Official mac.nub 10.4.10 Intel ONLY x86 Install DVD v1, Rev. 5 [EN] - Discussion Thread

mac.nub

722 posts in this topic

Hi peops.

First post and only after I cannot work this one out myself :)

Just installed the mac.nub 10.4.10 V1 R5 DVD. No problems as such expect 8600 GT only works in Vesa mode.

My problem is that the CPU sounds like its maxed out all the time. This is frustrating since the CPU fan, under load, is quite loud until I can get a better one. How then, can I resolve this please? Or rather, how can I quieten my CPU?

Did i miss something during install?

I have an Asus P5ND2-SLI running P4 3.0Ghz (HT) if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Great job mac.nub best distro yet! :)

Nemi - You defineatly should not run your computer for a long time if it is going at 100%, it'll fry your chip, espically with air cooling.

IMHERETOSTAY - Can you tell us what the message says when it hangs? If it says something like "still finding root device" then you need to goto your bios and change the drive type to ACHI. It's on the first page menu.

Ok, I activated ahci mode! I installed os x without any problems, but at the end, I restart but I can't boot to desktop... In acronis boot manager, there are 2 new partitions there... 1 that says HFS+ partition error when I select it and the other that says Remove disks or other media, press any key to restart... And then there is vista... i can't boot in vista when I'm in ahci mode and I don't know why...

BTW, thanks for your help!!!

edit: Damn, my partition was not a primary one... acronis is doing it right now, will see later if it was the problem!

I tested it on a Sony Vaio VGN FS620/W and it worked. Of course that was after 2 attempts. The first problem encountered was booting from the DVD. It would just hang at a blue screen. This looked familiar to me so I did the paper clip trick on my VGA out, rebooted and it continued. 2nd problem was after going through the installation, system would not boot from hard drive. Rebooted with DVD, went back in to Disk Utility and chose the MBR option when partitioning the hard drive. Went through the installer again and everything came up. I even ran the software update and all is good.

Nice job.

Mac.nub... I have a problem. :)

I burned the image to a blank DVD, booted up from the disk, and got to the installation part...but part-way through the installation of the base system, it tells me to "Try Installing Again" and I have never been able to move any farther from that.

I've tried Upgrading it from my old MAC OS X (10.4.7), and have also tried Installing it on a clean Partition, but neither has seemed to work. I also got the exact same thing when I tried to Upgrade from 10.4.7 to 10.4.8 (and to 10.4.9 being curious).

Can you help me???

Thanks!

I can't get my computer to boot into OSX. It installs and shows a glimpse of the apple screen and reboots. It's an endless cycle. I managed to get the apple screen to load up once, but after the wheel spun for about 30 seconds, I got a circle with a diagonal line through it, like on a no smoking sign. I reinstalled and can't even get that far again.

I'm using an ECS P4M890T-M2 board with a Core 2 Duo E6400 1.86 Ghz processor. The board supports SATA, but I'm not using any SATA drives. They're the kind with the flat ribbon cables (ATA, i think?).

Here's a link to my motherboard's specs: ECS P4M890T-M2

I'm installing it on it's own drive, so there's no Windows involved.

I've been at this for hours and have tired different driver combinations and they've all done the same thing. I've not yet tried using any other kernels, though.

Any ideas? Anyone else had this problem?

There is something hinky with this build. No matter what I do, within 2-3 reboots the system starts to kernel panic and re-installing achieves the same result over and over again.

Sometimes I can get the mac.nub 10.4.10 to install OK, but it's not stable I'm afraid.

edit: I think it might be the HPET 'kernel panic' fix installed by default as it's no use for a Core Solo or Core Duo processor which do have that feature. Whatever it is, it looks to be one of the default installed items to affect so many people.

Good work mac.nub!

Got Airport, bluetooth, ethernet, CI&QE, all installed PCI cards, System profiler and no crashes!

And I noticed that this build of 10.4.10 is the one with the most correct extension dependancies! Way to go!

Some minor problems though.

- System Preferences freeze when I click on Date & Time while I'm connected to the internet. If I disconnect my router, it works fine. Maybe the problem is related to the date&time check from the apple server. Tried all 3 of them.

-Dictionary

-ALC888 didn't work although I had checked the right box during installation.

I'll try to install Logic Pro and Pro Tools tomorrow, see if they work properly. I'll report back.

In the meanwhile, what should I do to get date & time fixed?

thank you mac.nub!

EDIT

Time and date is now working - after a reboot. This build is one of the best for my config. running kernel 8.10.3.

I don't care about dictionary, never used and never will :) and regarding alc888... I have 3 external audio devices attached, I don't care. This build is going to STAY.

mac.nub you're the best.-

post-12364-1193543202_thumb.jpg

I fixed my continuous reboot problem by installing the 8.9.1 (universal) 8th July kernel. The 8.10.1 and 8.10.3 kernels didn't work for me. Just thought I'd share.

My next problem is that QE/CI is not enabled. I have a radeon x1600pro with the Natit x1600 kext installed, but it says QE/CI is not enabled. Should I try another driver or does it just not work on this card?

My next problem is that QE/CI is not enabled. I have a radeon x1600pro with the Natit x1600 kext installed, but it says QE/CI is not enabled. Should I try another driver or does it just not work on this card?

Try Callisto 08, that works for my x1600 AGP card.

Success story over here (see setup in my sig):

Checked during install:

8.10.3 kernel

Sigmatel 9220 Audio

AppleIntel8255x

NVInject

Issues:

Audio works, but sometimes isn't detected and I have to do a full restart to get i back (that has happened with every 10.4.10 version I've tried, so nothing new here). Ethernet got detected, but couldn't get it working (no attached cable message). Reinstaled my previous IONetworkingFamiliy and problem fixed. I had a hard time tryi'n to get FCS 6 working, until replacing AppleSMBios with 1.0.6 did the trick.

Pros:

Pretty damn fast, rock solid. Installed a ton of software; CS3, lots of web developement tools, Office 2008 beta, etc etc and no problems at all besides the FCS thingy. So far so good, overall a great installer, I'm really happy with it.

Mac.nub, I'm really grateful for all your hard work, it's doubtlessly the best Tiger installer I've used. Thanks a lot dude!

I fixed my continuous reboot problem by installing the 8.9.1 (universal) 8th July kernel. The 8.10.1 and 8.10.3 kernels didn't work for me. Just thought I'd share.

Interesting, trying now. So far my only success is to install via VMware as native DVD boot is borked.

I think you may be on to something there, as I have always had best success with the 8.9.1. kernels, although they won't perform quite as well as the newer releases. I will say though, once installed it's a very fast release.