Hmmm. I'm very happy with my fully-functioning 10.5.5 setup:

Q6600 @ 3.1 Ghz

8GB 800mhz ram

3 SATA drives & 1 SATA CD/DVD burner

HD3870 512MB video

on-board 10/100/1000 ethernet

on-board 2 channel audio

Firewire and Time Machine both working fine

As much as I'd like to install 10.5.6 I don't think I can live without any of the features I already have.

Is there some great reason to struggle with this upgrade? One or more "must-have" features? Or should I just wait and save my energy for the battle with 10.6 in (hopefully) just a few months?

- David

I think there's a lot to be said for doing a clean install on the larger updates like this one - and definitely for the major updates like 10.6. Personally I'm going to use one of the spare drives in my system for a clean install. If it works okay and I manage to get everything up and running again, including Firewire and Sleep - then I'll just run that install and leave the 10.5.5 as a backup. I think there's a huge temptation to always try and stay at the bleeding edge, but my Hackintosh is now my main PC and as much as I'd love to stay current, I can't afford to be without things like Firewire. :D

I decided to give it a try on the backup SATA drive I keep for true (non-Time Machine) backup. (FYI - I love SuperDuper! for this. Fast, easy, functional.) If it wasn't good enough I'd just backup my 10.5.5 drive to it again.

A quick rundown of my attempt-

I began with the iATKOS v5i DVD (which can probably be found in the usual places...) and

Formated the SATA drive, did a 10.5.5 install.

Had to fix the ethernet with the same "edit the IONetwork kext" as I described before.

Had to find a new fix for the AppleHDA kext to get sound working.

This basically got me back to where I started, but

--> with new 10.5.6- and 10.6-ready boot setup (EFI v9 or Chameleon or both - whatever the iATKOS DVD installed... It's all good. Solving problems I didn't even know I might have...)

I backed this volume up (to save having to do it all again if the 10.5.6 install was "close but no cigar")

and ran the 10.5.6 Combo update previously downloaded.

It took a few steps to solve the problems:

fix the network kext again

fix the sound again

fix Time Machine

(I think I used OSX86Tools and UInstaller from pcwiz for most of this hxxp://######.com/ )

Still no firewire, but everything else seems ok. My only firewire device is an old iSight camera that I haven't used much lately, so I think this will do.

I ran the Migration Assistant to pull over just about everything from the 10.5.5 drive and...

I'm good!

And one day, if/when a firewire fix comes along, I'll be at 100%

- David

Attached zip file DSDT (fixes for ethernet & HDA 5.1), HDA does not show in profiler but everything works fine. Also kexts for Chameleon / Munky EFI RETAIL install boot methods.

Is working OK with 10.5.6 though still firewire & sleep wake issues to resolve (I'm working on these). Works perfect with 10.5.5 no issues at all. (Have 2 hdd's and have tested on both).

If you don't have sata drive/s you wont need the AppleAHCIPort & IOAHCIFamily kexts (Gujal's work).

P5KVMdsdtfixed_enet_hdef.zip

Merry Christmas all.

UPDATE: Can anyone trying this confirm if Firewire working or not - it may be similar to HDA i.e. not showing in Profiler but is actually working. (I don't have any firewire devices to try)

On the P5K-VM with kalyway installation upgraded to 10.5.6, Firewire starts working if AppleHPET.kext (version 1.3 is what came with 10.5.6) is removed or replaced with the 10.5.5 version (1.1). However, the 1.1 does not appear to be loaded when checked with

kextstat -b com.apple.driver.AppleHPET

whereas 1.3 does show up as loaded. So, installing 1.1 from 10.5.6 is as good as removing it altogether it seems. HPET is the high precision event timer, and removing it may cause issues. Firewire card sitting on the PCI bus is recognized with no issue in all cases.

Is there a better way to enable Firewire WITHOUT removing AppleHPET.kext?

I heard this is due a IRQ conflict between the two devices; theres probably a way to fix it editing the DSDT but for now removing the HPET kext is the only fix I've seen so far. However I get 'ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure' message at boot.

I modded the Disabler.kext to prevent the AppleHPET to load.

Put the Disabler.kext on your /Extra/Extensions/ folder (dont forget to fix permissions on the file). It also works fine when is loaded from /Extra/Extensions.mkext.

If you want it on the /S/L/Extensions folder you need to edit the plist on the kext; change the IOProbescore value to 1000. Then install with Kexthelper.

