[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm trying to use the kexts and dsdt.aml files from DB1 on page 17.

However, I cannot seems to get the system boot on its own. When booting verbose, I get the error Still waiting for root device, eventhough it seems that JMicronATA kext is loaded.

Here is what I've done:

1. Use Slimbuild guide to make Boot-132 CD for retail install.

2. On first boot, I added EFI string for graphic card and ethernet.

3. Install Chameleon 2.0 RC1

4. Copy dsdt.aml files and kexts from DB1 post. Repair permissions and generate mkext using mkext tool.

Any help? I'm trying to move toward retail install from now on, since even with XxX distro, I still get a lot of random freeze.

Thanks.

EDIT:

I tried to use mkext posted by BlackCH here and dsdt.aml file from DB1 post. It boots but other SATA drives are not recognized, also, sound doesn't work.

Can someone (BlackCH or DB1) share their mkext file, or point me to a list of known working kexts and dependencies for this board. I've been searching around the board but nothing really gives a functional boot as XxX distro (from which I'm trying to move away from, retail install seems to be the best bet right now)

Thanks all. And I'm sorry if I bugged some of you by PM. But I've spent more than a week reading up almost all the guides on this site to install vanilla setup and it gets frustrating.

@Farx - Lost sleep when changing to Chameleon RC1 - was working fine with previous version. When I get some time I'll try to fix, then again there will be further releases that may resolve the problem. If you dont need multi boot and the other nice to haves stick with the previous version for a stable set up

@popophobia - have mailed the mkext

For the life of me, I cannot get your kexts to work, DB1 :P

The only thing that can boot this up is to use BlackCH mkext on post #273. But the boot up is really slow, and none of the SATA drive I have is recognized.

When I put in your kext (folder /Extra/Extensions with PC EFI v9 install), the system does not boot, still waiting for root device error...

Here is a screenshot.

img2092k.th.jpg

I'm reinstalling the retail for the 7th time in 2 days, hoping for the best. The only thing that is deviated a standard set up is my PATA DVD writer. But I don't even use it.

Is it a better choice to try kext by kext until I get the right combo, or that's just too silly?

Just to make sure, besides regenerating the mkext, I just have to boot from the HDD with no argument, right?

@DB1

Thanx for you reply.

The Sleep of my friend's P5K-E is now working fine after using Slice's USB driver.

I have found that P5K-E's Card Type of AppleUSBUHCI is PCI, and AppleUSBEHCI is built-in. But My Gigabyte mobo, Card Type of AppleUSBUHCI is built-in, and AppleUSBEHCI is PCI.

Is it possible to let Leopard take all USB for built-in?

Hi guys,

It's me again, sorry for the monologues, but I've got a combination of kexts to boot my machine. I'm using EFTStudio Boot Partition to install munky method.

The only kext that I cannot load from the EFI partition is sound (from XxX DVD). Is there any trick to that?

I hope this vanilla install is more stable than the hacked one. No more kernel panic I hope.

Hi my fellow P5K-VM users. I've had my Hackintosh up and running very successfully for over a year now. Most recent update I did was the 10.5.5. However when I read up on the process of upgrading to 10.5.6 it just scared the {censored} out of me and made little sense - I couldn't find one single guide anywhere that just laid it out step by step without assuming we'd understand all the new terminology that came in with that patch. Anyway - 10.5.7's here now and I'm worried I'm being left behind. So couple of questions:

1) What's the best way of upgrading from 5.5 to 5.7? Combo update? Something else? Not worry about it?

2) I know that BlackCH (props incidentally for all the hard work you've done on this) and his XxX distro is the way to go - shall I just zap the hard drive, run a new install off XxX (I originally began with Leo4All) and let my Time Machine backup restore all my stuff? I have no great problem with doing that.

Anyway - hoping you do a 5.7 ISO BlackCH - would be great to have a fully updated system before Apple roll out Snow Leopard. ;)

I updated without problems: You need to get rid of the LegacyHDA kexts; they will cause panic after updating. Make sure you have appledecrypt and cpupmdisabler kexts loaded before anything.

to be in the safe side:

-Make sure you are running Chameleon2 or PCEFI9

-get the updated p5k-vm pack

-Put the Extensions.mkext file you will find on your /Extra/ folder

-reboot

-Apply the 10.5.7 update

If everything goes good, you will need to reinstall audio kexts, network kexts and a systemprofiler patch (all included on the pack)

10.5.7 updated pack:

http://www.mediafire.com/?wy4jkdyiozz

make a backup before updating just in case

The Sleep of my friend's P5K-E is now working fine after using Slice's USB driver.

