Rhapsody DR2

zfire89

545 posts in this topic

Ahem... his PPC version of Rhapsody is corrupted. Don't bother.

Guru

No it's not. I got a new one. OPENSTEP is now availible for download, which means you can PM me for it. I'll tell you when Rhapsody DR2 PPC and Mac OS X Server 1.0 are availible.

wow that is an impressive list AriX, can you PM me Mac OS X Server 1.0 when you have it uploaded? thanks, I'll appreciate it greatly :P.

Rhapsody DR2 PPC is done! I'm sending it out to people now; if you haven't posted or PM'ed me yet, you may now PM me, if you have, wait for a while, I'll get it to you soon. If it's like evening tomorrow and I still haven't gotten it to you, you may PM me again. I have changed the schedule a bit:

Mac OS X Server 1.0 and BlueBox tomorrow

YellowBox DR2 for Windows and NeXTSTEP 3.1 the next day

I don't know what to put up after that, PM me if you see something you want (That's an updated list, because it doesn't include what I will have uploaded by then):

Mac OS X Public Beta

Mac OS X 10.0

Mac OS X 10.1

MachTen (Seems interesting, google it for more info)

Rhapsody DR1 Intel

Rhapsody DR1 PPC

YellowBox for Windows DR1

NeXTSTEP 3.3 (I think it's Intel also)

OPENSTEP 4.0 (Don't know what processor)

TONS AND TONS of OPENSTEP and NeXTSTEP software

Various Rhapsody Manuals

Just about every Mac OS that existed, from 0.1 to 9.1

Various AUX Versions and manuals

Two builds of Copland

TONS and TONS and TONS of Mac OS Classic Software

And, since there are so many folders I haven't yet explored, probably much more. The stuff is in either iso or toast format.

oh f*** it uploaded and then freaking deleted the file!!!!!!!!!!! I am so mad.... Sorry folks, i'll be up tomorrow... I promise...

Yes... and so does every version of Mac OS X Server.

Blue Box wasn't ready for the first Rhapsody Developer Release so Apple sent it out a couple months later on it's own CD. The rest had it in on their installation CD with the rest of the packages.

So putting up Blue Box before Rhapsody DR1 for PowerPC is a waste of time because that was what it needs to run... and that was the only version where Blue Box wasn't included.

Quick little history of Blue Box...

Blue Box was included with the following PowerPC releases of Rhapsody:

Rhapsody 5.1 (Rhapsody developer Release 2)

Rhapsody 5.3 (Mac OS X Server 1.0)

Rhapsody 5.6 (Mac OS X Server 1.2 and 1.2v3)

Blue Box was not ready for Rhapsody 5.0 (Rhapsody Developer Release), so the only time Blue Box came on it's own media was when Apple sent it out to developers a few months after they had given out the first Rhapsody Developer Release sets.

Blue Box comes with it's own installation of the Mac OS. The versions that come with each are:

Rhapsody 5.0... Mac OS 8.0

Rhapsody 5.1... Mac OS 8.1

Rhapsody 5.3... Mac OS 8.5

Rhapsody 5.6... Mac OS 8.6

Neither Developer Release versions (5.0 or 5.1) support upgrading/updating Blue Box's Mac OS.

Blue Box that comes with 5.3 can be (and should be) updated to 8.5.1. Once Rhapsody 5.3 or 5.4 (Mac OS X Server 1.0.1) has been updated to 5.5 (Mac OS X Server 1.0.2), you can update Blue Box to Mac OS 8.6.

Additionally, just like any normal version of Mac OS 8.6, you'll need to apply a patch to the font manager (which you can get here).

Allright guys.

I think I have a working copy of Rhapsody PPC.

The only way to get it working is in BasiliskII.

When i insert the cd and boot it off it start Mac OS Classic (version 8.0).

In the installation instructions there's written to press (or eventually hold) the Caps Lock key to start Rhapsody's kernel.

Well, when i press or hold the Caps Lock key absolutely nothing happens.

I've also tried with the Option or Command key, with no results.

The CD doesn't even boot in pearpc.

Although, I noticed something weird...

