[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

JOY! :rolleyes:

I have a working, fully updated (10.5.4 + Misc updates via Software Update) Hackintosh!!

ASUS P5k-VM (w/ latest BIOS)

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 (Wolfdale, 2.53Ghz, 3mb)

4gb Crucial Ballistix PC2 8500 (DDR2 1066...currently running at 800 till I tweak it)

3 WD RE 250gb SATA I HDDs (running in Enhanced IDE mode, not ACHI)

2 PATA DVD burners (Pioneer and NEC)

I used the iATKOS v4i install disk as my main install.

Onboard ethernet didn't work OOB, so I tried the BlackHC installer, unplugged my ethernet when I rebooted, and plugged it back in after it started up and it worked!!

AND I can see all of my 3 SATA HDDs (while using IDE mode, not ACHI)!!

I'm still testing things, but I was able to install the iPhone SDK and run Software Update without any issues!

I think the onboard graphics is still pegged at 1024 x 768 with no other options, but that works for now.

@BlackHC: THANK YOU for the installer!

@theyoung: Thanks for your suggestions!

Next step!

Multi-boot! :D

JOY! :rolleyes:

I have a working, fully updated (10.5.4 + Misc updates via Software Update) Hackintosh!!

ASUS P5k-VM (w/ latest BIOS)

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 (Wolfdale, 2.53Ghz, 3mb)

4gb Crucial Ballistix PC2 8500 (DDR2 1066...currently running at 800 till I tweak it)

3 WD RE 250gb SATA I HDDs (running in Enhanced IDE mode, not ACHI)

2 PATA DVD burners (Pioneer and NEC)

I think the onboard graphics is still pegged at 1024 x 768 with no other options, but that works for now.

You need to add a Graphic card (Nvidia is my choice) as the onboard graphics doesnt work (no resolution change, no aceleration)....

BlackCH, would you have any idea why I can't get past the "Unable to find Library/.../apple.boot.plist" screen?

I've tried Kalyway/132 Bootloader, now on my way to Leo4All - I just don't think it's related to the distro.

DVD and HD are on SATAs 1&2 of a P5K VM Q6600 with DD2 8500 and nothing else plugged in. Default BIOS with DVD drive boot priority.

Thanks Zaap,

My BIOS options are

SATA configuration [Disable/Compatible/Enhance]

Configure SATA as [AHCI/IDE]

My settings are Enhance/IDE. I have tried all vombinations of read and black.

HD is in 1 and DVD is in 2

Jmicron is disabled

On a lighter note, I was able to do an install with Leo4al lv3 10.5.2

This is the current problem. After installation, in order to not get a "still waiting for root device" message I must go back to the install, and using the Terminal, copy over Leo4All/../Extensions/*ATA* to the extensions folder on my HD.

I the restart and am in Leopard - lovely.

On next reboot, the problem repeats itself

Should I be trying to write-protect these files.. or?

I'd love to write a guide on how to get the current system working, but before doing-so would need to resolve a few niggles:

1. The -f issue

2. System fans stay on when I power off

3. Can't wake from sleep

I'll look into these also, but if any of you have immediate solutions and a few keystrokes to share..

I have Kalyway 10.5.2 running on a P5K-VM, but I keep having issues with USB.

My keyboard and mouse usually are working (and work fine when I switch to Windows) but 1/4 of the time they do not function until I unplug them, and plug them back in. The same with any other usb components I have plugged in while booting.

;)

Here is how to get a pretty good install of Leo 10.5.2 using Leo4all v3 10.5.2 with this hardware:

• Asus P5k VM
  • 2x2GB Fancy Corsair 1066 DDR 2 Ram
  • Asus ATI Radeon 3650 Fanless PCI E card
  • 2xSATA hard drives
  • 1x SATA DVD writer

Problems and feedback:

Dual displays is a bit tricky, sometimes confuses the resolution of monitor 1 with that of monitor 2

Sleep doesn't work

I would love to know of any improvements you have to the install process

Overview

This installation will create three partitions: System disk, Home Folder and a System Recovery

For this setup you will need an HD that you are ready to format.