@Farx: I tried this and did not succeed. Can you specify exactly what you did for this. IOUSBFamily.kext (updated per Slice's instructions) + IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext result in restart when attempting to sleep.

The previous way (10.5.6) for getting sleep to work with EHCISleepEnabler.kext (now VoodooUSBEHCI.kext) from superhai does not work any longer either.

I updated without problems...

@BlackCH: Thanks for providing clear instructions. I have gone an alternate way, but have not been able to get sleep to work. Everything else works beautifully, sound, firewire, etc. I use the attached Extensions.mkext with a pure retail install, with no dsdt, with the only modification to the /S/E folder containing the 10.5.6 (unhacked) version of the AppleHDA.kext. With the 10.5.7 version of AppleHDA.kext in /S/E/, I do get a kernel panic. I do have EFI strings in the boot prefs, also attached.

I think this is the closest imitation of the retail install that I can come up with, but what to do with the sleep issue? A couple pages back, during a discussion of XxX, you had mentioned a USB_sleep option. What does that do? Any other pointers would be welcome...

EDIT: The shutdown problem has been resolved by replacing the 10.5.7 IOUSBFamily.kext with the one from 10.5.5, see post #367.

EDIT 2: I am using the Cameleon 2.0RC1. Also, the boot prefs included has the 8800 GT EFI string in there. You will need to swap it out. The Boot prefs also contains network and audio EFI strings.

EDIT 3: You can safely remove dsmos.kext (thx BlackCH!), and AppleSMBIOS.kext from the Extensions.mkext, but IOATAFamily.kext needs to stay as removal causes missing SATA ports 3 and 4 (and delays during boot while the computer is looking for the ports).

10.5.7_Retail.zip

I think this is the closest imitation of the retail install that I can come up with, but what to do with the sleep issue? A couple pages back, during a discussion of XxX, you had mentioned a USB_sleep option. What does that do? Any other pointers would be welcome...

To me the only way to get sleep working is downgrade the kernel and use voodoo 1.0 (you will need to reinstall seatbelt and system kexts)...

BTW, for the ones trying to boot retail disks I've uploaded a P5K-VM custom U-EFI (by iPhoneTom) stick image:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mwbu4zvbjiq

You will need windows (native or under VMWare) to restore the image to your USB stick. The image also contains a custom DSDT. Once you restore it you can add/remove files as you wish

note: I use a IDE dvd drive attached to the JMicron controller. I dont know if the stick will boot a SATA dvd drive, but it reads (and boot) my internal SATA HDs so it could work too.

@Farx: I tried this and did not succeed. Can you specify exactly what you did for this. IOUSBFamily.kext(updated per Slice's instructions) + IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext result in restart when attempting to sleep.

The previous way (10.5.6) for getting sleep to work with EHCISleepEnabler.kext (now VoodooUSBEHCI.kext) from superhai does not work any longer either.

My friend's mobo is P5K-E_WiFiAP.

His Leopard is vanilla installation with EFI-Boot. Slice's IOUSBFamily.kext + IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext together with OpenHaltRestart.kext are put in S/L/E folder, Or vanilla 10.5.5 USB driver together with OpenHaltRestart.kext are put in S/L/E folder. Either is working fine.

I updated without problems: You need to get rid of the LegacyHDA kexts; they will cause panic after updating. Make sure you have appledecrypt and cpupmdisabler kexts loaded before anything.

to be in the safe side:

-Make sure you are running Chameleon2 or PCEFI9

-get the updated p5k-vm pack

-Put the Extensions.mkext file you will find on your /Extra/ folder

-reboot

-Apply the 10.5.7 update

If everything goes good, you will need to reinstall audio kexts, network kexts and a systemprofiler patch (all included on the pack)

10.5.7 updated pack:

http://www.mediafire.com/?wy4jkdyiozz

make a backup before updating just in case

Thanks, BlackCH, for your help with this motherboard. It has made updating to 10.5.7 a breeze - with one issue for me:

I'm having trouble getting firewire to work - which was fine in 10.5.6

The kernel panic I get when the "Disabler.kext" is installed:

No HPETs available...CPU(s) configured incorrectly\n"@/SourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

Any ideas?

