[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

w00t! Sleep Works! I used Chameleon instead of PC_EFI

Get it here: [insanelymac won't let me post links to this, probably one of the usual kindergarden admin wars...]

chameleon [DOT] osx86 [DOT] hu

This is not a link to illegal content as a far as I know.

There is an installer available. And it works.

That made my day. Now even homework doesn't seem so dark and negative anymore :)

Hi!

I´m gonna buy this motherboard with some quad processor, like Q6600 that I´ve seen here some people have.

Just my only last question is does this mobo really work without kernel panics with 4gb (or even more) of ram? This because my only problem at the moment with my amd based setup is those panics, and limiting my memory with the boot commands isn't working, or even if i use just 1gb. So this is my main worry as it is REALLY annoying when recording or mixing audio and there is these little random pauses 2-3 times a minute.

So, is there some audio workstation users here that could confirm this, would be so nice to finally get a stable working machine so I could focus on the work itself, not on the tool. BTW I´m using firewire audio interface, not the onboard one.

thank´s

-bb-

I can confirm FireWire works, however I don't know about the RAM.

However I haven't read of anybody on this thread having problems with >4GB of memory. It is a really nice board for a Hackintosh, now that I have sleep working I can only say positive things about this MoBo.

hey guys thanks for this u guys r so helpful

ok i have some problem with my audio I've installed kallyway 10.5.2 on my computer:-

MB:- P5K-VM

Pro:- inter C2D E7200

Ram:- 2 GB

HDD:- 1 160 GB Ide (my System Drive)

3 SATA drives

so my problem is i have 5.1 speakers but i can't configure it to 5.1 in midi settings. i can hear sound in two speakers only.2nd problem is the sound coming in two speaker is breaking i mean when i play mp3 in itunes its perfect no breaking nothing but when i play some heavy files like avi, mpg, m2p sound got break at opening of the file and when i forward the file and some time it comes in whole file from beginning to end.

i am trying the method mention at the 1st page of this topic but the problem is i can't find Taruga's ALC882 Sound Fix v0.4b if u guys have this patch plz upload it and give me the link

i know that patch is somewhere in the link u've given but i am sorry i didn't find it

and thanks in advance

hw specs: nv 7900 gt oc, q6600 @ 3.5, 4GB 1066, 2 SATA HD on the ICH9's, 1 SATA DVD on the Jmicron (SATA port 4)

sw specs: Kaly 10.5.2 -> Combo Update 10.5.4(with all the standard fixes post kext replacements for audio/video/etc), Chameleon replacing PCEFI, nvinject(qe/ci), alc883 fully working, firewire and usb all perfect, sleep and wake work indefinately with no side effects

i use this board as an audio workstation without issues, although mainly using acid pro through vmware

also do a great bit of graphic design and c++ development with no issues

the issue about 4GB could be the cause of my panics that occur about 2% of the time during load, but this can also be attributed to the jmicron controller or using IDE mode instead of AHCI, so the consensus is dont use the JMB IDE and enable AHCI -> I recently pulled the IDE and disabled the jmicron controller in the bios, and am running 4GB ram without any issues so far, knock on wood

halt has never worked consistently since i left Tiger for Leopard, so instead I reboot and then have grub halt the system after 60s if I dont choose an os(choosing leopard goes to darwin loader(chameleon) if this sounds confusing- i run ubuntu and xp as well but leopard uses chameleon, piggybacked off of grub, but i digress ...)

my current problem is this - sometimes on reboot the machine will just hang as it does on halt, where everything turns off but the psu. no big deal except...

if I hard reboot or kill the psu when this happens, when I restart the machine my BIOS is reset! does anyone have this issue or know of a solution?

this issue has only occured recently, and the only changes to my setup I can think of are the use of chameleon or the upgrade to 10.5.4, but even these have been going strong for some time before this. it could be a chicken before the egg problem here (as in i lost a crucial setting when the bios reset) but does anyone have any specific recommendations for bios settings that i may be overlooking

Hi!

Thank´s for the info elbasofolous, unfortunately this motherboard is not manufactured anymore. I should have picked one up a couple days ago when there still was some left in Finland, now they´re all gone it seems. The replacing product seems to be P5E-VM, have to check on that one if it would be my new motherboard. The difference between p5k-vm and p5e-vm is the chip G33 -> G35. I don´t know if that makes any difference, have to search on that.

-bb-

Hi!

Thank´s for the info elbasofolous, unfortunately this motherboard is not manufactured anymore. I should have picked one up a couple days ago when there still was some left in Finland, now they´re all gone it seems. The replacing product seems to be P5E-VM, have to check on that one if it would be my new motherboard. The difference between p5k-vm and p5e-vm is the chip G33 -> G35. I don´t know if that makes any difference, have to search on that.

