Official mac.nub 10.4.10 Intel ONLY x86 Install DVD v1, Rev. 5 [EN] - Discussion Thread

mac.nub

722 posts in this topic

I'm trying to get this working in vmware. It will install but when the vm reboots it just goes to a non flashing curser. I have the disk set as a mbr and the vm is a xp pro config. I tried upgrading the install to include all the selections but then the install just errors. Any thoughts?

K some problems.

I got it installed once on my dell xps 410. But i did a reinstall to try and fix stuff. (Didn't work though)

So now i checked this:

Base system

10.4.10 Intel SSE3 kernel & essential Patches

Sata Support

ATI ATA (To get past the "No Smoking Sign" on the apple image)

MacBook Pro Software update 1.1

NVinject GeForce 8800 - 768MB

Front Row

Front Row Keyboard Emulator

I tried to do the bare minimum so that I could get it to work and then add stuff later. But this just gives me a apple boot logo with the spin thing. Does that for 20 seconds, then my screen goes to sleep (Shuts Off). I assume it is about the time where the login window comes up. I am going to enable verbose mode to see what the problem is. If you need the system specs tell me so I can put them up

EDIT:

How do you enable verbose mode?? (Besides the way on the install disk. It has an error if i check that option) I tried installing the 10.4.4 installer application. It came out the same.

I am going to do a fresh one with the sata support and 10.4.4 Login windows.app and some other options.

kamarajuUm... I would look around. Google It?? Search the forum. If all else fails then just go get a usb sound card or something.

I connected to another monitor while it booted up and now it says that it is out of range. But on the dell monitor, it just goes to "Power Saving Mode". Need some help on this. I still can't remember the combination of hardware that I checked to make it work last time. I need to activate verbose mode somehow! To see what is wrong.

EDIT:

yanis: what is your system setup?? If it is a Dell XPS 410, then we might be able to help each other out!

hey mac.nub... how to fix the DICTIONARY.APP?

its been the problem in the XXX_10.4.10

I fixed this on my system just a few minutes ago. Unfortunately, I don't have any specific step by step instructions.

Things I deleted/replaced:

/Library/Dictionaries/* (tried versions from 10.4.8) No change.

Removed ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.HIToolbox.* Was recreated and not fixed yet.

Removed and reinstalled Dictionary.app via pacifist from 10.4.10 mac.nub DVD. No fix.

Used pacifist to replace /System/Library/Components/DictionaryService.component with version from 10.4.8 DVD.

Used apcifist to install /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/LangAnalysis.framework/Versions/A/Support found on 10.4.8 DVD that was not on 10.4.10 DVD.

Rebooted and I think it worked at this point. So, I started replacing things I touched using pacifist and the 10.4.10 mac.nub DVD.

I removed the the Support the Support directory I installed and this broke Dictionary.app but not the same way as originally. Now, there was a yellow triangle ! icon next to search box. And application took a long time to start with the beach ball going on several times.

I replaced he Support directory again and Dictionary app works correctly again.

So, I am suspecting that due to the missing Support directory things never got initialized properly.

At any rate, the missing Support directory is needed by Dictionary.app and with that missing, I don't think the DirectoryService.component code ran.

Hopefully, some OS X gurus here can take my experience and know exactly what the cause is/was and provide simple accurate instructions to fix.

I now have a working Dictionary.app, a working widget, a working contextual menu item/keyboard shortcut.

I hope this is helpful.

Jeff

post-93641-1193551688_thumb.jpg

Some pertinent info first:

Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus motherboard

SATA Maxtor 300GB drive (disk3s1 in my array of hard drives)

Selected the "special" nForce kernel and the nForceSATA selected

Able to run the install through VMWare, etc. I shut it down to reboot and attempt to boot off the drive and get a kernel panic, but it detects the drive through the medevil notifications.

So, I used the nub CD and attempted a

rd=disk3s1 -f -v

After I let it sit for a LONG time (lots of I/O timeouts), I was able to get it to the keyboard detection routine, but it hits the .mac configuration, asks you to select a language, but none are listed to be selected. Can't continue from there. Now I'm wondering what the difference is and why its not causing a kernel panic.

Going to try a few more things first before I fiddle with modifying the image..

Edit: Looks like the it may cause the Semthex 8.8.1 kernel to load

yanis: what is your system setup?? If it is a Dell XPS 410, then we might be able to help each other out!

