[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

Still getting nothing in Sys Prefs -> Sound -> devices. Just to confirm the P5K-VM uses a Realtek ALC883 codec correct?

I seem to be getting nowhere with the sound codecs. I think I need to extract the original flat image and start again with just AppleHDA - ALCInject, and run the 0.4b patch, AppleHDA patcher, and add the device string. Is a BIOS update required on the mobo? I think there is a new one 0602, but I'm still on 0402. Just wondering if anyone has it working with 0402 bios.

Also must I reboot everytime when working with the AppleHDA/ALCInject, or can I use kextcache/kextload/kextunload?

Thanks.

i have a big problem with P5k-VM. i cant even get it to install!!!

look:

im using ToH RC2 Leopard Prepatched disk.

When i use BrazilMAC postpatch, i get the apple logo and spinny thing for a while and then a circle with a slash through it appears on the "stem" of the "apple".

when i use the P5k3 postpatch, i get the apple logo and spinny thing for a while and then the screen flickers and the spinny thing freezes and it just hangs forever.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!??!?!

Oh, some side-notes:

CPU: intel core 2 duo e6750

MOBO: Asus P5k-VM

1GB Corsair Ram

250GB SATA HDD

*Disabled JMicron in Bios

*Set SATA to AHCI in Bios

*Disabled Intel SpeedStep Technology.

So, please tell me!! What am i doing wrong?!

• 2 weeks later...

Allsop or Delish, just wanted to ask you if you could tell me how you got the brazilmac patched leopard install running on the p5kvm. I tried patching my leopard image as per the instructions on osx86scene but the installer just hangs on the apple logo (and strangely it reset my bios the first time i tried too)

is there anything else i need other than the brazilmac patch or am i doing something else wrong?

I tryed installing leopard ToH and tiger uphuck. both times it said still waiting for root device ive got it to boot off of the ToH disc 2 or three times but both times it said it could not valade a pakage. it installs and boots xp mce(media center)

P.s. I have a gig of ram and i bought a nvidia geforce 8400 it also has a Core 2 duo 2.2 GHZ

with a brazilmac install, remember to run diskutil "fix disc" before and after any of boot related installs, since those will corrupt your hd.

dont replace leopards jmicron driver, and pata works.

the kernel on ToH RC2 disk isnt very good, dl a newer one and use brazilmac postpatch or similar methode to update your kernel, the ToH RC2 kernel didnt boot right for me.

ok, I actually just got the kalyway 10.5.1 and it was too easy. i didnt have to hack a single file, it just simply worked. I installed to another partition on my tiger disk with ahci(not nessecary though) and i used the acpi patch and the vanilla kernel with the MBR EFI bootloader. I havnt tried booting by itself, but from Ubuntu's grub i can boot windows, tiger and leopard with no issues. The ALC 883 worked and I have an ATI card which needed no kext patching to get qe/ci, just the ati inject and ati x19**. The only annoying thing is that with ahci turned on, it mounts all your disks as externals so that fu*king timemachine pops up alot, but once i get my broadcom chipped wireless card ill get rid of tiger and ahci.

a word to the wise for leopard users in general too - I would filter out disks other than your leopard partition from the spotlight, otherwise u get the mds process eating all your cpu - i hear quicksilver is a good alternate to spotlight also but i havnt tested it yet

also i tried the intel x1300 installer form one of these other ten leo installs i got(cant remember which one - maybe ToH) and it appears not to work but ati and nvidia seem to be pretty solid

Was hoping someone maybe able to help me.

This is my setup with P5K-VM:

SATA P1: DVD Burner (AHCI)

SATA P2: Drive (Leopard/10.5.1 on first partition, AHCI)

SATA P3: unused

SATA P4: Drive (Vista)

Using EasyBCE on the Vista drive dual boot is working. I want to use NeoGRUB and use dual boot from there with the ultimate goal being to boot with EFI so I can run the plain kernel. I was wondering if anyone is doing anything similar?

I've been using neogrub manually (e.g. not using a menu.lst) and it sees hd(0,0) as an NTFS partition which means it thinks my Vista drive is hd(0,0). It doesnt seem to recognize any other partitions (hfs, etc.).

Anyone know if GRUB is meant to see all the drives when AHCI mode is enabled?

You can read how to modify dvd kexts here my A8R32-MVP Deluxe

about the P5K-VM ports, I found some more info

SATA 1 root port 2940 (this is port 2)

SATA 5 root port 2948 (this is port 3)

SATA 6 root port 294a (this is port 4)

This is not TRUE!!!!

Never use please

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, i just bought this mobo and built a new computer:

Asus P5K-VM

Q6600

Asus EN8600GT

Asus M210 Case

Power brand Power supply 420w

4gb Ram

LG DVD-RW (IDE)

Seagate 7.11 500gb 32mb

I installed Leo using iAtkos 1.0i with the EFI and got everything working, except the shutdown. When I shutdown everything shuts down except the power supply, it´s weird, the only thing running is the power supply´s fan. Any ideas?

BTW I´m using AHCI.

Thanks!

Hi guys, i just bought this mobo and built a new computer:

Asus P5K-VM

Q6600

Asus EN8600GT

Asus M210 Case

Power brand Power supply 420w

4gb Ram

LG DVD-RW (IDE)

Seagate 7.11 500gb 32mb

I installed Leo using iAtkos 1.0i with the EFI and got everything working, except the shutdown. When I shutdown everything shuts down except the power supply, it´s weird, the only thing running is the power supply´s fan. Any ideas?