I'd love to get the firewire working again - for my old iSight camera.

Thanks,

David

I used kexts similar to BlackCH set up and didn't have kernel panic when upgrading. I just need to patch the sound kext and that was good to go.

I think munky EFI method is the easiest thing to get retail installation going on this board. Especially if we use EFIStudio along with it. In fact, once i figured out everything I need, it takes 2 clicks to get the new installation to boot.

If anyone is interested in the bundled EFIStudio for P5K-VM, I'm willing to upload it. All the kexts are embedded in the app, which is great.

The only thing still bugs me is the name of the output from AppleHDA.kext. They all have the same name, which can cause lots of trouble for Plex - it identifies output by name.

@Farx: I reinstalled the 10.5.5 of IOUSBFamily.kext (original Apple) swapping out the 10.5.7, and sleep ability came back. The fans stay a little faster for unknown reasons after wake, but no worries. Repeated wakes work fine. Also, checking out superhai's web site, regarding VoodooUSBEHCI.kext, it looks like the reasons this kext stopped working is due to some incompatibility with 10.5.7. So, until that is resolved, this is the solution for me.

VoododooUSBEHCI - 10.5.7 compatability

Thanks, BlackCH, for your help with this motherboard. It has made updating to 10.5.7 a breeze - with one issue for me:

I'm having trouble getting firewire to work - which was fine in 10.5.6

The kernel panic I get when the "Disabler.kext" is installed:

No HPETs available...CPU(s) configured incorrectly\n"@/SourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

Any ideas?

I'd love to get the firewire working again - for my old iSight camera.

Thanks,

David

Make sure you have IntelCPUPDisabler.kext either on your /Extra/ folder (inside the mkext file) or on S/L/Extensions/...

If the Disabler (HPET disabler provided in the link) doesnt work, then you can try to delete the AppleHPET.kext to get the onboard firewire to work.

Actually Im using a firewire PCI card...

@Farx: I reinstalled the 10.5.5 of IOUSBFamily.kext (original Apple) swapping out the 10.5.7, and sleep ability came back. The fans stay a little faster for unknown reasons after wake, but no worries. Repeated wakes work fine. Also, checking out superhai's web site, regarding VoodooUSBEHCI.kext, it looks like the reasons this kext stopped working is due to some incompatibility with 10.5.7. So, until that is resolved, this is the solution for me.

Nice!, are you using vanilla kernel? OpenHaltRestart.kext?

Nice!, are you using vanilla kernel? OpenHaltRestart.kext?

Yeah, kernel, and everything else is retail, and plain vanilla, with the two exceptions below:

AppleHDA.kext - vanilla from 10.5.6

IOUSBFamily.kext - vanilla from 10.5.5

The /Extra folder has the following kexts (available from post #361):

AppleDecrypt.kext

AppleYukon2.kext

Disabler.kext (includes disable for hpet for Firewire to work, but removed the disable for AppleUpstreamUserClientDriver for QT mouse lag fix, as this issue went away with 10.5.7)

dsmos.kext

IOATAFamily.kext for 4 drives

IONetworkingFamily.kext for Yukon

For audio, I use orange marked items from stickpin / tmongkol

+ legacy stuff

+ jmicron with 64 bit support

+ OpenHaltRestart.kext

Everything works with no exceptions that I can see...

post-287063-1242471076_thumb.png

Yeah, kernel, and everything else is retail, and plain vanilla, with the two exceptions below:

AppleHDA.kext - vanilla from 10.5.6

IOUSBFamily.kext - vanilla from 10.5.5

The /Extra folder has the following kexts (available from post #361):

AppleDecrypt.kext

AppleYukon2.kext

Disabler.kext (includes disable for hpet for Firewire to work, but removed the disable for AppleUpstreamUserClientDriver for QT mouse lag fix, as this issue went away with 10.5.7)

dsmos.kext

IOATAFamily.kext for 4 drives

IONetworkingFamily.kext for Yukon

For audio, I use orange marked items from stickpin / tmongkol

+ legacy stuff

+ jmicron with 64 bit support

+ OpenHaltRestart.kext

Everything works with no exceptions that I can see...

