Official mac.nub 10.4.10 Intel ONLY x86 Install DVD v1, Rev. 5 [EN] - Discussion Thread

mac.nub

722 posts in this topic

ok here is the story how i got it worked

1. checked the file i've downloaded(google MDchecker)

2. burned it to dvd+-r(not rw) at lowest speed

3. installed on ide hdd(i have sata hdd and sata2 hdd - neither of them would boot with ide dvd)

4. when i got to "choose directory" window went to utility panel select "disk utility" created partition (in my case mac journ..works with 10.4.10 others work with 10.4.8, 10.4.9, but 10.4.10 - KP)

5. start installation.

6. UNCHECK EVERYTHING!!! then carefully select options you really need: main install, of course, correct sse patch, correct kernel (mine patch was the latest for ss3 and kernel 8.10.3 - all others led to panic), then sata patch but NOT GRAPHIC for now!

7. install, reboot, add needed kexts one by one.

i have

asus p5gd1pro(915)

p4 520@2.8

EN8800gts 320

works: network card, sound-out(in does not, didn't work before)

installing any kext for video led to KP, black screen, blue screen, even greish-blue screen :D

installing with "wrong" kernel - window with "bla-bla-bla can't find achi please restart" on all languages or black screen or even didn't boot at all

in 2 days i did more than 20 clean installations, updates and crazy dancing around and finaly it almost works(except the main feature - 8800 support. even bought yesterday new 8800 card!)

hope this will be helpful

ps we should make HCL list for this release

After reading lots of topics, i have ordered some hardware:

Pentium Q6600, Gigabyte P35-DS4, 2x2gb ddr2 800, Sapphire X1950GT 512mb, Maxtor SATA 500gb

This would be my first ''mac''.

I would like to try the mac.nub 10.4.10 install dvd, :D

Can someone tell me which drivers i need to select in the installation.

Thanx, :D

Rob

[n00b]

(sorry for my worse english)

I fixed this on my system just a few minutes ago. Unfortunately, I don't have any specific step by step instructions.

Things I deleted/replaced:

/Library/Dictionaries/* (tried versions from 10.4.8) No change.

Removed ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.HIToolbox.* Was recreated and not fixed yet.

Removed and reinstalled Dictionary.app via pacifist from 10.4.10 mac.nub DVD. No fix.

Used pacifist to replace /System/Library/Components/DictionaryService.component with version from 10.4.8 DVD.

Used apcifist to install /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/LangAnalysis.framework/Versions/A/Support found on 10.4.8 DVD that was not on 10.4.10 DVD.

Rebooted and I think it worked at this point. So, I started replacing things I touched using pacifist and the 10.4.10 mac.nub DVD.

I removed the the Support the Support directory I installed and this broke Dictionary.app but not the same way as originally. Now, there was a yellow triangle ! icon next to search box. And application took a long time to start with the beach ball going on several times.

I replaced he Support directory again and Dictionary app works correctly again.

So, I am suspecting that due to the missing Support directory things never got initialized properly.

At any rate, the missing Support directory is needed by Dictionary.app and with that missing, I don't think the DirectoryService.component code ran.

Hopefully, some OS X gurus here can take my experience and know exactly what the cause is/was and provide simple accurate instructions to fix.

I now have a working Dictionary.app, a working widget, a working contextual menu item/keyboard shortcut.

I hope this is helpful.

Jeff

Jeff, for future installs, just to save yourself some trouble, it is the support folder (actually, the lack thereof) that is causing the dictionary problem in Mac.Nub's installer (might be the same for XxX also, but I haven't checked that out yet). Without making any of the other changes you made, if you just copied that 'support' folder to its proper location using pacifist, you will have your functioning dictionary. Of course, if you have another disk with either JaS or Kalyway installed, you could just navigate to the proper directory and after authenticating, just copy it to its corresponding Mac.Nub directory, repair permissions and reboot.

I've already customized my Mac.Nub install disk with a separate folder containing that support folder and several other programs, kexts etc. that I find useful. Hope this helps simplify things.

Help - P5W DH Deluxe ...

I have read all the posts and although one guy says he has had success with his Asus P5W DH Deluxe mobo, after several installs I am not so lucky! I can get a safe boot only, normal boot hangs.

I have the Sapphire x1950xt Video card on an Asus P5W DH Deluxe mobo.

If anyone else with similar hardware can tell me options to select, I would really appreciate it.

