Guide+Support; to installing EFI v8+ dual booting(Pics)

i_am...me

454 posts in this topic

Hi I tried thid guide on my ACER Aspire 7720G with two 160 Gb HDD in it. My Vista is on first HDD so I did it on the second HDD.

All went well but after installation , when i tried to boot from the second HDD (hitting F8 to get into the BIOS Boot menu) the system wouldn't

boot from it but booted the first HDD. No error messages or anything. Just nut booting from the second HDD.

Any suggestions?

Use kext helper and it will install it for you and boot with -f

well, i uesd that, and installed the kexts perfectly, only problem is that now boot is froozen on the desktop image.

i've tried booting with various combinations of things, and left it there for about 5 mins, and it doesnt go anywhere.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=74752

that topic suggests that the NVinject kext doesnt work, and to try the NAIT one.

so im booting into the dvd now, or would i be able to do it through single user mode on the install itself? as it takes a good 15 mins to boot from the dvd, and it doesnt recognize the hd about half the time

EDIT

well, i replaced the NVinject one with the Natit one, and still had the same problem, so i went and deleted them.

On the plus side, network works now.

Only display and sound left...

EDIT 2:

sound works now using the gigabyte_ds3-4pack1.2.dmg that i used on 10.4.8

i just installed the audio one.

No idea if i have 5.1 or just stero, but right now i dont care, as it's sound, i'll try to make it better if need be later.

just display left.

(also, Time Machine works with this method of install correct?)

well, i uesd that, and installed the kexts perfectly, only problem is that now boot is froozen on the desktop image.

i've tried booting with various combinations of things, and left it there for about 5 mins, and it doesnt go anywhere.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=74752

that topic suggests that the NVinject kext doesnt work, and to try the NAIT one.

so im booting into the dvd now, or would i be able to do it through single user mode on the install itself? as it takes a good 15 mins to boot from the dvd, and it doesnt recognize the hd about half the time

EDIT

well, i replaced the NVinject one with the Natit one, and still had the same problem, so i went and deleted them.

On the plus side, network works now.

Only display and sound left...

EDIT 2:

sound works now using the gigabyte_ds3-4pack1.2.dmg that i used on 10.4.8

i just installed the audio one.

No idea if i have 5.1 or just stero, but right now i dont care, as it's sound, i'll try to make it better if need be later.

just display left.

(also, Time Machine works with this method of install correct?)

umm im not sure what method you used but if time machine doesnt work there is a IONetworkingFamily.kext in the leo post install forum that will get it working.

did you try holding shift while you boot? that will put it in safe mode.

umm im not sure what method you used but if time machine doesnt work there is a IONetworkingFamily.kext in the leo post install forum that will get it working.

did you try holding shift while you boot? that will put it in safe mode.

time machine looks like its working, i don't have my other hard drives plugged in at the moment, so i don't know for sure, i just wanted to double check as i've read there were issues getting it working on other methods of install.

i did not try holding down shift, i will try that next.

i'll reinstall the natit or nvinject kexts, but, what am i doing in safe mode anyway?

(also, im going to bed now, its 230 am, so no need to rush to answer)

time machine looks like its working, i don't have my other hard drives plugged in at the moment, so i don't know for sure, i just wanted to double check as i've read there were issues getting it working on other methods of install.

i did not try holding down shift, i will try that next.

i'll reinstall the natit or nvinject kexts, but, what am i doing in safe mode anyway?

(also, im going to bed now, its 230 am, so no need to rush to answer)

Safemode will let you boot with no drivers loaded.

So you can repair permissions and that way you dont have to wait ages for the dvd to load.

A Great investment for those who are tired of waiting on the dvds to boot, is an external hard drive, Doenst have to be a big one but it will make a difference it loads in about 2 mins and you can but files on to it, so right now on my install had i have EFI on there and the .sh so if i mess sumthing up all i have to do is get my external hd and reinstall with that i have all my patches that i need and such.

just makes things fly along

HHHHEEEELLLLPPPPPP@@!!!! :rolleyes:

OK, I feel better now :P

I keep getting the dreaded "Resource Busy" on the last step.

I've tried --

- boot off the Leo DVD (terminal)

- boot of the Tiger DVD (terminal)

- boot of my 10.4.10 Tiger install (F8 then -s)

...and every other trick imaginable and still get the darn resource busy at the last step.

What am I doing wrong?

THANKS!!

/mdg.

HHHHEEEELLLLPPPPPP@@!!!! :rolleyes:

OK, I feel better now :P

I keep getting the dreaded "Resource Busy" on the last step.

