Guide+Support; to installing EFI v8+ dual booting(Pics)

i_am...me

454 posts in this topic

When Darwin is loading from the Brazilmac Leopard disk my PC automatically reboots in the middle every time. Does anyone know how to fix this?

System Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

2GB Corsair Dominator 1066 DDR2 RAM

160GB WD RAPTOR X 10K RPM SATA HD

8800 GTX OC'D

Samsung Writemaster SATA DVD drive

eVGA nForce 680i Mothorboard

Hi all

Trying to boot from brazilmac disk and starts up with apple ok but just stays on that screen forever. Using f8 -v stops at BSD root: disk1s3, major 14, minor 3.

Can anyone shed ant light on this.

Cheers

When Darwin is loading from the Brazilmac Leopard disk my PC automatically reboots in the middle every time. Does anyone know how to fix this?

System Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

2GB Corsair Dominator 1066 DDR2 RAM

160GB WD RAPTOR X 10K RPM SATA HD

8800 GTX OC'D

Samsung Writemaster SATA DVD drive

eVGA nForce 680i Mothorboard

Sorry but this thread is for installing EFI 8 on a GPT, not booting up the leopard dvd

I just want to verify my thinking. Here is what I was going to do:

I have two internal Harddisk. I currently have Kalyway 10.5.1 running on Disk #1, but I would rather run a system from my own DVD that I have purchased.

Here is what I was going to do.

-Boot into Kalyway 10.5.1 running on disk #1.

-Do the install with i_am...me instruction onto the second internal disk from the 10.5 DVD that I have purchased.

-reboot (hopefully it will boot disk #2 I just installed to)

-wipe out Kalyway on disk #1

will this work?

I just want to verify my thinking. Here is what I was going to do:I have two internal Harddisk. I currently have Kalyway 10.5.1 running on Disk #1, but I would rather run a system from my own DVD that I have purchased. Here is what I was going to do.-Boot into Kalyway 10.5.1 running on disk #1.-Do the install with i_am...me instruction onto the second internal disk from the 10.5 DVD that I have purchased.-reboot (hopefully it will boot disk #2 I just installed to)-wipe out Kalyway on disk #1will this work?
Even simpler.put the DVD in. Run the OSInstall.mpkg and that will install the dvd
I did this installation method successfully.Now I want to install Vista on my second hard drive. Will this guide work if I am using a second HD? If not what must I change?
IF you want to dual boot vista with the darwin boot menu. It has to be on the same drive

Even simpler.put the DVD in. Run the OSInstall.mpkg and that will install the dvdIF you want to dual boot vista with the darwin boot menu. It has to be on the same drive
Sorry I'm kind of new to OS X. Where do I find OSInstall.mpkg? Are you saying when I'm Leopard I installed from the Kalyway ISO, I can just put in 10.5 DVD that I purchased and install from it over the Kalyway version? I looked I could not find OSInstall.mpkg.

EDIT: ok I was able to find OSInstaller.mpkg from the terminal at /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages, but I can figure out how to get to it in the finder so I can run it.

EDIT: ok I was able to get there by the "go to folder" in the finder. I trying installing and going from there, I'm hoping that will make the second disk boot and not the first one that already has the kalyway version

Sorry I'm kind of new to OS X. Where do I find OSInstall.mpkg? Are you saying when I'm Leopard I installed from the Kalyway ISO, I can just put in 10.5 DVD that I purchased and install from it over the Kalyway version? I looked I could not find OSInstall.mpkg.

EDIT: ok I was able to find OSInstaller.mpkg from the terminal at /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages, but I can figure out how to get to it in the finder so I can run it.

type this in terminal

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES && killall Finder

I'm not able to get this to boot. Here is what I did

Disk0s2 running Kalyway 10.5.1 (works fine)

Disk1s2 blank

-boot up into Leopard (kalyway)

-run diskutil and make a GUID HFS+ partition on Disk1s2 named "leo"

-unmount leo

in the terminal run the following:

sudo -s

*password*

cd /Users/my_user/Desktop/pc_efi_v80

./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk1s2 ./boot_v8

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2 bs=512 count=1

*at this point make sure all partitions are unmounted*

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk1 bs=400 count=1

*** now here is says to reboot and you will get config com.apple.boot.plist not found*** but I don't when I reboot, the Kalyway leapord on disk0 starts up

what is wrong?

