[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

hey all,

I have compiled a new AppleIntelPIIXATA kext and have corrected the bug that causes the system to not see all Sata ports.

You have no more need of the old AppleViaATA now.

see here : AppleIntelPIIXATA topic

I am playing around with my P5K-VM today and just installed this following your post and everything seems to be fine, I am however on an MBR partition so this is all going away starting tomorrow as i would like to get to efi_v8, and swap out this video card for an 8800 GTS i have so i think I will start from scratch with Kalyway.

Anyway, as I sit right now with the current install, my system will go into sleep fine but will not wake up from it without pushing the power button, no mouse or keyboard strokes wake it up.

Any idea what brings that on?

• 2 weeks later...

weirdest thing. ok so when i boot up from the HDD it shows the darwin bootloader. and after it times out the computer resets. but if i keep the disc in and let the disc bootloader time out it goes into OS X. im guessing i dont an EFI bootloader?

any help ?

Hm, I still can't get my board to boot up. Using the Kalyway DVD.

I have the following things selected:

EFI Kernel (All checked)

Video (ATI_NATIT) (X1650 Pro 512MB card)

Sound (last option)

MBR (both options)

The installation gets to the last minute and hangs. Then it tells me that the installation failed.

"The installer could not make the computer start up from the volume "(null". You may need to select your disk using the Startup Disk utility."

Strange, I named my volume Leopard. This is the only volume that exists, too. (No Windows/Linux).

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Oh, I guess it's supposed to happen huh? LOL.

• 3 weeks later...

Kalyway 10.5.2 disc is working great out of the box, dropped nvInject in and the graphics work great.

Sound support is so-so, looks like I'm missing inputs.

Sees all 3 SATA hard disks, 1 SATA DVD-RW and 1 PATA DVD-RW.

One oddball issue though, I've had to pull my monitor cable and switch plugs with each reboot. Huh.

Hey, I followed Midnightdavid's guide (twice actually) using the iATKOS 1.0ir2 dvd and almost everything works mint but I'm having problems with the onboard ethernet. I followed the instructions to switch from 3 to 6, repaired permissions, refreshed the Extensions.kext, but whenever I use the network I start getting kernel panics and finder crashing.

If I turn en0 to off in the system preferences the system runs fine. If I just do light browsing it works ok, but the connection drops after a few minutes and I have to turn en0 off then turn it back on again to get the connection up. If I manually set the connection to 100Mbps half duplex it seems a little bit more stable. However, as soon as I try to copy a file from my fileserver or download something from the internet, it gets a few MB in and then I get a finder crash or kernel panic.

I have tried all the obvious stuff, changed the network cable, connected directly to my cable modem to cut out the router. No change.

Has anyone else experienced any issues like this?

Do this:

Network:

Modify entries in:

IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext (or AppleYukon2.kext)/Contents/Info.plist

Change:

<key>Yukon-88E8053</key> to <key>Yukon-88E8056</key>

<string>0x436211AB</string> to <string>0x436411AB</string>

<string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053</string> to <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056</string>

Hello

A greeting to all are fabulous.

One thing I am not very clear and excuse my language I am using google to translate it into English.

For my asus motherboard p5k smooth drive which I will use ich9 but what kext?

Thanks in advance

Hey there, i've been having troubles installing my network on my P5K-VM. Im running kalyway 10.5.2..... and i've tried all the methods here... but no go. THis is what i did:

-Installed kalyway 10.5.2, checking off ONLY the vanilla kernel

-once installed, i said i wasn't connected to internet when it asked me

-checked if network was working (it wasn't)

-immediately used kexthelper to install the posted P5KVM_LEO kexts.

-typed in terminal "sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions"

-typed in terminal "sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions"

-deleted Extensions.mkext

-repaired permissions on disk

-restarted

-and.............. it still didn't work. i checked in 'network' and i dont see any 'ethernet' port. Im pretty sure i followed the steps... but if i made a mistake, someone please point it out. i've been trying for a few days now, but no go. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Been working the past few hours on this, everything's A-OK so far!

I'll make up a larger guide when I'm certain it's all working, but here's a few quick notes..

System specs:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66Ghz

- Asus P5K-VM Mainboard

- 3Ghz DDR2 667Mhz

- 2x WD 320GB SATA2 HDD (partitioned in MBR mode)

- LG 16X DVD-RW (SATA)

- Pallit NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT w/1GB RAM

The SATA controller is configured in IDE mode.

Used the Kalyway 10.5.1 ISO for the install with the following options selected:

- SSE2_System

- ALC883 (gigabyte) driver

- EFT in MBR mode

I did not use a video driver or the vanilla kernel. The install took about 15 minutes and then I rebooted.

