Guide+Support; to installing EFI v8+ dual booting(Pics)

i_am...me

454 posts in this topic

ok think i need some help :)

i followed the guide.

have already vista running on 1 disk and on a second wanted to install the leopard toh.

booted the disc, made the guid partition.

then i did in terminal:

cd /Volumes/mac/pc_efi_v80

./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk1s2 ./boot_v7_guid_only

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2 bs=512 count=1

here i did: umount /dev/Leopard

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk1 bs=400 count=1

wich is good in case of my setup cause vista is on disk0s1

installed leo. then booted straight to vista and set bcd to make new entry for leo.

now when i choose leo to boot i get the error:

chain booting error.

did i do something wrong or what i want does not work?

the partitions look good on my disc.

and vista still boots :)

nobody knows?

Do you have an admin password?

Thanks for getting back to me...

Yes, I do have an admin password. I was logged in as an admin also. If it matters, I also checked to see my permissions for the folder and the containing files. All had read /write. I also tried chmod 777. The only time I was promted for a password was after sudo -s.

Also, I get the "permission denied" error when I run your shell file.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks again.

Thanks for getting back to me...

Yes, I do have an admin password. I was logged in as an admin also. If it matters, I also checked to see my permissions for the folder and the containing files. All had read /write. I also tried chmod 777. The only time I was promted for a password was after sudo -s.

Also, I get the "permission denied" error when I run your shell file.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks again.

reset permissions. chmod -R 755 + chown -R root:wheel

or try the new updated one i have up

i just reinstalled everything

followed ur guide exactly.

this time i used efi v7_guid_only

and once installed i replaced dsmos.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext and removed cpuprwmngmnt

i still boot and get to the apple loading and the stop sign thing

should i replace mach kernel or something?

@i am me

is there any way i could chat with you? irc or msn, if you could.

i feel like im doing something wrong but according to your guide im not.

OS X needs to be the default..

nah format, reinstall leo on mbr style and then it will work also with v5 efi :)

or i could swap drives, disconnect my vista, install osx with bootloader, then add my current vista to secondary sata and add it in the osx loader? might also work?

i just reinstalled everythingfollowed ur guide exactly. this time i used efi v7_guid_onlyand once installed i replaced dsmos.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext and removed cpuprwmngmnti still boot and get to the apple loading and the stop sign thingshould i replace mach kernel or something?@i am meis there any way i could chat with you? irc or msn, if you could.i feel like im doing something wrong but according to your guide im not.
ATM im going to bed. ill be on irc tomorrow. same user name as here
nah format, reinstall leo on mbr style and then it will work also with v5 efi :) or i could swap drives, disconnect my vista, install osx with bootloader, then add my current vista to secondary sata and add it in the osx loader? might also work?
Im not sure if that will work. you can do it though the BIOS

Hi everybody, I installed MacOSX exactly in the way as describted.

My problem is, that OSX is booting, but with -s I can see that my guid partition is read only. Booting stops in the middle...When I mount it in tiger I can write without problems to this partition.

mount-uw comand didn´t help. What can I do ?

reset permissions. chmod -R 755 + chown -R root:wheel

or try the new updated one i have up

Thanks I_am...me, your suggestion worked. After editing the disk and partition values, your script ran through without errors. Maybe I am missing a step that I should have known without instruction, but when I reboot and try to install to my external, it says the drive has to be an apple partition. Am I supposed to add another partition, or does this information tell me that I didnt install EFI correctly?

Thanks. Also, are you taking donations for all your work?

sudo -s
*password*
cd /Users/XXX/Desktop/pc_efi_v72
./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v7_guid_only
dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1
*at this point make sure all partitions are unmounted*
dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

-After that you partition(s) should show up on the finder. Reboot to test and see if it was a success, it will say sys config com.apple.boot.plist not found or sumthing similar.

-Go Ahead and install as you normally would. EFI is installed still so you dont have to do any post patching!

