Guide+Support; to installing EFI v8+ dual booting(Pics)

i_am...me

454 posts in this topic

"Package 0 didn't get an HPET"

That is what's stopping me from booting, i get this in both single user and verbose, how can i fix this bad boy?

the actual way to get rid of this is remove : appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext

-D-

InsanelyMac Protégé

Group: Members

Member No.: 43,390

Hello to all!

I have an Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard (Intel975x) and a Intel Quadcore cpu.(guid partition)

I can boot with pc_efi only toh´s kernel, vanilla is not possible, after booting with vanilla system hangs and I cannot boot anymore. After reinstalling pc_efi v8 I can boot toh´s kernel again

Something seems to be wrong..I´m running Leopard 10.5.1 and under System Profiler I can´t see "MacPro" There´s no information about the model !

Radeon 1950 XT is not fully working, I don´t know if I would need another efi_patch or whatever could be the reason of this trouble..

MacOSX 10.4.10 is runnig perfectly..

Maybe somebody of you knows more than I

Greetings !

Gary !

Sorry if this is a stupid question but i am a noob. Since i don't have an external drive can i use your directions to create two partitions on the same drive 1st one for GUID/EFI? and the second for Leopard?

-guh

Sorry if this is a stupid question but i am a noob. Since i don't have an external drive can i use your directions to create two partitions on the same drive 1st one for GUID/EFI? and the second for Leopard?-guh
No cant. you need 2 drives or a thumb drive... because you have to erase your whole drive to get it to be GUID, which that covers in one of the first steps..
in the second part of this tut one is supposed to format in fat32 FS is that the best or the only option, isn't hfs better?sorry i'm a ultranoob :unsure:
you format the usb thumb drive to fat32

No cant. you need 2 drives or a thumb drive... because you have to erase your whole drive to get it to be GUID, which that covers in one of the first steps..you format the usb thumb drive to fat32

Hmm that sucks. I read that as you just make a partition GUID not the whole drive.

@ i_am...me

@ BJMoose

@ zzak

@ joelones

Want to thank all of you for help and advice contribution to get my bad axe 2 with GUID PARTITION TABLE.

Got it finally working with a little bit each of your guides. My motherboard way needs ubuntu 7.1 installed... without ubuntu there is no way to set/write changes into efi partition... talking of last step "dd if... boot0..."

People having problems like me can try it... just need a 3GB partition to install ubuntu 7.1 manually (2GB for root "/" and one for swap".

how to:

1. using a patched DVD partition HDD GUID scheme reserving a small 3GB partition for ubuntu

2. install ubuntu

3. Return to Leopard DVD and install, apply patches. reboot and apply efi as per above members guides.

i Know it is the hard way, but... if it all fails, you still have hope.

unfortunately once installed Leopard i've lost access to ubuntu and if i delete 3GB partition i'll lose access to Leopard... so can't recover this 3GB space back.

request joelones help editing your post #121 guide lines or posting here new step by step for n00b's [how to] in order to get multi-boot access efi Leopard/ubuntu.

btw... I'm happy as under heavy load my BadAXE2 performed fast and flawlessly.

Once again: Thanks all of u.

@ i_am...me

@ BJMoose

@ zzak

@ joelones

Want to thank all of you for help and advice contribution to get my bad axe 2 with GUID PARTITION TABLE.

Got it finally working with a little bit each of your guides. My motherboard way needs ubuntu 7.1 installed... without ubuntu there is no way to set/write changes into efi partition... talking of last step "dd if... boot0..."

People having problems like me can try it... just need a 3GB partition to install ubuntu 7.1 manually (2GB for root "/" and one for swap".

how to:

1. using a patched DVD partition HDD GUID scheme reserving a small 3GB partition for ubuntu

2. install ubuntu

3. Return to Leopard DVD and install, apply patches. reboot and apply efi as per above members guides.

i Know it is the hard way, but... if it all fails, you still have hope.

unfortunately once installed Leopard i've lost access to ubuntu and if i delete 3GB partition i'll lose access to Leopard... so can't recover this 3GB space back.

request joelones help editing your post #121 guide lines or posting here new step by step for n00b's [how to] in order to get multi-boot access efi Leopard/ubuntu.

btw... I'm happy as under heavy load my BadAXE2 performed fast and flawlessly.

Once again: Thanks all of u.

Your welcome.

But quick question what version of EFI are us using?