I've tried --

- boot off the Leo DVD (terminal)

- boot of the Tiger DVD (terminal)

- boot of my 10.4.10 Tiger install (F8 then -s)

...and every other trick imaginable and still get the darn resource busy at the last step.

What am I doing wrong?

THANKS!!

/mdg.

All the partitons on that drive have to be unmounted on that drive.

Guide updated with new EFI pack. it has a post patch with vanilla things. like the kernel and some kexts. Including ACPIPS2Nub.kext so you can have workin PS2 after the stock ACPIPlatform as well as Natit so mouse tearing will be a thing of the past! Shell will also remove AppleEFIRuntime and AppleIntelCPUmanagemen.kext's enjoy!

i did method 2 from the leopard dvd, but it just hangs on the apple loading screen.
boot with -v and see where is stops
i did method 2 from the leopard dvd, but it just hangs on the apple loading screen.
Boot in safe mode -x and see if you get farther also try kext load with -f

boot with -v and see where is stops

bare with me i'm a noob.

i see com.apple.systemstarter failed to count the number of files in /system/library/startup items..

Your welcome.

But quick question what version of EFI are us using?

@ i_am...me

Using efi v80. Actually can tell Bad Axe 2 + Q6600 + highpoint RocketRaid 2320 8 HDD RAID running stable under heavy work editing 237Mb images with ph0t0shop. till now zero issues

@ i_am...me

Using efi v80. Actually can tell Bad Axe 2 + Q6600 + highpoint RocketRaid 2320 8 HDD RAID running stable under heavy work editing 237Mb images with ph0t0shop. till now zero issues

That may be why you lost access to the linux partition. I think that EFI can only boot HFS+ and FAT32 And NTFS

when you install efi...what does the "dd..." commands do?If i install on an MBR what version of efi should i use? and should i do the "dd..." commands?
Were talkin about GUID not MBR'S
in your guide.... witht eh new pack. you say edit the .sh .... what do you mean by that?
Direct it to the files. Just as you would do with the last few shells i have posted

I've seen this queston posted on a couple of threads and even once in this thread - but nobody ever answers it - and I'm blocked completely by it. Can anyone help?

I have successfully installed the BrazilMac Leo (10.5) on an ASUS P5W DH after partitioning/formatting the drive as GUID. I then followed the steps for patching the EFI using boot_v8 without any errors. When I ask it to reboot it simply returns the message that the ...BOOT.plist cannot be found. I have only rec'd this message if I partition GUID. If I partition MBR and use the BrazilMac post patch script it works fine but if I update to 10.5.1 then I have to impose the 10.5.0 kernel after updating to get it to work. I want to use the EFI patch so I don't have to worry about future updates from Apple hosing the kernel.

What have I missed here? Every post I read says the same thing and I never receive any errors during patching yet it never seems to work - I MUST be missing something?

Thanks guys - the work you have been doing on this is AMAZING!!

I have ToH DVD Leopard

I have 200GB HD

I have 500MB usb storage HFS with EFI Pack & pc_efi_v80

Is this the correct procediment?

1ST STEP

Boot with ToH DVD Leopard, open Disk Utils and have this partitions: (I have the possibility of use Disk Utils from Kalyway 10.4.10 DVD)

Create a GUID partition scheme

1. - 130GB HFS+ registry on

2.- 70GB NTFS

2ND STEP

Umount GUID partition <-- is this necessary?

Open Terminal

cd /Volumes/XTIC/EFI Pack

sh ./EFI.sh

reboot

**** modified content of EFI.sh ****

PATCH="/Volumes/xtic/EFI pack/pc_efi_v80" # path to EFI v 7.2

EFI="/dev/rdisk0s2" # the drive for EFI

DRIVE="/dev/disk0" # drive where EFI is

3ST STEP

Install ToH DVD Leopard in GUID partition

reboot

4TH STEP

Boot with ToH DVD Leopard

Umount GUID partition <-- is this necessary?

Open Terminal

cd /Volumes/XTIC/EFI Pack

sh ./postpatch.sh

reboot

**** modified content of postpatch.sh ****

PATCH="/Volumes/Macintosh HD/leopatch" # path to the patched extensions

LEO="/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD" # path to Leopard installation

5TH STEP

Run Leopard HD installation

Install Windows x64 using original Bootcamp? I don't watch original bootcamp running in original Macintosh

********************************************************************************

********************************************************************************

I probre this steps in my x86 compatible hardware (P5L-VM 1394 - Intel Core 2 Duo 6320 1,87Ghz - 1GB DDR2 667mhz - SATA 200GB - ALC883 - PCI Realtek 8139 - PCIX NVIDIA 7600GT GDDR2 256MB) - EFI IMPLEMENTATION OK, SYSTEM CRASH :-( - Problem using .SH scripts.

