Guide+Support; to installing EFI v8+ dual booting(Pics)

i_am...me

454 posts in this topic

Thats not technically booting from the retail dvd.

There is a lot of threads about this im sure you can find it

Hi Thanks for replying. My question is after installing EFI and Leopard I do get Serial number and Model as Mac Pro.

But About this mac shows Processor as unKnown but with Correct Speed

Any Help ,Suggestions ?

thanks

post-76244-1197937365_thumb.jpg

I posted earlier about using Parallels to boot my second partition (VISTA) in a bootcamp like configuration. When the VM boots I get the error:

Boot from hard drive...

b0 error_

A couple of google searches brings up the following article related to the error but for Fedora instead of VISTA

5. After the smooth install process and rebooting I landed on a boot error at startup: saying “b0 error”. Turns out this simply means the newly installed partition hasn’t been marked as bootable. The error reminded me of when the MBR is currupted in Linux and LILO (an older style Linux boot loader) says: “LI” and then fails to boot! Anyway the simple solution to this was to boot OSX in single user mode (feels a bit like linux again) by booting off the install disk.

To do this:

Select “custom install” and then at the boot prompt type -s

Eventually you will arrive in a root shell (no password required? this is dodgy!)

Then type: fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (assuming /dev/rdisk0 is the disk you installed on)[/i][/i]

Obviously this solution won't work since I am using GUID and not MBR, but the solution to mark the Vista partition as bootable seems like a solution to the problem but a.) this might break something else and b.) I have not clue how to fix this using GUID (sorry I'm a GUID newb).

Anyone have ideas??? Below is a copy of diskutil list from my system

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *298.1 Gi disk0

1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS MAC 200.4 Gi disk0s2

3: Microsoft Basic Data 97.2 Gi disk0s3

W0lfm4n

I'm a bit confused about the install process. I have Tiger 10.4.10 THo working on my hackitosh, it's installed on a separate HD formatted as mbr. I have a couple of questions, please be gentle I'm new to this and find the language a bit cryptic.

When you say "boot into Tiger" to do the GUID conversion, are you meaning the HD I have Tiger on or from the DVD I used?

I'm using chain0 to select which OS to boot to, will this continue to work if I follow you installation guide.

I followed the instructions to the letter on an IBM Thinkpad X60. But after everything is done: EFI v8 install + Leopard install from ToH, the system does not boot up. If the DVD is present in drive it complains that com.apple.boot.plist not found. And if dvd is not there, then it starts of with grey apple screen and then comes up with a need to reboot screen. Any clues or suggestions as to what may be wrong?

SUCCESS! with TOH DVD :)

What I did:

1) boot from DVD

2) open Disk Utility

3) remove all partitions and create one, choice GUID

4) unmount partition

5) go to terminal

6) enter command diskutil list

bash-3.2# diskutil list

dev/disk0

0: GUID_partition_scheme *232.9 Gi disk0

2: Apple_HFS MacintoshHD 232.6 Gi disk0s2

edit EFI.sh

for me it was:

PATCH="/Volumes/NIKITA/EFI_Pack/EFI\ Pack/pc_efi_v80" # path to EFI v 7.2

EFI="/dev/rdisk0s2" # the drive for EFI

DRIVE="/dev/disk0" # drive where EFI is

7) run script

8) close terminal

9) install leopard

10) after instalation (when it says that it computer will reboot) open terminal

11) edit postpatch.sh

PATCH="/Volumes/NIKITA/EFI_Pack/EFI\ Pack/leopatch" # path to the patched extensions

LEO="/Volumes/MacintoshHD" # path to Leopard installation

12) run script and close terminal

13)reboot

14)boot from your HDD you should see Welcome screen

15)after you are logged in place NVinject.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ folder and set permissions

16) reboot :)

Huge thanks to i_am....me and other guys who are posting their instalation expierence. It helps a lot. I hope my steps will help to someone.

PS: just installed update, rebooted and everything is working. Didn't replace any kext or kernel :)

post-59109-1198006263_thumb.png

hey everyone. I've now successfully installed EFI + 10.5.1 on a desktop (Intel 945, IDE, GMA950).

I am now trying to install on my laptop (Intel 945 mobile, SATA). I was getting the infinite boot loop. I dont have any options for AHCI. Also, when running in verbose mode, if error comes up, the computer reboots before I have time to see what it said. On a whim, I disabled the second core, and sure enough, leopard booted up!

