Official uphuck 10.4.9 universal x86 install DVD v1.2 thread

Dr. Hurt

508 posts in this topic

. . would be nice to see support for the Jmicron [JMB363] PATA/SATA controller - this is on many i975X/i965 motherboards

I finally gave up this crusade...:thumbsup_anim: I gave in and bough a SATA DVD-RW from Newegg for $34 ($39 after shipping). If you're in the US, I can't recommend it enough. Set the SATA setup in the BIOS to AHCI and POW (like smack) I was ready to r0x0rz.

connecting 2 sata hdd on orange sata ports, shows up as one large drive in diskutil, but i can 't format the drive..

give me allways I/O error timeout ...

Using Asus P5WDH Deluxe, and 2 HDD Maxtor Sata (Sata1)

Anyone who can explaine how it can be done

You only see one HDD because SATA ICH7, ICH7R, ICH8, and ICH8R ports 1 and 2 are the only ones that show up to the system until you patch it. There's a patch running around here (I have it available here - there are 3 files in the ZIP...one fixes AFP/SMB/CIFS, one is the Gigabyte DS3 drivers, and the third is the ICHx fix) that you have to run AFTER installing OS X to get the rest of the ports to show up. I have it in case I need it, but at this point, I just have my data drive on the JMicro controller and my boot drive on SATA0, and my DVD-RW on SATA1 with my P5B. If I got another drive, I'd have to use it.

does this has nf4 sata patch included?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but nForce4 SATA doesn't work at all at worst and isn't bootable but corrupts drives at best.

I made a fresh install on 915gm gma900 ich6 with 1.73 pentium m dothan, the only problem is loginwindow which i fixed in v1.3, both intel sse2(1 april) and universal (3 may) kernels worked fine. with universal kernel speedstep also worked. now I'm installing cs3 on it.

I integrated nf4 driver on boot and as a package to one of my dvd but there are problems with nf4 kext, we should wait developers to solve this.

Hi guys an girls.

Been off the osx86 grid a while due to my somewhat useless amd/nforce4 combo.

Just installed uphuck 10.4.9 on a "new" machine, and it (mostly) works! Only real annoyance is that the dock tends to crash. Just disappears and comes up again, sometimes it takes down a few apps.

I´ve run some hd trailers and it works beautifully.

I even took my chances with software update, but avoided the security update. Figured it might affect some of the modified system files.

Still working....

If there´s any specific details you need, just let me know

Spec:

dual Xeon 3.06 ghz(sse2) with HT enabled, shows up as 4 cpu´s, with an nVidia fx5200 and Titan.

Onboard sound bugs a lot, stuffed in a USB soundcard i got from a Behringer mixer, no idea what it is, it just works.

can`t remember the chipset right now, will check next time I open it.

cheers, uphuck!

Howard

To the people who are having the "com.apple.Boot.plist not found" error.... Try formatting your drive as an MBR partition. That worked for me. In Disk Utility, go to the partition tab, click on the 'options' button, and select "Master Boot Record". For some reason, it seems to default to GUID which our BIOS can not read. Good Luck!

Everything seems to work except About This Mac which restarts the finder,

Instantly crashes on AMD SSE3 kernal

Shows up for a second w/ Core Solo then crashes w/ Universal 2 kernal.

setup is an AM2 3500+ chip on an nforce mobo

markav28: Which version of Disk Utility do you have? I also had this option button to select the bootblock type in one version, but in the actual versions this option isn't existing anymore. I now have DiskUtil V10.5.6 on my drive, this one was on the 10.4.6 install dvd. I don't know, are these versions rips of the Leopard version of DiskUtil? Mustn't it be 10.4.x versions on tiger?

OK. I did some more testing on behalf of Inspiron 8600 users:

First, I don't think the boot freeze after the ACPI CA message and Buffers=5230, Buffers=4096

has anything to do with which video package is selected. This is long before the system attempts to load the video driver, and, as stated previously, Natit and Titan are the default drivers that have enabled QE/CI for Inspiron users with NVidia Fx5200 cards in the past. I get the same message with -f -v or -f -v -x on the startup line

I tried both the SSE2 (April 1) kernel and the second Universal kernel with the same result.

*However, when I booted from the DVD, hit F8 and entered rd=disk1s1 -f -v -x (this is a USB flash drive, which is why it's disk1s1), the system did actually boot and allow me to set up a user and log in.

About This Mac showed ACPI, and AppleIntelCPU kexts loaded successfully.

From my limited knowledge of how this works, my guess is that I was able to boot the flashdrive into the GUI from the DVD because it loaded the kernel from the DVD and any of the ones I chose to install and then switched to loading drivers from the flash drive.

I would be happy to try any suggested step-by-step configuration (with or without specific features) to see whether I'm adding anything in or leaving anything out. Question: what is the kernel that boots the install DVD? Is it a full kernel?

Again: the Inspiron 8600 has a Dothan 1.7MHz Pentium M CPU, NV fx5200 video, 1GB RAM, and Intel 855PM (ICH4, I think) chipset. I could see whether there's any difference if I install directly to an IDE drive, but I suspect that that's not relevant to the problem -- unless there's some difference in the USB support built into the kernel that boots the DVD and the various installable kernels for the distribution.