Reminder:*Do not mess with boot flags with parted magic gparted or anything. EFI uses different little partitions to boot if you noticed there are 2 "Unallocated Space" that is really were all the EFI stuff and GUID things are held DONT MESS WITH THEM!*

Any help Post here or PM me.

Method Number 2: Starting with out Tiger or Leopard.

This way is the same as you would post patch BrazilMac's leopard if you didnt have another tiger install.

Obtain the EFI file its now up to v8

Format your usb drive as FAT or FAT32 and Name it sumthing easy you can remember for this example im using 123.

Do all the same steps as follows above except do them in the leopard/tiger install DVD.

After you completed making them GUID even if you are in the install DVD you still need to unmount the partition so do so. When you enter the lines in terminal type this instead of whats above.

cd /Volumes/123/pc_efi_v72
./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v7_guid_only
dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1
dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

You can then continue to install leopard or tiger.

i just want to make sure i understand this part of your guide...

you are telling us to create the GUID partition run the code above and then install Leo or Tiger?

Hi, i appreciate that you make such a good explained guide, but i wondered why you don't explain why you are talking about exactly..I don't know what is new in EFI v8, there have been so much releases in a short time with EFI, so it's pretty confusing. You could explain what's new, and can you confirm that the rumor about the Boot Camp interface is fake etc. ?

Thank you

-Nitra

I think i_am...me has done an excellent job of explaining anything that people have asked about and updating the original post. In a hobbyist forum like this, a thread that answered every question about every possibility would be hundreds of pages long. There are several other threads out there that can devote full time to some of the ancillary issues.

I think i_am...me has done an excellent job of explaining anything that people have asked about and updating the original post. In a hobbyist forum like this, a thread that answered every question about every possibility would be hundreds of pages long. There are several other threads out there that can devote full time to some of the ancillary issues.

I understand your point of view, but I disagree. To a noob, there isnt a way to know if something is "ancillary" or not. My question was in direct reference to the steps described in the original post.

However, I did find the answer. I was using a PPC mac to do the installation on the GUID partitioned drive. This throws the error "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume...". I found that "Apple_partition_scheme" is for PPC and "GUID_partition_scheme" is for Intel. So maybe the instructions in the first post can be edited to include this information.

If your Stuck @ the blinking cursor... Look here problem is youl only now be stuck at the spinning apple logo after fixing this if you made the same mistake as me.

For everyone with Blinking cursor error I JUST figured it out. You might want to update your guide I_am me.

Change this part of your guide to what I have below:

-From disk utility get the disk id's DONT ASSUME THEM WITH A GUID PARTITION TABLE THEY CHANGE! mine is disk0s2

Instead of going to diskutility gui go to terminal and type diskutil list Your disks will show here (including the hidden ones AKA EFI).

Pay attention to the disk called EFI 200.0 MI THAT DRIVE needs to be in the field "drive where EFI is" "The drive for EFI" is your boot partition where leo will be installed.

I_am me you should rename these fields they are very confusing. I have spent an entire day spinning my wheels on this and it was only 1 disk slice off.

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I also had to do this to get the partitions activatied:

* Unmount your Leopard partition before you do anything else - either by going into disk utility and pressing the unmount button or by running “diskutil unmount /dev/diskXsx” replacing diskXsx with the disk and partition number where Leopard is installed.

* Run “fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX” where X is our disk number

* Run update

* Run flag 1

* Run w

* Run q

That gets me to the apple logo spinning forever. Still lost. Tried everything. Not sure what to do next.

