Rhapsody DR2

zfire89

545 posts in this topic

Guys,

I'm sorry to say that this Rhapsody PPC from AriX is no good. When I booted it on my PB3400c, I got the error message RacerX mentioned about there being no desktop folder. :blink:

EDIT: nope, still have to boot from CD to install Rhapsody. So it's a no go....

Interesting... If you would like I could upload Rhapsody DR1 PPC to try, or you could use Mac OS X Server 1.0

What exactly do you think I do for a living?

My job isn't to "find old OS and betas and try to make them work on real hardware or emulators". I make no money off this stuff... at all.

I work full time to help support my wife and I, plus I'm a graduate student in mathematics.

NEXTSTEP, OPENSTEP or Rhapsody have nothing to do with my business (which is all current Mac systems) or my education (where there really isn't much that a computer can do to help with anyways).

I don't care if you want to give yourself excuses for doing illegal activities or not doing actual research... just don't give them to me and expect me to think they justify your actions (or lack of actions).

Frankly, unless you are an accounting major, the skills you learn by researching a rare platform like Rhapsody or OPENSTEP/NEXTSTEP are very valuable. The value of this stuff isn't in Rhapsody/OPENSTEP/NEXTSTEP (none of which is ever going to become a mainstream OS), the value here is learning how to learn.

See, kids today... sorry, but they're lazy. Everything is quick and easy, or they don't care about it.

What I see in Rhapsody is a chance to get you guys excited about searching for solutions. So when I see you guys taking shortcuts (downloading software rather than searching for it, running to Wikipedia rather than using real Rhapsody info) I'm pretty disappointed.

I'll say it again because I can't stress it enough...

The value here is learning how to learn.

That'll be an interesting trick... seeing as Rhapsody doesn't "update" Mac OS 9.

There is no upgrade path to or from Rhapsody... it is its own OS.

Given that, how would you "update a Mac OS 9 installation"? :blink:

You're missing an important point:

you have great knowledge about Apple's Operating Systems (Rhapsody + Next/OpenStep in particular) because you've been working with those OS for quite a long time (I suppose).

I could say the same thing about DOS and Windows... I've been using these systems since I was a child (if I remember correctly, I started learning DOS commands when I was 5, on my dad's 80286) and now I know almost every thing of those OS (apart from Vista, which is rather new).

Now I need a reliable OS to work with and I choose OS X because it is the best Operating System around.

I'm aware that there are lots of kids around just wanting to run Rhapsody (or any other "strange" OS) on their pc so they can go to their friends and say "Hey! I've got Rhapsody running on my PC! It's cool!" (I remember I had a friend who said he used Linux on his machine, and when I asked him "what can you do with it?" he didn't reply), but I can assure you I'm not one of those (if you've ever thought it).

I'm trying to do a "reverse" researchment on Rhapsody (instead of searching info about what it is and how it works, I'm trying to have it up and running so I can study it directly inside the OS and discover things by myself), which sometimes can be really hard, but is the best thing (IMO) when I have such a little time to work with it.

I know OS9 cannot be upgraded to Rhapsody, but it can (or better, "might") be used to start a clean installation of Rhapsody.

P.S.: about the "learning how to learn"... there isn't a "standard" way to learn, and you should know it better than me.

The way we approach knowledge differs from guy to guy.

So, it is important to discover our best way of learning (I know, it sounds strange, but I couldn't find the words to properly transmit the idea)... to discover a "method" of learning we feel comfortable with.

See, kids today... sorry, but they're lazy. Everything is quick and easy, or they don't care about it.

What I see in Rhapsody is a chance to get you guys excited about searching for solutions. So when I see you guys taking shortcuts (downloading software rather than searching for it, running to Wikipedia rather than using real Rhapsody info) I'm pretty disappointed.

I'll say it again because I can't stress it enough...

The value here is learning how to learn.

"Learning how to learn" I swear Ive heard that before :D, but still I agree that your right about todays kids being lazy, I know because Ive done my fair share of downloading old OSs ~looks at his download manager that has Server 1.0 in it~ It probably has to do with the explosion of broadband use and the thought that abandoware is legal, yes I know downloading Mac OS X Server is illegal and all, but sometimes piracy has its positives.