!!!!!!!!!! EFI.sh & POSTPATCH.sh DIND'T WORK FOR ME I HAVE LEOPARD IN /Volumes/Macintosh HD/ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EFI IMPLEMENTATION OK, SYSTEM CRASH

ERROR WITH ROUTES OF ARCHIVES WITH EFI.sh & POSPATCH.sh -- EFI manual implementation OK in GUID table, but POSTPATCH ERROR WITH ARCHIVE ROUTES, but I belive that the routes are OK.

==== |||||| Please explaint to me the post installation isntructions for my hardware & Leo ToH in GUID with EFI

I'm not sure if this is known or not but I have managed to dual boot with windows xp and OSX using windows bootloader to select the os. I am not sure if the first step is needed but I did it well I was trying to get the bootloader to work. First you have to set up your drive as a GUID/MBR hybrid (OSx uses GUID and XP uses the MBR but can only see the first 4 partitions) You can do this with gptsync the drive you are doing this on must not have any partitions mounted. Then when you are in windows replace the chain0 file with the boot0 file (I renamed mine chain0 but you could also setup the XP bootloader). That's it it should work.

Ok I just found this out the HTFS+ disk you want to boot has to be the first one according to your bios. Most bios's have an option to set boot order of hard disks.

I have ToH DVD LeopardI have 200GB HDI have 500MB usb storage HFS with EFI Pack & pc_efi_v80Is this the correct procediment?1ST STEP Boot with ToH DVD Leopard, open Disk Utils and have this partitions: (I have the possibility of use Disk Utils from Kalyway 10.4.10 DVD) Create a GUID partition scheme 1. - 130GB HFS+ registry on 2.- 70GB NTFS 2ND STEP Umount GUID partition <-- is this necessary? Open Terminal cd /Volumes/XTIC/EFI Pack sh ./EFI.sh reboot **** modified content of EFI.sh ****3ST STEP Install ToH DVD Leopard in GUID partition reboot4TH STEP Boot with ToH DVD Leopard Umount GUID partition <-- is this necessary? Open Terminal cd /Volumes/XTIC/EFI Pack sh ./postpatch.sh reboot **** modified content of postpatch.sh ****5TH STEP Run Leopard HD installation Install Windows x64 using original Bootcamp? I don't watch original bootcamp running in original Macintosh***********************************************************************

******* I probre this steps in my x86 compatible hardware (P5L-VM 1394 - Intel Core 2 Duo 6320 1,87Ghz - 1GB DDR2 667mhz - SATA 200GB - ALC883 - PCI Realtek 8139 - PCIX NVIDIA 7600GT GDDR2 256MB) - EFI IMPLEMENTATION OK, SYSTEM CRASH :-( - Problem using .SH scripts.!!!!!!!!!! EFI.sh & POSTPATCH.sh DIND'T WORK FOR ME I HAVE LEOPARD IN /Volumes/Macintosh HD/ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EFI IMPLEMENTATION OK, SYSTEM CRASHERROR WITH ROUTES OF ARCHIVES WITH EFI.sh & POSPATCH.sh -- EFI manual implementation OK in GUID table, but POSTPATCH ERROR WITH ARCHIVE ROUTES, but I belive that the routes are OK.==== |||||| Please explaint to me the post installation isntructions for my hardware & Leo ToH in GUID with EFI

You have to unmount when you install EFI, all the partitions but when post pathing you dont
When I start-up I get the message telling me to restart each time no matter what. I booted into verbose mode and I got this and it just hangs there..post-10098-1197218576_thumb.jpgWhat can I do to successfully boot and avoid the kernel panic?
Thats not a kernel panic

Hi i got leopard working via your guide...however when i tried to place the vanilla kexts in i ended up getting a backtrace error.

I used the Toh rc2 disc and did the efiv8 install. After wards when i was in leopard i copied the vnailla kexgts and kernel and chmod'd and chowned cleared the cache and restarted to get the error...

Is there smth i am missing? i also copied dsmos...

any help would be appreciated...

btw i have a c2d and p35 gigabyte ds3l

Hi i got leopard working via your guide...however when i tried to place the vanilla kexts in i ended up getting a backtrace error.

I used the Toh rc2 disc and did the efiv8 install. After wards when i was in leopard i copied the vnailla kexgts and kernel and chmod'd and chowned cleared the cache and restarted to get the error...

Is there smth i am missing? i also copied dsmos...

any help would be appreciated...

btw i have a c2d and p35 gigabyte ds3l

Use the original dsmos.kext the vanillia one maybe the problem