Official mac.nub 10.4.10 Intel ONLY x86 Install DVD v1, Rev. 5 [EN] - Discussion Thread

mac.nub

722 posts in this topic

First of all, the installer sounds great. I'm having only one simple problem, though. When I try to use Disk Utility on the installer to erase or partition a disk to HFS+, the installer will lock up. Basically it will display the loading icon for an infinite ammount of time. I'm trying to install this on a second partition on one of my drives. Any help is appreciated.

Hi, I have problem installing this mac.nubs build, it hangs at firewire detection and then it keeps posting `Still waiting for root device` or something like that, any idea how to fix it ? My rig is in my signature.

cheers,

murko

mhh, the install went fine, but not the following reboot.

I chose the minimum setup, so I checked:

- Base System

- 10.4.10 Intel SSE3 kernel & Essential Patches

- nForce & Recommended Patches (everything in it).

When rebooting, I get a kernel panic. At the end of the debugger I have:

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
  com.apple.GeForce(5.0.4)@0x3c4b3000
   dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.2)@0x359d1000
   dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(1.4.7)@0x3c178000
   dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(1.4.7)@0x3c193000
   dependency: com.apple.NVDAResman(5.0.4)@0x3c613000

My rig:

Motherboard: eVga nForce 680i SLI

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Graphic Card: PNY Geforce 7300GT 256MB

Memory: 2GB 800Mhz DDR2 Ram

Hard Drive: 120GB IDE drive

If someone could point me to a better direction, that would be great :)

Thanks for this release btw!

I'm going to be building a computer just for this... Could I please get some advice on what most compatible hardware would be? I want a good deal of power, will Quad core Intels be detected properly? I also need surround sound audio working if possible, and the best supported graphics card.

mhh, the install went fine, but not the following reboot.

I chose the minimum setup, so I checked:

- Base System

- 10.4.10 Intel SSE3 kernel & Essential Patches

- nForce & Recommended Patches (everything in it).

When rebooting, I get a kernel panic. At the end of the debugger I have:

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.apple.GeForce(5.0.4)@0x3c4b3000
	dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.2)@0x359d1000
	dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(1.4.7)@0x3c178000
	dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(1.4.7)@0x3c193000
	dependency: com.apple.NVDAResman(5.0.4)@0x3c613000

My rig:

Motherboard: eVga nForce 680i SLI

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Graphic Card: PNY Geforce 7300GT 256MB

Memory: 2GB 800Mhz DDR2 Ram

Hard Drive: 120GB IDE drive

If someone could point me to a better direction, that would be great ;)

Thanks for this release btw!

what do you mean by "nForce & Recommended Patches (everything in it)"? what exactly is everything that you selected? that could be the problem. i have the same mobo so im trouble shooting errors...after install on reboot do you get a continous loop of restarting??

I'm getting this right now, and I hope it works. The PC I want to try it on was custom built, but nothing too fancy, but when I tried JaS 10.4.6 and also Uphucks builds, all I get is the Restart Your Computer Error every time.

I'm hoping this will be different, but everything I've tried before has given me no luck whatsoever.

Edit: I get a Panic, this is what it looks like. Any ideas on what to do? I can't even get to the Setup.

6ycirk.jpg

Hi, I have problem installing this mac.nubs build, it hangs at firewire detection and then it keeps posting `Still waiting for root device` or something like that, any idea how to fix it ? My rig is in my signature.

cheers,

murko

That is the error I received when my SATA controlled was set to "IDE" mode instead of "AHCI" mode. I think that error means that it can't find a hard drive.

I got it going to the install if I disable USB support, but it gives me the panic if I have my PS/2 mouse plugged in. So, for some reason I can only get to the installer if I have no USB or any mouse plugged in..

Is there anyway to fix that?

I've tried everything that I can think of, and no luck. I have to disable USB for it to do anything, but if I plug in a PS/2 Mouse, it'll give me the same errors. I tried getting through the install with keyboard alone, but I couldn't manage.

Does anybody know any shortcuts after pressing F8 to get my mouse working, because I can't enable USB or else it'll fail.

Try selecting a driver for your NVidia graphics card. I've not used this install disk yet but it should have a Titan or Natit driver to support NVidia cards.