For example, in early 2005 I had a friend download the Panther install CDs for me so I could try running Panther in PearPC, as I was curious to try Mac OS X in a non-network sense. Ive never owned a mac before that, and after running Panther for a while, (yes it was horribly slow), I loved Mac OS X. Learning of all the goodies of Tiger, I told my folks that I wanted a Mac for graduation that year, and I chose what I want and it was delivered while I was out at a lake with friends. I can say that without using Panther for free on my own, I would never have gotten a Mac.

Ok maybe thats just one story, but the same thing happened numerous times with me, lets see Halo for Mac, Unreal Tournament for Mac, System Mechanic Pro for Windows, etc.

Dont judge someone just because there interested in downloading software, you never know what will come of it.

*BTW the Mac OS X Server CD requires Mac OS X Server to be installed already so I think that makes it a paradox :blink:.* ---v---- thats from the Installing Mac OS X Server pdf.

Installing Mac OS X Server Developer

1. Start up your computer in Mac OS X Server. (Refer to your

Mac OS X Server Installation Manual for more information.)

2. Log in to an account (typically, “root”) that has Administrator privileges.

Installation doesn’t work from accounts with lesser privileges.

The software you install will be available to all users.

3. Insert the Mac OS X Server Developer CD into your computer’s CDROM

drive. You may need to double-click the CD’s icon to open its

main window.

4. Locate the MacOSXServer.mpkg icon on the CD, in the

Mac_OS_X_Server folder. Double-click the icon. The installer for Mac

OS X Server Developer starts and opens the Package Selection dialog

box.

(The other .mpkg icons in the Mac_OS_X_Server folder install Apple’s

WebObjects product. To install these, you must have an appropriate

license from Apple Computer, Inc.)

5. Apple recommends that you perform a Complete installation, as

described next. If you want to select the components to install, follow

the Custom installation instructions instead.

Complete installation

In the Package Selection dialog box, click

Install. For each package, the installer checks for existing files on your

disk and then installs the package files. You get everything you need to

develop Mac OS X Server applications.

The installer may need to overwrite existing files or may need to run

scripts. In these cases it presents one or more alerts. To proceed with

installation, click OK.

Custom Installation

If you want to exclude one or more

components, uncheck them before clicking Install. The following

restrictions apply:

• To develop Mac OS X Server applications, you must install both the

Developer Tools and the Developer Libraries packages.

• To honor file dependencies, you must install the Developer Tools

package before the Developer Libraries package.

The installer may need to overwrite existing files or may need to run

scripts. In these cases it presents one or more alerts. To proceed with

installation, click OK.

6. When all the files are installed, the legend in the installer dialog box

changes to Installation Completed. Quit the installer by choosing the

Package

m

Quit menu item, and then restart your computer.

Don Luca, your method sounds pretty good, but why not just skip Parallels and just use a windows pc? that would reduce the amount of memory needed and probably free up some resources. I have real Panther install discs (from eBay), but {censored} there at my house with everything else I need so I'll have to wait another 3 weeks before I can test it.

Problem is I think I tried to get Mac on Mac to work before on PearPC and either it doesnt work, or its too slow to use, but maybe it was because I was using a Mac OS 9 image that wasnt burned correctly :whistle:.

Forgive me, I didn't notice your post.

Of course, you can use Windows, as well as you can use a PPC Mac and use directly Panther with Mac-on-Mac.

But running 4 OS in one machine at the same time is quite a challenge, isn't it? :D

P.S.: about the "learning how to learn"... there isn't a "standard" way to learn, and you should know it better than me.

The way we approach knowledge differs from guy to guy.

So, it is important to discover our best way of learning (I know, it sounds strange, but I couldn't find the words to properly transmit the idea)... to discover a "method" of learning we feel comfortable with.

I haven't asked anyone to use a method... use whatever method you want. But there is only one path to doing research... and that is researching.

I used the same skills hunting down Rhapsody information as I did for researching mathematics. It would be the same skills that would help a historian or archeologist.. or lawyer for that matter.

You say you don't have time to do this, fine. But your loss is not info on Rhapsody, it is the experience of hunting down the information.

Also... I didn't have a computer when I was a kid. I got my first computer at the age of 23. And while I had used (at school and at work) NeXT systems, I could hardly be called an expert at them. I wasn't that good with computers to begin with nor did I need to be (not for my type of mathematics).