Any ideas on why the second core would cause the problem? I realize this is a hardware issue, and not an EFI issue, but maybe the kexts and instructions listed here can help.

thanks

SUCCESS! with TOH DVD :unsure:

What I did:

1) boot from DVD

2) open Disk Utility

3) remove all partitions and create one, choice GUID

4) unmount partition

5) go to terminal

6) enter command diskutil list

bash-3.2# diskutil list

dev/disk0

0: GUID_partition_scheme *232.9 Gi disk0

2: Apple_HFS MacintoshHD 232.6 Gi disk0s2

edit EFI.sh

for me it was:

PATCH="/Volumes/NIKITA/EFI_Pack/EFI\ Pack/pc_efi_v80" # path to EFI v 7.2

EFI="/dev/rdisk0s2" # the drive for EFI

DRIVE="/dev/disk0" # drive where EFI is

7) run script

8) close terminal

9) install leopard

10) after instalation (when it says that it computer will reboot) open terminal

11) edit postpatch.sh

PATCH="/Volumes/NIKITA/EFI_Pack/EFI\ Pack/leopatch" # path to the patched extensions

LEO="/Volumes/MacintoshHD" # path to Leopard installation

12) run script and close terminal

13)reboot

14)boot from your HDD you should see Welcome screen

15)after you are logged in place NVinject.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ folder and set permissions

16) reboot ;)

Huge thanks to i_am....me and other guys who are posting their instalation expierence. It helps a lot. I hope my steps will help to someone.

PS: just installed update, rebooted and everything is working. Didn't replace any kext or kernel :help:

I followed everything stated on the first post and this one, but i cant seem to boot using the GUID option. I don't know what is wrong. I am using an IntelD945GCCR Mobo, PentiumD proc with 2Gb RAM and 110GbSata0 and 250GbSata1. After applying the patch, i tried to reboot using the drive where i installed the EFI patch but all i got is a blinking cursor key. Is there any workaround in this? I have a fully functional Leopard running on MBR using BrazilMac's DVD and patch.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Coelacanth

I posted earlier about using Parallels to boot my second partition (VISTA) in a bootcamp like configuration. When the VM boots I get the error:

Boot from hard drive...

b0 error_

A couple of google searches brings up the following article related to the error but for Fedora instead of VISTA

5. After the smooth install process and rebooting I landed on a boot error at startup: saying "b0 error". Turns out this simply means the newly installed partition hasn't been marked as bootable. The error reminded me of when the MBR is currupted in Linux and LILO (an older style Linux boot loader) says: "LI" and then fails to boot! Anyway the simple solution to this was to boot OSX in single user mode (feels a bit like linux again) by booting off the install disk.

To do this:

Select "custom install" and then at the boot prompt type -s

Eventually you will arrive in a root shell (no password required? this is dodgy!)

Then type: fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (assuming /dev/rdisk0 is the disk you installed on)[/i][/i]

Obviously this solution won't work since I am using GUID and not MBR, but the solution to mark the Vista partition as bootable seems like a solution to the problem but a.) this might break something else and b.) I have not clue how to fix this using GUID (sorry I'm a GUID newb).

Anyone have ideas??? Below is a copy of diskutil list from my system

0: GUID_partition_scheme *298.1 Gi disk0

2: Apple_HFS MAC 200.4 Gi disk0s2

3: Microsoft Basic Data 97.2 Gi disk0s3

W0lfm4n

Same issue here, at the moment is the only drawback comparing to MBR system

I have Dual Xeon

Installed BrasilMac

Got sound working - Sigmatel 9200

Got network and wireless working

Got video working great

iLive 08 - Great

CS3 - Great

No crashes. Just like a MacPro

Installed in MBR sata disk

I wish I could make PC EFI working too.

But as I understand I would need to format, partition as GUID and start all over again, right?

Is there any other way?

Thanks

I have Dual Xeon

Installed BrasilMac

Got sound working - Sigmatel 9200

Got network and wireless working

Got video working great

iLive 08 - Great

CS3 - Great

No crashes. Just like a MacPro

Installed in MBR sata disk

I wish I could make PC EFI working too.

But as I understand I would need to format, partition as GUID and start all over again, right?

Is there any other way?

Thanks

pc_efi v8 works on both MBR and GUID, therefore no need for starting it all again

Method Number 2: Starting with out Tiger or Leopard.

This way is the same as you would post patch BrazilMac's leopard if you didnt have another tiger install.