AppleHPETDisabler.kext.zip

Firewire and HPET should look like this on your ioreg -ls output:

hpet.zip

BlackCH;

Following your instructions, I now have Firewire working and AppleHPET.kext (1.3) loading at the same time. The steps I followed are:

install your Disabler.kext using Kext Helper b7

drag and drop a copy of /System/Library/AppleHPET.kext to /Extra/AppleHPET.kext

run the following two commands from Terminal just to be sure (may not be necessary):

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/AppleHPET.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/AppleHPET.kext

reboot

With that, now everything works with the P5K-VM board with 10.5.6. If anyone has any remaining issues, I can post specific instructions for general installation of 10.5.6 on top of 10.5.5 upgraded kalyway on P5K-VM.

Thanks BlackCH!!!

BlackCH;

Following your instructions, I now have Firewire working and AppleHPET.kext (1.3) loading at the same time. The steps I followed are:

install your Disabler.kext using Kext Helper b7

drag and drop a copy of /System/Library/AppleHPET.kext to /Extra/AppleHPET.kext

run the following two commands from Terminal just to be sure (may not be necessary):

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/AppleHPET.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/AppleHPET.kext

reboot

With that, now everything works with the P5K-VM board with 10.5.6. If anyone has any remaining issues, I can post specific instructions for general installation of 10.5.6 on top of 10.5.5 upgraded kalyway on P5K-VM.

Thanks BlackCH!!!

If you could post those specific instructions I would be in debt to you!

BlackCH;

Have you check if Firewire works properly?; I dont have any devices to check ATM.

I also wonder how it looks your HPET in the ioreg.... Can you post it as a txt file?

prettyhatem;

Below are the basic instructions of what I have done for a successful installation of 10.5.6 on P5K-VM from 10.5.5 updated kalyway installation:

BACKUP (you will need it) I used Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC)

Install PC-EFI and DSDT patcher per http://insanelymac.blogspot.com/2008/12/pr...pdating-to.html

reboot

Make and install plug per http://insanelymac.blogspot.com/2008/12/pr...pdating-to.html DO NOT REBOOT

Install vanilla Appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext per insanelymac instructions (the file is floating around)

reboot

straight install 10.5.6 (~300 meg version, not the patch version, not the Combo)

install SMBIOSResolver from http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html edit its info.list as needed (fixes About this Mac)

relaunch UInstaller and install timemachine patch (fixes timemachine)

backup AppleHDA.kext

bring AppleHDA.kext from ccc backup mirror (fixes audio)

remove Appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext

reboot

install EHCISleepEnabler from http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html also patching IOUSBFamily per instructions from the readme on same line (fixes sleep)

backup IOUSBFamily and install the patched one

then fix Firewire per BlackCH's instructions a few postings up...

Best of luck...

BlackCH;

I did check with two separate Firewire drives, and they do mount and open properly. However, I have not done extensive testing. Firewire Bus also now appears under About this Mac/More Info... I am attaching ioreg info... Thanks.

post-287063-1231184882_thumb.png

post-287063-1231184896_thumb.png

post-287063-1231185066_thumb.png

ioreg.rtf

Bikinifarm:

Is what I thought; the appleHPET.kext isnt really loaded on your system. Otherwise firewire wouldnt work.

I would put that kext back on the S/L/Extensions folder and put the disabler on the /Extra/Extensions/

your IOREG would look like this:

| +-o HPET  <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy $
| | | {
| | |   "IOInterruptControllers" = ("io-apic-0")
| | |   "name" = <"PNP0103">
| | |   "IODeviceMemory" = (({"address"=18446744073689628672,"length"=1024}$
| | |   "IOInterruptSpecifiers" = (<0800000000000000>)
| | |   "_STA" = 15
| | | }
| | | 
| | +-o Disabler  <class Disabler, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, r$
| |	 {
| |	   "IOProbeScore" = 1000
| |	   "IOProviderClass" = "IOACPIPlatformDevice"
| |	   "CFBundleIdentifier" = "net.osrom.kext.Disabler"
| |	   "IOMatchCategory" = "IODefaultMatchCategory"
| |	   "IONameMatched" = "PNP0103"
| |	   "IOClass" = "Disabler"
| |	   "IONameMatch" = "PNP0103"
| |	 }

I think this way is cleaner.

However Im not sure whats the concequences of running without HPET....