And most of my experience was with the classic Mac OS.

I started down this path in 1998 with the purchase of NEXTSTEP because Apple had bought NeXT a couple years earlier and was working on Rhapsody at the time.

By the time I started using Rhapsody daily, Mac OS X Public Beta was already out, and most of the (small) Rhapsody community had already moved onto Mac OS X.

When you were learning DOS and Windows... I highly doubt that you had any problems finding information on those (nearly everyone was using them around you... what choices did you have?). Learning Rhapsody can not be equated to learning DOS. It is far more like learning IRIX, or Solaris, or the BeOS. Information that you have to dig for rather than having it force fed to you.

And that really is the difference. DOS/Windows stuff is everywhere, there is no sport in getting a Windows system up and running.

But systems other than Windows... there is a challenge. With each community you have sources of information. As the communities get smaller and smaller, the information becomes harder and harder to find. The Mac community is small (compared to Windows), but the SGI community is smaller, and the NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP community even smaller still. And the smallest of all seems to be Rhapsody... which is pretty much just me (with occasional visitors).

Think about it, when something goes wrong on one of my systems, who do I turn to? There is only me in the case of my Rhapsody systems.

The best part of Rhapsody (besides having the platform pretty much to myself) is that it is computing without a net.

BTW the Mac OS X Server CD requires Mac OS X Server to be installed already so I think that makes it a paradox .* ---v---- thats from the Installing Mac OS X Server pdf.
It is not the Mac OS X Server CD then... what you guys have is the Mac OS X Server Developer and WebObjects CD.

Mac OS X Server 1.0 came with the following media:

1. Mac OS X Server Install CD
  2. Developer/WebObjects install CD
  3. NetBoot Server CD
  4. Third-Party Solutions CD

Mac OS X Server 1.2 (and 1.2v3) came with the following media:

1. Mac OS X Server Install CD
  2. Developer/WebObjects install CD
  3. NetBoot Server CD
  4. Apple Network Assistant CD

So someone made an image of the Developer/WebObjects CD... which is understandable as it is readable by most systems (as it is the same media as the WebObjects 4.0.1 release and has WebObjects for Windows on the same CD... but you need a license string to make it work on Windows).

This is the type of thing I tried to warn you guys about. People who don't know any better make images of media and throw them out on the web... not really knowing what it is they were putting out there.

My guess is that the original person who put that out had never even ran Mac OS X Server on any system... wasn't even sure what it was. He saw it, thought it may be valuable warez... and put up the easiest image he could make.

Guys,

I charge between $50 to $85 per hour for my consulting. So you could say that 1 hour of my time is worth $50 to me.

What is one hour of your time worth to you?

Now multiply that by the number of hours you've spent on chasing down damaged or false copies of Rhapsody.

Wouldn't it have been easier (less expensive time wise) to have bought that copy of Mac OS X Server on ebay back when I pointed it out to everyone. It was under $30.

$30 is less than what an hour of my time is worth, so I wouldn't have spent more than a half hour on this type of thing before realizing that just buying it when it was there would be the best way to go.

It alters the firmware so that a Mac can startup from something other than a Mac OS.

Here is what the Advanced Options looks like...

sd_advanced.jpg

One of the things you can do is set the system to stop the boot process at the firmware prompt so that you can instruct it which OS to start from (bye for the Mac OS and boot for Rhapsody as I recall).

wow, an open firmware graphical editor! O_O

Can you send me a configuration file? maybe is not that impossible to boot the dr1 cd…

Don Luca said:

Linux on PPC doesn't work, I already tried various time

do you mean on emulator, right? anyway it should start on qemu-system-ppc…

Mac-on-Mac only works on Panther (or Jaguar?), so we're proceeding this way:

phanter will be fine.

1 - Using Parallels we're creating a Virtual Machine with Windows XP (I recommend Tiny XP Rev. 05)

2 - Inside Windows we'll use PearPC to boot Panther (or Jaguar).

3 - Once inside Panther we can use Mac-on-Mac without problems, so we will boot Rhapsody PPC inside Mac-on-Mac.

it could work, but i suggest to never say "without problem" referring to mac on mac. it was really buggy…

anyway i think that the booter will find the configuration as unsupported.

wow, an open firmware graphical editor! O_O

Can you send me a configuration file? maybe is not that impossible to boot the dr1 cd…

Well, the configuration is saved in PRAM... that is why you lose the configuration if your battery is dead and you shut down the system.

