[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

Thanks for the package, BlackCH. Just what I needed after updating!

However, I've been plagued by this since the beginning: the sound works but I hear static when it first tries to make a sound. It's not a problem when watching video, but when you hear a short sound like "Funk" it gets annoying fast (and no, it's not the speakers).

The Kalyway 10.5.2 was the install with default options for the sound. I've never heard anyone else with this board mention this problem, so maybe I've forgotten something along the line.

Also, since someone said they had problems... I would like to report that I had NO trouble using my DV camcorder via firewire in iLife. Works as expected!

edit: new installed with Kalyway 10.5.2, no sound options selected. updated Kalyway version 10.5.3 and installed BlackCH's pkg, new sound options are available for output and input. however, sound cracking still occurs whenever new sound is played. This DOES interfere with any music playing also. Also I notice that iDVD does not display video even if video card:

Quartz Extreme: Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Rotation: Supported

It also skips a lot even though I can't see it. I'm not sure if skipping issue would be video or related to sound issue.

I'm surprised no one else has said a peep about sound issues with this board, everyone seems to think it works perfect. I also tried BIOS update 0803.

Oh and last thing, this does not seem to work with gigabit ethernet, only Media Subtype: 100baseTX

Not a big deal, but info might be useful info to others.

Hi, I tried to get the P5W-DH that everyone says works so well, but got two DOA from ebay, so now I think I'll go with the P5K-VM since I can get it from a store and it seems about as compatible. Anyway, I see that IDE is listed as supported in this guide, but I've seen other threads where people seemed to have problems. Does anyone know if I could

1. Install from an IDE DVD drive?

2. Run SATA drives and IDE drives simultaneously?

I have a lot of old IDE drives around I'd like to use for Time machine and multi-booting. Thanks a lot!

I got this board a few days ago. Working great here.

I've made an installer with all the needed drivers:

SATA IDE (by Dune) all channels

SATA AHCI id and icons fix

Restart Fix (by ToH)

Audio (3 channels output (by Taruga) or 2 channels + Spdif; mic and line input on both)

HDAEnabler (by kabyl and Taruga)

Yukon 8808056 Network

Enjoy.

Link (10.5.3 ONLY)

http://www.mediafire.com/?y2tm0ljnene

Hi BlackCH,

Can you shed some light on whether you upgraded to 10.5.3 via KALYWAY 10/5/3 update? Did you have 10.5.2 under use when you upgraded or did you do a Fresh 10.5.2 install and then upgraded to 10.5.3 immediately?

Very kind of you to share the install package...

I have KALYWAY 10.5.2 running flawlessly on my P5K-VM, but i didn't install the sound back then... and right now i'm not sure if i should just install sound... or upgrade first and then install sound.

regards!

Hey guys, I bought the board and installed OS X. However, it seems like my USB hubs do not work stably enough. I tried a USB keyboard with USB hub, but after boot into OS X, I cannot use any of the USB on the board (front or back, or even the keyboard's). However, if I boot without keyboard and mouse, the computer seems to recognize the flash drive on USB in OS X. (show up in system profiler but not able to mount / use the device)

I tried the same thing with a PS2 keyboard, and none of the usb ports (except for the one that I plug in before boot - mouse) work.

Any idea how I can resolve that problem?

I'm using Kalyway 10.5.2 with a 24in LCD (usb hub not plug in yet)

post-193318-1215199683_thumb.png

Installed Leo4Allv3. Everything works like a charm. I found all the drivers needed just in the installer. I recommend this distro for this motherboard.

Hi - would you mind listing the drivers you used. I've just installed with the leo4all and everything except the audio's working. :jerry:

managed to get everything but the LAN working :censored2:

used the p5k-vm installer, but still doesn't work

lights on the port are not on

Using the old V3 ISO or the new V4 beta? Looking to update some time soon to 10.5.4 but don't want to break my otherwise perfectly working install. :)

Hi there, I´ve been working with Leo for a few months, and everything works fairly well, but after installing the 10.5.3 update my network slowed down a lot, before transfering big files from the MS server was fairly fast, around 9mb/s, right now the fastest it goes is 4mb/s.

And a bigger issue, I´ve got an ADSL2+ connection it syncs close to 15000 but my downloads in Leo are capped at 206kb/s, for example downloading simultaneously 6 files from RS max speed is 206, BT at 180kb + Downloading from RS + Browsing = 206, any ideas on what´s going on?

Thanks!

Does anyone have problem with the clock being a little slow? 3-4 hours off everyday if I don't sync it with the internet.