As soon as I started up, the following devices worked automatically:

- Network card started up successfully and obtained an IP

- Sound card shows up in mixer and actually works at decent volume

I ended up adding the following patches and software (so far)

- Scott's 10.5.2 NVIDIA driver package (shows up to 768MB RAM): http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=15. So nice to have full use of my widescreen again :D

- NTFS-3G read/write driver: http://www.ntfs-3g.com. I've been using this driver in Linux for years without incident, so I'll give the Mac Port a try. As soon as I restarted, my XP drive shows up as readable and writable...

... which brings me to another thing: I've got 3 SATA devices being detected! So far XBench has given me some decent figures for HDD access, so why bother with AHCI mode?

* What didn't work

- My Highpoint RocketRAID 1740 PCI card -- there are drivers available, probably just needs some tweaking which I'm not gonna bother with... the array is being moved into a Windows server tomorrow anyway.

Currently grabbing the Kalyway 10.5.2 combo update, so I'll see how that works also. Already got my Blackberry syncing with Apple's default apps and filling out iTunes from my XP partition. :)

Cheers!

Been working the past few hours on this, everything's A-OK so far!

I'll make up a larger guide when I'm certain it's all working, but here's a few quick notes..

System specs:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66Ghz

- Asus P5K-VM Mainboard

- 3Ghz DDR2 667Mhz

- 2x WD 320GB SATA2 HDD (partitioned in MBR mode)

- LG 16X DVD-RW (SATA)

- Pallit NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT w/1GB RAM

The SATA controller is configured in IDE mode.

Used the Kalyway 10.5.1 ISO for the install with the following options selected:

- SSE2_System

- ALC883 (gigabyte) driver

- EFT in MBR mode

I did not use a video driver or the vanilla kernel. The install took about 15 minutes and then I rebooted.

As soon as I started up, the following devices worked automatically:

- Network card started up successfully and obtained an IP

- Sound card shows up in mixer and actually works at decent volume

I ended up adding the following patches and software (so far)

- Scott's 10.5.2 NVIDIA driver package (shows up to 768MB RAM): http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=15. So nice to have full use of my widescreen again :)

- NTFS-3G read/write driver: http://www.ntfs-3g.com. I've been using this driver in Linux for years without incident, so I'll give the Mac Port a try. As soon as I restarted, my XP drive shows up as readable and writable...

... which brings me to another thing: I've got 3 SATA devices being detected! So far XBench has given me some decent figures for HDD access, so why bother with AHCI mode?

* What didn't work

- My Highpoint RocketRAID 1740 PCI card -- there are drivers available, probably just needs some tweaking which I'm not gonna bother with... the array is being moved into a Windows server tomorrow anyway.

Currently grabbing the Kalyway 10.5.2 combo update, so I'll see how that works also. Already got my Blackberry syncing with Apple's default apps and filling out iTunes from my XP partition. ;)

Cheers!

mmmm hey man, i downloaded a copy of 10.5.1 kalyway, and followed your steps, but no go on network. just doesn't run. thats my biggest annoyance right now. my setup is

asus p5k-vm

1gb ddr2 800mhz ram x 4

raptor 74gb sata - vista

raptor 74gb sata - leopard

barracuda 500gb sata - in ntfs, holds data

evga 7800gt 256mb pcie

nec supermulti IDE

yeah, third time installing, still no go. =( if anyone has any idea how to fix my problem, or if they find anything wrong with my setup, please let me know! i've searched through all the forums, and still netowrk no go. (graphics also stuck at 1024x768, but not a big priority).

please let me know guys!

MB: ASUS P5KC

CPU: 6600 quad

RAM: 8GB (4 X 2GB) 800MHz

GFX: GeForce 8400 GS x 2 (not in SLI)

Manage to boot up and install with Kalyway 10.5.2. (with only 1 X GFX card)

Used kalyway_hack_10.5.2ComboUpdate without incident.

OS X appeared installed and seemed to work but issues would pop up:

Limited display resolutions until I tried insanelymac_Nvidia_Installer_3.0_Beta_Version_by_Punk92.

Installed iLife 08 with iMovie 6 HD (older version) but neither would recognize the DV Camera connected by Firewire.

Second GFX card never recognized.

No Sound.

No LAN.

Will not boot with both cards installed after using : insanelymac_Nvidia_Installer_3.0_Beta_Version_by_Punk92

removed 2nd card and now will boot with more display resolutions but still not perfect. If I change resolution it may require a forced reboot to get the screen back.

Othe rissues not important to me at the moment like no WiFi with Linksys WUSB300N (usb). No webcam.

I didn't have precise intructions on how to do this, so much was guess work. Some guidence would be appreciated. I am not sure what packages to install nor what options within these to choose. This is more of a fun hobby for me because I doubt the system will be stable to work on. I would like to see if I can get iMovie 06+08 to work and later Premiere, After Effects Final Cut, and other cpu intensive apps. But the Big Question is: Will all the effort be justified? It's a fun challenge for those who want to try but I prefer a rock solid performer thtat never hangs. My MBP offers me this stability whle this OSx86 trial reminded me of many frustrating moments while using Windows. Thanks for the hardwork by all those giving it a try and sharing it!