As for the System Disk utility... you can find that here.

Well, the configuration is saved in PRAM... that is why you lose the configuration if your battery is dead and you shut down the system.

yes, i know that, i'm referring to that "save as a file" button…

As for the System Disk utility... you can find that here.

unlukely i can't use it since my macs are unsupported, but i can try to edit the open firmware settings manually once i know what the right one are (i did something similar about a year ago…).

also, does the commands bless and nvram exists under rhapsody? if yes can you post the result of theese commands on a neworld mac with rhapsody or mac os x server?

bless --info

nvram -p

and, with the installer disk inserted, if you can see the secondary loader partition

bless --info /Volumes/SecondaryLoader (or where is it mounted)

thanks, maybe is not so impossible! ;)

well, i'm almost sure that is possible to boot the rhapsody system on the cd it, what i don't know is if it will boot to the end or if it will fail with a kernel panic…

also, does the commands bless and nvram exists under rhapsody? if yes can you post the result of theese commands on a neworld mac with rhapsody or mac os x server?
I guess I'm not quite sure what you are asking for... there is no bless under Rhapsody that I know of.

As for nvram, this is the contents of /usr/share/nvram/:

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel	 6 Feb 20 03:07 3400-2400@ -> Hooper
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel	 5 Feb 20 03:07 3500@ -> Kanga
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel	10 Feb 20 03:07 7300@ -> PowerSurge
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel	10 Feb 20 03:07 7500@ -> PowerSurge
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel	10 Feb 20 03:07 8500@ -> PowerSurge
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel	10 Feb 20 03:07 9500@ -> PowerSurge
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel	12 Feb 20 03:07 9700@ -> PowerExpress
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1754 Jan  8 19:03 Gossamer
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   857 Jan  8 19:03 Hooper
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   857 Jan  8 19:03 Kanga
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1888 Jan  8 19:03 Mainstreet
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel	10 Feb 20 03:07 PowerBook1998@ -> Wallstreet
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   999 Jan  8 19:03 PowerExpress
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel	 4 Feb 20 03:07 PowerMac-G3@ -> Silk
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1874 Jan  8 19:03 PowerSurge
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   935 Jan  8 19:03 Silk
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1830 Jan  8 19:03 Wallstreet

As for the question of newworld Macs, this list should give you an idea what Macs are supported (and similarly, could be supported) with Rhapsody 5.3 and later.

When you are talking about Rhapsody 5.0/5.1... I would rule out even the later generations of Beige G3s as possible systems. These installations are very picky. one of the reasons why the 7300 wasn't supported by them is the lack of memory interleaving.

I've done my time with attempts at Rhapsody installation on odd hardware... it really isn't something I'd want to devote any more time on. Back when I did this a PowerMac 8500 was running about $1000 and a 7500 was about $650... today those systems are practically free (I got my 7500, and two 8500 for free).

It seems pretty pointless to spend that effort now when a great Rhapsody system is less than $50 away (CPU, monitor, keyboard and mouse).

But if any of the things you are looking for exist... you should find it in Apple's documentation. The only thing that may help that is not on my site is a book called Rhapsody Operating System Software. Currently I only have this book as a printed/bound manual, I'll see if I can find a PDF version of it. It covers aspects of Rhapsody's Mach OS.

I guess I'm not quite sure what you are asking for... there is no bless under Rhapsody that I know of.

ok, so bless came with os x 10.x…

As for nvram, this is the contents of /usr/share/nvram/:
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel	 6 Feb 20 03:07 3400-2400@ -> Hooper
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel	 5 Feb 20 03:07 3500@ -> Kanga
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel	10 Feb 20 03:07 7300@ -> PowerSurge
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel	10 Feb 20 03:07 7500@ -> PowerSurge
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel	10 Feb 20 03:07 8500@ -> PowerSurge
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel	10 Feb 20 03:07 9500@ -> PowerSurge
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel	12 Feb 20 03:07 9700@ -> PowerExpress
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1754 Jan  8 19:03 Gossamer
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   857 Jan  8 19:03 Hooper
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   857 Jan  8 19:03 Kanga
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1888 Jan  8 19:03 Mainstreet
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel	10 Feb 20 03:07 PowerBook1998@ -> Wallstreet
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   999 Jan  8 19:03 PowerExpress
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel	 4 Feb 20 03:07 PowerMac-G3@ -> Silk
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1874 Jan  8 19:03 PowerSurge
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   935 Jan  8 19:03 Silk
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1830 Jan  8 19:03 Wallstreet

no, not that folder contants. if you have a mac os x system you can do it on that.

thanks anyway.