Yep - sometimes as much as 12 hours out in fact. My Leo install is a bit flakey - mainly when I access the NTFS drives in my PC so I drop in and out of XP a fair bit and the first thing I have to do on each reboot is reset the clock. :D

Yep - sometimes as much as 12 hours out in fact. My Leo install is a bit flakey - mainly when I access the NTFS drives in my PC so I drop in and out of XP a fair bit and the first thing I have to do on each reboot is reset the clock. -_-
I use NTFS for Mac and it makes NTFS drives act like any other in OS X, including speed.

Right - this weekend I finally bit the bullet and decided to get my system up and running on the 10.5.4. Base system was a Leo4All v.3 system with 5.2 on it. I downloaded the 10.5.3 combo update from Apple and then followed this guide at Netkas which went exactly as predicted: install, trash the powermanagement kext, edit the '1' file, reboot, crash, restart.

On restart I'd lost accelerated Nvidia graphics and sound - but everything else was working fine, including the network. I decided to leave fixing those until the system was fully updated, so I did the 10.5.4 update through the built-in Software Update. Install went fine, but sound and accelerated graphics still not working.

Fixed the graphics first, by using this fix. If you're new to all this (like me) then it's worth mentioning if you use that guide that the info.plist file mentioned is accessed by right-clicking on the kext in question and the selecting 'Show Package Contents'. One reboot later and QE/CI were working again - all the funky graphics back.

Next the sound. This was a much easier fix. I downloaded the drivers from the HDA project and installed them with KextHelper. One reboot later and the sound was back up and running.

Overall impression so far is that the system's both far more stable and a lot quicker. If you've been holding out for a 10.5.4 from someone like Leo then I say try updating as I've done - only took a couple of hours and that's with plenty of trial and error.

Ok, I know this post may be lengthy and I apologize ahead of time. (Sorry! :angry2: )

I have tried a few suggestions found throughout Google and am beginning to troubleshoot a little more in depth (using the -v option), but wanted to post the question to see if others were familiar with it.

I have the below setup:

Mobo: ASUS P5K-VM

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-8500 DDR2 1066MHz

HDD: 80gig SATA (in the SATA1 slot on the mobo)

GFX: Internal Intel GMA3100 (yes...I know about the difference w/ the GMAX3100...and I'm kicking myself)

It's a fairly simple setup...built to put Leopard on it.

I know there are more compatible boards and such, but due to budget and time, this is what I got on my limited researching.

My issue is this:

I have the Kalyway 10.5.2 install up and running perfectly fine with no major patches or tweaks necessary.

I've tried multiple update packages (Kalyway, Leo4All, Apple's), following all instructions for each, but they all have pretty much the same result.

The Eternal Spinning StartUp Screen of Doom

To be specific, the Kalyway update just gives an eternal start up screen, nothing else.

The Leo4All and the Apple (using custom instructions found in a Wordpress tutorial) would give the startup screen and then, after a delay, a "null" sign (zero w/ slash) would appear over the Apple logo.

I may be a noob w/ OSx86, but I am technically competent, so let fire your suggestions with no hesitation! ;)

I will continue to research and post any further details, but would greatly appreciate any help!

To be specific, the Kalyway update just gives an eternal start up screen, nothing else. The Leo4All and the Apple (using custom instructions found in a Wordpress tutorial) would give the startup screen and then, after a delay, a "null" sign (zero w/ slash) would appear over the Apple logo.

I may be a noob w/ OSx86, but I am technically competent, so let fire your suggestions with no hesitation! :P

I will continue to research and post any further details, but would greatly appreciate any help!

It's funny - but I ran into similar problems today. My wife has a near identical system to mine - p5K-vm, GeF 8600GT, 4Gb Corsair, SATA HDs. So I thought I'd clone my hard drive to an external USB so she could try out OSX and see if it was to her liking. But guess what - no dice. System won't boot off the drive at all (will do on my system) - it won't even boot off Leo4All or iAtkosv.4. On iAtkos I get no further than the Apple logo with the null sign. And like I say, it's near identical to my system, on which Leo runs perfectly. The only thing I can think it could be, is the firmware - tommorow I'll check which BIOS is running in each PC.

It's funny - but I ran into similar problems today. My wife has a near identical system to mine - p5K-vm, GeF 8600GT, 4Gb Corsair, SATA HDs. So I thought I'd clone my hard drive to an external USB so she could try out OSX and see if it was to her liking. But guess what - no dice. System won't boot off the drive at all (will do on my system) - it won't even boot off Leo4All or iAtkosv.4. On iAtkos I get no further than the Apple logo with the null sign. And like I say, it's near identical to my system, on which Leo runs perfectly. The only thing I can think it could be, is the firmware - tommorow I'll check which BIOS is running in each PC.

