Official mac.nub 10.4.10 Intel ONLY x86 Install DVD v1, Rev. 5 [EN] - Discussion Thread

mac.nub

722 posts in this topic

Oh right is garageband included in iLife. Can I just download it and install it without any problems?
Yes you can :)It can't be any easier actually :lol:
does my broadcom 440x ethernet card work out of the box?
is any broadcom devices supported at all?

This install kernel panics on a p5b the moment it tries to scan for volumes and mount them. After changing several BIOS options to enable/ disable various features it looks to be a dud for that board.

Going to try destroying and recreating the apple volume on the HDD just in case, but not looking at all good.

Same on a P5K-E. If anyone gets around this, I'd like to know how.

For the P5K/ P5B users, I can confirm this release boots a-ok in VMware Workstation 6 (and runs like a bat out of hell, just as an aside).

Used the template for FreeBSD 64bit with direct access to drive and mounted ISO (which tests as 100% ok). Waiting for install to finish to try reboot. On the bright side, I can re-try re-install more than once if I hit the wrong combination of options without taking machine off-line.

All done; reboot time - wish me luck. :lol:

Nope, still get kernel panic when the APPLE PIIXPATA driver loads. Looks like the default kernel is no good for p5b boards. Will try one of the other options - anyone else had luck?

Macnub, very nice job.

I burned the DVD, boot on it and install but after reboot I have during less than one second a screen with the apple and then it reboots. I imagine it's a video card problem.

I have a Asus 1950 pro and i chose the ATI 19xx from Jcool for installation.

What do I have to do ?

Thanks in advance

Ok, I have a working solution for ASUS P5B (and potentially P5K users).

You'll need to use VMware as the Install DVD has issues with the JMicron controller I suspect.

- create a new custom 64Bit FreeBSD VM session, tell the wizard to use all of the HDD you want to use

- do not use the default kernel, I found the 8.10.3 works right out of the box

- to get proper SATA and IDE drive support, install the ICH8 and JMicron packages

- you'll need to also install the Azalia Audio driver package for sound and RealtekR1000 driver package

- I have a GeForce 7600GT so used the NVinject 0.1.1 package that seems to work right out of the box also

I think that's about it. Posting from Safari in the fresh install and, well, it *feels* very very smooth and fast.

thanks for the effort! i tried it on a sony sz220 (gma950), but i can't even get to the language dialog. Once i plug in a second screen i get a blue screen on there, the laptop screen stays white-blackish.

igp1523dz4.th.jpg

I'll check if it works on another computer,

martin

Just a note to say that mac.nub's DVD installed fine on an Acer Aspire 5633WLMI laptop (Core 2 Duo, BCM4401 ethernet, Intel integrated graphics (I chose the 950 variant)) though sadly this comes with an Intel 3945 wireless which won't work as mac.nub says.

A few minor things to watch out for:

* I wasn't sure about the audio, so I chose all of them...not a good idea. mac.nub has made a typo on the Connexant audio driver package, so if it's selected, the Mac OS X installer screeches to a halt (I checked the installer log and there's a definite typo in there). This is quite poor of the installer - it really should just skip the audio driver and continue. BTW, the audio does work on the Acer laptop (this is the first Mac OS X DVD install that has actually had working audio for me).

* Looking at the installer log, there's a warning about not finding an AMD kernel or something - I presume this is harmless and mac.nub decided that it wasn't worth fixing.

* The Mac OS X installer is quite unfriendly if you don't already have a Mac OS X partition on your drives (which will be 100% the case for first-timers). It sits there with a "select destination" dialogue box and no disks/parititons listed at all and you can do nothing in the dialogue box at that point! The installer should actually say "please run the Disk Utility and create a Mac OS X partition on your drive" or something like that.

* Watch out for the "Sleep..." menu on Acer laptops - the machine stayed on (is that right?) and effectively hung - only a 6-second hold-down-power-button could get the machine to restart (keys/mouse/etc did nothing). When it came back up, I couldn't shutdown or reboot properly any more (i.e. it closed the desktop, but then sat in a text console and wouldn't power off or reboot).

