[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I just noticed that Samba does not work. Unable from XP to see a smb share in Network Neighborhood. I noticed that I have CFGetHostUUIDString error: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35. Do you have that?

I have the exact same errors in my system.log file

I have the fix of "bult-in" to true in a string...

I'll be {d-sensored} because which fix is that?

@Master Chief - do you use hacked IONetworkingFamily.kext in your Extra folder or on your EFI partition (not sure which method or OS variant you use). I read somewhere cannot remember where that it is needed, I use it though I have the Ethernet fix DSDT. I don't use time machine but do file share with my other box's.

Might be worth a try.

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

@Master Chief - do you use hacked IONetworkingFamily.kext in your Extra folder or on your EFI partition (not sure which method or OS variant you use). I read somewhere cannot remember where that it is needed, I use it though I have the Ethernet fix DSDT. I don't use time machine but do file share with my other box's.

Might be worth a try.

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

Sure, and thanks. The first thing I did was, well after downloading and unzipping it, was:

diff -u ~/Desktop/Info.plist ~/Desktop/Info.plist.chief > ~/Desktop/diff.out

And mine seems to have a lot more card types listed (I can dump the diff.out somewhere if needed, just tell me where to dump it) but Ethernet did not work; at least not before I patched the kext file - after the initial installation of OS X. BTW: The location of my Info.plist file is this one:

/S/L/E/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/

I am currently using the iPC OSX86 distro (v10.5.6) on one of my Asus P5K Pro boards, and the retail (10.5.5) on another Asus P5K Pro board.

@Master Chief - I'm running 10.5.6 retail install, my Yukon kext is in EFI extensions folder. I remember the stuff I read said if the Yukon kext on extra or EFI then IONetworkingFamily Kext needed on Extra or EFI extensions folder. Works for me ok.

Here's my Yukon kext:

AppleYukon2.kext.zip

@BlackCH used EFI strings previous to playing with DSDT - so yeah an alternative option for Master Chief.

Dohh! BlackCH never noticed that, you assume posts on How to P5K VM guide are for that mobo and its revisions!

What I do notice on this forum generally is the lack of self help (ie research) or provision of basic information, loads of posters don't even have their signature set up so you have difficulty in accessing what they have and what it is they are trying to do.

After many installation and testing, I did a test with iPC 10.5.6 (PFF4). My god, it works the first try! Sound, net, file sharing... But I do not like the way that he moved patched kext in /System/Library/Extensions

I do not know why it never worked with the dsdt and kexts for the Yukon of DB1... I suspect a problem with iATKOS ... it should be not so vanilla.

What I do notice on this forum generally is the lack of self help (ie research) or provision of basic information, loads of posters don't even have their signature set up so you have difficulty in accessing what they have and what it is they are trying to do.

I know exactly what you mean. It used to be different

Let me add that do a lot of research: I found out that the Asus P5K-VM has the same LAN/Audio interfaces, and since I am having difficulties getting my Time Machine functional I thought it to be ok - if not then I apologize for my mistake.

But at least I got the OS installed without any help - I ran into several different problems, which I basically solved myself because I did some research. Also, I replied with my specs - actually my daughters system specification; because I want her to have a go with this distro before I go out and buy her a real Mac.

I know/used EFIStudio; I used it to generate the hex code for com.apple.Boot.plist to make the GeForce 8600GT 512MB work 0 and here's that little snippet which BlackCH referred to I guess, which BTW didn't for here:

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x5)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
	<dict>
	<key>built-in</key>
	<string>0x01</string>
	</dict>

If you think that I should post this somewhere else, then say so and I will.

Well mate. Yesterday you posted this:

Bummer! I fixed my Ethernet adapter in 10.5.6 with help of: this

and now I wonder if I can, somehow, fix this "built-in" issue. Any pointers for me? Thanks!

And this:

I have the exact same errors in my system.log file

I'll be {d-sensored} because which fix is that?

So I was trying to lead you to a solution, since you seemed a bit lost. Good you find it by yourself.

