Guide+Support; to installing EFI v8+ dual booting(Pics)

i_am...me

454 posts in this topic

I've seen this queston posted on a couple of threads and even once in this thread - but nobody ever answers it - and I'm blocked completely by it. Can anyone help?

I have successfully installed the BrazilMac Leo (10.5) on an ASUS P5W DH after partitioning/formatting the drive as GUID. I then followed the steps for patching the EFI using boot_v8 without any errors. When I ask it to reboot it simply returns the message that the ...BOOT.plist cannot be found. I have only rec'd this message if I partition GUID. If I partition MBR and use the BrazilMac post patch script it works fine but if I update to 10.5.1 then I have to impose the 10.5.0 kernel after updating to get it to work. I want to use the EFI patch so I don't have to worry about future updates from Apple hosing the kernel.

What have I missed here? Every post I read says the same thing and I never receive any errors during patching yet it never seems to work - I MUST be missing something?

Thanks guys - the work you have been doing on this is AMAZING!!

ok lets see if i remember this right ... if you are trying it off the DVD, at some point you have to hit F8 ( when you get that message I think) and select the correct drive.

something like that

i can't quite remember but i got it before and it was because it was trying to boot off some random partition, not the partition with leopard installed. so, you have to tell darwin to use the right one.

hope that helps

After four days of research, reading, testing, more research, experimenting, more reading and banging my head against a brick wall - FINALLY - it works!

Using this guide and the recent update with the scripts and efi pack I have got my Hackintosh working.

Here's my hardware specs;

Asus P5W DH Mobo *

Core2Duo E4500 (2.2Ghz, 2Mb Cache)

2 Gb DDR2 6400 RAM

SATA HDD (Seagate 250GB)

SATA DVD-ROM

XFX GeForce 7300 GT 512Mb **

* Mobo needed various BIOS settings changed;

IDE Configuration set to AHCI

JMicron SATA/PATA set to Disabled

No Execute set to Enabled

ACPI 2.0 Support set to Yes

ACPI APIC Support set to Enabled

SpeedStep set to Disabled

Memory Remap Feature set to Enabled

** Graphics card needed flashing (see http://nvinject.free.fr/512Mb.html), once OSX was installed and booting I then installed NVinject.pkg, selected the option for 512MB card, rebooted and presto full resolution with CI/QE.

For the record, I installed on a fresh machine with a blank hard drive and a BrazilMac patched original (i.e. bought) retail Leopard install DVD.

Steps I took;

1. Made the BrazilMac DVD on my MacBook Pro (http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?...p;sk=t&sd=a)

2. Copied patches from this post onto a USB stick, edited the patch scripts to reflect my paths and volume names

3. Booted off DVD, pressed F8 and entered -v -x (would not boot otherwise)

4. Loaded Disk Utility & partitioned drive as a single volume with GUID partition table

5. Unmounted formatted partition, quit Disk Utility and opened Terminal

6. Popped in USB stick with EFI & patches, and ran the EFI.sh script

7. Rebooted without DVD to test EFI took OK (should see the plist not found msg)

8. Rebooted with DVD (-v -x again)

9. Followed normal installation process remembering to deselect all optional packages (Language, X11 etc.)

10. At end of the install clicked to Restart and booted off DVD again (-v -x again too)

11. Opened Terminal, popped in USB stick with EFI & patches and ran postpatch.sh - chose to remove EFIRunTime and PowerManagement kext's

12. Reboot without DVD - joy, can see the Welcome movie! Went through the usual account creation stuff ...

13. Install NVinject package selecting correct memory size for my graphics card

14. Reboot and voila!

15. Had a beer :-)

Thank you so much i_am...me for this guide and the new scripts - very much appreciated :-)

Just a quick edit to note that I have successfuly upgraded to 10.5.1 after following these instructions from bbrrii ; http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2938 - have since rebooted with the mach_kernel from the 10.5.1 update and all works fine - so now using vanilla kernel too :-)

** Graphics card needed flashing (see http://nvinject.free.fr/512Mb.html), once OSX was installed and booting I then installed NVinject.pkg, selected the option for 512MB card, rebooted and presto full resolution with CI/QE.

For the record, I installed on a fresh machine with a blank hard drive and a BrazilMac patched original (i.e. bought) retail Leopard install DVD.

flashed your card! christ!! i just drooped $620 on 8800 gtx, i'm not risking it for loepard. anyone here know it leopard will play nice with my card?

C2D 6600 | CPU

Freezer Pro | Air cooling

P5K Dlx | Mainboard

Corsair Ballistix Tracer | PC2 8500

XFX 8800GTX | Video

X-Fi ExtremeGamer | Audio

WD5000AAKS x 4 | Storage

WD3600 x 2 | Storage

WD1600 | Boot Drive

2407WFP x2 | Display(s)

SUCCESSSSSS!!!! after two weeks of trying...i finally got it going....

however this is what i had to do...

the installation with brazilmac patched dvd and the script in this guide took me as far as the setup screen then it would loop over and over again...

i got a external HDD enclosure for my laptop HDD which had tiger installed in it with a bunch of applications in it...

i transferred tiger to leopard on the setup screen and it worked and or when thru to Leopard...

i will try the time machine after work today...it was about 4am when i got to work...i had no time...

everything seems to work...i will back it up before trying to upgrade to 10.5.1 tonight...

the ToH dvd did not work at all, i tried every which way and nothing...

to run the patches make sure to place all the folders needed for patching out side the folder then come in...or it won't patch correctly...

i will get a premium account in one of the "load accounts" tonight and post the brazilmac patched dvd...email me at my insanely username_at_gmail_com (<-- if you don't get this right then you don't deserve the dvd iso) for a link to it...

when you use it don't install anyting other then the main program...in other words unchecked all that can be uncheck..

thanks to "i am...me" for this guide...

i read a post where someone wanted to pay to get this done...i can only imagine missing the satisfaction of finally getting it working after trying for days and in my case weeks... :rolleyes::rolleyes::(:wacko::dance_24:

I need some help with this error. I used ToH DVD RC2 to install Leopard after I followed your guide.

post-91657-1197303514_thumb.jpg

Read through the thread, i explained kernel panics and how to know what they are.