* OK, I'll probably have to intensively Google this one, but folks here might know the answer - the Mac OS X installer destroys the MBR without giving you a choice (so do all Windows variants, so I'm used to that). What's the recommended way to get grub to pick up the Mac OS X partition? I tried rootnoverify and chainloader, but it doesn't seem to work :-(

I had a further play with Mac OS X than I've done before and I must say I will never get used to the inconsistency w.r.t. closing windows. For some options it closes off the "app" completely and others - despite it being the last of the app's windows being closed - it leaves the app running. Most annoying to remember to have to do an extra step of separately quitting said app. Is there a way to config Mac OS X so it closes the application when the last open window of the app is closed (which is far more intuitive and less steps, IMHO)?

I'm back in Fedora 7 posting this...sorry, but I still prefer a Linux desktop ;)

Problem: Load from dvd, wait 10 sec (no key entered), darwin loading, blue screen with spinning circle (or cursor, or prepearing to install message) then NOTHING!!! Before this problem i install OS but she does not work (or reboot after message "please try again" when i select any patches) Please help !!! My system Asus Striker (i680) gf 8800, ide hd, usb dvd.

g0ldr4k3 - Use the included "NVinjectGo" driver

zhimama - MD5 is used to verify the checksum of a file, to make sure that you have not got a corrupt download. All you need to do is get a MD5 verifier, and make sure that it matches the MD5 hash I provided.

kurmiic - Unfortunately Leopard has been of no use to other cards yet, however GeForce 8800's no longer require hot-plugging under Leo, even when using VGA!

clintoy - Apparently it can be on some occasions, e.g. someone I know updated their 10.4.10 install with it... backup any important files and try!

Hiko - As in you don't know how to install the driver? Or to get it displayed at 320MB in the System Profiler?

zeroz4 - Try using the chain0 method - search the forums for details!

Christian - I noticed that the first time, and unfortunately not for the wireless. AppleHDA Patcher may sort out the sound though!

Evostance - That is the windows part of the disk. It is multi-format (CDFS and HFS+) this means you will not see the majority of the files on the disk, as Windows can not read HFS+ partitions. Don't worry about it, it's normal! - The files you see in windows are needed to get the CD to boot! As for the "making the 8800gts 640mb look like a 320mb to work" - no idea what you're on about! Just install the GeForce 8800 Drivers, and make sure to select the 640MB NVinject!

greekguy - Did you select the nForce kernel and GeForce 8800 drivers? What does verbose output say while booting?

shardie - See this post

denso1 - Never seen that before without more details as to what you did I can't suggest anything.

copex - Did you select the nForce kernel?

__MK__ - Yes

agfrg - Should be supported under Callisto, if not other drivers.

eyraguais - Search the forums for info on your wireless card, and you shouldn't be trying to install frontrow - just create a working keyboard shortcut... System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts.

droopy96 - You'll need to boot in verbose mode and tell me what errors you get, otherwise I can't help.

yanis - Thanks for the info.

rkl - Hmm, thanks for the heads up about the Connexant audio package, not sure what I can do about this now except say not to select it. No idea what it's going on about with regards to an AMD kernel. There is no way to modify the select partition screens. And i've never had an app that just quit after closing the window on OS X, it always stays running.

Orfeus - What does verbose mode say when trying to run the installer?

~mac.nub

Thanks for the download. Went out tonight and seeded while I was gone. When I got home and booted from the dvd, I get an ms-dos type thing happening. It says "sam multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC=0X02, ASC=0X00". It keeps repeating that line 4-5 times then says sometinh like "launched bug", then "disk 153: I/O error". Pretty upset but thanks for the hard effort!

nice download from tpb getting at 300-700ks sometimes even more and seeding around 100-130 k nice one... hope this one works on my sh'ty mobo of asus p5n32-e sli nforce... it never liked to boot to loginwindow to gui always stuck at loginwindow with 8.9.1 and 8.10.1 kernels ... dunno why i hope this one boots fine with this kernel said to be compatible with nforce chipset...