Let me add that do a lot of research: I found out that the Asus P5K-VM has the same LAN/Audio interfaces, and since I am having difficulties getting my Time Machine functional I thought it to be ok - if not then I apologize for my mistake.

But at least I got the OS installed without any help - I ran into several different problems, which I basically solved myself because I did some research. Also, I replied with my specs - actually my daughters system specification; because I want her to have a go with this distro before I go out and buy her a real Mac.

I know/used EFIStudio; I used it to generate the hex code for com.apple.Boot.plist to make the GeForce 8600GT 512MB work 0 and here's that little snippet which BlackCH referred to I guess, which BTW didn't for here:

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x5)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
	<dict>
	<key>built-in</key>
	<string>0x01</string>
	</dict>

If you think that I should post this somewhere else, then say so and I will.

About posting here or not, is up to you. The topic says 'P5K-VM'. And dont take it personal; but this forum used to work very different a couple of years ago.

What I wanted to make clear is that you shouldnt use the DSDT.aml file from DB1 'cos it wont work.

Well mate. Yesterday you posted this... And this:...

So I was trying to lead you to a solution, since you seemed a bit lost. Good you find it by yourself.

But only with your help! Thanks!

About posting here or not, is up to you. The topic says 'P5K-VM'.

What I wanted to make clear is that you shuldnt use the DSDT.aml file from DB1 'cos it wont work.

Yeah, I know that (Ubuntu user 101), but I will have a huge list of things to solve before I know 'everything'.

Ask yourself this: How is it to wake up after a 9.5 year void, seeing all sorts of new hard- software like game consoles, iPod, iPhone and what not; that's exactly how I feel right now :(

@mala-zaba

The DSDT.aml I provided is for a RETAIL install I thought this was very clear in my post and my setup can be seen in my signature.

@Master Chief

There's none of us experts and there's always something new to learn. It helps to know clearly what the hardware is, the OS variant, and the problem to be resolved so those that are prepared to give as well as take can and will offer help.

Don't take my response in previous post personal it was a general observation and a confirmation I had not realized your hardware. A prompt also to others reading how they can get the best out of involvement in the forum.

@Master Chief

Don't take my response in previous post personal it was a general observation and a confirmation I had not realized your hardware. A prompt also to others reading how they can get the best out of involvement in the forum.

Hey no problem, and I did add a signature, hoping to find my way around here - I just installed the developers tools and used xcode to build AppleSMBIOS-33.kext for the first time (I want to modify the system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | grep Model output).

After many installation and testing, I did a test with iPC 10.5.6 (PFF4). My god, it works the first try! Sound, net, file sharing... But I do not like the way that he moved patched kext in /System/Library/Extensions

I do not know why it never worked with the dsdt and kexts for the Yukon of DB1... I suspect a problem with iATKOS ... it should be not so vanilla.

So, you are now running iPC 10.5.6 PPF4? I am downloading this distro to test, can you recommend?

So, you are now running iPC 10.5.6 PPF4? I am downloading this distro to test, can you recommend?

I installed iPC PPF5 (I don't think it's too different from PPF4) yesterday and it's working great and I highly recommend it.

-Audio-

It has and ALC883 driver which works perfectly. When it first boots you might have no sound, but just check your audio devices; mine defaulted to headphone output for some reason, but everything worked perfect when I switched back to line out.

-Video-

I'm running an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT PCIE which worked okay but didn't support QE/CI for some reason even though it's supposed to. I reinstalled with just natit and without checking the specific driver for my card and it worked that time. Also I had some sort of issue where the video wouldn't come up on my first boot unless I first used safe-mode (-x). After completing the startup guide, I could boot regularly. I'm not sure how relevant that is for this forum though since I think it was video-card related.

-Network-

There's a dedicated Yukon-88E8056 driver in the installer packages that works great.

-Extras-

It comes with some nice extra apps and patches. I only ran the new SATA hard drive icon patch which worked well. He also left a bunch of languages in for now which is nice.

