Guide+Support; to installing EFI v8+ dual booting(Pics)

i_am...me

454 posts in this topic

One Question, you say tiger but that looks like leopard. if i do it in leopard everything makes sense but then when you reinstall i have a question. i am using iATKOS so when i press customize do i select the EFI bootloader or darwin x86 bootloader or do i just leave those blank and just install the drivers? thanks

One Question, you say tiger but that looks like leopard. if i do it in leopard everything makes sense but then when you reinstall i have a question. i am using iATKOS so when i press customize do i select the EFI bootloader or darwin x86 bootloader or do i just leave those blank and just install the drivers? thanks

You can do these commands from Tiger or Leopard, on a different install than the one you are installing EFI on to.

Is there a dual booting guide already? I want to use Kalyway 10.5.1 and XP from the same HD.

XP wont work. Vista or windows XP x64

Look in my signature. Works perfectly with no flashing.

Hi!

I have a 8800 GTS 512Mb in a BadAxe2. I managed to make the Video Work, but everythime it has to do something intensive, like iPhoto retouching for example, the system freezes.

How did you do to make it work??

I'm sure this has been asked but is it possible to create a GUID partition table from a clean install on a blank drive? I reformatted my manual install of efi, brazilmac, etc in favor of the Kalyway DVD, and I would like to format it for GUID but it isn't giving me an option for it.

I'm sure this has been asked but is it possible to create a GUID partition table from a clean install on a blank drive? I reformatted my manual install of efi, brazilmac, etc in favor of the Kalyway DVD, and I would like to format it for GUID but it isn't giving me an option for it.

Yea just use disk utility, it will erase every thing though.

I has to rewrite the partition map

Yeah but it doesn't have the option to choose GUID, and when I'm done, I am left with MBR. This is done from booting the Kalyway dvd and choosing Disk Utility before installing if it matters.

Click the hard drive on the left.

There will be a tab that says "Partition" Click that..

That will bring up the Partitioner, Select one partition from the drop down menu.

Now click options at the bottom, There will be the option for GUID Partition Table

Hi Thanks so much for the guid, I succeeded in installing EFI with the first attempt, but the install of LEO from the original disk failed with some problems related to "cannot determine the user-defined hostname" or something similar, and it just hung there, I can fix that later, but what I want to tune now is the EFI loader.

So a couple of questions regarding the EFI setup:

1) Is it a good idea to create a small partition (500MB ??) on the start of the disk just to manage the EFI boot, and then create another partiton below it for the osx install ?? (and other partitions) - if so, how will EFI know where the LEO os is ?

2) I intend to multiboot (bootcamp ??), and assuming that it's OK to have a seperate EFI partition will use something like:

disk0s0 (hfs+) - 500MB: EFI

disk0s1 (hfs+) - 80GB OSLEO

disk0s2 (MSDOS) - 20GB - OSWIN

disk0s3 (MSDOS) - DATA

Should I create all of these partitions before installing EFI, or do I create one partition and then add all of the others later ??

3) If I re-install LEO (AS I will do many times before I get it how I want it), do I need to completely re-partition the disk or can I just erase the partition ?? - if I don't have a seperate EFI partition and I do an erase disk on the partition that EFI was installed to, will it also erase the EFI files ??

Many Thanks

P

I have Kalyway 10.5.1 installed on a GUID 320GB hard drive, and Vista Ultimate x64 on a different HD.

Right now, the setup is:

disk0=All NTFS, GUID, Vista, 1 Partition (excluding EFI)

disk1=OSX Leopard, GUID, 1 Partition (excluding EFI)

Following this guide, I can't seem to boot windows properly. I have to press F12, and select the HD to boot from, or it only boots to OSX.

I press F8 at the EFI loader, and it give me the choice of (hd1,1) and (hd1,2), but I need (hd0,2).

I'm stuck, and don't know what to do. Please help.

Hi Thanks so much for the guid, I succeeded in installing EFI with the first attempt, but the install of LEO from the original disk failed with some problems related to "cannot determine the user-defined hostname" or something similar, and it just hung there, I can fix that later, but what I want to tune now is the EFI loader.So a couple of questions regarding the EFI setup:1) Is it a good idea to create a small partition (500MB ??) on the start of the disk just to manage the EFI boot, and then create another partiton below it for the osx install ?? (and other partitions) - if so, how will EFI know where the LEO os is ?2) I intend to multiboot (bootcamp ??), and assuming that it's OK to have a seperate EFI partition will use something like:disk0s0 (hfs+) - 500MB: EFIdisk0s1 (hfs+) - 80GB OSLEOdisk0s2 (MSDOS) - 20GB - OSWINdisk0s3 (MSDOS) - DATAShould I create all of these partitions before installing EFI, or do I create one partition and then add all of the others later ??3) If I re-install LEO (AS I will do many times before I get it how I want it), do I need to completely re-partition the disk or can I just erase the partition ?? - if I don't have a seperate EFI partition and I do an erase disk on the partition that EFI was installed to, will it also erase the EFI files ??Many ThanksP

1) The GPT already makes a EFI partition, so dont worry about that..