As for the question of newworld Macs, this list should give you an idea what Macs are supported (and similarly, could be supported) with Rhapsody 5.3 and later.

yes, this is a list of officially supported macs, i'm trying t install it on an unsupported one…

When you are talking about Rhapsody 5.0/5.1... I would rule out even the later generations of Beige G3s as possible systems. These installations are very picky. one of the reasons why the 7300 wasn't supported by them is the lack of memory interleaving.

I've done my time with attempts at Rhapsody installation on odd hardware... it really isn't something I'd want to devote any more time on. Back when I did this a PowerMac 8500 was running about $1000 and a 7500 was about $650... today those systems are practically free (I got my 7500, and two 8500 for free).

It seems pretty pointless to spend that effort now when a great Rhapsody system is less than $50 away (CPU, monitor, keyboard and mouse).

But if any of the things you are looking for exist... you should find it in Apple's documentation. The only thing that may help that is not on my site is a book called Rhapsody Operating System Software. Currently I only have this book as a printed/bound manual, I'll see if I can find a PDF version of it. It covers aspects of Rhapsody's Mach OS.

first: i'm a studente, $50 is not a little money for me

second: i don't have the space for another computer. these imacs are also too close to each other to be used at the same time…

third: wath will i learn by installing it on a suypported system (apart of the os itself)? there is much more learning in trying to run it on an unsupported system, just like i learnt a lot trying of installing mac os x on "dell little boxes" for a year than installing it on my ppc macs for years and years…

I'll take these points in reverse order...

third: wath will i learn by installing it on a suypported system (apart of the os itself)? there is much more learning in trying to run it on an unsupported system, just like i learnt a lot trying of installing mac os x on "dell little boxes" for a year than installing it on my ppc macs for years and years…
You may learn a lot by attempts to install... but you'll never learn what makes an OS special.

You may know more about getting Mac OS X running than I do... but I'd be willing to bet that I know more about Mac OS X than you. Why? Because while you were fumbling with trying to install it, I was actually using it and learning how to make the most of it (as a working system).

Sorry, you really don't learn what is special about an OS by making attempts to install it. And I frankly doubt that many of you will see what is special about Rhapsody because I don't see any of you ever taking the time to actually work with it.

second: i don't have the space for another computer. these imacs are also too close to each other to be used at the same time…
Well, you should sell one of them and you'll have more space.

You aren't going to get Rhapsody 5.0/5.1 working on an iMac... the USB support in Rhapsody 5.3 and later was only enough to use the keyboard and mouse. Nothing more.

So not only are you wasting your time... your really wasting your time.

Which brings us back to the first of your points (and a new rule)...

first: i'm a studente, $50 is not a little money for me
If you can't afford $0-$50 for this... stop right now. Don't spend any more time on this. Get a job or something.

I was on my own at 18. My parents didn't help me at all. I paid for my education out of my own pocket... and am still paying for my education out of my own pocket today!

The new rule: if anyone brings up "being a student" again as an excuse, I'll stop posting in this forum.

Ya see, I'm a student... and I work full time, and if you remind me that I'm basically donating my time here while you guys aren't willing to put the same amount of effort into this that I am in helping you, I'll remember that my time is actually better spent working on my mathematics than answering questions here.

To be fair... if a moderator removes the "I'm a student" post (and someone tells me it is gone), I'll consider posting again.

But this is a no tolerance policy... from here on out, if anyone gives me "being a student" as an excuse for anything, I'm gone.

:) Hmmm... Come to think of it, this would be a good time for catching up on my homework.

The "I'm a student" statement isn't an excuse, it's a matter of fact.

I admire you, because despite your occupations it seems you can manage your time in an exceptional way, but you must comprehend we're not all the same.

Everyone dreams about doing bilion of things a day and succceed in every aspect of life, but this isn't real.