BlackCH

I was sure that AppleHPET was loaded because I had run

kextstat -b com.apple.driver.AppleHPET

shortly after booting BUT before connecting the firewire drive. And it had come back with a response

Index Refs Address    Size       Wired      Name (Version) <Linked Against>
  42    0 0x80f56000 0x3000     0x2000     com.apple.driver.AppleHPET (1.3)

Following your message, I reissued the command, and to my surprise, the AppleHPET.kext was no longer loaded. A small test reconfirms that, with the set-up I had, once a firewire drive is connected, the AppleHPET.kext drops out. And stays out even if the firewire drive is disconnected.

For further testing, I followed your latest advise, and repositioned the two kext's. Upon booting, AppleHPET is loaded

Index Refs Address    Size       Wired      Name (Version) <Linked Against>
  40    0 0x80d25000 0x3000     0x2000     com.apple.driver.AppleHPET (1.3)

However, similarly, once firewire is connected (and disconnected), AppleHPET is gone. So, still no Firewire and AppleHPET.kext at the same time. Bummer. Many thanks, though, for your help... Let me know if any other suggestions...

EDIT:

Once the firewire drive is disconnected, I was able to reload the kext by:

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHPET.kext

In my setup (Disabler.kext loading from /Extra/Extensions.mkext file and AppleHPET.kext on /S/L/E folder) the disabler kext is hooked to the HPET ioreg device:

post-51637-1231327982_thumb.png

AppleHPET is not loaded (even without firewire devices connected) and Firewire seems to work fine (Shown in SystemProfiler, related kexts loaded and hooked to the ioreg device).

If you load the Disabler.kext from Extra/Extensions/ folder instead, change the IOProbeScore value to 1000 in the plist inside the kext. That might help to get the disabler loaded properly and stop the hpet.kext to load. AFAICU we cannot have Firewire and HPET at the same time for now;

Hi all,

Hi use iAtkos5i and make update to 10.5.6 from the apple. If i would like finish my install for my P5K-VM and use information from bikinifarm:

I have already PC-EFI V9

Make and install plug per http://insanelymac.blogspot.com/2008/12/pr...pdating-to.html DO NOT REBOOT

Install vanilla Appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext per insanelymac instructions (the file is floating around)

I have already generic DSDT (I think) from install.

straight install 10.5.6 (~300 meg version, not the patch version, not the Combo)

install SMBIOSResolver from http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html edit its info.list as needed (fixes About this Mac)

I have already made update and I have SMBIOSResolver from install

backup AppleHDA.kext

bring AppleHDA.kext from ccc backup mirror (fixes audio)

My audio is OK.

remove Appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext
I need to check if I have this kext

install EHCISleepEnabler from http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html also patching IOUSBFamily per instructions from the readme on same line (fixes sleep)

backup IOUSBFamily and install the patched one

I need to make this...

Do I need use the P5KVMdsdtfixed from DB1? If so, I replace the file dsdt.aml and kexts of Extra iAtkos?

Thank for your help.

@mala-zaba

The DSDT fixed file I uploaded fixes Lan & HDA on RETAIL installs, i.e you don't need any kext for audio or other fixes for lan. I have no experience with iAtkos distro, and in any case if your audio and lan are ok then you dont need that DSDT.

@DB1

Thank you for your explanation. I will try your DSDT on iAtkos because is almost like a vanilla since modified kext are located in the directory extra. I will change my install like fresh install and try to see if it works with your change.

Ok. After 3 install, I have always one error. I install iATkos (10.5.5). I use a special gfx string for DVI port of my 8500GT. I use this : P5KVMdsdtfixed_enet_hdef.zip for my Lan. I unzip, replace my dsdt.alm and all my /Extra with the zip files (rm -r before and cp -r in terminal). Ethernet work but not the sound. I install HDAEnabler and AppleHDA from the p5k-vm intaller. All work. Make update to 10.5.6, (Apple update), lost the sound. I reinstall AppleHDA. I have sound control, I can up and dow the sound but noting in the speaker...

Help! :)

Hi all here,

I have this mobo, but I don´t know, what should I have checked during installation process. Can you please give me an advise? I have Geforce 8600 GT Silent 256 Mb.

I want to install iDeneb v5i :) And then 10.5.6....

Thank you so much for your help

If I would be able to fix the sound, I would say iATKOS because it is closer to a retail install that iDeneb

Mala-zaba;

In order to enable the sound;

REMOVE AppleAzaliaAudio and ALCInject (if you have them)

INSTALL the attached HDAEnabler and the AppleHDA 1.4.0a22 (patched for P5K-VM)

AppleHDA.kext.zip

HDAEnabler.kext.zip