When the Classic OS boots, the Rhapsody extension has a red " X " on it.. seems like it couldn't load it... maybe the cd is corrupted?

Allright guys.

I think I have a working copy of Rhapsody PPC.

The only way to get it working is in BasiliskII.

When i insert the cd and boot it off it start Mac OS Classic (version 8.0).

In the installation instructions there's written to press (or eventually hold) the Caps Lock key to start Rhapsody's kernel.

Well, when i press or hold the Caps Lock key absolutely nothing happens.

I've also tried with the Option or Command key, with no results.

The CD doesn't even boot in pearpc.

Although, I noticed something weird...

When the Classic OS boots, the Rhapsody extension has a red " X " on it.. seems like it couldn't load it... maybe the cd is corrupted?

sorry: basilisk is a 68k mac emulator, not a ppc one. os 8.0 was both for ppc and 68k, but rhapsody was ppc only, so the installer disk can boot but the system not.

Allright, I managed to boot the Classic part of Rhapsody PPC with the PowerMac ROM.

The problem is: when I press the Caps Lock key, it reboots... but it reboots in Classic again!!!! It should boot in Rhapsody kernel...

Any workaround for this?

Allright, I managed to boot the Classic part of Rhapsody PPC with the PowerMac ROM.

The problem is: when I press the Caps Lock key, it reboots... but it reboots in Classic again!!!! It should boot in Rhapsody kernel...

Any workaround for this?

probably is that it can't write to the nvram to boot in rhapsody…

a question for RacerX: rhapsody was installed by an os 8/9 installer or had to boot from cd and then install?

a question for RacerX: rhapsody was installed by an os 8/9 installer or had to boot from cd and then install?
All PowerPC versions of Rhapsody come on a partitioned CD... with an HFS partition and a (Rhapsody) UFS partition. You boot the system from the HFS partition which has a version of the Mac OS on it (with a special extension installed) to run the installer.

The installer does three things...

1. It modifies the target volume and leaves a script of what packages are to be installed,
  2. it modifies the firmware to let the hardware read (and boot from) Rhapsody formatted volumes, and
  3. it points the system at the Rhapsody partition of the CD for rebooting and installation of the Rhapsody packages.

Once the packages are installed from the CD, the system is redirected to boot from the Rhapsody partition on the Mac. The first time it boots from that partition is when you run the Setup Assistant.

The two most common issues I get asked about with people who are using "non-original" Rhapsody media are:

1. "When I boot from the CD I get an error saying no desktop file found?"
  2. "After I run the installer the system reboots but I end up back in Mac OS and the hard drive (target volume) is gone... what happened?"

In the first case, someone made the image on a non-Mac system and so resource files were stripped from the HFS partition (there is a special resource that makes the desktop folder the desktop folder and keeps it invisible from the user). The second case is usually an image of just the HFS partition of the original media, with the Rhapsody partition missing (because it is unreadable by most systems).

Beyond the installer, there is a utility that is included with Rhapsody for setting the firmware for a Rhapsody startup. In the Rhapsody developer releases it was called Multibooter and in the Server releases it was call System Disk. It is a good utility to get familiar with... specially if you are running Rhapsody on unsupported hardware.

This is what System Disk looks like...

system_disk.jpg

Nothing.

I've tried everything.

Let's summarize what I tried:

CherryOS --> doesn't work.

PearPC --> doesn't work with Classic, so no way.

Qemu --> same as PearPC.

BasiliskII --> 68k-only emulator, pity.

Sheepshaver --> our only hope.

So the way to go is SheepShaver. It's useless wasting our time on other emulators.

BasiliskII has a nice SCSI emulator in it... I contacted the programmer of BasiliskII and Sheepshaver, asking if he can implement the SCSI thing in Sheepshaver.

Now I'm waiting for his reply.

btw, the problem is that SheepShaver treats our HD as big floppies, and Rhapsody cannot install on those...

So our only chance is that Sheepshaver's creator decide to port the SCSI thing to SheepShaver, or else.... i dunno.

Has anyone succeeded in running OpenStep 4.2 for PPC?