When it came up, everything worked perfectly except for Firewire, which is a problem everyone has with 10.5.6 and is not related to the distro. I even have access to an IDE drive with Windows that never showed up before in other distros. I still haven't used it too long to know for sure, but so far I haven't gotten the kernel panic caused by the Jmicron driver. I'm going to leave my Jmicron on in the BIOS until I see if it crashes. (I didn't install anything for this; it just seems to work)

-Firewire-

I also tried getting firewire to work with the advice from a few pages back. When I disabled HPET, my machine would only run about 10 seconds before a kernel panic, even in safe, single-user mode. I had to reinstall to get it back up. I might try a few more things, but it's not a huge deal for me; I just need to go get a USB cable instead for my external.

So you don´t select any usb patch or firewire fix? And what about bootloader? I can select alternate bootloader chameleon with smbios/dsdt? What is that, i thought this is default...

In the comparison to iAtkos install there are so many thing to choose from, I am just little bit scared what to choose. There are so many fixes, do I need them?

@mala-zaba

The DSDT.aml I provided is for a RETAIL install I thought this was very clear in my post and my setup can be seen in my signature.

Yes, it was clear that you were on a RETAIL. I thought, mistakenly, that the iATKOS base system was vanilla . I do not have a retail version with me. I have a DVD cut to a single layer, but it works badly. I will try to obtain a complete DVD (DL)

So you don´t select any usb patch or firewire fix? And what about bootloader? I can select alternate bootloader chameleon with smbios/dsdt? What is that, i thought this is default...

In the comparison to iAtkos install there are so many thing to choose from, I am just little bit scared what to choose. There are so many fixes, do I need them?

I'm no expect and I was a little worried about what to pick too, but things worked out by only picking what I was sure I needed. Here's what I used as well as I can remember:

-Kernel-

Don't pick anything; it defaults to vanilla

I also tried Voodoo one time to see if it would fix firewire, but it didn't. Firewire works during the install process which is apparently running on Voodoo, but maybe it's also an older version of the OS too. Anyway, Voodoo also works, and I've heard some people recommend it over Vanilla. I forgot to check sleep or anything though.

-Video-

Pick your own card or natit itself covers most cards I think

-Audio-

Just ALC883 (not ALC883d)

-Network-

Yukon-88E8056

-Chipset, Bootloader, etc-

I didn't pick anything and it seemed to work fine. But if anyone else knows of a patch that does usually need to be applied for this board, please let me know. As far as I know these are only things you have to add if you run into a problem and someone mentions that one of these will fix your problem.

-Patches-

I applied the new hard drive icon fix so my drives won't be yellow.

One time I tried the Firewire patch, but it didn't seem to do anything. It mentions a mounting problem, but my missing firewire is that the port isn't even recognized so I think this is unrelated.

My USB works fine as is without any patches

-Apps-

One time when my videocard wasn't doing QE/CI, I ran OSx86 Tools and just installing the PCI helper in that program fixed the problem. I have no idea why, but now I keep installing this in case I need to do that again.

I just select driver for my materials. ICH9, ALC883 and Lan driver. I take SMBIOSEFI, PC-EFI v9, UUID fix and Restart/shurdown fix (OHR fix).

Except that I noticed mouse lag (USB mouse)

@DB1

For your installation (English is not my primary language), Once installed the retail, you use your dsdt.aml which ethernet fix, and you only use AppleAHCIPort, AppleDecrypt, AppleYukon2, IOAHCIFamily and IONetworkingFamily (your P5KVMdsdtfixed_enet_hdef.zip) and SMBIOSEnabler or resolver...?

In theory, when I'm going to have a retail DVD, I could install it with boot-132 and use your dsdt.aml and modified kextx in /Extra/Extensions? or work only with munky EFI partition boot method?

I just select driver for my materials. ICH9, ALC883 and Lan driver. I take SMBIOSEFI, PC-EFI v9, UUID fix and Restart/shurdown fix (OHR fix).

You also need to select: VIA/SIS/Marvell/SB Chipset Drivers.

Except that I noticed mouse lag (USB mouse)

Me too, sometimes (with a Logitech wireless USB mouse).