Obtain the EFI file its now up to v8

Format your usb drive as FAT or FAT32 and Name it sumthing easy you can remember for this example im using 123.

Do all the same steps as follows above except do them in the leopard/tiger install DVD.

After you completed making them GUID even if you are in the install DVD you still need to unmount the partition so do so. When you enter the lines in terminal type this instead of whats above.

cd /Volumes/123/pc_efi_v72
./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8
dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1
dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

You can then continue to install leopard or tiger.

Would it be possible to use this method PLUS this method:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

Which would basically be to add this code at some point:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages
open osinstall.mpkg

"Mac" would be the retail Leopard DVD.

Then delete AppleEFIRuntime.kext

Then copy AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext to the extensions folder

Then I assume do the permissions/delete kext caches bit.

(This was from Karaakeha1's thread)

And of course any hardware specific stuff.

But basically, I really want to do this with the retail disc.

Has anyone done it this way?

Yeah, thanks from me too, got my Kalyway Leo install working sweet thanks to this guide.

For info, I had a Jas 10.4.8 running nice on HD 1. Installed Kalway using the first method of this guide on a seperate empty HD 2 (using the pre-patch disk utility + terminal method in Tiger). Once everything was working on the new Leo drive, all I had to do was use the Migration Assistant to transfer my account details from the Tiger drive. Once everything was transferred, I deleted the first Leo account, now it's just like it was in Tiger, 'cept it's in Leopard. Which is nice.

Yeah, thanks from me too, got my Kalyway Leo install working sweet thanks to this guide.

For info, I had a Jas 10.4.8 running nice on HD 1. Installed Kalway using the first method of this guide on a seperate empty HD 2 (using the pre-patch disk utility + terminal method in Tiger). Once everything was working on the new Leo drive, all I had to do was use the Migration Assistant to transfer my account details from the Tiger drive. Once everything was transferred, I deleted the first Leo account, now it's just like it was in Tiger, 'cept it's in Leopard. Which is nice.

with the new kalyway 10.5.1 one doesn't even need to prepare the HD. It's all done in the installation.

with the new kalyway 10.5.1 one doesn't even need to prepare the HD. It's all done in the installation.

Yeah, I tried a few times to install without this pre-patching malarky, but no joy (both MBR and GUID, kernel selections attempted...). Don't know why it didn't work as supposed, I can only suggest this method for those who might have similar installation issues.

Does anyone know if the original Tiger/Leopard used to execute and install those scripts will be destroyed?

I am writing this guide first for those who have an external partition and a tiger and/or leopard dvd to work with, I will re write this tomorrow afternoon for people that dont have tiger or leopard. Only continue with this guide if you are ok with not having and other partitions besides HFS+ ones, dual booting is coming soon be patient

What are the benefits of GUID?

With a GUID partition scheme you can shrink your main hd add a partition, decide you dont need that partition anymore and delete then expand your main partition back to the way it was. You also get better system performance, not by alot but it is noticeable

First to start to start of off make sure you can boot in to the external HD and tiger is running ok.

If you have a BadAxe2 use This Guide Written By BJMoose

Method Number 1: The easier way

Now we will begin....

-You will want to back up any important files that are on your hard drive before hand. EVERY thing is going to be gone.

-Boot in to Tiger and go a head and open disk utility, click your hard drive you are makeing a GUID then click the partition tab Click the drop down menu and click 1 Partition then click options, Select the GUID partition Table- Used to start up Intel Macintosh's... it will do its work..

6kkcbdd.jpg

86px08p.jpg

6yzjfjr.jpg

-Get the EFI v8 from The link at the bottom...

-From disk utility get the disk id's DONT ASSUME THEM WITH A GUID PARTITION TABLE THEY CHANGE!

mine is disk0s2

6utrqc0.jpg

-Unmount the partition(s) from disk utility then open terminal and type the commands as follows or use the shell below:

834507l.jpg

6kg9o29.jpg

sudo -s
*password*
cd /Users/XXX/Desktop/pc_efi_v80
*at this point make sure all partitions are unmounted*

-After that you partition(s) should show up on the finder. Reboot to test and see if it was a success, it will say sys config com.apple.boot.plist not found or sumthing similar.

-Go Ahead and install as you normally would. EFI is installed still so you dont have to do any post patching!