It's easy to say "get a job or something", but in reality everyday we have several problems to cope with.

Despite this... we keep on trying because the passion and the love we put in this work keeps us trying. Even when we fail, and when we feel like there's no escape, no way to solve a problem, we continue till we arrive at a solution.

No one here is searching for tolerance, we're here to work together and put all the effort we can... and we cannot give all the same amount of effort, but that's right.

We don't have the same possibilities, and everyone here is doing what he can, and even if what one of us can do is only trying to install Rhapsody on an emulator and fails, that's right, we appreciate it (especially if he tells us what went wrong :compress: ).

The fact that you're brillant (and I really think so) doesn't allow you IN ANY WAY to establish RULES here.

You MUST RESPECT each other work.

You can discuss it with us and we'll be more than happy to hear your opinion.

That's all.

I'll take these points in reverse order...

You may learn a lot by attempts to install... but you'll never learn what makes an OS special.

You may know more about getting Mac OS X running than I do... but I'd be willing to bet that I know more about Mac OS X than you. Why? Because while you were fumbling with trying to install it, I was actually using it and learning how to make the most of it (as a working system).

i'm using Mac OS X every day by the first time i had it in my mac (and on my father's imac before), that makes about 5 years now. i use it for school, for work (yes, i am a student and i do some work too.) and for hacking it. as i said before i like to experiment, because i like to learn every day something new. a day without learn is an useless day (or, at least, that is my philosophy…).

and, finally, consider that: maybe i'll fail, but maybe not, and if not i'll have a working system on it and then i'll like to explore (and use) the system, like i did before for other systems (ah, that imac is the same imac i used to experiment linux for the first months. yes, i had it on a secondary computer. now find someone here in italy that know wath i know about booting linux on ppc machines. surely there is someone, but not a lot.) and i'll appreciate rhapsody as i appreciate os x (i hope).

and then i'll be using it, after exploring that strange, mysterius world called open firmware.

Sorry, you really don't learn what is special about an OS by making attempts to install it. And I frankly doubt that many of you will see what is special about Rhapsody because I don't see any of you ever taking the time to actually work with it.

we can't work with it if we havent it, right?

Well, you should sell one of them and you'll have more space.

yes, i should sell a damaged imac (like most of my old macs, all still working, it has a lot of problem. why? because i use them as long as i can. i never waste hardware. anyway, this particular imac has the screen that is dieing…) wich is silent and smoll (and, anyway, isn't really mine - it is the old mac of my mother…) for a big, noisy tower that has an inferior hardware. sure.

You aren't going to get Rhapsody 5.0/5.1 working on an iMac... the USB support in Rhapsody 5.3 and later was only enough to use the keyboard and mouse. Nothing more.

the usb kayboards and mices are often managed directly by openfirmware and i'll not be surprised if it appens in rhapsody too. that would be a good reason to have only mice an kbs support…

So not only are you wasting your time... your really wasting your time.

please, let me decide when i'm wasting my time…

Which brings us back to the first of your points (and a new rule)...

If you can't afford $0-$50 for this... stop right now. Don't spend any more time on this. Get a job or something.

i haven't said that i can't afford it, i say that i don't want to spend money and have problems (my parents will never understand if i buy a computer for a thing like this…) if i can get it working in some other way.

I was on my own at 18. My parents didn't help me at all. I paid for my education out of my own pocket... and am still paying for my education out of my own pocket today!

The new rule: if anyone brings up "being a student" again as an excuse, I'll stop posting in this forum.

it was not an excuse. as Don Luce said, it is a fact. I have money problems too (try to guess for how long i had to save moneys to buy the mac i'm using now…) and very little time, just like you.

Ya see, I'm a student... and I work full time, and if you remind me that I'm basically donating my time here while you guys aren't willing to put the same amount of effort into this that I am in helping you, I'll remember that my time is actually better spent working on my mathematics than answering questions here.

To be fair... if a moderator removes the "I'm a student" post (and someone tells me it is gone), I'll consider posting again.

But this is a no tolerance policy... from here on out, if anyone gives me "being a student" as an excuse for anything, I'm gone.

:) Hmmm... Come to think of it, this would be a good time for catching up on my homework.

i'm sorry for your decision, you was helpful here, but your not considering that you is not the only one that does that. i spend lot of my time helping people on other forums (mostly on italiamac.it, if you want to check…) sharing my knowledge. it is your that choose to help or not, i can't choose for you.

