3.5"]

Floppy 3 Mode Support [Disabled]

Halt On [All, But Keyboard]

Base Memory 640K

Extended Memory 2046M

Total Memory 2048M

-------------------------------------------------------------

Advanced BIOS Features --------------------------------------

> Hard Disk Boot Priority [Press Enter]

|- 1. SCSI-0 : My HD

|- 2. Bootable Add-in Cards

First Boot Device [Hard Disk]

Second Boot Device [uSB FDD]

Third Boot Device [CDROM]

Password Check [setup]

HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability [Enabled]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3 [Disabled]

No-Execute Memory Protect [Enabled]

CPU Enhancement Halt (C1E) [Disabled]

CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) [Disabled]

CPU EIST Function [Disabled]

Virtualization Technology [Enabled]

Full Screen LOGO Show [Enabled]

Init Display First [PCI]

Integrated Peripherals --------------------------------------

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode [AHCI]

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode [Enabled]

USB Controller [Enabled]

USB 2.0 Controller [Enabled]

USB Keyboard Support [Enabled]

USB Mouse Support [Enabled]

Legacy USB Storage Detect [Enabled]

Azalia Codec [Auto]

Onboard H/W 1394 [Enabled]

Onboard H/W LAN [Enabled]

SMART LAN [Press Enter]

Onboard LAN Boot ROM [Disabled]

Onboard SATA/IDE Device [Enabled]

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode [AHCI]

Virtualization Technology [Disabled]

Onboard Serial Port [Disabled]

Onboard Parallel Por [Disabled]

X Parallel Port Mode SPP

Power Management Setup --------------------------------------

ACPI Suspend Type [s3(STR)]

Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN [Delay 4 Sec.]

PME Event Wake Up [Enabled]

Power On By Ring [Enabled]

Resume by Alarm [Disabled]

X Date(of Month) Alarm Everyday

X Time(hh:mm:ss) Alarm 0 : 0 : 0

HPET Support [Enabled]

HPET Mode [32-bit mode]

Power On By Mouse [Disabled]

Power On By Keyboard [Disabled]

X KB Power ON Password Enter

AC Back Function [soft-Off]

PnP/PCI Configurations --------------------------------------

PCI1 IRQ Assignment [Auto]

PCI2 IRQ Assignment [Auto]

PC Health Status --------------------------------------------

Reset Case Open Status [Disabled]

Case Opened Yes

Vcore 1.332V

DDR18V 1.888V

+3.3V 3.264V

+12V 12.239V

Current System Temperature XXºC

Current CPU Temperature XXºC

Current CPU FAN Speed XXXX RPM

Current SYSTWM FAN2 Speed XXXX RPM

Current POWER FAN Speed XXXX RPM

Current SYSTWM FAN1 Speed XXXX RPM

CPU Warning Temperature [Disabled]

CPU FAN Fail Warning [Disabled]

SYSTEM FAN2 Fail Warning [Disabled]

POWER FAN Fail Warning [Disabled]

SYSTEM FAN1 Fail Warning [Disabled]

CPU Smart FAN Control [Enabled]

CPU Smart FAN Mode [Auto]

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.) ------------------------------

Robust Graphics Booster [Auto]

CPU Clock Ratio [8 X]

CPU Frequency 2.66GHz(333x8)

CPU Host Clock Control [Disabled]

X CPU Host Frequency(Mhz) 266

PCI Express Frequency(Mhz) [Auto]

C.I.A.2 [Disabled]

Performance Enhance [standard]

System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [Auto]

Memory Frequency(Mhz) 800 800

DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) [Auto]

********* Standard Timing Control *********

X CAS Latency TIme 5 Auto

X DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 5 Auto

X DRAM RAS# Precharge 5 Auto

X Precharge delay(tRAS) 18 Auto

X ACT to ACT Delay(tRRD) 3 Auto

X Rank Write To READ Delay 3 Auto

X Write To Precharge Delay 6 Auto

X Refresh to ACT Delay 42 Auto

X Read to Precharge Delay 3 Auto

X Static tRead Value 7 Auto

X Static tRead Phase Adjust 29 Auto

System Voltage Control [Auto]

X DDR2 OverVoltage Control Normal

X PCI-E OverVoltage Control Normal

X FSB OverVoltage Control Normal

X (G)MCH OverVoltage Control Normal

X Loadline Calibration Auto

X CPU Voltage Control Normal

X Normal CPU Vcore 1.35000V

Geoff, congrats and thanks for info. Extensions.mkext is deleted by the script and it is re-generated on reboot.