Reminder:*Do not mess with boot flags with parted magic gparted or anything. EFI uses different little partitions to boot if you noticed there are 2 "Unallocated Space" that is really were all the EFI stuff and GUID things are held DONT MESS WITH THEM!*

Any help Post here or PM me.

Method Number 2: Starting with out Tiger or Leopard.

This way is the same as you would post patch BrazilMac's leopard if you didnt have another tiger install.

Obtain the EFI file its now up to v8

Format your usb drive as FAT or FAT32 and Name it sumthing easy you can remember for this example im using 123.

Do all the same steps as follows above except do them in the leopard/tiger install DVD.

After you completed making them GUID even if you are in the install DVD you still need to unmount the partition so do so. When you enter the lines in terminal type this instead of whats above.

cd /Volumes/123/pc_efi_v72

You can then continue to install leopard or tiger.

Dual-Booting...(Boot Camp, I_am...me's way)

With EFI V8.0 you can now boot NTFS and FAT32 Partitions. So after you get EFI v8 working you can go ahead and install windows, but only x64 XP or vista( :) guess its better than nuthing...) will work, since those are the only ones that have EFI support.

Simply take advantage of Disk Utilities Partitioner and make at least a 5gb partition first formatted with Mac OS Ext.( if you get failing while partitioning reboot in single user mode and type the first line it says i beileve it is /sbin/fsck -fy and that will repair the disk and try partitioning again) after it is done exit out of disk utility and open it back up and click your new "Boot camp" partition and erase it and format it with MS-DOS(FAT) keep its name boot camp.Insert your install disk reboot and start installing you can re format the partition in vista to NTFS it wont hurt anything. After its done redo this command.

Now you have boot camp i_am...me's way! but you cant set vista to be the default OS...

UPDATE: Added a .zip with all the essentials, updated EFI.sh and v8.0 of PC_EFI

Now includes a post patch! it has some modified kexts and some vanilla it has the vanilla kernel and paulicats Natit simply edit the .sh then place them on ur thumb drive and run the .sh

Links:

RapidShare

Z-Share

Media Fire

Mega Upload

Badongo

BEFORE YOU POST

I find that me and others are answering the same question over and over and over again.

Before you post your problem

Make sure you did the guide correctly and didnt miss a step.

If you are having boot problems and it just sits at the apple logo, start in verbose mode and see if you can trouble shoot it your self

If you are getting kernel panics. Do as i said above

If it says waiting on root device, thats a hardware problem and has nuthing to do EFI.

I just installed pc_efi v8 and I am now getting a kernel panic.

Leopard was already installed in a MBR partition.

Network, sound, video, ilife, all running flawlessly.

So as have learned with version 8 it wouldn't be necessary to repartition to GUID, I could just apply PC_EFI 8, so did it.

What I did was...

./startupfiletool ./dev/rdisk0s1 ./boot_v8

and replace AppleSMBIOS.kext from Brazilmac with the one in PC_EFI v8 package.

Am i missing something?

Is there a way fix it, or to go back to original state.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Vista already installed in a seperate disk

Dell Precision 690

dual Xeon 2GHz

6GB RAM

Sigmatel 9200 - working

wireless - working

post-158406-1198464778_thumb.jpg

I just installed pc_efi v8 and I am now getting a kernel panic.

Leopard was already installed in a MBR partition.

Network, sound, video, ilife, all running flawlessly.

So as have learned with version 8 it wouldn't be necessary to repartition to GUID, I could just apply PC_EFI 8, so did it.

What I did was...

./startupfiletool ./dev/rdisk0s1 ./boot_v8

and replace AppleSMBIOS.kext from Brazilmac with the one in PC_EFI v8 package.

Am i missing something?

Is there a way fix it, or to go back to original state.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Vista already installed in a seperate disk

Dell Precision 690

dual Xeon 2GHz

6GB RAM

Sigmatel 9200 - working

wireless - working

I have said this many many many times its even in the first post, about 90% of the time the kernel panic will tell you whats causing it to panic look under backtrace... It says AppleEFIRuntime

Delete that kext

I have said this many many many times its even in the first post, about 90% of the time the kernel panic will tell you whats causing it to panic look under backtrace... It says AppleEFIRuntime

Delete that kext

Thanks i_am...me

Sorry about that. Damn Noobes ;)

I got further in the booting process, it was halting during the "network adapter wake" (Broadcom 57xx) so I deleted the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.

Now it stops at the message on the screen below but no kernel panic.

Any solution for that?

Thanks again.

post-158406-1198497796_thumb.jpg