See where it says backtrace?

(ex. ... loadable modules with backtrace

com.apple.drive.AppleEFIRuntime)

That means that the AppleEFIRuntime.kext (driver) is making the kernel panic. so delete it

When I start-up I get the message telling me to restart each time no matter what. I booted into verbose mode and I got this and it just hangs there with this..

post-10098-1197218576_thumb.jpg

What can I do to successfully boot and avoid this?

Can anybody be of assistance? =)

says something about: Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components;

use only one style.

mbinit: done

Security auditing service present

BSM auditing present

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.0.0

I can attach photos of the screen if need be.

says something about: Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components;

use only one style.

mbinit: done

Security auditing service present

BSM auditing present

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.0.0

I can attach photos of the screen if need be.

you seriously just dotted out ("...") the most important part

look for a kernel panic. read what it tells you, see what is causing it. if you can't figure it out, post the pic.

ok used the postpatch script.

it doesn't seem to panic now but it gets stuck with video. problems with x3100 perhaps..?

so i loaded with "Graphics"="1024x768x32" to see if I could get basic resolution.

worked.

but now it's asking me to register and move over an account or create a new one...can't create new one, it just goes back to the beginning asking me to select a language.

I've read about this issue before -- and I didn't have Tiger installed first because I reformatted for the GUID partition.

So I didn't have a user account - but I do have a Mac at work, perhaps I can use firewire to transfer that account...

Any thoughts? Thanks.

-- edit ---

I got it booted finally...took a bunch of tries.

specified in the startup -x -v "Graphics"="1024x768x32@60" (edit again: actually, it only seems to work once in a while like this, gotta restart over and over til it works)

and it worked... i'm assuming there's issues with my intel 965 / x3100 video card.

i saw drivers for it but can't find them now on the forums. burried under 50 million posts.

i swear once i get this setup i'm gonna setup some sort of page that just has a list of stuff. finding files is nearly impossible on here. i don't think a million replies under guides and important info is necessarily bad - i just think burring links to file somewhere in the middle of those million replies is bad. should be at the top of the order/new thread.

anyway. any ideas?

is it some kexts i can get and update?

i had to create a new user on a real mac and use firewire to transfer it to get past the annoying setup screen.

edit: changed some things, appears to boot to just a blue blank screen now - i'm assuming thats on external display. have to hook it up to external monitor to test.

still though i'm curious why sometimes it doesn't load all the way. and i always have to boot -x -v (at least i think, maybe it's just randomly not loading all the way)

ok and now the screen went black after it was blue for quite some time. computer still running...i don't know...

So I wrote a unified post-patch script that does it all... This works with BrazilMac and ToH 10.5 install disks.

It's a solid script and should be used as a basis for all to follow.

It installs the vanilla or toh kernel (your choice)

It installs vanilla kexts that toh and brazilmac change (or not, your choice)

It installs all kexts in a sub folder (or not, your choice, folder contains core kexts in rar)

It sets the screen res and timeout in com.apple.Boot.plist (or not, your choice)

It installs EFI v8, and sets partition as bootable (or not, your choice)

Enjoy:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=75974

-dan.

In installed ToH before i saw this guide and now installed EFI v8. I have an MBR partition scheme. Do I need to reinstall with a GUID scheme? I have a 400GB drive with 100GB for Leopard. Can I go ahead and install Linux and Windows in the remaining 300GB...how will it affect the EFI? Do I need a new bootloader?

Hi all

Ok i have installed TOH RC2 straight from the disk using method 2.

Manged to get the EFI.sh script installed on my drive ok. After Full reboot of the installed OS X where and when do i install the postpast.sh .. and what bits do i edit no to sure as there different from the EFI.sh my main drive where i installed osx is called "osx" disk id "disk0s1" the pen drive i used was called "HAGGIS" disk id "disk6s1"

Sorry for sounding stupid just trying to get my head around all this

1 more thing should i have installed the script from the TOH dvd that installs the Darwin boot loader ?????

Hello I am...me !

Thank you very much for your post script.

I have a running 10.5.1 System on an Asus P5WDH Deluxe+Sapphire 1950 XT+Intel Q6600 Quad cpu (brazilmac-vanilla kernel-pc_efi_v8, guid partition)

Before I ran the script the sytem wasn´t very stable.In "About this mac" there were no platform informations, cpu rate was not shown correctly.

Than I ran the script, now I have MacPro, "About this Mac" and System Profiler shows everything in the right way, only one thing is missing..,

the Q6600 Quad core is displayed as unknown cpu. Do you have an idea how I could fix this ? Is it a small problem, than I could leave it as it is, or can I have a problem with 64 bit mode ?

And I have a question: Did you patch the mach_kernel too, or have I still the vanilla kernel ? I booted today with the vanilla kernel and it works fine.

The the Activity monitor recognizes all 4 cores, I tried Logic studio yesterday and the program runs very fast..Thanks to all that helped me to make it possible..

I would like to help others in the comunity too, if I can

Greetings !

Gary