Perhaps a new thread of working mobo/video card combinations and what options used to install would be very useful.

Thanks mac.nub for a super effort ! :P

Dear mac.nub,

thanks for your effort. My system is configured as in my signature, and I managed to make a fresh install of your release on a dedicated PATA disk.

The installation runs smoothly. I chose the following modules:

nForce SATA (which works also for MCP55 PATA with the usual PCI ID hack); ATI x19x0; Azalia Audio; PCGeneric Realtek8139 (for my additional Network card); 8.10.1 + System.kext + dsmos.kext; 8.10.1 nForce (Intel), and the other patches for nvidia chipsets.

When I reboot with -v the kernel loads successfully, but right after the video card is recognized and set up, the following errors show up several times:

kextd_watch_volumes:couldn't set up diskarb sessions
  IoKitWaitQuiet() timed out
  giving up on diskarb; auto-rebuild disabled

After this last message the system seems to "hang" although there are infrequent accesses to the drive. So I'm stuck. Any suggestions?

ok so i have installed it all now then it says its gonna restart and it does i assume i remove the dvd now and it just goes to boot from cd.........

and nothing happens

have i done something wrong?

Unfortunately, you kinda have to boot from the DVD. Once MAC OSX is completely up and running, you can remove it, but unless your computer is a mind-reader...for now at least, you need to boot from the disk. :)

So very excited to hear that people are getting this to work. I too have an 8800GTS so i will try this out. If anyone has tried installing with a GIGABYTE GA-P35-S3L with luck please share as i have had problems. Does anyone know if using an IDE DVD Drive and a SATA HDD would work. I have tried but gotten the dreaded "Still waiting for Root Device" error. Anyone know how to work this out? I have tried in VMWare and have actually been able to install using it but i have not been able to boot using VMWare. Help is appreciated!

Downloading Now :)

Okay So here is my Setup:

System: Dell Inspiron e1505

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 @ 2.0Ghz

GPU: ATI Radeon Mobility x1400

RAM: 2GB

HD: 160GB SATA

WiFi: Dell Wireless 1450

Why I tried to install I just left everything as it was except I checked the Mobility drivers, after the install I got the OS X is starting up and then it went to a black screen with some mdnsresponder syncronizing time.

Any ideas what I did wrong? Did I miss a driver or kernel?

Also out of curiosity, mostly cause I can't find a straight answer, whats the 3d support like in os x? any chance I can play WoW?

Anyone tried a installing it on a Inspiron 1520? I'm going to be complete caring my e1505 soon and will end up with a 1520 and was wondering about the support.

well I got it installed and working on my XPS 410! ;) But I couldn't install my NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX. (I don't know what exactly to select) So I just got the basic video driver right now. Sound is working. The on board network doesn't though. (If you know how to fix that, tell me!)

If anyone has tried installing with a GIGABYTE GA-P35-S3L with luck please share as i have had problems. Does anyone know if using an IDE DVD Drive and a SATA HDD would work. I have tried but gotten the dreaded "Still waiting for Root Device"

Same problem on a P35-DS3 with a IDE DVD drive, can't boot the dvd: still waiting for root device ...

How come I can install uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4i on my Dell 1420 but I can’t install other versions like the new mac.nub 10.4.10 version? Anyone know? Thanks, Lex

Dell Inspiron 1420 with Uphuck 10.4.9 v10.4i R2

Processor : Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300

Physical Memory : 4GB DDR2-SDRAM

Video Card : 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

160GB SATA Hard Drive

Wireless Card : Intel 4965AGN Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card

Network Card : Broadcom

Thanks for the reply. I was re-installing Tiger after a couple months in Linux. I had no other installs to compare. Thanks for confirming that it was the support folder.

Jeff

Jeff, for future installs, just to save yourself some trouble, it is the support folder (actually, the lack thereof) that is causing the dictionary problem in Mac.Nub's installer (might be the same for XxX also, but I haven't checked that out yet). Without making any of the other changes you made, if you just copied that 'support' folder to its proper location using pacifist, you will have your functioning dictionary. Of course, if you have another disk with either JaS or Kalyway installed, you could just navigate to the proper directory and after authenticating, just copy it to its corresponding Mac.Nub directory, repair permissions and reboot.

I've already customized my Mac.Nub install disk with a separate folder containing that support folder and several other programs, kexts etc. that I find useful. Hope this helps simplify things.