Don Luca said:

The "I'm a student" statement isn't an excuse, it's a matter of fact.

I admire you, because despite your occupations it seems you can manage your time in an exceptional way, but you must comprehend we're not all the same.

Everyone dreams about doing bilion of things a day and succceed in every aspect of life, but this isn't real.

It's easy to say "get a job or something", but in reality everyday we have several problems to cope with.

Despite this... we keep on trying because the passion and the love we put in this work keeps us trying. Even when we fail, and when we feel like there's no escape, no way to solve a problem, we continue till we arrive at a solution.

No one here is searching for tolerance, we're here to work together and put all the effort we can... and we cannot give all the same amount of effort, but that's right.

We don't have the same possibilities, and everyone here is doing what he can, and even if what one of us can do is only trying to install Rhapsody on an emulator and fails, that's right, we appreciate it (especially if he tells us what went wrong wink_anim.gif ).

The fact that you're brillant (and I really think so) doesn't allow you IN ANY WAY to establish RULES here.

You MUST RESPECT each other work.

You can discuss it with us and we'll be more than happy to hear your opinion.

That's all.

i totally agree.

and now, if i have a 30 minutes of time, i'll give another try… ;)

Which is the best low cost Laptop for Rhapsody?

- supportet vga

- supportet sound

- supportet network (wlan?)

works usb with Rhapsody?

Which Software from Mac works with Rhapsody?

- supportet vga

- supportet sound

works usb with Rhapsody?

no wlan, it appears. will work cocoa software once recomiled -- teorically…

- supportet vga

- supportet sound

works usb with Rhapsody?

Hard to say... you should try searching for an old Pentium II laptop... or you can always use it in emulation.

You can do what follows:

Buy (if you don't have already one) a laptop (with Windows), install Bochs in it and use it for Rhapsody.

The next step ( :) ) will be setting Bochs to autostart with Windows (in full screen mode), so you'll have the feeling that what you're using is Rhapsody...

This way, you can set a bridged connection between Bochs and Windows, which can be everything... a simple LAN connection, a Wireless connection or even a Firewire connection.

The only problem is that I don't remember if Rhapsody recognizes Bochs' virtual Ethernet Interface... if it does, then you're all set! :)

Ive noticed that these old mac os's and betas are a pain, anyone agree with me here? oh, and i think im going to try and install rhapsody in bochs... ? is it worth the trouble?

max

it depends on wich betas. if "experimental" betas, like copland, sure, if "stable" ones, say mac os 9 beta not.

wow that was some intense posts back there, I hope RacerX comes back, he knows a lot more of this stuff then probably any of us. Im still searching for Mac OS X Server 1.2 if anyone is willing to sell it to me, my dell latitude d800 died today (dvd writer failed completely), so all I have left is my iMac(thank god), and my iBook which is still at my house(should have brought that one to school O_o)

Im willing to pay up to $50 for it, I prefer that its the orginal media, so I know its genuine. I prefer to do any transaction through PayPal, anyone who has it PM me, thanks.

Edit :Free ISO images are also accepted of course :pirate2:

Like Jack said, I help people a lot online too. You should go to iPodLinux.org. I have 1xxx posts and I help people with Installation and Application Installation a ton. I am currently writing the iPod Application Manager 2 (1.5 is availible at http://ipodlinux.org/iPod_Application_Manager ) and I'm also trying to help out witht he development of iPodLinux for 5.5G and 2G nanos, although I haven't done much yet.

wow that was some intense posts back there, I hope RacerX comes back, he knows a lot more of this stuff then probably any of us. Im still searching for Mac OS X Server 1.2 if anyone is willing to sell it to me, my dell latitude d800 died today (dvd writer failed completely), so all I have left is my iMac(thank god), and my iBook which is still at my house(should have brought that one to school O_o)

Im willing to pay up to $50 for it, I prefer that its the orginal media, so I know its genuine. I prefer to do any transaction through PayPal, anyone who has it PM me, thanks.

Edit :Free ISO images are also accepted of course :thumbsdown_anim:

Dont worry, RacerX is cool, hell help out :D and pm sent hinting at an apropreate course of action involving server 1.2