Hi guys,

about nforce4 sata, the driver here in this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...5985&st=700 DOES work well but only for nforce4, nothing newer. If uphuck could integrate that driver as an option on the dvd that would be awesome! It still won't help people with newer nforce chipsets but it could help people like me with older nforce chipsets. Thanks!

OK. I did some more testing on behalf of Inspiron 8600 users:

First, I don't think the boot freeze after the ACPI CA message and Buffers=5230, Buffers=4096

has anything to do with which video package is selected. This is long before the system attempts to load the video driver, and, as stated previously, Natit and Titan are the default drivers that have enabled QE/CI for Inspiron users with NVidia Fx5200 cards in the past. I get the same message with -f -v or -f -v -x on the startup line

I tried both the SSE2 (April 1) kernel and the second Universal kernel with the same result.

*However, when I booted from the DVD, hit F8 and entered rd=disk1s1 -f -v -x (this is a USB flash drive, which is why it's disk1s1), the system did actually boot and allow me to set up a user and log in.

About This Mac showed ACPI, and AppleIntelCPU kexts loaded successfully.

From my limited knowledge of how this works, my guess is that I was able to boot the flashdrive into the GUI from the DVD because it loaded the kernel from the DVD and any of the ones I chose to install and then switched to loading drivers from the flash drive.

I would be happy to try any suggested step-by-step configuration (with or without specific features) to see whether I'm adding anything in or leaving anything out. Question: what is the kernel that boots the install DVD? Is it a full kernel?

Again: the Inspiron 8600 has a Dothan 1.7MHz Pentium M CPU, NV fx5200 video, 1GB RAM, and Intel 855PM (ICH4, I think) chipset. I could see whether there's any difference if I install directly to an IDE drive, but I suspect that that's not relevant to the problem -- unless there's some difference in the USB support built into the kernel that boots the DVD and the various installable kernels for the distribution.

I have the same problem on P4 laptop... it freeze at boot at : IO buffer headers ...

Need help !

Some more data points on my problems with this, based on installing Universal Kernel 2:

System: Dell Inspiron 8600, NV fx5200 video, Intel 855PM chipset, Dothan 1.7ghz Pentium M CPU. Installation is

to a 4GB USB flash drive instead of to a partition on the primary hard drive.

1. After installation, my system does not freeze at the ACPI load and buffers statements if I boot it from the install DVD, press F8, and correctly identify the OSX partition at the command line: for instance, rd=disk2s1 -f -v

However, I'm unable to get it to boot past the ACPI statement when I start from a bootloader on the IDE hard drive. (Previous OSX

versions are fine when I boot to a USB drive from the IDE drive using the BootIT NG bootloader or Chain0 method.)

People having this issue might want to experiment by hitting F8 and trying disk0s1, disk0s2, disk1s1, etc., on the command line --

to see if you can hit on the ID that the bootloader thinks corresponds to the partition. This doesn't work for me. *But my install is on a USB flash drive, that complicates the issue. The key is that if you get the freeze after the ACPI driver, something in

the partition table may be confusing the bootloader.

I do always get a message during bootup that says something like

"com.apple.iokit IOUSB Mass storage class has no dependency." But when I boot from the install DVD,

the process goes past this to the GUI.

2. No wireless networking. When I boot from the DVD, I am able to get OSX to recognize my Broadcom 440x ethernet, after having replaced

IONetworkingFamily,kext with the version from 10.4.6. But I'm unsuccessful at getting it to recognize the Dell

TrueMobile 1450 wireless card. In the past, this was accomplished by using an older version of IO80211Family.kext.

But in this distribution, after I do that, I get a "link load error" for AppleAirport2.kext and a statement that

"IOPCIFamily.kext differs from the requested version." I tried swapping in older versions of IOPCIFamily.kext and

discovered that the 10.4.6 version causes a kernel panic. The error messages persist with the 10.4.8 version, but

I do get the wireless triangle on the menu bar. Because of the failure to load AppleAirport2.kext, though, I'm unable

to turn on the "Airport" card that the system now recognizes. I tried replacing with older versions of AppleAirport.kext and

AppleAirport2.kext, but that didn't help.

3. No sound out of the AppleAC97Audio driver. The system complains that older versions are installed improperly if I try those, no matter how many times I repair permissions, enter chown -R root:wheel chmod -R 755, etc.