BTW I´m using AHCI.

Thanks!

I installed Kalyway 10.5.1 on a P5K-VM and have the same issue. When i select "Shut Down" the OS will shutdown but my fans will still be running. Thoughts on why this is happening?

Thanks

i installed iatkos too

shutdown works nicely

but cant get lan to work (did the edit from post one - maybe it does not work with iatkos because kext content were calles slightly different)

it shows up in the system profiler

but says cable disonnected

same cable works in linux on the same comp

EDIT

fixed that issue:

Here's the trick though (from Conroe Mac in the 965P-DS3 thread):

After rebooting your LAN might not be working yet and showing up as disconnected. Do the following.

- Go to System Preferences, Click on the network icon.

- On the left pane select your ethernet, on the right pane where it says "Configure" select "off".

- Click apply.

- Now back to "Configure" select "Using DHCP". Click apply.

- Your LAN should be working by now.

I am so close with my setup, but I still need a little help/advice -

My P5K-VM is almost working 100%. I just need to figure out how to get the other 2 SATA ports to work. I'm pretty sure it should be possible. The kalyway DVD sees the drives connected there but iATKOS doesn't.

My install was with iATKOS v1.0i - Leo 10.5.1; I believe I needed to add a few patches for the ATI HD 2600 Pro 512MB, gigabit ethernet and sound, but all is working great. Accelerated graphics are working beautifully.

I have tried to do an install with the kalyway DVD - it seems to install normally but I get a kernel panic during the boot. No problem - I'm pretty happy with the iATKOS version but...

I would really really like to get the other 2 SATA ports working. I probably just need to substitute a few of the appropriate KEXTs with the newer/modified ones from the kalyway DVD and I'd be all set.

I checked under WinXP - the IDs for my ICH9 devices are 2921 and 2926. Seems pretty standard. But so far no joy when trying various KEXT suggestions I've found here in the forum.

Any ideas? Anyone had success with all 4 SATA ports? Any thoughts on what to add & what to remove to get all 4 to function?

Thanks,

David

P5K-VM w/Q6600; 3GB ram; ATI HD 2600 Pro 512MB; WD 250GB SATA;

I could get the Kalyway installation to boot with the -x option and all four SATA drives showed up (1-DVD burner/2-OS X 86 drive/3-Win XP drive/4-Vista drive), so I knew (hoped?) it was just a matter of copying the right KEXTs to the iATKOS installation.

I ran an app to find differences between the two "System/Library/Extensions" folders (I used a free program called "DiffMerge") and tried to find differences in some of the SATA-related files that I have been reading about all day...

These are the KEXTs I copied from my not-quite-functional Kalyway install to the iATKOS install. I believe they were:

AppleAHCIPort.kext

AppleLPC.kext

IOACHIFamily.kext

Unfortunately, this was done on top of various prior attempts to get the second set of SATA ports to work so I'm not certain this is all that is needed. I may have copied or edited a KEXT earlier today and forgotten.

Or, it may be just the first two KEXTs that did the trick.

In any event, I am very happy. I have a great mid-level mini-tower quad-core Mac Pro (something I hoped Apple would have announced and I would have ordered at Macworld on Tuesday).

P5K-VM w/Q6600 OC'd a bit to 3.3ghz, Firewire & SATA ports working, Gigabit LAN working, Audio working, ATI HD 2600 Pro 512mb driving 2 monitors with CI/QE working.

It is done! My thanks to everyone who helped solve the various problems with this motherboard over the past few months.

- David

A step by step series of instructions is coming - check back in a couple of hours. I just finished an installation on an old 30GB IDE drive I had in the closet (practically an antique. It was manufactured in Nov. 2000!)

I believe it is all working (except for the power supply LED not always going off when I shutdown - weird, eh?)

This setup gets an XBench v1.3 score of 261 when I turn off the Disk Test. It just didn't seem right to include the pathetic 7 year old drive in the test results...

- David

This installation required (this is what I already had, so this is what I used):

the iATKOS v1.0i 10.5.1 DVD

the Kalyway Leo 10.5.1 DVD - just for a few of its kexts for SATA and audio

Gparted Live CD - to set the boot flag on the drive

Kext Helper b7 - Delish has a link as a signature (see post 1 in this thread to download)

post-163193-1200830759_thumb.jpg

For cooling I'm using something simple & not waaaaay oversized.

the "Hyper TX 2" from CoolerMaster (it was what they had at CompUSA the day I decided that stock cooling probably wasn't good enough for my overclocking setup).

When running a stress test like www.distributed.net's RC5-72 client crunching with all 4 cores the temps generally get to the high 60s c on all cores. System is very stable at this speed. BTW, I have 2x2GB 800 Mhz ram coming this week to replace the 3x1GB 667 ram that is currently in the system.

Maybe the memory is the weak link in my setup. I'll find out soon if the faster memory makes much difference in speed & ability to overclock the system a bit more.

The Install guide is almost done. I have run through a whole re-install one last time & then I'll post it.

- David

David, I am sitting here chewing my fingernails to the bone, I want to try this so bad.

One question I have is this.

Will I be able to install this and get it working witha regular IDE DVD drive?

I do not have a SATA optical drive so please let me know if there is a way to do this without having to go buy a SATA optical