• 1. Configure BIOS
  • 2. Boot off DVD
  • 3. Install - From here everything is graphical
  • 4. Restart
  • 5. Boot off DVD
  • 6. Run a few terminal commands
  • 7. restart
  • 8. Boot off HD into Mac OS
  • 9. Configure OS X
  • 10. Restart

Bios

I had jmicron switched off, I think it only affects IDE devices

I also had AHCI swithced off (iyt's a vista thing you set in the bios for RAID)

You can leave hard drive as primary boot device

Burn Leo4Allv3 10.5.2 to DVD (make sure to verify the burn, I wasted hours on a bad burn)

Turn on computer with DVD in the drive, and hit F8, you will be asked what deivce to boot of, choose DVD

The installer will kick in and for about five minutes a black screen will be filled with text

Eventually the OSX installer screen will come on, and you choose you installation language

Form the top menu choose Disk Utility

Create three partitions, one for system, one for home and one for system restore

Select your HD and erase it using the HSF+ Journaled option

Close Disk Utility

Back in the installer click next a couple of times, then click customize and choose these options:

- Vanilla 9.22

- About this mac

Finish the installation

Restart

Hit F8 and once agian choose DVD as boot device

Once agian tou have to wait 5 minutes ot get back to the installer

Once there you open the Terminal from the tools menu and type each of these four lines one by one, hitting return between each one.

If it just takes you back to the command prompt after an input, it means it was succesfully done

cp -pr /Volumes/Leo4allv3-10.5.2/System/Library/Extensions/*ATA* /Volumes/MacHD/System/Library/Extensions/

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/MacHD/System/Library/Extensions/*ATA*

chmod -R 755 /Volumes/MacHD/System/Library/Extensions/*ATA*

rm -rf /Volumes/MacHD/System/Library/Extensions.*

In the preceding examples:

MacHD = Name of your system HD

Leo4allv3-10.5.2 = Name of your DVD

Restart the computer and boot off the HD

Hit F8 when it tells you Darwin is booting up

Type -f and hit return

You are now in OSX, from now on it's jsut a question of installing a few drivers and tidying up a few odds and ends

Drivers:

Download and run p5k vm installer (is supposed ot be for 10.5.3 but didn't cause me any pain)

Run Ati 3850 pkg installer

Faster startup:

Open /Library/pref/syscon/apple.com.boot.plist and change

<kernal flags> <string> form -v to -f

Add the following:

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>Yes</strng>

UUID error fix (For backup software such as Super Duper)

2.) Open /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

3.) Add the following after <string>Ethernet</string></dict> the following:

<dict>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en3</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>3</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

ABbPoF5V

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P3@1C,2/

IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci14e4,4311@0/AirPort_Brcm43xx/IO80211Interface</string>

<key>SCNetworkInterfaceType</key>

<string>IEEE80211</string>

</dict>

Sleep mode:

In system preferences go to enrgy saving and turn off sleep mode

Backup - Restore

Copy your home folder to the other HD partition

In system preferences, go to accounts, unlock the padlock, right click on your account and choose advanced.

Tell it to place you Home folder in the one you just created in the 2nd partition

Install Super Duper and create a copy of your system HD in the ghost partition- If ever things screw up, boot off the DVD, and in disk utility you will have the option to restore form this copy and overwrite your butchered system drive

There you go!

I just got my set up working and my graphics card set up. Overall the install and setup was easy. The X1900GT graphics card that I had lying around was the biggest pain in the install, and the only difficulty there was searching around for answers about it. I finally found it in the 10.5.1 section of the HCL. It basically needs to be seen as an X1900XT. Now that QE is working the only other issue I seem to be having is that i seem to get small audio glitches mainly when sounds first start, or emptying the trash, copying files, etc.? Is there a way to correct this. Other than the audio glitch everything seems to run great.

post-178682-1220476707_thumb.png

System Set up as follows

Processor: E8500 3.16GHz (shows at 3.17 in about this mac)

Motherboard: P5K-VM

Hard Drive: 640GB Seagate

Video Card: X1900GT

Wireless N Card: D-Link DWA-542

DVD Writer: Pioneer 216 (SATA)

I pretty much got everything to work using the BlackHC Installer but there is one thing:

Sleep!

Please someone, give me a hint on how I can get sleep working! I really want this feature. i will try a few more kernels and see what i can do...

BlackCH your installer (http://www.mediafire.com/?y2tm0ljnene) got everything going for me. HDA was last on my list.

