Guide+Support; to installing EFI v8+ dual booting(Pics)

i_am...me

454 posts in this topic

alright i have 10.4.10 running. my specs are:

intel pentium D CPU 3.00GHz

nvidia geforce 8800 gts

hitachi SATA 400gb hard drive(vista) + maxtor SATA 160GB hard drive(mac)

(if you need more i can add just not sure what to put)

my questions are:

can i use this guide to install this with the specs i got?

if i install this does that mean i can use apples software update?

what changes when i install this other then my computer being close to a mac?

thanks in advance

Thanks alib,

I'm going to try this tomorrow. What is the efi_guid_post_install.command script? Do you mean run Brazilmac post patch? Why did you Install the 10.5.1 update after rebooting and just not run the EFI scripts?

No need to run BrazilMAC postpatch

Yes it important and more simple to run the 10.5.1 update after the install of Brazil, it will put the original kext from Apple

then my script will backup the original kexts put the necessary ones make the partition bootable (run the efi script) repair all the permissions

[EDIT]: IMPORTANT/ When you will ask to drag the partition over the script it's important to clic one time on the desktop to deselect it , if not the partition will not unmount further in the script

just verify before reboot if your new Leopard partition is active but i think it will, if not :

sudo -s

diskutil list

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX

p

f 2 or f 3 .. (because f 1 is the EFI part if GUID option)

w

y

q

When your install is clean keep an image of it that you can restore with ASR easily

When you will ask to transfert your data i recommend not to do it, it's safe to do that after with the assistant

good luck and thank's to i_am...me and all the people

No need to run BrazilMAC postpatch

Yes it important and more simple to run the 10.5.1 update after the install of Brazil, it will put the original kext from Apple

then my script will backup the original kexts put the necessary ones make the partition bootable (run the efi script) repair all the permissions

[EDIT]: IMPORTANT/ When you will ask to drag the partition over the script it's important to clic one time on the desktop to deselect it , if not the partition will not unmount further in the script

just verify before reboot if your new Leopard partition is active but i think it will, if not :

sudo -s

diskutil list

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX

p

f 2 or f 3 .. (because f 1 is the EFI part if GUID option)

w

y

q

When your install is clean keep an image of it that you can restore with ASR easily

When you will ask to transfert your data i recommend not to do it, it's safe to do that after with the assistant

good luck and thank's to i_am...me and all the people

That's a very good patch installer you have made. The patch ran perfect. However on rebooting I just had a flashing cursor. Would not boot tried pressing F8 nothing.

I will run the terminal commands you suggested to see if that works.

Again thanks for your help and advice.

**update I ran your fdisk terminal commands. It still won't boot. I marked f 2 f 3. I even tried f 1.

I just do not understand why it will not work.

That's a very good patch installer you have made. The patch ran perfect. However on rebooting I just had a flashing cursor. Would not boot tried pressing F8 nothing.

I will run the terminal commands you suggested to see if that works.

Again thanks for your help and advice.

**update I ran your fdisk terminal commands. It still won't boot. I marked f 2 f 3. I even tried f 1.

I just do not understand why it will not work.

What rev board and bios ? mine is rev 1 bios F6

Try To uncheck IOAHCIFamilly and AppleAHCI with the # sign in the script and save as i known some do not need this kext

good luck

@Carlos Pombo, PJMoose

I wrote a little howto. You can try to install grub and so that you may boot a Guid disk on a Bad Axe 2, check it out here.

Hi !

Let me thank you...

Beleave i can do this, downloading now ubuntu. Once downloaded will do as per yr short guide.

Think you can help a lot of Bad AXE 2  owners posting yr guide lines as a comment under efi_v8 netkas dot org site

@zzak

now i got it working with your guide, but get "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button"

any ideas?

I figure out what was the problem.. Bad axe2.

zzak, Thanks a lot for this. I was about to give up on finding a reasonable way to make GUID + EFI work on the Bad Axe 2. Making that 2nd partition active was what did the trick for me. I'm going to experiment with a few things now, like whether re-installing the OS on the 2nd partition requires making it active again...and if the EFI info remains on the EFI partition (partition 1).