If you had read my previous comments, you'd have that answer. :(

I have an Asus p5b mainboard, with Core 2 Duo. So not an XPS system sorry.

MacFuse or Paragon NTFS isnt working.
MacFUSE worked for me on mac.nub. There are a few versions floating around and the initial version I downloaded failed too. You want the following version...http://macfuse.googlecode.com/files/MacFUS...-10.4-1.0.0.dmg

Enjoy. :(

If you had read my previous comments, you'd have that answer. ;)I have an Asus p5b mainboard, with Core 2 Duo. So not an XPS system sorry.
Yanis -- I have the P5B Deluxe and mac.nub works wonderfully. Below are some things that come to mind for your install...

1. change from IDE to AHCI in BIOS

2. drivers to select: SATA, ICH7-R, Jmicron, Marvell, Azalia, and the appropriate video driver

3. use the default kernel

4. I removed one of the "nForce & Recommended Patches" because I have a Core2Duo (AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext)

You definitely want to use the Yukon ethernet controller. The other ethernet port will give you a network address of en2, which causes fits for iTunes. iTunes is hard coded to look for en0, which is on-board only. The 2nd ethernet port on our boards is considered PCI and gets an en2 address.

Good luck.

Hmm.

I have a Dell XPS M1210, which came with XP Home. I partitioned the drive, installed Vista, and now it dual boots XP Home + Vista.

If I can format this beast completely, make two partitions again, put back on XP and then somehow figure out how to dual boot OS86 (I haven't read that bit of the forum yet, JUST signed up), this should be sweet.

If it's compatible that is, as long as I have wireless, I'm happy!

ps. unless I put on OS X as my primary OS, and load XP via bootcamp! If that works too, that would be great.

so if you have a core 2 duo i remove one of the patches from the "nForce and recommended patches" and then it might work??

The patch I was referring to is AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Core2Duo's are HPET processors. I dont think disabling that patch will affect stability at all for a Core2Duo. I was just trying to be thorough in my description of the options I chose.

Kudos to mac.nub. Now that I have played around with this release all day I can say that it is the best I have seen since Jas 10.4.8 with the Semthex kernel. I look forward to nub's 10.5 release that I know he is working on right now. :)

Hey, I have the EXACT same specs as you, mac.nub. I'm curious to how you installed? I'm getting some errors. Kernel Panics after install.

Specs are the same as mac.nub, 8800 gts/fp-in9/2 gb ram

I'm sure if I reinstall using the options you selected, it'll work correctly.

Great work btw.

ANYBODY HEEEEELP!!!! I SPENT ALL HOLYDAYS NEAR COMPUTER!!! TELL ME PLEASE WHICH DRIVERS (especially graphic) OR PATCH I MUST SELECT FOR INSTALL

Poor chap.

For graphics you need "GeForce 8800 Series" and "NVinject v0.1.1 -> NVinject - 640MB".

Your motherboard is an nForce 680i board, so you probably also need "nForce & Recommended Patches -> Intel nForce Kernel - 8.10.1".

For audio I believe you need "Azalia Audio".

I'm not sure about ethernet for your board. I would grab the "Marvell Gigabit Ethernet" and "Forcedeth nForce4 ethernet" drivers. You might want to search for "striker" on the boards and see what others are saying about ethernet.

For etiquette you need to learn how to minimize your use of the Caps Lock key. Use your "inside voice" on the boards. :)

On my installation, i reboot and it goes through the text screens, then the last thing it says "Login Application Started" (or something similar to that) then my screen shuts off but the computer stays on! i am going to try a different video card driver, that might work.

Nemi - You defineatly should not run your computer for a long time if it is going at 100%, it'll fry your chip, espically with air cooling.

Strange thing is Activity Monitor shows CPU to be between 96 and 99.x % idle and yet the CPU fan is stepping up like there is a heavy load when in fact there is not... :) puzzled I am...

Any ideas from anyone?

Thanks in advance.

hey all i install this dvd on my system but after install needs restart...

after restarting

loading darwin -

loading darwin \

loading darwin |

loading darwin /

loading darwin -

loading darwin \

loading darwin |

loading darwin /

loading darwin -

and restarts again :S

what's the problem i can't fix that :S