I'm not able to get this to boot. Here is what I didDisk0s2 running Kalyway 10.5.1 (works fine)Disk1s2 blank-boot up into Leopard (kalyway)-run diskutil and make a GUID HFS+ partition on Disk1s2 named "leo"-unmount leoin the terminal run the following:sudo -s*password*cd /Users/my_user/Desktop/pc_efi_v80./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk1s2 ./boot_v8dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2 bs=512 count=1*at this point make sure all partitions are unmounted*dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk1 bs=400 count=1*** now here is says to reboot and you will get config com.apple.boot.plist not found*** but I don't when I reboot, the Kalyway leapord on disk0 starts upwhat is wrong?
In your bios make sure disk1 is the boot up drive
Ok... but what other options will work if I want to use two separate drives? Will the vista boot-loader work? Grub?
Im not sure

Yep did that and now when I boot I get the grey background with the apple and the spinning pinwheel, I left running for a very long time but it never boots past that screen.

hmm thats not right..

try removing disk0 completely. and put disk1 in disk0's place

hmm thats not right..

try removing disk0 completely. and put disk1 in disk0's place

Tried that as well, still same thing, I get the grey screen with the apple logo and the spinning pin wheel but it never gets past that. I wonder why I can boot with the kalyway install but not with this method?

Need a little help with this kernel panic, trying to install EFI v8 w/ GUID. I need to start with JaS 10.4.8, and then upgrade to 10.4.11. It's the only way i can get my video card to work fully. My specs are my sig, the HP zd8000. Thanks for any help.

post-16571-1200101147_thumb.jpg

Tried that as well, still same thing, I get the grey screen with the apple logo and the spinning pin wheel but it never gets past that. I wonder why I can boot with the kalyway install but not with this method?
Hmmm completely wipe the hard drive and format over again..
Need a little help with this kernel panic, trying to install EFI v8 w/ GUID. I need to start with JaS 10.4.8, and then upgrade to 10.4.11. It's the only way i can get my video card to work fully. My specs are my sig, the HP zd8000. Thanks for any help.
im not sure.But you realize that your laptop doesnt support the vanilla kernel. you need a core duo or better

First off, just want to say that I am jumping between this guide and the other guys guide to figure this out, so I want to give you thanks, "Iam...me".

But real talk, reading your guide is "EXTREMELY CONFUSING".

First to start to start of off make sure you can boot in to the external HD and tiger is running ok.

I mean I understand what your saying here, but when you start talking real technical, it almost becomes impossible to figure out exactly what your trying to say.

This way is the same as you would post patch BrazilMac's leopard if you didnt have another tiger install.

This is the first time you even mention BrazilMac's leopard, in the beginning you only referred to it as a "Tiger Install'

Do all the same steps as follows above except do them in the leopard/tiger install DVD.

After you completed making them GUID even if you are in the install DVD you still need to unmount the partition so do so. When you enter the lines in terminal type this instead of whats above.

cd /Volumes/123/pc_efi_v72
./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8
dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1
dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

Ok now everything was understandable until you got to this point. First and foremost, you say to get pci efi v80, but you say to type in

cd/volumes/123/pc)efi_v72

which makes no sense. I'm using the download you provided. The confusion just branches off from here. You say include efi v80, but you type 72 in for the code, on top of that you don't say anywhere in this tutorial to put efi v80 or whatever at the root of the memory card, but from the looks of the code you want us to type in that is what it looks like.

Added a .zip with all the essentials, updated EFI.sh and v8.0 of PC_EFI

Now includes a post patch! it has some modified kexts and some vanilla it has the vanilla kernel and paulicats Natit simply edit the .sh then place them on ur thumb drive and run the .sh

easily the most confusing part of this whole guide. First of all, what? I can't even begin to try to explain how confusing this is. Run the .sh? Where? When? How exactly are we supposed to be editing the .sh? What is paulicats Natit? What exactly is the postpatch and what exactly is to be gained by using it, how exactly are we supposed to use it, and at what point in the guide are we supposed to use it.