Edit: shutdown doesn't work with BIOS F11 and GFX+SND+LAN EFI string. I had to revert back to ALCInject and patched IONetworkingFamily, shutdown works again :(

CPU Enhancement Halt (C1E) [Disabled]

CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) [Disabled]

CPU EIST Function [Disabled]

Virtualization Technology [Enabled]

I'd be interested to know what these do exactly, and how they affect an OSX system. I have had these 4 settings (along with HPET and STR) set both enabled and disabled, and shutdown is still not 100%.

For me so far Shutdown has been working with my prior post BIOS settings and F11. One thing I noticed prior to upgrade the BIOS to F11 is that I had better chance to have a successful Shutdown when I closed manually all the open apps. I kept that habit so maybe it is related. I'll try without closing the apps and we'll see.

Other than that,rReally my problem is the wake up from sleep and the fact that graphic display is horrible. I am going to try to generate the GFX string without the sound.

=> I'll keep you posted.

Maybe I am going slightly OT, but can someone post their voltages to get my Q6600 stable at 400MHz x 8? So far I did not have the guts to just try it out, though whenever I oc'ed (2.88GHz), the Temperature never got over 52˚ Celsius... There must be some on this thread with this CPU. Thx a lot!

You shouldn't have any problem hitting 3.2GHz using 400x8. What is your stepping and VID? If you have G0, give about 0.5V above your VID. For example, I have G0 stepping, VID=1.2875V Q6600. Currently, my system is Prime95 stable for 12hours at 1.325V. I also added +0.1 for FSB and MCH voltage, but it might not be necessary.

You might also have a better stability and slight increase in performance if you use 9x356MHz. 400MHz is the boot strap frequency for the motherboard and can put a lot of stress on the board. You can either use 399Mhz or 401Mhz.

Let me know how your overclock turns out. Finding a sweet spot for your system is where the fun begins.

You shouldn't have any problem hitting 3.2GHz using 400x8. What is your stepping and VID? If you have G0, give about 0.5V above your VID. For example, I have G0 stepping, VID=1.2875V Q6600. Currently, my system is Prime95 stable for 12hours at 1.325V. I also added +0.1 for FSB and MCH voltage, but it might not be necessary.

You might also have a better stability and slight increase in performance if you use 9x356MHz. 400MHz is the boot strap frequency for the motherboard and can put a lot of stress on the board. You can either use 399Mhz or 401Mhz.

Let me know how your overclock turns out. Finding a sweet spot for your system is where the fun begins.

Well, where can I find the stepping? I bought a G0 but it doesn't say so on the CPU, maybe the dealer ripped me off? The bootscreen prints "Batch: 00B6", is that where G0 should be?

Taking your settings I was able to boot once before the mainboard reverted the settings to failsave by itself. Now the older Q6600 steppings are said to be much more difficult to overclock...

Thx - you're probably not going to believe that, but I only have OS X installed on this machine. XP in Parallels, but that won't work with CPU-Z, right?

If you bought the retail box Q6600 on the barcode you will see SLACR somewhere. If you see this, it's G0. But I guess you are gonna tell me you bought an OEM CPU right? There's probably a code on the top of the CPU that can identify it, but I don't know what it is, and I don't wanna take my HSF off to have a look, sorry. Not unless I have to. I'm running my overclock on the stock intel HSF, so I will probably change to another better one next week at which point I can take a photo for you...

If you bought the retail box Q6600 on the barcode you will see SLACR somewhere.

Alright, I remember that this was printed on top of it. So it is a G0 and I am plain out of luck ocing it. Or I am doing something wrong: At the moment I am trying to oc by setting the CPU to 356x9, increase the voltage of the CPU to 1.325V and add +0.1V to FSB/PCIe/MCH Voltage and change the DRAM multiplier to something at least vaguely in the area of 800MHz (356x2.5=890). But it won't even boot into OS X. Maybe the RAM was too cheap? Its A-DATA Vitesta DIMM Kit 4096MB PC2-6400U CL5 (DDR2-800) @ Dual Channel Interleaved; I payed 120€ for the whole 8GB. Others report it to be running at 1:1 (3.2GHz) without increasing the voltage.

<edit>The BIOS displays a "Normal CPU Vcore" of 1.31250V, can this be correct?</edit>

man

realy needing helpi can't get this to work

if some one could upload all the kexts for patching the f u c k i n g Mobo i

've tryed this pack with the original leo dvd and no luck

i'm realy a noob please helpooohhhh

this are my spcs

GA-P35-DS4 F11

C2D E65502Gb ram 667MHz

1*IDE drive 160GB (vista)

1*S-ata drive 250GB (for leo formated as MBR for booting tiger on another machine)

1*Ide dvd-+Rw drive

EN8600GT 256Ram

i cant download any leo dvds because is to slow (i need 3weeks)

ppppppllllleeeeeaaaassseeee :) hhhheeeelllppppp

and bios config just teel me

i realy need this to work i'm about to change to my old tiger on a SSE2 machine realy getting :blush:

with this