To answer my own question - I forget to set ACHI in Bios for the RAID. Doh!

Sound: use the installer of BlackHC (thanx!!!) and choose one of the two audio options. Audio SPDIF (3 channels output (by Taruga) or 2 channels + Spdif; mic and line input on both) works great here.

HDAEnabler (by kabyl and Taruga) installed from installer of Blackhc; no problem, working fine.

Running iAtkos v4.0: basic install, selected kernal 9.4 and standard files + sata support. nothing else selected.

Network gave some problems, BlackHC installer did not fix the issue at first. After some trials and errors got network working. Graphics: nvinject 5.2 for my gforce 7600 gs / audio as mentioned before with the great app of blackhc.

Before install: AHCI mode in bios / format HD to MBR. GUID did not work for me.

If you have problems installing iAtkos just ask!

Sound: use the installer of BlackHC (thanx!!!) and choose one of the two audio options. Audio SPDIF (3 channels output (by Taruga) or 2 channels + Spdif; mic and line input on both) works great here.

HDAEnabler (by kabyl and Taruga) installed from installer of Blackhc; no problem, working fine.

Running iAtkos v4.0: basic install, selected kernal 9.4 and standard files + sata support. nothing else selected.

Network gave some problems, BlackHC installer did not fix the issue at first. After some trials and errors got network working. Graphics: nvinject 5.2 for my gforce 7600 gs / audio as mentioned before with the great app of blackhc.

Before install: AHCI mode in bios / format HD to MBR. GUID did not work for me.

If you have problems installing iAtkos just ask!

Hi - do you have the link to the BlackHC installer you mentioned?

I got this board a few days ago. Working great here.

I've made an installer with all the needed drivers:

SATA IDE (by Dune) all channels

SATA AHCI id and icons fix

Restart Fix (by ToH)

Audio (3 channels output (by Taruga) or 2 channels + Spdif; mic and line input on both)

HDAEnabler (by kabyl and Taruga)

Yukon 8808056 Network

Enjoy.

Link (10.5.3 ONLY)

http://www.mediafire.com/?y2tm0ljnene

Ok, stupid question. :)

When you say "10.5.3 ONLY", are you meaning it literally only works w/ 10.5.3, or just that it won't work with anything earlier...?

(I would guess it would be working with 10.5.4, but wanted to check. Hence the stupid question warning)

The reason I ask is that I just installed a 10.5.4 clean install with the iATKOS v4i installer and it's running, but no network, etc.

Also, as a side note, I'm using the on board GMA3100 (I know it doesn't support QE...I don't need a lot of graphic power), but it does not seem to be working fully.

When I had 10.5.2 running via Kalyway, the network, GMA, and everything was working OOB. (Too bad we can't combine the install disks... :) )

Any ideas anyone?

@RM: installer is from BlackCH, sorry typo! http://www.mediafire.com/?y2tm0ljnene

@B0: installer of BlackHC works for sound on my 10.5.4 iatkos. i got network working trough changing the IOnetworkingfamily.kext

Try this:

- make backup of your IONetworkingFamily.kext

- Download my IONetworkingFamily.kext from this link: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=d425e3b...d8b33b5aa27078d Kext is from my 10.5.4 iatkos on my p5k-vm board.

- Install it with KextHelper (see for download link old posts in this thread).

Reboot

It took me a while to get network up and running, if not working after reboot, disconnect the cable and reboot again without cable. connect the cable when osx is running... did the trick for me. For your gma i don't know... i'm using a Nvidia 7600 gs.

Let me know!

This may see a bit old school, but anyway, I'm not getting past the Darwin/x86 screen.

I have the following hardware:

Asus P5K VM

Ram 2x2GB DDR2 8500

Sata HD (on SATA 1)

SATA DVD drive (on SATA 2)

Bios setting are at default however boot order is Optical media, HD

The HD was unformatted, I then installed XP on it so as to format it. It is now NTFS. Windows boots fine.

Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd

This is my process:

1. Turn on computer with Kalyway in the DVD

2. Computer POSTS

3. 3 lines of numbers appear on the screen

4. System config file 'Library/Preferences//SystemConfiguration/com/apple.boot.plist' not found briefly appear on screen.

5. A countdown appears giving me the option to boot from CD, but doing this takes me back to point 4

6. If I let the countdown hit zero, I am asked to use arrow keys to choose a startup volume and hit return or -v return. The option for the startup disk is: hd(111,0) Apple_HFS

7. Hitting return takes me back to point 4

Please can you help, I'm sur it's something very basic.

Many thanks

Daniel