Do you also use the VoodooUSBEHCI.kext? How many audio channels do you get with stickpin kexts?

I notice you have both dsmos and AppleDecrypt; you need just one of those. AppleDecrypt works better I think.

Form 10.5.4 on you dont really need the IOATAFamily.kext to get the 4 SATA ports to work anymore; they work just with the legacy kexts.

Would you suggest I update from 5.5 or do a clean install with your XxX ISO and update from there? :rolleyes:

I dont think theres much difference. In both cases you need to know what kexts are you using and what to reinstall after the update. Personally I dont like to reinstall the whole thing as its my main OS and I have all my working apps, customizations, etc; my laptop has been running since 10.5 (and updated till 10.5.7) without reinstall. In the other hand if you havent installed many applications a fresh install is always good; it might perform better.

Make sure you have IntelCPUPDisabler.kext either on your /Extra/ folder (inside the mkext file) or on S/L/Extensions/...

If the Disabler (HPET disabler provided in the link) doesnt work, then you can try to delete the AppleHPET.kext to get the onboard firewire to work.

Actually Im using a firewire PCI card...

Thanks! That got my firewire to work:

The Disabler.kext was already in the Extras folder. I removed the AppleHPET.kext from S/L/E and put the IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext into the Extras folder. All is good, no more panics!

- David

Here is my kexts, I used this with munky EFI partition, didn't have kernel panic when upgrading to 10.5.7. Sound fix (HDAEnabler and AppleHDA) extracted from XxX release.

post-193318-1242492890_thumb.png

EFIStudio with the above kext is here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c0892eb...04e75f6e8ebb871

I highly recommend EFI Boot Partition tool (basically munky script, made into GUI). Very quick and easy set up.

@BlackCH: Did you modify the audio kext (ALC883 in XxX install, specifically for P5K-VM board) yourself or you got it somewhere? I want to change the output name to something more unique. Is THe KiNG tutorial the one I should read? Here are my outputs. They all have the same names..

post-193318-1242493349_thumb.png

Do you also use the VoodooUSBEHCI.kext? How many audio channels do you get with stickpin kexts?

I notice you have both dsmos and AppleDecrypt; you need just one of those. AppleDecrypt works better I think.

Form 10.5.4 on you dont really need the IOATAFamily.kext to get the 4 SATA ports to work anymore; they work just with the legacy kexts.

I dont think theres much difference. In both cases you need to know what kexts are you using and what to reinstall after the update. Personally I dont like to reinstall the whole thing as its my main OS and I have all my working apps, customizations, etc; my laptop has been running since 10.5 (and updated till 10.5.7) without reinstall. In the other hand if you havent installed many applications a fresh install is always good; it might perform better.

Thanks BlackCH. I will remove dsmos. I kinda suspected I had one too many. The VoodooUSBEHCI is not working with 10.5.7, so it is not there. but I was using it successfully with 10.5.6. 10.5.5, did not need anything other than OpenHaltRestart. For audio, I am attaching pix to show the audio channels. I have no audio issues.

post-287063-1242495909_thumb.png

post-287063-1242495958_thumb.png

post-287063-1242495999_thumb.png

I'm at a point where I need to reinstall. Basically i imported all my settings from mt MBP drive and I think that has created issues due to extra kexts and i sometimes get Kernel Panic due to Nvidia drivers. I still don't have restart or sleep working despite having the required kexts present.

At this point i'm not sure if i should move ahead with BlackCH's XxX install (from scratch) or try a munky's method retail install.

I'm no expert and most of the things you guys are talking about are flying right over my head. This thread is a huge blessing (it helped keep me in business while my MBP was gone for repairs) but popophobia do you think you could compile tutorial for retail install for this specific board. Sometimes the excess information on this board gets me going round in circles.

You guys are the guides and we are the followers... i feel the level of 'expert talk' is at a point where common adopters like me are unable cling on to everything that's being said.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.