SMF

I tried with the "NVinject - 256MB" and I get the exact same problem. I'm gonna try with the "Titan Driver" and see if it works.

I'll keep you guys posted.

EDIT: I also tried with Titan and Natit. I get the exact same error.

what do you mean by "nForce & Recommended Patches (everything in it)"? what exactly is everything that you selected? that could be the problem. i have the same mobo so im trouble shooting errors...after install on reboot do you get a continous loop of restarting??

I selected:

- Intel nForce Kernel 8.10.1

- Verbose Mode

- System Profiler Patch

- AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext Remover

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough earlier.

As a conclusion, I'd say that these 4 extensions are causing me trouble: IOPCIFamily, IOGraphicsFamily, IONDRVSupport and NVDAResman :(

Edited by weekender

Unfortunately, you kinda have to boot from the DVD. Once MAC OSX is completely up and running, you can remove it, but unless your computer is a mind-reader...for now at least, you need to boot from the disk. ;)

so once it get to the end and it 'restarts in 30 seconds' is the install complete then or do you still leave the disc in?

At least you can install it. I get to the point where i need to select a hdd to install it to. Nothing is there so I go into disk utility and i need to create a partition. Now, in windows I partitioned my HDD 130/20 and left the 20gb partition un formatted and just blank

Boot from CD and start to instal OSX and then go into disk utility. Now i click my hdd and it shows Untitled and Untitled 2. I want to format Untitled 2 as my OSX partition but it only seems to give me the option to format the whole HDD, Untitled (windows) as Windows format and Utlitled 2 as OSX. Now thats all good but I dont want to loose my Windows

I tried a format but it took ages so I restarted and had to repair Windows, Windows works, OSX wont install

Anyone got any ideas?

Hi Mac.nub

Wow, what an effort! Thanks so much for making this...

I downloaded this and burnt the DVD...

I have a Dell Latitude D610 and I can't get this to work. (my service tag is chgp62j)

I have a Pentium M 1.73GHz (no hyperthreading)

a ATI Mobility Radeon X300 (64MB)

Sigmatel 9751 audio

The installer boots fine and it installs properly but when I got to boot, no matter what combination of instillation type features, when I go to reboot I get a flashing cursor. This is even after recylcing the power. Bios boots, then all i get is a flashing cursor. I am sure this hard drive works as I had Ubuntu on it previously and I find it in Disk Utility (where I have used the "erase" command)

Any suggestions? It is almost like there is no boot or mount point defined? Am I doing something wrong?

(BTW, I have never attempted to install Mac OS X 86 before so appologies for the noob questions)

That is the error I received when my SATA controlled was set to "IDE" mode instead of "AHCI" mode. I think that error means that it can't find a hard drive.

If SATA is set to AHCI mode and then booting from DVD, then it posts - cant find apple.bootlist.plist or something like that, any idea whats now ?

HI there. I'm having some problems getting this release up and running. The problem is that after install it boots but I keep getting a message that I need to restart. Other than that the install is smooth. Takes less than 10 minutes to finish everything.

So, maybe someone can suggest the right options combo during installation for my box, or at least point in the right direction.

Specs:

MSI P6N SLI-F V2 (650i)

E6750

8600 GTS

PATA/IDE HDD (the one I am installing at)

I would appreciate any help.

If you're completely stuck on this release and haven't tried one of the other, earlier releases of 10.4.9 or .10, I suggest you give one of those a shot. I couldn't get this release to work on my Dimension 8400 (SSE2 only), but after some fiddling, I was able to get Uphuck's release booting correctly - and everything seems rock solid.

Thanks again for your efforts, mac.nub; hope all the griping on this forum hasn't completely turned you off to making these releases - I for sure would have sworn not to ever bother with it again!

As an aside, the difficulties that people are having with all this is an excellent illustration of why there is no Apple-official release of 10.4 or 10.5 for commodity PC hardware: with precise control over what hardware people can use, Apple is able to ensure that the OS will work flawlessly on all platforms - cause they can test them all. OSx86 is awesome (I'm running it, after all), but if it's straight-up compatibility you want and you're planning on getting a new machine in the near future, go buy a Mac.

Cheers and good luck to all! Keep fiddling with settings - it'll come.