Thanks again.

ok think i need some help :)

i followed the guide.

have already vista running on 1 disk and on a second wanted to install the leopard toh.

booted the disc, made the guid partition.

then i did in terminal:

cd /Volumes/mac/pc_efi_v80

./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk1s2 ./boot_v7_guid_only

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2 bs=512 count=1

here i did: umount /dev/Leopard

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk1 bs=400 count=1

wich is good in case of my setup cause vista is on disk0s1

installed leo. then booted straight to vista and set bcd to make new entry for leo.

now when i choose leo to boot i get the error:

chain booting error.

did i do something wrong or what i want does not work?

the partitions look good on my disc.

and vista still boots :P

post-155362-1196706651_thumb.jpg

hey everyone, I'm sure that I am missing a elementary mistake, but if someone could help out a Mac noob, I'd appreciate it.

I'm following the guide from page one, but when I use terminal to run the startupfiletool, I get "permission denied". I've tried on two separate leopard installations and a tiger install. Im not forgetting "sudo -s" either. I also tried repairing permissions.

any ideas? thanks in advance.

hey everyone, I'm sure that I am missing a elementary mistake, but if someone could help out a Mac noob, I'd appreciate it.

I'm following the guide from page one, but when I use terminal to run the startupfiletool, I get "permission denied". I've tried on two separate leopard installations and a tiger install. Im not forgetting "sudo -s" either. I also tried repairing permissions.

any ideas? thanks in advance.

Do you have an admin password?

Ok, i followed the guide and installed without another running leo/tiger installation.

so i made the GUID from the leo dvd (brazil)

.then i installed efi v80 (btw, i used the second code box... the one under method 2. i didnt use the shell)

then i installed leorestarted, and i get to the grey loading screen and then the little circle with the line through it right above the apple logo.

how can i fix this? do i need to update kernels or anything?

thanks,

Kris

also, i try to go into single user mode and it says the following repeatedly i never waiting more than it filling up the entire screen

"Package 0 didnt get HPET" or something like that

im guessing theres something wrong with the installation

Ok, i followed the guide and installed without another running leo/tiger installation.

so i made the GUID from the leo dvd (brazil)

.then i installed efi v80 (btw, i used the second code box... the one under method 2. i didnt use the shell)

then i installed leorestarted, and i get to the grey loading screen and then the little circle with the line through it right above the apple logo.

how can i fix this? do i need to update kernels or anything?

thanks,

Kris

also, i try to go into single user mode and it says the following repeatedly i never waiting more than it filling up the entire screen

"Package 0 didnt get HPET" or something like that

im guessing theres something wrong with the installation

replace you dsmos.kext and applesmbios.kext and remove AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext

i thought the brazilmac kernel wasnt supported by efi?

otherwise, i should just run the patch normally from terminal in the leo dvd?

if you follow the EFI howto in this post, you won't need a modified kernel.

i did, read a few posts back.

i had the same error...when i replaced AppleSMBIOS.kext and copied dsmos.kext to /System/Library/Extentions it booted into Leopard.

Just copy "AppleSMBIOS.kext" and "dsmos.kext" to a USB key and reboot into the DVD installer.

Start terminal, change directory to usb key, then....

cp -R AppleSMBIOS.kext dsmos.kext /System/Library/Extentions/

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extentions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extentions/dsmos.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extentions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extentions/dsmos.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extentions.mkext

reboot

sea_man

1) "still wating for root device" is a HW compatibility issue w/ OSX and unrelated to EFI --> read the HCL and any posts for your motherboard for a fix

2) You'll get better support if you move all your HW (non-EFI) install issues into a new thread (or post them in the correct existing threads..)

Thanks for your reply.

My specs:

Epox P965 +GLI ( this board don't come whit J-micron , but have a SI Ide to Sata onboard converter)

Core 2 duo e6300

8800gts 320

Whit the Tiger 10.4.10 i don't have any problems ... only whit this EFI tutorial...

Yesterday i tried to reinstall again .. but.. whit the MBR partiton.. and i have now a error 0 .. in the screen...

Thanks for your help.