12-15 mins and 50% done good speed :blink: god speed :)

wow almost finished super speed :) @ 95%

100% thanx everyone esp mac.nub.... will seed until share ratio... 3-4 maybe more as i m leaving now and leaving comp on 3-4 hrs for now...

by the way, all the seeders left i think... 0 connected and just 10 in swarm (9 excl me...) i will share until i come back than i will have to try it on my pc so will get off for a while... but 3-4 hrs i will continue seeding...

When I got home and booted from the dvd, I get an ms-dos type thing happening. It says "sam multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC=0X02, ASC=0X00". It keeps repeating that line 4-5 times then says sometinh like "launched bug", then "disk 153: I/O error".

Sounds like a bad disk write.

It is vital that you check to ensure the unrar'd ISO file's MD5SUM (unique file signature) matches the one given in the provided read me document. MD5Summer is a useful windows application for checking.

You also need to burn at a very sloooow speed to ensure reliable results, if you can burn at 2x, or better still 1x, that is best. What mainboard/ system are you installing on?

thanks macdotnub for replying. Hmm i really need that geforce 8400 to run because i really want to run logic 8 ...

what would need to happen so the 8x00 series would be fully supported ... i mean some kind of driver update or .... something ???

sorry. don't want to annoy you with those noob questions but as i said this is extremely important for me.

hmm anyone want to trade macbook pro for sony vaio ??? :blink::P:D

Download speed of the torrent was brilliant stayed at 500 kb most of the times just dropping to maybe 100 to 150 at the lowest points. I will try to install it now and see how it is .....

Anyway i am so glad that you spend the time to develop this community and i guess the race is on who will release the first and most stable mac OS leopard ..... :) so to all of you good luck :)

mac.nub.

Been following the scene for awhile now, and let me just tell you, your install disk is right up there. Easy / flawless install. I applaud all your hard work. Great release.

I know that this is issue is totally unrelated and definitely not up your alley, but perhaps you can provide some insight and/or guidance as to what the issue may be.

I have the avchd panasonic HDC-SD5 camcorder and iMovie '08 quits on startup when it is connected via the usb port. Console log reports

error: Error getting a reference to /options.

You think this might be kernel or application related?

by the way, all the seeders left i think... 0 connected and just 10 in swarm (9 excl me...) i will share until i come back than i will have to try it on my pc so will get off for a while... but 3-4 hrs i will continue seeding...

Yeah, the torrent is already dying. -_- I'll seed at 100KB/s until I finish my homework today, but the Crysis demo came out yesterday so I will be booting into Vista for some FPS action this afternoon! :D

Hi,

I' m downloading the image and will install it later.

Meanwhile, anything I need to take care during/after the installation?

My hardware include:

Intel Q6600

P35 motherboard using ICH9R

Realtek 8168/8111 family NIC

Sapphire ATI 1650GT

Last time I install the 10.4.8 successfully but the QE/CI cannot be enabled....

Thanks,

MAC.NUB - Thanks for the reply. im sure there is an easier way. What id like to do is to add the device ID controllers to the relevant kext files and replace them into your install DVD. I just wish the was a tutorial to do this. Im sure it would help lots of people to make thier own custom install DVD. the problem is that i dont want to use VMWARE or the like, dont feel we have to. I just want to be able to pop in the dvd and install.

Ive found that i have to do this to get my OSX workin on my mobo:

SATA, SATA2 and IDE (JMicron and P965/ICH8) works excellent after adding controllers id (0x2361197b 0x28208086) to AppleVIAATA.kext "VIA SATA Controller"

this is once OSX is installed already onto a different mobo, then i transfer the HDD to the ECS mobo.

All i want is to be able to boot from the DVD and install, and once running ill add my own network and audio kext files.

Right now i have to use a different mobo to install.

Any ideas or HELP us to make our own install DVD ??

Thanks

Shardie