Method Number 2: Starting with out Tiger or Leopard.

This way is the same as you would post patch BrazilMac's leopard if you didnt have another tiger install.

Obtain the EFI file its now up to v8

Format your usb drive as FAT or FAT32 and Name it sumthing easy you can remember for this example im using 123.

Do all the same steps as follows above except do them in the leopard/tiger install DVD.

After you completed making them GUID even if you are in the install DVD you still need to unmount the partition so do so. When you enter the lines in terminal type this instead of whats above.

cd /Volumes/123/pc_efi_v72
./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8
dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1
dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

You can then continue to install leopard or tiger.

Hey guys

ok i have tried method 2 . downloaded the zip file v8 for the thread to.

ok i formated my driver 1 partion and set GUID. i did the code in the termianl to installed 10.5.0 Toh after install all i get is "System config file '/com.apple.boot.plist' not found " any ideas

OH nooos i screwed my leopard install up. My machine is now continuously rebooting as soon as it gets past loading bios. It started rebooting after i did apple's software update and rebooted. Since i am a noob i figured i just did something wrong when i edited the EFI.sh file. I changed

IFS=$'\n' # important!

PATCH="/Users/guh/Desktop/pc_efi_v80" # path to EFI v 7.2

EFI="/dev/rdisk1s2" # the drive for EFI

DRIVE="/dev/disk1" # drive where EFI is

Any one have any ideas? Was i supposed to edit anything else?

i followed the method 2 of the guide exactly using the ToH RC2 dvd, and pc_efi_v8, and, i'm still getting this error on boot:

Thats just trying to boot into Leopard with -v

IMG_2241.JPG

I know in the other thread you told me to delete AppleEFIRuntime.kext

I'm gonna try that now, but i wasn't sure since it's not in your guide here.

i followed the method 2 of the guide exactly using the ToH RC2 dvd, and pc_efi_v8, and, i'm still getting this error on boot:Thats just trying to boot into Leopard with -vIMG_2241.JPGI know in the other thread you told me to delete AppleEFIRuntime.kext I'm gonna try that now, but i wasn't sure since it's not in your guide here.
See where it says back trace?And underneith it, it says AppleEFIRuntime. More time then not it will tell you whats wrong under back trace. Just a tip for you guys :P
OH nooos i screwed my leopard install up. My machine is now continuously rebooting as soon as it gets past loading bios. It started rebooting after i did apple's software update and rebooted. Since i am a noob i figured i just did something wrong when i edited the EFI.sh file. I changed IFS=$'\n' # important!PATCH="/Users/guh/Desktop/pc_efi_v80" # path to EFI v 7.2EFI="/dev/rdisk1s2" # the drive for EFIDRIVE="/dev/disk1" # drive where EFI isAny one have any ideas? Was i supposed to edit anything else?
Thats it! :D

See where it says back trace?And underneith it, it says AppleEFIRuntime. More time then not it will tell you whats wrong under back trace. Just a tip for you guys :PThats it! :D

Any idea how to stop the rebooting?

See where it says back trace?And underneith it, it says AppleEFIRuntime. More time then not it will tell you whats wrong under back trace. Just a tip for you guys :P Thats it! :D

success

after deleting AppleEFIRuntime.kext i was getting another error, booting with -legacy -v gave me still waiting for root device, so i changed my bios settings to ACHPI.

i got to the desktop, but some slight driver problems have arrisen:

display = 1024x768

no sound

no network

will the network and display drivers from Tiger work with leopard?

Otherwise what can i do?

should i use the:

NVinject.kext from Onetrack's guide for display?

intel p4 SSE2 i am using the TOH release
thats why you need a core duo or better processor
successafter deleting AppleEFIRuntime.kext i was getting another error, booting with -legacy -v gave me still waiting for root device, so i changed my bios settings to ACHPI.i got to the desktop, but some slight driver problems have arrisen:display = 1024x768no soundno networkwill the network and display drivers from Tiger work with leopard?Otherwise what can i do?should i use the:NVinject.kext from Onetrack's guide for display?
For graphics yea try that. Sound and network, i dunno what to tell you i would need more info

thats why you need a core duo or better processorFor graphics yea try that. Sound and network, i dunno what to tell you i would need more info

doing some searching i found this topic:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;hl=GA-965GM

looks like it has what i need, i'm trying it now.

as for NVinject, how should i put it on?

right from the desktop, or do i need to boot into single user mode, or what?