I have two more bugs that are driving me nuts:

I have an audio pop or static sound when my instant messenger (Adium), or I empty the trash, or receive mail through apple mail, system alerts, etc. I was hoping HDA support would fix it. But it did not. I went to the midi controller in the Utilities folder and switched over to 48000KHz, but that did not do anything for me.

Secondly VLC is bugging out on me. When I try and play a movie, any movie for that matter, the player skips every other second, it looks like trying to watch a skipping dvd.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just tried VLC out, I could observe none of the problems you had. To me this sounds a bit like a timing problem (which I had on my old iHack). Does the clock go at the right speed? What distro/kernel are you running? I use Leo4All v3 upgraded to 10.5.4 running vanilla kernel.

And also: Did you get sleep to work?

• 2 weeks later...
Took the plunge, updated to 10.5.5 and everything is working... except for sleep. I had to reinstall Audio Drivers but apart from that, Stock Software Update did the Job perfectly.

Help me with sleep! Please, anybody...

So you didn't do the Netkas update, you just went for it with the standard Software Update?

Yes, I just used Apple Software Update. It rebooted, spinning wheel, another reboot, Boom!!! (To quote Father Jobs)

Now that I have answered your question, here is mine: How do I get sleep to work?

No idea. Just works on mine. Sleep from the menu or a single push of the main power button. There's no rhyme or reason to some of this stuff. My wife has an identical PC to mine and yet I can't get OSX running on her system at all.

Hey Guys

Long time Mac user - first time OSX86'er

Here is how my first ever OSX86 just went.

System: P5k-VM (latest bios from ASUS)

Intel Q6600 @ 2.4

4GB RAM (Generic)

1 X Seagate 1TB (SATA1) & 1X LG Sata Burner(SATA2)

Nvidia 8600GT 512mb

SATA in bios set to IDE/Enhanced Mode (first tried sata mode & bluescreen flash - reboot in first 2 seconds - went to IDE:-)

Distro - JaS OSx86 10.5.4 Client Server Intel SSE2 SSE3

Booted DVD - Disk Util - GUID - 2 partition - 120g Partition (Boot) - Remaining(Data)

Packages Selected.

Intel sse2/sse3 9.2.0 Sleep

Intel ICHX

NVKush

AppleACPIPowersource

AppleIntelPIIXATA

Intel ICH & PIIX Controller

Intel ICH8 & ICH9 Controller (not sure if i needed all three of those - but there you go)

SMBIOS - 667

Ran install - all went smooth. Reboot & Removed DVD & Booted with -v -f options. Booted in perfect.

Repair Permissions & Reboot (just for test) booted in at light speed (I'm used to a mac Mini so I may be exaggerating ) with out having to touch anything.

Disable sleep from power management

About this mac showing

2.4GHz Unknown processor (does that really matter or is it just cosmetic)

4GB 667mhz DDR2

System profiler showed hdd & dvd on ATA Bus (no bus 3&4 Listed - dont care - not using them anyway)

Graphics - Geforce 8600GT (CI/QE/rotation) but only 256mb ram - resolution change works fine through dvi/adapter.

USB Mouse & KB

Firewire (listed OK but untested)

DVD drive mounts disks as expected

so loaded P5k-VM Driver/enabler package from this thread (thanks!!)

Installed HDA Enabler & Audio1

Repair Permissions & Reboot - YAY, SOUND Working.

Ran Yukon Driver 88E8056 from same P5K-VM installer package - Repair permissions - shutdown (worked) Startup - NO NETWORK :-(

So all in all pretty smooth & Easy so far for my first try. I have 2 unresolved issues

1 : I'm pretty sure my network issues are because I didnt choose an install package for the card during install (yes/no?) if so - what should I have chosen & Can I install it from the DVD Now? (what is the package name & can I just install or use Pacifist)

2: more concerning - I have a USB Drive mounting problem - as in - they dont!! I plug in my external 2.5"HDD the HDD spins up the light comes on & System profiler shows a usb-ide device on the USB port but no Drive mounts or appears in disk utility.

Also - USB Pendrives are the same

Any help would be greatly Appreciated - I would like to get the basic system working & stable (already pretty stable) & Implement some form of backup/restore system before I start getting fancy & installing updats.

TIA - Matt

BTW - Sleep didn't work before I disabled it (sorry no answers there) Maybe the sleep answer lies in the power settings in Bios, RepoMonkey what are your bios ACPI settings at?