If your Stuck @ the blinking cursor... Look hereFor everyone with Blinking cursor error I JUST figured it out. You might want to update your guide I_am me.Change this part of your guide to what I have below:-From disk utility get the disk id's DONT ASSUME THEM WITH A GUID PARTITION TABLE THEY CHANGE! mine is disk0s2Instead of going to diskutility gui go to terminal and type diskutil list Your disks will show here (including the hidden ones AKA EFI).Pay attention to the disk called EFI 200.0 MI THAT DRIVE needs to be in the field "drive where EFI is" "The drive for EFI" is your boot partition where leo will be installed. I_am me you should rename these fields they are very confusing. I have spent an entire day spinning my wheels on this and it was only 1 disk slice off. AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Im not sure what your insinuating..this part is incorrect
Pay attention to the disk called EFI 200.0 MI THAT DRIVE needs to be in the field "drive where EFI is" "The drive for EFI" is your boot partition where leo will be installed.
since my ID were Leopard was going was disk0s2, my drive where EFI is going is disk0. if you pay attention to the guide you can see in the command it says "diskX" and no Y after it. that may have been your problem.
Hi, i appreciate that you make such a good explained guide, but i wondered why you don't explain why you are talking about exactly..I don't know what is new in EFI v8, there have been so much releases in a short time with EFI, so it's pretty confusing. You could explain what's new, and can you confirm that the rumor about the Boot Camp interface is fake etc. ?Thank you-Nitra
Go to https://netkas.org this is a guide to install it not to understand it
i just want to make sure i understand this part of your guide...you are telling us to create the GUID partition run the code above and then install Leo or Tiger?
Read the whole guide

Hey,

i've followed you guide...i restarted the laptop and i get the press and hold the button to restart your machine sign...

i found a sample image of the error on the net...an ideas what the problem might be?

pict0017lo8.jpg

Hey,

i've followed you guide...i restarted the laptop and i get the press and hold the button to restart your machine sign...

i found a sample image of the error on the net...an ideas what the problem might be?

pict0017lo8.jpg

It might be the AppleEFIRuntime.kext delete it.

Start with -v and take a screen shot so we can help you better

;)

It might be the AppleEFIRuntime.kext delete it.

Start with -v and take a screen shot so we can help you better

Hey,

i search for that AppleEFIRuntime.kext and couldn't find it...where is this kext supposed to be?

ok, i found it, i deleted like you said...and it now boots, but it hangs on setup and goes back to the welcome movie....over and over...

i didn't boot with -v at the begining i have a laptop and the only way is to use the dvd...

any way to know what could be wrong without the screenshot?

thanks for your fast response...

;)

Hey,

i search for that AppleEFIRuntime.kext and couldn't find it...where is this kext supposed to be?

ok, i found it, i deleted like you said...and it now boots, but it hangs on setup and goes back to the welcome movie....over and over...

i didn't boot with -v at the begining i have a laptop and the only way is to use the dvd...

any way to know what could be wrong without the screenshot?

thanks for your fast response...

Are you using brazil mac?

If you are his newest patches have a problem where they make the video loop, his first ones didnt. i have them if you want em

Im not sure what your insinuating..this part is incorrect since my ID were Leopard was going was disk0s2, my drive where EFI is going is disk0. if you pay attention to the guide you can see in the command it says "diskX" and no Y after it. that may have been your problem.Go to https://netkas.org this is a guide to install it not to understand itRead the whole guide

Ok you were right. So Sorry. I thought it was supposed to directly target the EFI partition.

So I reinstalled again and its really close now. I am stuck at the apple logo spinning around and around and it never loads. Could it be the AppleSMBIOS.kext that freezes it here? IT has to be something before the video driver because my natit.kext loads right after this point at the blue screen. So I'm really close to booting guid.

Can you help me? I ran -v -x and dont see anything relavent there. What would you suggest?

Ok you were right. So Sorry. I thought it was supposed to directly target the EFI partition.

So I reinstalled again and its really close now. I am stuck at the apple logo spinning around and around and it never loads. Could it be the AppleSMBIOS.kext that freezes it here? IT has to be something before the video driver because my natit.kext loads right after this point at the blue screen. So I'm really close to booting guid.

Can you help me? I ran -v -x and dont see anything relavent there. What would you suggest?

Where does it stop?