-bb-

the g35 chipset shouldnt be an issue. the main problem is the jmicron paired with ich9, but it seems to only be effected by the use of IDE devices, so if this controller is disabled and the system is in AHCI you shouldnt have any issues

For anyone who is having shutdown and restart issues (shut down does not turn off power supply, and restart hangs at power down) with P5K-VM, the kext named OpenHaltRestart.kext in the following forum resolves this issue:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...leps2controller

it is at the bottom for download. Karaakeha1 figured this one out. Many thanks...

Newbies, use 'kext helper b7' to install.

I am thinking about getting one of these boards to use as a web/torrent/ftp server at home, which install DVD is the easiest to use?

I currently have iDeneb 10.5.5, iAtkos v4i and Kalyway 10.5.2 at my disposal ...

Also, I have an E5200 (dual core 2.5GHz) already, am I better off getting an E8400 (Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz) or something similar?

I have tried installing on a P5KPL-CM (cheapest board I could find) with my E5200 but it doesn't seem to want to go anywhere, just getting an Apple Logo and then stops, tried "-x", "-v", "-f -v" but nothing works.

Not too worried about buying a new board and chip (I will just make the older ones into a computer for my daughter) ... just want to make sure I'm getting the easiest ones to do an install on like my quad core (see specs below) was.

@frankle: You should be fine with the processor. The MoBo is maybe the most critical part of the whole hackintosh build. If you found that your current Board just doesn't work, go ahead and buy a new one.

However, looking through the HCL at wiki.osx86project.org, the P5KPL-CM should be supported. What is the last message when trying to boot with -v? I guess investiging the issue before just buying a new board is simply a waste of money. Try taking everything out that could cause problems. PM me if you got the error message, I *might* know a solution or just post in the forum.

If you are convinced that the P5KPL-CM just doesn't work, buy a P5K-VM, I am very satisfied with it. Your processor should work fine on it too.

The issue with JMicron causing kernel panics with this motherboard while PATA devices accessed has been resolved thanks to slashack. The recompiled 64 bit JMicron driver does not cause kernel panics any longer where the computer had more than 2-3 gigs of memory with at least that much wired memory allocated. It can now handle higher amounts of memory properly with PATA. The 64 bit JMicron driver can be downloaded from:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...127611&st=0

(info.plist may require a special edit, read the trail)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have updated to 10.5.6 with Netkas method and:

-Lost Firewire ports

-Lost Time Machine support (it says it cannot find integrated network adapter

About Time Machine error, Console says this:

16/12/08 1:11:07 System Preferences[343] Time Machine: Error setting backup path: Error Domain=com.apple.TimeMachine.Preferences Code=-1 UserInfo=0x26e11720 "Time Machine no se ha podido configurar porque no se encuentra la interfaz de red integrada."

16/12/08 1:11:07 [0x0-0x2f02f].com.apple.systempreferences[343] _CSBackupGetMachineMACAddress - IOServiceGetMatchingServices did not find an ethernet service with kIOPrimaryInterface true

Some ligth on this? Thanks in advance...

Just to report that sleep now works with the above fix that cyclonefr mentioned.

I still have problems with restart and shutdown after using sleep though, the fans stay on and when i hardboot i get a cmos check some error.

Still havent heard about a fix for the firewire.

Im doing some tests with a fresh vanilla install 10.5.5 and updating to 10.5.6 on my P5K-VM (bios 0902)

I have firewire working now. But is wierd 'cos it wasnt working before. Just boot to my fully working 10.5.5 then boot back to the test partition and the firewire is working (didnt work on cold boot). Also I had a lag at reboot (like if some device was not responding to shutdown), now that is gone too.

Im running Voodoo 9.5.0 + system.kext+seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5; I also added EHCISleepEnabler and SATA support (not AHCI yet) and the DSDT file from DB1 (his post is gone now!).... With this kernel theres no problems with restart/shutdown (I havent try sleep yet)

I had the same kind of behavior with USB2 ports on the machine from the signature; they were not working and then, bamm! working....

I think it has something to do on how the devices power-off on restart/shutdown...depending on this they can be initialized properly on next boot or not.

EDIT:

Now doesnt work anymore, but the device is still in the ioreg and the AppleFWOHCI.kext is loaded...

go figure!

Hmmm. I'm very happy with my fully-functioning 10.5.5 setup:

Q6600 @ 3.1 Ghz

8GB 800mhz ram

3 SATA drives & 1 SATA CD/DVD burner

HD3870 512MB video

on-board 10/100/1000 ethernet

on-board 2 channel audio

Firewire and Time Machine both working fine

As much as I'd like to install 10.5.6 I don't think I can live without any of the features I already have.

Is there some great reason to struggle with this upgrade? One or more "must-have" features? Or should I just wait and save my energy for the battle with 10.6 in (hopefully) just a few months?

- David