I basically extracted the .zip directly to my mem card, but just by looking at where the folders lie and the code it doesn't seem quite right. Anyways just some preliminary questions before I preceed to go through this whole thread. I really do thank you for your effort in helping, it's just that it's mind numbingly confusing how it is worded in this guide.

First off, just want to say that I am jumping between this guide and the other guys guide to figure this out, so I want to give you thanks, "Iam...me".

But real talk, reading your guide is "EXTREMELY CONFUSING".

I mean I understand what your saying here, but when you start talking real technical, it almost becomes impossible to figure out exactly what your trying to say.

This is the first time you even mention BrazilMac's leopard, in the beginning you only referred to it as a "Tiger Install'

Ok now everything was understandable until you got to this point. First and foremost, you say to get pci efi v80, but you say to type in

cd/volumes/123/pc)efi_v72

which makes no sense. I'm using the download you provided. The confusion just branches off from here. You say include efi v80, but you type 72 in for the code, on top of that you don't say anywhere in this tutorial to put efi v80 or whatever at the root of the memory card, but from the looks of the code you want us to type in that is what it looks like.

easily the most confusing part of this whole guide. First of all, what? I can't even begin to try to explain how confusing this is. Run the .sh? Where? When? How exactly are we supposed to be editing the .sh? What is paulicats Natit? What exactly is the postpatch and what exactly is to be gained by using it, how exactly are we supposed to use it, and at what point in the guide are we supposed to use it.

I basically extracted the .zip directly to my mem card, but just by looking at where the folders lie and the code it doesn't seem quite right. Anyways just some preliminary questions before I preceed to go through this whole thread. I really do thank you for your effort in helping, it's just that it's mind numbingly confusing how it is worded in this guide.

I understand how this could be confusing. And the reason alot of it says v72 is beacuse there was soo many implications of PC_EFI it was hard to keep up.

But if your not comfortable with runnning commands in terminal or dont understand alot of the terminal logic then maybe you should use iAtkos or Kalyway

well this is going to be the first time I own a Mac.

I mean I work a lot in command prompt in windows, and the terminal stuff is not soo hard but.....

basically the package I downloaded from you, came with 2 folders. 1 folder had the pc efi 8.0 folder, and the other folder ALSO had the pc efi 8.0 folder. I also know you said to name the volume 123 for ease of use, I was thinking that if you would do that, then maybe you implicity implied for me to copy 1 of the pci efi 8.0 folders to the root of the volume. That combined with the fact that the way you type it in your terminal, it looks like it is in the root threw me off, that along with you stating it was version 7.2. in terminal.

No but I understand what your talking about. I'm downloading the Kalyway disc right now, hopefully there aren't any drawbacks between using whichever method (terminal or Kalyway). Hopefully I can get a good Triple boot on one harddrive goin (MacOSX, Vista, mayybe XP).

Hello All,

I have installed Kalway 10.5.1 to my internal 500 GB sata drive formatting as MBR I could not get it to install successfully when I used guid partition would state that the install failed and would restart my computer tried 5 times. I cannot boot by selecting the drive in bios to boot first I get blinking underscore. I have to use the Kalway 10.5.1 dvd and wait for it to load and then if I wait until it counts down it will see the efi v8 with a little blip of text and then load OSX 10.5.1 from my hard drive. How do I get it to load straight from the HD? specs below

Install disk- Kalway 10.5.1 iso

MOBO - ASUS P5B-E all SATA controllers working, sound working with Azalia package

Processor Core 2 Duo E6600 over clocked to 3.0 GHZ - fully working

Video Card- EVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB - working with Nvinject

D-link DWA-552 - working with Kalway networking patch

Memeory 3 GB G Skill DDR2 PC800- working only sees memory at 667 though in system profiler

Hard Drive 500 GB Maxtor Sata - Installed, but cannot get efi to boot have to use Kalway 10.5.1 DVD to boot the OS

Screen Shot attached- Any help would be awsome. Thanks

post-76552-1200427256_thumb.jpg