4. Nothing but VESA video. The Titan.kext in this distribution doesn't load. I tried renaming and deactivating the extra kexts, NVDANV10, 20, and 40, and also renaming all the GeForce kexts, but I still get a message that says "link load error for NVDANV30Hal.kext VID: Match category IOFrameBuffer exists." I can only assume that the system is trying to load one of the other video drivers that are bundled with the kernel. My recommendation for the next distribution is not to automatically load any video drivers, but to present them on menu options, ATI, GMA910, 950, etc., so that someone with an older NVidia card has a chance to get Titan to work. I don't think Uphuck was aware that Titan and Natit actually work with those older cards under 10.4.8.

lennyb

if your fx5200 worked on 10.4.8 with qe/ci enabled then you should try 10.4.8 nvidia kexts, let me know when you do, then i add an option to install 10.4.8 nvidia kexts.

sambo60

I tried that before, nforce4 sata kext still has problems, it can cause data loss, different checksums are possible even on older nv controllers..

markav28: Which version of Disk Utility do you have? I also had this option button to select the bootblock type in one version, but in the actual versions this option isn't existing anymore. I now have DiskUtil V10.5.6 on my drive, this one was on the 10.4.6 install dvd. I don't know, are these versions rips of the Leopard version of DiskUtil? Mustn't it be 10.4.x versions on tiger?

I have tried with

10.4.9 Intel package

IOATAFamily kext from 10.4.8

AppleACPIPlatform kext from 10.4.8

Universal (3 May 2007)

script to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

And it is always freezing after the line

IO buffer Headers

Need help... I dont even understand the problem !

Edit : If i boot from Dvd bootloader with the command : "rd=disk0s1 -v" it work without problem, what is mean ?

Edit : I tested my old 10.4.5 dvd... and it worked... my i want 10.4.9 !

>If i boot from Dvd bootloader with the command : "rd=disk0s1 -v" it work without problem, what is mean ?

OK. So there are reports from several different sources that a 10.4.9 installation freezes during the boot process right after the ACPI kext loads. But if you boot from the DVD and specify the partition on the command line this doesn't happen.

Anyone smart enough to know what's going on? Is it just that all of us with this problem have screwed up partition tables on our hard drives, or is there actually something being loaded in the kernel on the hard disk that causes the freeze (which is bypassed when you boot from the DVD)?

Also, is anyone else having problems with Dell Truemobile wireless or AC97 sound? (I know Uphuck said the answer to the AC97 sound problem is somewhere else on the site, but if it's just substituting a different AppleAC97Audio.kext, I can testify that this doesn't work for me.)

I did try replacing the Titan.kext on the distribution DVD with the one that works for me in 10.4.8 (along with the supporting NV* files). I still get a load error on NVDANV30Hal.kext. The next line says "VID: Match category for IOFramebuffer already exists." There are some extra video kexts in this distribution that I don't think exist in 10.4.8. Anyone know what's going on with this?

lennyb
titan is the same titan.

copy

GeForce.kext

GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle

GeForce3GLDriver.bundle

GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle

GeForceGA.plugin

GeForceVADriver.bundle

NVDANV10Hal.kext

NVDANV20Hal.kext

NVDANV30Hal.kext

NVDANV40Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

from 10.4.8 and try again.

Hallo, again!

After testing a while I am surprised, that this system is running so good on my system!

I installed a lot of Software without any grat problems:

• - CS3 Suite
  • - Office 2004
  • - Quark Express 7
  • - Toast 8
  • - iLife 06
  • - iWork 06
  • - Transmission
  • - Roxio Crunsh
  • - VLC Player
  • - Suffit Expander 11
  • - Lime Wire

Todady I will test Corel 11...

Here are some Problems I discovered while working with this (1.2) Version an Windows XP on same PC:

• - When booting Windows after working with OS-X the System Time is 2 hours back
  • - I installed OS-X on the 3rd Partition of my 2nd SATA drive (Win boots from the 1st partition of this drive). both SATA drives are recogniced and I can read the NTFS Partitions. But my both ATA drives can not be mounted on booting and cannot be mounted in disk-utility (no great problem, because there are only games on it)
  • There are some problems with the Dock, I think, because CandyBar can change the Finder Icons, but not the Dock Icons... and after using CandyBar Office2004 did not work anymore and had to be re-installed
  • I am using a HP Photosmart C5180 connected via Network. With some Problems I managed to install the Printer, but the HP Assistent does not recognice the device in the Network so I cannot use the scanner.
  • I tried to setup Parralels to get full access on my NTFS Devices - but it refused to be installed
  • OS-X crashes (boots up, shows the desktop, but does not notice any mouse-click or keyboard) when my HFS external USB Drive is connected while booting. When I connect it after the booting it works fine!
  • I have the same Language-Problem as naquaada
  • Well everyone nows: About this mac does not work...

I think thats all!

My whishes for 1.3 are:

• NTFS Driver
  • working Language selection
  • less or no aplications like firefox etc. (there are newer Versions in the i-Net and everyone can download the app he wants to use)
  • a good documentation for beginners (describe exactly which driver and kernel is for what)

Big thanx! Great work until now!

post-108003-1179840736_thumb.png

post-108003-1179843008_thumb.png

Crady: I also have the two-hours-back problem on my system too. Also do my friends with our Asus A8N-SLi series. We thought it was a board problem, but now it seems to be something different. Tip: Activate in Windows and OS X the function to get time via internet.

GreetinX from the Other Side!

@ naquaada:

look at this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=51812

it is a different point of view reading the Time in Windows and Mac...

To all other:

I have just applied the Security Update with the "How To" from a1K0n:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=49088

and I used the new loginwindow and now the "About this MAC" works!!

post-108003-1179852643_thumb.png