This MB allows me to enter the Bios to select which of the 2 SATA dives will be the Primary Master boot drive. This made for a simple dual booting system, but I must enter the bios and select which drive will start first. Nice feature of this board. I suppose with a lot of figuring out I could do this with Grub but since I am frequently reinstalling OS X I prefer a simpler setup until I master it.

Hi guys

Then I downloaded these OSx86 hack versions:

1. Kalyway 10.5.1

2. Leo4all 10.5.1

3. Leo4all v3

4. Jas 10.4.8

5. ToH 10.5

Which OSx86 version do u suggest me for this hardware?

Asus P5K-VM

Core2Duo E8400

8800GTS G92

250GB Sata2 Barracuda

DVDR Pioneer 212 SATA

My DVD dosen't work in AHCI mode in vista32. So I set it in the 3°sata slot. :) Any Idea? ;)

Tnx a lot

So I've tried Kalway 10.5.2 & Leov4all v3 and both freeze up at 'Calculating Time' when trying to install. I have 2gb ram, my drives are set to ahci, Ive burned each disc at 1x and yea, no luck.

any suggestions?

Hi guys, I´m having a weird problem after installing the SATA fix, now my 2 SATA drives change their BSD whenever they want, sometimes my OS disk is disk0s1 and sometimes disk1s1???? any ideas?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys...

I installed leo4all v3 and kalyway 1.5.2 but in all theese 2 versions the installer I have the same problem.

I select the right version of keyboard (europe IT) but

when It tells me to transfer any document from another Mac I select "No, try later".

Then, the setup repeats again from the first step (select keyboard) and so on.

I don't Know what to do..

Can u help me?

Hello all,

I built my system two weeks ago and I have been trying to get my system to shutdown properly. Like everyone I am running on a P5K-VM. All of my hardware works and runs stable except for shutting down. (Shutdown either causes a kernel panic or turns off video and lights but leaves fans running) Reset and sleep work great and did right away! So I am a bit puzzled now...

Specs:

Leo4All v2

P5K-VM BIOS rev 0803

Intel Core2Duo E6850 @ 3.0ghz

4gb DDR2 1066 ram (running at 800 right now since the board is refusing to run it at 1066 atm)

500gb Maxtor SATA

Gigabyte 8600GT w/ 512megs GDDR2

Optiarc DVDRW AD-7190A on IDE

Realtek 8187 USB wifi

Like I said everything is working great except shutdown. I have tried the shutdown fixer (no work) and I have tried manually turning off the second CPU with the CHUD prefpane. Also tried vanilla kernel 9.2.0 (currently running vanilla 9.2.2) but I have NOT tried the AMD patched on on Leo4All v2 for fear of compatibility issues. I have also made sure I am on the latest Realtek wifi driver and Taruga's latest 883 audio driver / patch. I disabled the parallel and serial port in the BIOS settings but everything else appeared to default to the right settings before I ever installed.

This was the second install I did from the disc since the first one I selected the wrong audio drivers. I did a account migration from my firewire back up of my MacBook to get everything over. This shouldn't have replaced any kexts right? I am stuck and out of ideas to make it work 100% like so many are reporting on here. Anybody know of something else to try?

Thanks!

** EDIT ***

The one thing I forgot to try turned out to be it; Removing the Realtek Wifi USB before shutting down let it shut down perfectly. Now I need to see if I can just unload the kext or find a way to force the system to not see it there before shutting down to keep me from having to pull it each time. Also need to see if the dongle does the same thing on my MacBook. If it does I will write up a bug to Realtek about the driver.

** EDIT 2 ***

Okay it is NOT the Realtek Wifi - seems like it was just a coincidence that it was deciding to shut down normally.

I have followed this thread and tried everything I can to get my system to consistently shut down. 50% of the time it does. The other half it sits with the fans running but otherwise off.

One other problem: If I leave the system in sleep for a period of time over a couple hours when I try to shut down or restart the hhd indicator light flashes repeatedly until I manually power off. Once I restart the CMOS gets a checksum error and everything needs to be reset. Anybody else seeing this? It is really frustrating to have a board that is so well supported yet I am having strange issues. What BIOS rev are others running? I am on 0803.

• 4 weeks later...

I got this board a few days ago. Working great here.

I've made an installer with all the needed drivers:

SATA IDE (by Dune) all channels

SATA AHCI id and icons fix

Restart Fix (by ToH)

Audio (3 channels output (by Taruga) or 2 channels + Spdif; mic and line input on both)

HDAEnabler (by kabyl and Taruga)

Yukon 8808056 Network

Enjoy.

Link (10.5.3 ONLY)

http://www.mediafire.com/?y2tm0ljnene