2)Use diskutillity and resize taking advantage of the GUID's ability to using non destructive partitioning.

3) Just erase the partition.

I have Kalyway 10.5.1 installed on a GUID 320GB hard drive, and Vista Ultimate x64 on a different HD.Right now, the setup is:disk0=All NTFS, GUID, Vista, 1 Partition (excluding EFI)disk1=OSX Leopard, GUID, 1 Partition (excluding EFI)Following this guide, I can't seem to boot windows properly. I have to press F12, and select the HD to boot from, or it only boots to OSX.I press F8 at the EFI loader, and it give me the choice of (hd1,1) and (hd1,2), but I need (hd0,2).I'm stuck, and don't know what to do. Please help.
Ive said many times that this wont work for different disks.

Reading around this and similar fora, I found a lot of people stating that EFI v8 + Vanilla works perfectly on a mobo ASUS P5WDH Deluxe, so that despite a stable installation of iAtkos (over MBR), I tried on a spare PATA HD to install Leopard from my Retail DVD.

No dual booting was required since I'm using separate HD and mobo boot options let me choose at POST time which os to light up, so that I followed the step by step instructions in the first post (just adding some well tested kext for my GeFo6800xt) without any success untill I just renamed the vanilla mach_kernel (about 10 Mb) and put in place a patched mach_kernel (I tried both iatkos or toh about 5Mb) working without any problem.

My conclusion is that EFI v8 is working, but not with vanilla kernel... now my question: is it possible that this is due to the PATA instead of the SATA hd ? may the GeFo 6800xt lead to such a failure (they are the only differences wrt some success configurations).

I can survive (until there are upgraded patched kernel flying around) without vanilla, but I liked to know why !!!!

Orsodimare

i am...me Please help me out here..

Hi I have succesfully installed both Kalyway and iATKOS on my second HDD formatted as MBR. Worked just fine.

Now I am trying to get it to work on GUID so I erased the HDD with all zero's and partitioned as GUID and went along installing

Kalyway with the Boot_GUID option selected. The installation went fine but at reboot when I select the second HDD in the boot device selection menu there is that white cursor in the top-left for a few secoonds and then the machine boots directly into the first HDD with Vista.

On the first HDD there is a recovery partition before the Vista partition that is called EISA configuration in Vista's disk utility.

Do you have any idea?

I am on a Aspire notebook 7720G with T7500 C2D 2.2 MHz , 2x HDD 160 , Gb 2MB ram

hi,

i use easybcd in vista to manage the bootloader. How can i tell easybcd to start from my guid+efi partition? If i start leopard from the selected bootdisk in bios, it works, but when i try to boot with the easybcd, it doesn´t! I´ve also tried to copy efi.nst in the startdrive c:/nst/ but it also does not work..

any suggestions?

apooo

i am...me Please help me out here..Hi I have succesfully installed both Kalyway and iATKOS on my second HDD formatted as MBR. Worked just fine.Now I am trying to get it to work on GUID so I erased the HDD with all zero's and partitioned as GUID and went along installingKalyway with the Boot_GUID option selected. The installation went fine but at reboot when I select the second HDD in the boot device selection menu there is that white cursor in the top-left for a few secoonds and then the machine boots directly into the first HDD with Vista.On the first HDD there is a recovery partition before the Vista partition that is called EISA configuration in Vista's disk utility.Do you have any idea?I am on a Aspire notebook 7720G with T7500 C2D 2.2 MHz , 2x HDD 160 , Gb 2MB ram
Im sorry i cannot help much with Kalyway..You can try the commands over and see if that helps...
hi,i use easybcd in vista to manage the bootloader. How can i tell easybcd to start from my guid+efi partition? If i start leopard from the selected bootdisk in bios, it works, but when i try to boot with the easybcd, it doesn´t! I´ve also tried to copy efi.nst in the startdrive c:/nst/ but it also does not work..any suggestions?apooo
I have said through out the tread. OS X has to be the boot OS....

Hey there I_am..me i have been recommending your install guide for a while now to people. I have the best success using your efi instructions and your set of extensions for post install. I even have your install linked in a p5wdh deluxe thread in the irc.osx86.hu (in sig.)

After doing a vanilla install using the retail dvd or sometimes Kalyways dvd the internal sata drives appear as orange external drives. But after using your extensions pack they return to metallic internals. Do you have any idea which kext or combination might be responsible for that as I don't have the time right now to test my self, i think this would be really useful information for many people.

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

AppleVIA.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

IOAHCIFamily.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

IOHDIXController.kext

Thanks for your hard work

I am me !! Finally did it.

Finally I got my second HDD booting with GUID following BJMoose's guide. A lot of work but effective.

Now your dual booting guide, could you be more specific on how to make the extra partition for Vista?

Does OSX name it boot_camp by itself?

And when do we have to put back the boot0 , because Vista reboots a lot before it's finished.

I really want to try to have a dual boot drive with OSX and Vista.

Thanks.